[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you get into cars /o/? I wanna learn more about them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: download.jpg (10KB, 275x183px)
download.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
How did you get into cars /o/? I wanna learn more about them but I don't even know where to begin.
>>
I wanted to put in a marble consol into a saturn sl2
The rest us history
>>
>>16016315
Friend with project cars.
>>
>>16016315
youtube n google
>>
you can start by buying one

you dont "get into" cars. you just know about them and then give your opinion. or if youre on /o/ you just give you opinion and skip over the knowing part.

how does one "get into" golf or "get into" football.
>>
>>16016315

unlock the door
open it
get in
>>
>>16016315
Initial D... just hang around here and you will pick shit up
>>
>>16016351
terrible advice, end yourself loser
>>
>>16016337
I haven't even watched initial d I just chose that picture because it's an iconic car
>>
>>16016360
impolying inisharu dee isn't the best way now for someone to get into cars

they watch all these weeb shitboxes and then go learn what all those fancy car terms actually mean
>>
Would playing something like Forza Horizons 3 or Driveclub help me learn more about cars?
>>
>>16016351
> listening to /o/

ISHIGGITYDIGGITTDONUT
>>
>>16016416
Sure kid, just play with a manual and you'll be fine.
>>
>>16016315
Define "into cars"

>rattling off specs and laptimes
do your research and give satan your virginity to satan
>maintaining and modifying
buy $500 car and $1500 in tools and manuals
>driving
buy a miata and weld the diff

you can combine the last two
>>
File: GT3.jpg (95KB, 450x468px) Image search: [Google]
GT3.jpg
95KB, 450x468px
-Got a PS2 bundled with GT3 in 2002.
-Got Midnight Club II in 2003.
-Saw TFaTF soon thereafter (lived in Germany, didn't know about it until I looked up 'street racing' online after MC II)
-Moved to Alabama mid-2003; neighbor who shared driveway was 16 and had a DSM.
-Get license October 2005, parents give me manual RSX because they couldn't drive me to school because lolAirForcePilots.
-Was at the drag strip that Friday.

>The rest, as they say, is history.
>>
>>16016351
Hanging around here is one of the worst ways to get into cars. This board actually turned me off of cars for a while because of how toxic it is.
>>
>>16016474
Are you gidding me :DDDDD
>>
>>16016337
>"The 86 is a piece of shit"
>drives a miata, which is basically a gay looking 86 with more ebay turbo kits
>>
Get a license and buy a cheapo car, you'll figure what you want next and wont waste too much money.
>>
>>16016503
At least I only paid 1000 bucks fur my miata instead of 10k like these idiots are paying fur an equivalent car lmao
>>
I can't remember of a single point in my entire life where I wasn't interested in cars.
>>
>>16016315
My dad got me into cars. This is what he replaced his ex with.
>>
>>16016491
No
>>
>>16016543
>poorfag
>>
>>16016577
>mariner blue
Best color.
>>
>>16016315
I played with Hot Wheels as a kid.
>police pursuits
>take them with me into the shower to give them a car wash
>race them by just pushing two at the same time and letting go
>drawing roads on paper and making them drive around
>>
>buy slow shitbox
>Make it a less slow less shittier box

If you ever decide it's finished as in "there all done, now let's just drive it" then you have failed, sell it and start over.
>>
>>16016600
Your parents didn't think to check for autism?

[spoiler]just kidding, sounds like you had an awesome childhood[/spoiler]
>>
>>16016315
/o/ and Top Gear
>>
Honestly, it's a terrible time to get into cars. Don't get emotionally attached to something that gradually goes away, especially if you're a eurocuck.
>>
>>16016543
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>16016315
Always loved cars since I remember plus Gran Turismo.
>>
>>16016339

how do i into football
>>
File: White_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.jpg (203KB, 1016x762px) Image search: [Google]
White_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.jpg
203KB, 1016x762px
I got into cars the second I bought this one.

I went from a ford tempo to a pontiac grand prix and I was never the same afterwards. It may not be all that cool or sporty of a car but it's what got me into them.
>>
>>16016337
I'm typing this to see if I'm still banned
>>
>>16016543
>fur
>>
I got a piece of shit for free and was too poor to take it to a mechanic every time it broke.
>>
>>16017259
>>16016639
best kind of enthuisast
>>16016852
>>16017480
Worst kind of enthuisast
>>
File: 1253020753632.jpg (7KB, 314x324px)
1253020753632.jpg
7KB, 314x324px
>>16016600
>tfw parents never bought you hot wheels tracks or car city carpet and you had to tape a bunch of printer paper to the floor and draw your own
>>
>>16017487
The post isn't indicative of my current attitude, but it's how I started caring about cars, which is the topic of the thread. Once I was responsible for keeping one functional, I developed a knowledge of how all the parts work and how to keep it running smoothly, which evolved into "how to improve upon the original design."
>>
>>16017487
I don't know if I would consider the guy who couldn't afford to fix his car a bad enthusiast. It's a legitimate way to get into cars.

