[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like your opinion br/o/s, the pic is my car, and it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

I'd like your opinion br/o/s,

the pic is my car, and it is the best car ive owned so far and I have no intention of selling it, however I think i want something else to compliment it.
i live in the snow belt and we get a lot, so even alternating winter/summer/track will only get me through a mild storm, and if there is more than a little bit of snow im pretty uncomfortable driving it.
so what should I buy? Im pretty sure i need awd but im not ready to stop daily driving a car with lots of character and a unique look. im not into SUVs or trucks. I want a high top speed, since the abarth is quick not fast. I would like to spend less than 12k or so, and pay cash, but could potentially make payments on something as expensive as 30-40k, maybe even higher if its worth it.

tldr cheap fast awd with character
>>
used WRX with snow tyres = winter beater supreme.
>>
there are like 4 subies on my street, i dont dislike them but one thing i like about my abarth is that i usually dont see another one
>>
>>16017846

There's a reason you see so many Subarus, and it's because they're some of the best cars for foul weather.

There's a reason you're the only one in your state who owns an Abarth, and that's because it's FCA shit.
>>
80k miles on the clock and its never had a single problem, how is it shit? its not that fast, but it feels quick because its light and its fun to drive every single time. gets 30 mpg with a lead foot.
>>
>>16017917
Does this mean it's the new miata?
>>
no its just a 2012 abarth 500, but its fun
>>
>>16018230
>FWD
>30mpg
>Like a miata?

Nope, I'd say 17-24 mpg is a NA/NB miata range. Also, the miata is so godly because of how easily you can oversteer or understeer it at will despite the short wheelbase and low power. The 500 is an understeering plow.
>>
>>16018269

17-24MPG is also WRX range, which can still be made to under or oversteer at will because it has a substantial wheelbase, actual power, and comes in sedan or wagon trim for your choice of practicality.
>>
File: 1476041655963.jpg (208KB, 631x642px)
1476041655963.jpg
208KB, 631x642px
>>16017797
>fiat
>>
>>16017797
Just buy a good set of snow tires like everybody in europe does.
>>
>>16018354
I've spent all year watching WRX's and STI's attempt to autocross.

All but one has understeered like a snowplow. I have no doubt you can set one up real nice but man would I not want to be stuck in one of those.

OP sounds like you want a Mitsubishi since Subaru's don't have enough character for you (which you actually mean to say "I wanna be a special snowflake! Treat me special!"). But it sounds like you want a winter beater that isn't a beater, which kind of defeats the purpose, you're basically looking at cars better than the Abarth. Don't get me wrong, I love the Abarth, I very nearly bought one when it came out but what you're asking for doesn't make much sense.

But in for an honest suggestion, a used Civic Si, you live on a paved road in a city in the US, you don't 'need' AWD.

God it makes zero sense that your beater car that you're not afraid to get wrecked is going to cost more than your 'special' car...

You could also start checking out Audi's to fulfill your special snowflake syndrome. Maybe a TT tickles your fancy or you spring for the practicality of an A3/A4. Or hell go full retard and try to find an Sx MT Avant.
>>
>>16018447
>God it makes zero sense that your beater car that you're not afraid to get wrecked is going to cost more than your 'special' car...

I should clarify: when your 'special' car is still in production and depreciating heavily. I get not wanting to drive something like a Miata or S2000 or even a Mustang or Camaro in terrible snowy weather... but it's a hot hatch that's worth $12k at best, and next year it will be worth $10k, and the year after that $9k...
>>
File: f24148832a.jpg (424KB, 1600x1200px)
f24148832a.jpg
424KB, 1600x1200px
>>16018354
As it happens... I had an STi for 6 years. It actually got better fuel mileage than the miata. I once got 31 mpg on a 2-hour drive.

The STi was understeery as fuck. Oversteer required:
>Turn away from upcoming corner slightly.
>Lift off throttle.
>Flick wheel toward corner.
>Throttle as fuck.

