[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey guys its been awhile since I post here. I plan on doing something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: humvee.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
humvee.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
hey guys its been awhile since I post here. I plan on doing something a little crazy and like your opinion.

I plan on buying a military Humvee from a auction site fixing it up a little and driving it on the street.

Does anyone have any experience with them? is this a good idea?
>>
>>16048192
>*tips fedora
>>
oh and I plan on making it to look something like this.
>>
>>16048192
auction sites are notoriously awful for vehicles. however, if this is military surplus, it might be slightly better than normal "as-is" auction vehicles.
>>
>>16048200
If that's the case, why don't you just get a jeep?
>>
>>16048192
It's not able to be registered for road use faggot
>>
>>16048192
Milspec humvees take a lot of paperwork to be street legal
>>
File: img_6019-600x450.jpg (70KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
img_6019-600x450.jpg
70KB, 600x450px
>>16048208
much cheaper if I get it from a auction...I most likely make it look like this
>>
>>16048214
>>16048215
yeah I did a lot of research it is very possible to make it street legal
>>
Every single one of these has been brutally fucked, right?
>>
>>16048192
>Sight unseen
>$10,000+
>Unregisterable in 48 States
>Maintained by retarded 18 year olds that hate their jobs
>Designed to milk to federal government for spare parts costs
>Massive diesel engine that makes almost as much power as an early 80s Civic and almost as good fuel economy as a big turbo rotary
Sounds good, OP. Pull the trigger on it.
>>
I hope you have the money to buy two or three so you can cannibalize them to keep a single one running once shit starts falling apart around you.

Good luck if you think you can manage to just buy parts and repair shit yourself on the fly like an older honda.
>>
Wouldn't be practical.

First is the powertrain, it's 1980's diesel tech which is slow and has its problems. The engine has no turbocharger and can barley cruise at 55mph. The transmission is a 3 speed auto so high school dropout army grunts are able to operate it.

Second comfort. The seats are steel with a foam pad on top. That should tell you enough about them. They are very different from the H1 civilian versions. They are very wide and difficult to maneuver on the streets.

Third is maintenance. The 1980's was when military vehicles started to become needlessly over complex to suck up tax dollars and the humvee is no exception. The wheels are a special kind of complex, parts are scarce but luckily with the military seeling them parts will become more available.

Weekend fun vehicle? Maybe. Daily driver? Absolutely not. H1's are a lot better, especially with the Duramax engines and modern transmissions.
>>
>>16048192
>>16048192

They break down very often, even from sitting in a garage. Theyre a bitch to maintain and obviously very expensive. They get zero gas mileage. They are a real hassle to make legal.

Basically a massive moneypit. But hey if driving a big hulking wad of steel at low speeds for huge sums of money is your cup of tea then go for it.
>>
>>16048221
> auction

For fucks sake, man. If you want something boxy and rugged, get a jeep Cherokee late 90s. For the price you will pay for an auction hummer, you could get a Cherokee plus upgrades and still be under the cost of a hummer. Be smart.
>>
>>16048192
>is this a good idea?

It is a bad idea in any state that has emissions requirements. It's large size makes it impossible to park in most places because the military wheels will touch the painted lines of 90% of the parking lots in my city. Only places those cars can fit is costco and sam's club parking lots because those spaces are painted to be wide enough to fit a shopping cart between two parked cars.

As for parking garages, even though the entrance is tall, some of the beams inside may be down to 8 feet 6 inches. The height differs state to state, but my state building codes allow 8' 6" clearance.
>>
>>16048192
>I plan on buying a military Humvee from a auction site fixing it up a little and driving it on the street.

You'd better be clear on what "street legal" means. The auction site may tell you street legal and hope you don't know better. In my state, there are multiple definitions of street legal. There is street legal for intermittent driving (DD use not allowed) so that the car can be transported from one location to another such as an exhibition or a maintenance shop. It is not approved for regular usage so if the police see such a type of car parked at the shopping mall, he would deem it is being used outside of the legally allowed restrictions and ticket it for tow to impound. An overweight hummer will give you a bigger towing bill too and since it takes up two parking spots in impound, you will pay for oversized storage.
>>
>>16048192
Sounds like bait, but in case it's not.

