[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just for shits and giggles I looked up how much I could get a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
Just for shits and giggles I looked up how much I could get a porsche for in my area. Found a 2000 Boxster with 96k for $8900 asking. Tempting.

This would be my second car and quite a step up from my POS chevy. I drive pizza, so I spend a lot of time in my car and kind of want something better.

Concerns. I'm a college student stuck with high living costs to be near campus, and this is decently expensive. I've never owned a manual transmission car, and the stop and go traffic is likely to fuck me up for a while. Repairs are expensive. RWD is no bueno in the snow and ice. Premium gas = $$ when driving for a living.

I've read common problems are the IMS and rear oil gasket. At 96k if its IMS was going to go its probably already been replaced, but it might be coming up on that again depending on when/what it was replaced with. What else is likely to be hoopajuped?

Pros. Its nice. Its fast. Status or some shit.

Any input would be great
>>
>>16031521
Its rwd but its also mid-engine, so traction won't be too bad in the snow. That being said, start with an mr2 if you want an MR layout, that way if you crash you didn't spend nearly 9k go crash
>>
>hey /o/ i'm a college kid who wants to deliver pizza in a rapidly aging porsche

do it.
>>
>>16031558
that simultaneously makes it sound like a worse idea, but even more fun.
>>
How reliable would/could this be as a daily driver?
>>
>>16031521
They're actually very, very slow. Everyone knows it's old and cheap. You'll get killed with maintenance if you're delivering.
>>
>>16031521
I drove a Boxster S in the snow for a couple of winters. The wide tires tend to "float" over hard packed snow, but it's fine in slush and muck. If you're concerned, just leave the stability control on. The stability control keeps the car straight without bogging down too much on the throttle (unlike BMWs that cut the throttle at the first hint of wheel spin). The small cabin heats up quickly, but any ice on the soft-top makes creaking and cracking noises until it melts or blows off.

>>16031547
The Boxster is significantly better handling than the MR2. Much greater chance of crashing an MR2 than a Boxster.
>>
>>16032519
That's what I'm worried about. 15-20k city miles a year is rough as hell on any vehicle.
>>
>>16032539
>any ice on the soft-top makes creaking and cracking noises until it melts or blows off.

Sounds comfy
>>
>pizza delivery
>in a porsche

autismo
>>
>>16031521
I bought a Boxster in my second year of university and still drive it 3 years later.
If you do all the work yourself it's not a bar car to own at all, and I'd be more worried about the air-cooled separator, the IMS is a non-issue at 96k miles
As another anon said, it's slow as fuck bit the handling is amazing. For winter just put on some narrow winter tires and you'll be fine

But I wouldn't deliver pizzas in it
>>
>>16032570
Sumit spotted

dude what are you talking about the heat from the engine will keep the pizzas in the trunk warm
>>
>>16033641
kek
>>
>>16032558
this

own 2 cars. not one for everything. then you dont have to compromise.
>>
>>16032451
Surprisingly good. Running costs are lower than an Audi or BMW in the same price range, and the two trunks make it surprisingly practical.
>>
>>16031521
>hoopajuped
>been seeing other phrases like "skookum" and "horrible fright" in other threads lately
Alright, which one of you faggots watches AvE?
>>
>>16033808
Guilty as charged. First time I've been noticed
>>
>>16031521
You only have one life anon
Also think how much fun work will be
>>
Do it faggot.
>delivering pizza in a Boxster
You'll be a legend
>>
>>16033808
I do, but pretty much everyone calls Harbor Freight Horrible Frieght/Fright
>>
>>16033891
>delivering pizza in a porsche anything
fucking this. so hard

if i ever got to the point of never needing to work anymore (or working less shifts in general), i'd do retarded shit like deliver pizza in a lambo or some shit.
>>
as a fellow college student I think every bad thing you mentioned would have turned me away from it. Your pros definitely don't make up for it and it doesn't sound like you harbor a love for the car either. Certainly a horrible choice for delivery driving, likely to receive less tips.
But this is probably a bait thread, Or you've already decided to do it anyway, so go ahead and do it.
>>
>>16034032
Actually was looking for a no.
>>
>>16031521
status?

a boxter has NO status.

even girls know it's the bitch porsche, literally only existing so they can fund 911 development.

ok, perhaps not that far, but yea girls know it's not a real porsche.

what do you think men are going to think about it?
i mean don't get me wrong, buy what you want...but you are the one mentioning status here. don't think a boxter has status, because you'll just get laughed at. better you hear it from us than after you buy.
>>
>>16035245
Tbh no one gives a shit. Get what you want OP.
>>
File: 1476586518060.jpg (32KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
1476586518060.jpg
32KB, 540x359px
986fag here

is it an S or a non S?

