[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of /o/ into skateboarding? reason i'm asking is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: griptape.jpg (484KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
griptape.jpg
484KB, 900x1200px
Do any of /o/ into skateboarding?

reason i'm asking is Dracarys is just about complete and i want to griptape the floorboards up to the white line in the pic.

i've never used griptape before and the stuff i have seems rather stiff, i'm not sure how i'm going to get it to curve correctly on the compound curve at the bottom of the legshields.

any advice on this /o/ ?
>>
i've looked at various videos on youtube, but they only cover the subject of getting this stuff onto decks which although curved at each end have no compound convex curves of the size and shape of the legshields.
>>
>>16023451
i have no idea what the fuck your pic is but i've used grip tape to fix a steering wheel before. ms paint the area your talking about.
>>
File: DSCF4076.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4076.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>16023462
it's this without the engine, wheels, saddles etc
>>
File: griptape.jpg (491KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
griptape.jpg
491KB, 900x1200px
>>16023462
the area within the white oblong, just he flat floorboard section from the rear curve up to the white line running at an angle about 1/5 of the way up the legshield
>>
>>16023494
You can score the grip tape with a razor blade on the corner you want to make
>>
>>16023527
yeah i had thought of that but i don't wat to leave unsightly cut marks or overlaps.

is there any way of softening or stretching griptape like you would with vinyl, it seems too robust for that kind of manipulation.

i'm kinda tjinking i should start inside the depression and work outwards but i dont want wrinkles either.

kinda stumped, hoped some of /o/ may have used this stuff at some point on more than decks
>>
You can do this >>16023527 or make it neat by making cardboard templates of the pattern you want and test fit to the scooter then transfer the shape/pattern to the griptape and cut the shape out from the griptape then carefully place it where you want.
I'd recommend mob griptape if you want something really sticky to your shoes, don't be afraid asking the local skate shop for it
>>
>>16023549
It will curve a bit but not too much since most skateboards have a concave shape. I'd treat sticking it on as if it were a sticker but if you get air pockets you can pop em with a tac
>>
>>16023494
>>16023615
Yeah it'll definitely work out, the more complex curves the more messy it gets.
>>
>>16023595
i already bought two longboard sheets from my local skate shop, no idea of brand but it's real coarse like 40 grit paper, the cardboard idea is great, thanks

>>16023615
bubbles and pockets are fine, i can pierce those and hopefully they won't leave any tell tale marks. i think if i cut the tape it would end up "fraying" at the cut edges.

thanks guys.
>>
>>16023549
MOB brand grip tape has tons of microscopic holes in it to prevent creasing. I'm a skateboarder
>>
>>16023862
And expensive shit, too.
>>
>>16023890
>>16023862
cheers i'll bear that in mind if i fuck this up with the stuff i have.
>>
File: 1475194276897.jpg (82KB, 787x784px) Image search: [Google]
1475194276897.jpg
82KB, 787x784px
>>16023429
I skate. Griptape is super sticky and you on;y get one shot at putting it on right. You're probably better off cutting into pieces first then peel the backing off or you'll wind up with a mess, especially with lots of bends.
There is absolutely no stretch in griptape.
>>
>>16023922
thanks, i think i'll take Dracarys to the skate shop and get the guys there to do it, i'll only fuck it right up.
>>
>>16023977
/diy/ bitchtits
>>
>>16023986
do you have any idea how slow that board is? my Vespa is quicker.
>>
>>16023494
anon who did his steering wheel in both skate board and handle grip tape here. cutting it isn't to terrible of an idea skate board grip tape is a pain to get around shit. your going to have to do some /cgl/ level planing to keep it from being a mess. you could try having two layers of grip tape but that may be a little difficult to work out.
could get aesthetic with it and try to work out a sequence of single lines of tape with enough space between them that you dont have to do much of the curves.
>>
>>16024020
I meant do it yourself dipshit. They'll hook you up nice at a skateshop tho.
>>
>>16023494
I say go for it, it'd be cool as fuck. It might be difficult though, the closest thing I've ever done to that is carbon fiber wrap a laptop and that wasnt really hard, just time consuming.
>>
>>16024032
i have some contrasting red my son bought for a penny board so theres shit loads left over, so maybe cutting isn't suck a bad idea.

shouldn't have used the /'s then eh?>>16024039

>>16024049
i'm assuming the adhesive will soften with heat, so i might use my hobby iron i use for shrinking Solarfilm on r/c aeroplanes so i get at least a little bit of slide
>>
>>16023890
>5-6 bucks
Not really, Jessup is about the same but is weak as shit
>>
>>16024070
Eh I'd use a heat gun
>>
>>16024187
thought about that, either the heat will dissipate to quickly or i'll over heat everything and mess up the paint on the other side of the legshield or surrounding area, the hobby iron is far more controlable

>>16024153
shit, i got ripped off, i paid £10 per sheet
>>
>>16023429
You can make grip paint by mixing sand into paint. I did it all the time when a board would start to peel.
>>
>>16024239
see this is why i love /o/

thank you, thank you, thank you.

there is always someone thinking outside the box on here.
this is a perfect solution
simple, easy and do-able.
quick trip to the local Gowf Course (yes that is the correct spelling) and i can steal some coarse sand from a bunker, matt black paint, jobs a good un.

i owe you a beer.
>>
>>16024218
Eh that's okay even if you got it from Amazon it'll cost the same.
>>
>>16024270
updates?
a friend of mine just managed to stick broken recycled glass unto his board, works great
>>
>>16024239
How good are the results from that?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.