The guy who thinks it's a terrible time to get into cars is way off base though. It's a perfect time to buy 90s cars. I don't know if it's nastolgia but some of those econoboxes were pretty sweet. I know that I'd love to have a plymouth laser.
>>
>>16017512
>>16017531
You're right, I misunderstood your/his post. Fixing your shitbox isn't a bad thing to do, I just thought meant that you only cared about cars because you needed to use it any you needed to fix it any you didn't actually enjoy it at all.
>>
File: 1362506829923.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1362506829923.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>you dont "get into" cars.
> put key in hole and turn it
> pull door
>"get into" car

???
>>
>>16017537
That wasn't me, I was the grand prix guy. Yeah I see your point though. Just fixing it to keep it going is one thing. But gaining a passion through working on cars is another.
>>
>>16016474
>This board actually turned me off of cars for a while because of how toxic it is.
i agree i fuckin hate this place.
>>
>bought poorly maintained shitbox
>fixed way too much stuff the owners neglected
>eventually the engine grenades itself on the highway
>upgraded to driving sportscars
>now have qt gf who is into cars

There ya go op that's how you get into cars
>>
Youtube
>>
>>16016315
Formula Drift on G4TV. After I started actually attending races and meet some of the drivers I became fully committed.
>>
My dad started it, and helped me along, but he's gone down hill now.
>>
>>16016315
Play Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
It won't teach you much about cars, but it's fun
>>
>>16016315
By driving my father car, that was an old Dodge Dart, and watching him fix it, he also bought manuals about the electronic parts
>>
assetto corsa
>>
>>16016572
This, a lot of afternoons of watching top gear with my dad, puting together wrc and groupe b models as a kid got me in to cars.
>>
It was fate, apparently.
My mom and dad met at a repair shop that they both worked at, and then they had me.
growing up, I had nothing to do with cars. Mom showed me how to shift once, but it was completely foreign to me.
I drove an auto Passat 1500gl, and then a Chevy Tracker, until the both of them blew up. still didn't give a shit about cars.
Then my wife bought her dream car, a 1973 Super Beetle, and I was like, "Fuck yeah! Beetle!" and that broke my manual cherry.
Then, things started breaking on it (We bought it as a project). now, I was still not into cars, but one day, while my dad in law was explaining how a carburetor worked, it suddenly clicked. I was hanging on his every word, and everything he was explaining made sense. I get how this works.
Eventually, I got my dream car, a 1987 CRX Si, and I've figured out, holy shit. I know how this works. I can take these tools, and manipulate the car in any way I fucking want.

That's how I got into cars, basically when I learned that as long as I understood the theory behind what a certain part does, I can fuck with it as much as I want and it will respond.
>>
>Be high school me
>Stepdad buys a $500 Buick Century
>"It's for you and your brother to learn on, but it's in my name"
>Brother and I learn to despise wrenching early on because Buick
>Simple shit like changing ball joints is 100x stupider than it should be because EVERYTHING is riveted in
>"You fucking lazy kids are shit at working on cars, why did I even bother doing this for you?"
>Hate cars for a while

>Turn 19
>Hate my life with asshole Stepdad
>Leave home without warning and fly out to live with my real dad
>Buy a janky Del Sol with the $$$ I'd been saving
>Discover Initial D
>Discover Gran Turismo 4
>Get curious about how cars work
>Get over my hatred of wrenching and start taking things apart on the Del Sol
>"holy shit, this is kinda easy"
>Start tackling more ambitious projects as things popped up
>Blow up engine in my next car (MX-5)
>Trailer car home
>Dad: "You're getting pretty good at fixing things, why not try putting in a new engine?"
>Spend all winter doing exactly that
>Learn more about cars doing the engine swap than anything else before
>Suddenly it all makes sense
>I love cars
>Start reading about and researching cars and whatnot in my free time

The rest is history.
>>
>>16016600
I wasted so much printer paper making roads for my hot wheels
>>
>>16020492
>Dad: "You're getting pretty good at fixing things, why not try putting in a new engine?"
Your dad sounds cool.
>Dad: "You're pretty good at fixing things, but cars are expensive and complicated and think of what could happen if you put that oil filter on wrong so take it to jiffy lube where there's no risk of a botched job."
Hopefully buying my own car soon though.
>>
>>16016315
Depends on what you mean by "into cars"

If you're after info on the actual mechanical functions of cars and their systems, I guess Youtubers like Eric The Car Guy and Engineering Explained. ETCG is a mechanic and you actually get to see cars get their entire interiors ripped out to have a fuse replaced for the ceiling light, EE is more actual mechanical engineering and, as his channel name implies, ye explains the engineering going into everything, how it works and why. If you're after yet more after that, maybe check some dedicated forums. As much as I love /o/ if you're here for actual useful information you may as well drive off a bridge desu.

Or you could buy a civic or corsa or whatever hatchback is popular where you live, start vaping, rice the thing to fuck and then make up stories about you beating faster cars.
>>
>>16022933
>make up stories about you beating faster cars.
They're not made up. The other guy just happened to be unaware he was in a race.
>>
File: 1464447210853.webm (2MB, 945x540px) Image search: [Google]
1464447210853.webm
2MB, 945x540px
>>16016315
Around 16 years ago, My brother handed me a CD that had "Need For Speed II" written on it.
>>
>>>/t/725510

Collection of cool stuff on here
>>
>>16022968
classic dagumi
>>
>>16016416
You could learn s bit about car control from forza motorsport with every assist off and simulation steering on.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.