Generally the IMS and RMS are swapped out with each clutch job. If the car hasn't had the clutch replaced recently you could haggle with that and the ims/rms.

Mine has been cheaper to run than my old audi S4 and bmw 3 series, having a pretty good time.

Clutch feel is probably the best feeling clutch i've ever felt in any car, and in stop and go traffic it really isn't bad at all. Only thing to get used to is how heavy the brake pedal is.

00' boxsters also have plastic rear windows that go yellow/crack. make sure it isnt too damaged or that means a new top. (not hard to install)

the car IS rwd but keep in mind its an open differential.
I daily mine and get around 19mpg doing city driving only.

If i were to be doing what you're planning to do though, i wouldn't be too sure of the purchase. The 986 interior is nice, but it's deffinately a little cramped and isnt the most comfortable to get in and out of.
>>
Hope you enjoy buying Porsche parts.

For real though, you could get a used Toyota Tundra for that money, and those practically never break. And it's roomy enough to fuck in.
>>
>rwd is bad in snow maymay

I drove a 2011 mx5 with no traction control on shitty all season tires in Winnipeg for the whole 7 month winter there. Winnipeg has the worst winters in Canada and this winter was the worst one seen in 20 years.

I did absolutely fine. The biggest thing to learn is throttle control and what to do if the rear tries to kick out. If you get the boxster go practice drifting in an empty parking lot for an hour or two to learn how to handle the car correctly. Winter tires aren't needed but would make the season easier to drive in.

Rwd is actually fun in the winter because you can drift everywhere.
>>
>>16033641
Fuck off Martin
>>
>>16031521
>2000 boxster
>Nice
>Fast
Lol it's neither.
Their McPlastic interiors are some of the worst to come out at the time.
>>
>>16035898
>Brosifine's opinions
>worth a damn
>>
>>16035912
Lol okay.
I've had one.
They're fucking awful.
Look up their 0-60 and skid pad.
Early boxsters fucking suck.
If you wanna blow 9k on a convertible sports car get a miata restore it and boost it.
>>
>>16035922
I was under the impression that you didn't buy anything other than BMW 3 Series which are twice as reliable than Toyotas to satisfy your supreme ego
>>
>>16031521
don't get it
put it towards a home instead
>>
>>16035941
Well regardless I'm going to need a new car soon. My chevy's tranny is fucked and is probably going to go within the next year or so
>>
>>16035414
Same experience here, DD'd a mustang for 4 years, good stuff.
>>
>>16031521
>Its nice.
the interior is absolutely abysmal
>Its fast.
not really
>Status or some shit.
even old people call it a gay porsche
it's even gayer than a fucking miata and that's quite an achievement
it's still a fun car though
just a bit expensive to maintain, why do you think a car with a porsche badge would be this cheap?
>>
>>16037235
Only insecure fuccbois attach a sexual preference to inanimate objects
>>
>>16031521
Why would you not get the superior Cayman?
>>
>>16038527
He's right about it being slow and having a shit interior, but normies will fawn over it and it's still a great car, the "hurr durr gay/not a real porsche" nonsense was started by Porsche themselves
>>
>>16039044
This. Porsche soon realised that the MR layout a best and that they created something that could potentially be better than the 911 if they gave it a better engine, and we can't have that because "muh heritage".
>>
>>16039044
It is slow, but the interior isn't shit, it's just ugly

Still a stupidly fun car, and Carrera engine and LS swaps exist
>>
>>16039387
And Audi swaps, but I don't know why you'd want to do that.
>>
File: 90328.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
90328.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
Talk shit about the interior all you want, but their cupholder design is on point.
>>
Bump for keks
>>
>>16039475
that's a terrible cupholder, could maybe support a paper cup, and it would probably fall out and spill everywhere

0/10 would not take on the touge
>>
>>16041438
It's for normal drinks not double big gulps
>>
I own a manual mustang and live in SF city, it is also my first stick shift car but believe it or not, it's actually not so bad as long as you don't get caught in the bay bridge traffic around 4pm on weekdays. Learn how not to ride the clutch while stay slow.
>>
>>16031521
>RWD is no bueno in the snow and ice.
wut
>>
>>16035922
9k on a miata?
>>
>16 year old luxury roadster
>as a daily driver/job vehicle

You're going to get fucked by whoevwr you have fix it and your boss is gonna fire you for breaking down on the job too much.
>>
>>16041444
sorry you have the thirst of a four year old girl you dainty little thing
>>
>>16041657
Enjoy your diabetes in a cup you lard ass
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.