My miata oversteers sweepers, hairpins, and even under braking.
>>
>>16018463
i live in a weird area, part city part rough country so i need something that can handle both without sucking it up and buying a YJ or 4runner or something like that, i commute a shit ton for work. i dont thing a TT could do it, but i dont know if an EVO is snowflake-y enough for my tastes, and i dont know if a civic SI can handle my winters. is there anything im not thinking of?
>>
also i dont give a fuck what my car is worth because i paid 14k for it in 2014, and i dont intend on selling it ever.
>>
american mfk diss fiat

but also vote for hillary and will have house flattened by mexicans and muslims

fiat wins haha
>>
>>16017880
>being this salty
Where did Fiat touch you, baby?
>>
File: zqWrAfH.jpg (235KB, 1024x683px)
zqWrAfH.jpg
235KB, 1024x683px
Someone should get a SVX. Its a Subaru that's not a WRX, its all wheel drive, and it has a flat 6. And they are pretty rare.
>>
>>16019338
i really like the SVX and wasnt aware of it before this, thank you!
is there anything like it that wouldnt require a manual swap? like a similar car that can be had with a factory manual?
>>
>>16018574
>this explanation

its like how I took every corner because of the awd on my 04 wrx

Did you replace the wheel? a smaller wheel helped like crazy for mine
>>
File: f23698392.jpg (377KB, 1502x1127px)
f23698392.jpg
377KB, 1502x1127px
>>16020940

I never replaced the wheel, no. I didn't find it too hard; the STi has enough power and 3 LSDs so you don't need to go full-lock or anything like that.

Because I feel like talking about it, I put on:
-Dealer-option SPT intake for the turbo sounds.
-Cobb catted downpipe (nasioc hadn't solved the boost creep issue by 2008, otherwise I would've gone full catless.
-GReddy EVO2 cat-back.
-Rotas with Blizzaks for Michigan winters (didn't want to fuck up the BBSs).
-Cobb AccessPort v1 tuned to +19 psi for 93/94 octane only. *

* I personally (at age 19) datalogged and tuned it. I bought a laptop just for the purpose, and a Tactrix OBD-II to USB cable to hook up to the car. RomRaider and EcuFlash were used. I'd datalog going to and from work, then I'd transfer the files to my home desktop and check out what was going on in MS Excel or Somat InField then I'd change things bit-by-bit.

...Damn I wish I hadn't sold it, but I kept getting speeding tickets and insurance was killing me.
>>
>>16021231
i have 195/45 16s so no blizzaks for me, im stuck with pirelli snowcontrols which are ok, but my friends with abarths with bigger wheels than me really like the blizzaks for winter.

my abarth has gotten me 9 speeding tickets in two years of ownership
>>
also everyone should stop what they are doing and see if these tires come in your size. federal ss595 summers. i love these tires so much in the summer and in my size they are 50 BUCKS A POP!
>>
File: 018a.jpg (981KB, 1792x1120px) Image search: [Google]
018a.jpg
981KB, 1792x1120px
>>16021731
I had gotten 9 tickets in 6 years and my insurance was threatening to drop me. After they told me that, a cop caught me going 80 in a 55. He had to pull a U-turn in a grassy ditch median, so I had 200-300 yards on him and I throttled it. I ended up in a 15-mile police chase that took me to 173 mph weaving through traffic.

I got away, but goddamn it scared the shit out of me for so long. I am still ashamed of what I did; risking innocent peoples' lives just to get out of a ticket. I knew I couldn't handle it anymore. I mostly sold it to pay off college and the insurance was too high, but that police chase certainly helped push me toward the 'sell' option.
>>
>>16022570
damn man thats crazy. im surprised your insurance wanted to drop you after only 9. mine hasnt threatened to drop me or anything but my rate is pretty rough. the worst ticket ive gotten was 98 in a 65. I wouldnt ever try to run in my abarth though, its mostly stock and tops out at 141.
>>
File: f24862632.jpg (553KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
f24862632.jpg
553KB, 1600x1200px
>>16022669
Well most cop cars can't hit 140. The newest Charger SS police cars top out at 150, so you may have a chance (I wouldn't recommend it though, I did it as a knee-jerk reaction and regretted it immediately).

Also, after running I came home and looked up all the laws on this shit. Police in most areas are actually not allowed to chase you just for speeding unless you stopped, then ran after the cop pulls over. The theory is that a pursuit puts more innocent lives in danger than letting the speeder go. That said, this cop (state trooper though) chased the shit out of me in his charger even though the county had a no-chase policy.

I was terrified for months that the cops would show up at my door one day. I looked up the police blotter and news for weeks. So much regret. Hell, three years later and I still feel shitty about it.
>>
mazdaspeed 6
>>
>>16021745
Thats cheap as fuck
>>
>>16022710
they usually only show up to peoples houses when they post incriminating videos without "filmed in mexico" in the description
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.