I was a PL and XO in a maintenance Co for ~2 years and watched my guys deal with these shits day in and day out the whole....and they weren't even combat-abused.

Most military guys will flat out tell you that these are a joke by modern standards. They're moneypits and I can't fathom the ass-pain in getting one road legal. Not to mention the entire interior is nothing but hard steel--there's a a reason we wear our helmets when we're riding around in this stuff. It's not like the padded interior of a civilian vehicle, it's brain trauma waiting to happen.

Ranch truck used daily? Maybe. Road vehicle? Buy a used civilian model if you need to rub one out to a some ancient .mil tech. Otherwise, drop it.
>>
humvees are heavy equipment, not cars

it's like saying a backhoe can be used as transportation due to having 4 wheels and en engine
>>
File: IMG_1225.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1225.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I own four street legal Marine Corps HMWWVs and a fifth body, frame, and engine that hasn't been built. They're fun, but would not be a good idea for a daily driver at all.
>>
>>16048844
how did you register them for street use?
>>
>>16048486
But the Humvee is way cooler.
>>
If you just want a military looking truck check out a Kaiser M715, you can get them for a cheap and most of the street ones have been converted to small block Chevy so they are super easy to work on
>>
>>16048244

this.
>>
>>16048844

Friend of mine DDed CUCV for few years in big euro city.

6.2 diesel 3 speed auto, nothing wrong with it, was still faster than my hilux, size was also not a problem.
>>
>>16048865
Exactly. How hard is it to understand that someone just doesn't WANT Jeep? I say just get it OP. Sounds like a fun idea.
>>
What exactly prevents them from being street legal? Is it by government order or just some stupid shit like not gaving the correct lights or safety bumpers
>>
>>16048933
Thats only 1.9m wide though. The size of a plain old Transit.

Don't know why everyone makes such a fus about "big" American trucks.
>>
>>16048192
All these cucks telling you that its impossible or unpractical; dont listen to them!

Well... maybe the unpractical... but so are most fun cars.

Here in TX, theyre piss easy to make road legal. An unarmored one should get 15+mpg if you leave it stock.

Will it be harder to find parts for? Yes.
Will it be an uncomfortable/slow ride? Yes.
Will it be the coolest damn thing in the parking lot? Fuck yeah!

If you have the money to buy one and fix it up, go for it OP.

Btw, just as a point of how wrong most of these people are; i went to college with a guy who daily drives a 5 ton (bigger duec and a half) around galveston. Sure its probably a bitch to park, but he drives it all the time. He got it from an auction place like youre looking at.
>>
If you want to do it, do it. But an ex military Humvee with 30,000 miles on has probably had more major repairs than a normal car with 300,000 miles on it.
>>
>>16049915
The Hummvers are different though.
They are explicitly forbidden from on road use. They even make you sign a thing that says for off road use only when you buy one.

The Deuceros never had restrictions regarding on-road use.
>>
I see an ex-military one in traffic almost every day, and I live in the second-most congested city int he US.

And yes, it's fuck-hueg. A friend of mine in the Marine Corps took the driver school and said it was a great 4-wd.
>>
>>16048858
Well, these HMMWVs have been privately owned for over 10 years. They aren't a part of this new auctioned off batch. There's a way to get these registered, but I don't know about the new ones. Pretty sure the new ones come with something on the title that prevents them from road use.

>>16048933
CUCV's nowhere near as big as the the HMMWV
>>
>>16049960
>They are explicitly forbidden from on road use.
They're not, they just don't have equipment required to title them in most states. Florida will give a VIN to anything with wheels, though. The disclaimer is just there to make sure the buyer doesn't expect to drive it home and understands that it'll be a bitch to get it legal.
>>
Do eet. why not? bunch haters on here....they look cool and can run through a lot of stuff.....and you don't see too many on the road, so unique then
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.