[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people spending thousands of bucks on "Sport"cars,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

Why are people spending thousands of bucks on "Sport"cars, when they have to just pay 5-8k to experience the ultimate racing-experience aka Karting ? Another 5-10k spent on a used but reliable car and trailer . Bang- you don't need any more than that.
>>
>>16014798

Because adults buy adult things.
>>
>>16014798
Go karts are just too intense for most people, both in terms of speed and dedication. A lot of the competition have been karting since they are children, it's tough to get into and be competitive on your own and if old, but I have seen it done. Autocross is a much better option to get your feet wet in motor sports for most.
>>
>>16014811
This.

Not too eager to be lapped by snotty spoiled kids.
>>
>>16014811

Well, probably in serious motorsport you will find that most people are also racing since kids, so they are much better than the average joe.

But this also happens in any competitive sport.

Point stands: karts provide all the sensations of a race car at a fraction of the cost.
>>
>>16014798
Or you could buy an old shitbike and have it street legal too for about 2k
1k for ohlins
300 for slicks

I mean, if you're gonna race in leathers and helmet might as well do it right
>>
>>16014798
Because you can't just hop in a kart and go for a drive. Also they need ass loads of maintenance.
>>
>>16014798
>when they have to just pay 5-8k to experience the ultimate racing-experience
>aka Karting
I think you mean amateur rally
>>
>>16014798
easily 80 quid/h
>>16014903
140 quid/day

>but karting is soooooo cheap
>>
File: IMG_3125.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3125.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Paid £150 for this beast. if you don't care about police then the world is your race track
>>
>>16015019
How fast does it go?
>>
>>16015035
Not very.
>>
Because most people don't want to race. They just want an enjoyable drive. For those who enjoy going fast it's usually too much of a hassle to haul a kart to a track every time unless you live in a town with one.
I think most people turn to motorcycles if they want to go fast on the cheap. You can get a hella fast road rocket for like $3000 or even less. Even basic 600CC sport bikes are extremely fast compared to cars.
>>
>>16015127
But why would you endanger your life and innocents? Driving fast on public roads is just totally bonkers. To get todays sportscars and bikes to their limit, they need to be driven on track. Track ->buy a Kart.
>>
>>16014798
>not buying a car you enjoy driving daily and taking it to street car races
>>
>>16015176

I think that the average sportsbike that can be had for 2-3k$ shits over any kart for the same price, even triple that.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>16015019
What the fuck is that? An air cooled kart with a shifter? Is that a clutch pedal in the middle?
>>
>>16015194
You can get new Kart (motor and chassis included) with super endurable 33PS for around 5-6k. Than you can get up to 140-150 kph, 0-100 in 3-4 sec. and 0-100 in like nothing, while building up g-forces up to ~4g in corners. For ~9k you can get a handshifter with ~50-60 bhp, which means going 0-100 is nearly as fast as F1 .
>>
>>16015194
>>16015176
As I said most people don't bother with a track or even pushing the vehicle to its limits. You can go scary fast on a 1990s sport bike on the streets without being anywhere near the vehicle's limits and still have a great thriller. Your karts can't hit 160mph.
>but muh geeforce in corners
most people couldn't care less about that. Bikes are already capable of cornering better than their riders 99% of the time.
>>
>>16015299
It's not about being better, it's about go over the limits

slide into barrier with bumpers to protect vs die
>>
Why would you get one of those when you can have a nice bike for 5k and ride it on the street, not get laughed at?
>>
>>16014798
>gokat
>trailer for gokart
>vehicle to tow trailer
>property to store trailer (apartment/townhouse fags btfo)
>racing suit/gloves/shoes (unless full competitive, lapping days usually only require a helmet)
>tires

vs

>spend 5000$ on some shitbox
>drive it to the track
>pray it doesn't break
>drive it home
>save up to occassionally mod it when you can to make it quicker or more reliable.

works out cheaper in a lot of cases and more managable financially because you don't have to drop a wad of cash all the time
>>
>>16014798
Because I'm not a 100lb manlet and karting isn't cheap. Autocross, Time Attack, club-level and short oval racing is way more cost effective for an amateur.
>>
>>16015372
Plus you can also drive your slightly moded shitbox on roads and have some non legal fun with it, plus cruise on it
while on a kart unless you go to the track you can barely enjoy it outside
>>
>need

ITS NOT THE BILL OF NEEDS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
My SKUSA S1 engine back when S1 wasn't spec was $8,000
Our national karting program was like $40k a year and we were considered budget tier.

Also if you're over 6' forget it. Major disadvantage.

Club racing can be cheap, though. Certainly cheaper than car racing.
But it won't kill your drive to be in a car. It's not an adequate replacement for the speed and weight of a car.

If you want to learn race craft, though, or how to really push the limit - there's no better place than in a kart.

club racing for cars sucks dick. no competition, no race craft.
>>
>>16014842
Not so. Most club racers in cars have never karted.
A 15 year old national level karter would mop the floor at a POC club race.

Which is why I said above the competition and race craft in car club racing is no where near the level of karting.
>>
>>16016615
>40k a year for motherfucking go karts.

How?
>>
>>16016633
The same way you spend $25 million a year on stock car racing, you can always find a way to spend more money if there's motivation.

Karting is considered a stepping stone to major league racing so people will spend insane money to try to make it to the next level.
>>
Because my sports car cost just under $3000 including tags, taxes, and registration fees. I can drive it anywhere, any time I want. I've even taken it to plenty of track days and autocrosses.

It can powerslide, drift, go 130mph, and take me wherever.

I've had it for 7 years, it has 222k miles on it, and has only needed belts, a water pump, and clutch slave cyl..
>>
>>16016633
Dude, people spend 100k a year doing national and pan-america stuff.

For a major regional or national level event you're buying like 10 gallons of C16, 3+ sets of tires, you're rebuilding the engine every day, sometimes every run at nationals, travel costs, hotel costs.

It's legit racing. It's more competitive than Star Mazda or F2000 or any of that weak shit (mostly rich ppl). Especially in the 90's and early 2000's when red bull was doing driver search and BMW and Mazda had driver programs. It kind of slowed down from the recession, but it's picking back up again.

Club racing can be cheap.. but you will still end up spending all you can to win once you get hooked. Motorsports is the cruelest addiction.

Karts are fun as hell and a lot to learn about driving, race craft, set up, etc.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.