[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /o/ have any tips on cleaning fouled plugs? I just replaced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: serveimage.png (283KB, 891x487px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
283KB, 891x487px
Does /o/ have any tips on cleaning fouled plugs?

I just replaced my old set, but they're fine aside from some heavily caked on carbon. Some people recommend burning it off with a torch, but is there anything I can soak it in to just dissolve it?

Not that I'm against using a torch or anything, just curious.
>>
File: 1475562361819.gif (2MB, 480x266px) Image search: [Google]
1475562361819.gif
2MB, 480x266px
>>16044709
AFAIK OP, I've never personally heard of a way to de-foul used plugs. I assume it's because of the small cost to replace them. I would recommend trying to clean one in professional grade parts washer and seeing what happens. If you don't have access to that sort of thing, try carb cleaner.
>>
File: sparkplugcleaner.jpg (161KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sparkplugcleaner.jpg
161KB, 1200x1200px
>>16044709
There are spark plug cleaners of various types but they all seem to do about the same thing which is use air to sandblast the working end of the plug.
>>
>>16044790
I have a small battery powered one for using when I'm out at the dunes.
They're only good on old style olugs- newer styles with those tiny friggin center electrodes will get destroyed.
>>
gasket cleaner or sandpaper
>>
WD40 or degreaser with sandpaper but from my experience they go shit again within half an hour. Just buy new plugs.
>>
you can soak them in gasoline.

Petrol won't work though.
>>
>>16044860
I've got new plugs. I want to keep these around as spares.

The problem with sandpaper or steel-bristled brushes is that the plugs have 4 electrodes and I can't get anything in there.
>>
>>16044933
Dot 3 brake fluid, it'll eat through anything
>>
theyre like $15 who cares
>>
Just wire brush and put them back in.
>>
File: Top Tier gasoline-valve.jpg (22KB, 550x275px) Image search: [Google]
Top Tier gasoline-valve.jpg
22KB, 550x275px
>>16044709
Switch to higher detergent Top Tier type gasoline to reduce the carbon deposits problem.
>>
>>16045707
>kirkland gasoline is p cash
>>
>>16044709
i bead blast fouled plugs for aircraft engines. Then wire wheel the threads and air blast the whole thing to make sure none of the bead blast media is on or in it.

aircraft engines run on leaded fuel so lead/carbon fouling tend to build up around the ceramic. So we use a jiggler with little narrow fingers to work the lead beads out of the cavity. don't think you need to do this for car though.
>>
>>16045755
why dont you use new plugs?
>>
>>16045762
beats me honestly. I guess cost. each plug is about 30 bucks and each cylinder needs 2 of them. so a 6cyl needs 360 bucks worth of plugs if we changed all of them.

service manual says to inspect and clean plugs every 100hrs and replace as needed. Its common for a plug to last multiple 100hr service intervals with out cracking ceramics or loosing spark. If its still sparky and free of cracks we keep using it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.