[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This thread might sound dumb but I mean this in the most honest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13

This thread might sound dumb but I mean this in the most honest way possible.

Will modern cars look dated within the next 10 years?

I know technology is always advancing and shit. But I mean can it get any better than how it is today without completely changing the design of cars?

In 10 years, will Porsches look like the shitty 2004 Porsches we think of today? Will Mercedes look like the shitty 2006 Mercedes we think of today? Pretty much almost all luxury car brands look like complete shit 10 years ago, but I honestly think in 10 years the 2016 cars will still look so good. Am I wrong, I'm sure they thought that in 2006 too?
>>
2016 porsches wont look like how these porsches look now in 10 years.... r-r-r-right?
>>
>>16012496
good question man! was wondering the same thing!

>(You)
thanks bro
>>
>>16012496
No one liked how the 996 looked when it came out either.
>>
yeah i'm wondering the same thing too. i remember the charger coming out in 2006 and i thought it looked nice, now it looks like a pile of shit. i'm wondering if the LED DRLs and hard lines will look tacky in 10 years.
>>
>>16012853
I think the current LED DRLs already look cheap shitty and tacky. Even on high-end models... if you can see discrete points of light, it looks like a cheap Chinese eBay LED job.

Why the fuck is Lexus/Audi/etc. doing this? Just use a single LED and have the light bounce around inside a plastic tube instead of 5 parallel LEDs lined up looking like an 8-bit wannabe headlight.
>>
>>16012496
I agree that pic related gen is not the most liked.. those damn headlights, but the car is still damn sexy imo.
>>
Maybe the cars are going to go plain again and everyone will look at us and think we were really fucked up
>>
As long as new cars keep coming out, old ones will continue to look older.
Everything keeps getting sleeker looking
>>
File: 37583807.jpg (104KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
37583807.jpg
104KB, 1024x768px
Still looks better than the current Civic after 10+ years.
>>
>>16012295
Yes. The ironic thing is in 20 years you'll still think of 2010 as pretty new

t. old fart
>>
>>16013542
That wheel gap is ugly.
>>
>>16012295

I've thought a bit about this too. I think the difference in the last decade has been so significant because of the increased availability of new advancements in the design of cars. IMO the change in the look of cars is going to slow down since it's more financially practical to make cars look as good as they do. So current cars are still going to look okay in a decade as opposed to 2006s.
>>
>>16013860

Also, consider Ferrari for the past 25 years. Their cars aesthetics for the most part will remain exotic and cool.
>>
>>16012295
if it doesn't look timeless then yes it will look dated

I personally already don't like the way the vast majority of new cars look today.
>>
File: 1996_Porsche_911_993_GT2.jpg (323KB, 1600x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1996_Porsche_911_993_GT2.jpg
323KB, 1600x1050px
>>16012496
pretty bad example

993 still looks fine
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 564x404px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 564x404px
>>16012496

What the fuck are you on about. All 911s look the same
>>
File: DSC02537_redimensionner.jpg (751KB, 1958x1101px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02537_redimensionner.jpg
751KB, 1958x1101px
>>16014181
The 993's stock rims look dated, and the face is too smooth and feminine. But with the right rims and right color (not grey), they look okay.

Most air cooled 911s are of the narrow rear end, and photos selectively choose the rarer trim levels that look more muscular.
>>
>>16012295
Yea, chances are lights will change a lot and might not be visible on the car when they're off, if that makes sense. Regulations also force design to change so they'll get more boring and weird.
>>
>>16012295
>This thread might sound dumb
It does, a lot.

The internal combustion engines are on the way out, in 10 years more than half the new cars sold will be electric or have another non-traditional drivetrain. In the next 15 years automobile industry will undergo the biggest change since Ford introducing the Tin Lizzie.

Porsche is gonna be the only munfacturer keeping their design.
>>
Tldr

Some cars age well
some dont
>>
>>16016039
>He thinks 50% of new cars will be electric in 10 years

That's quite a claim all things considered, most brands already have plans for 2018/2019 fyi, and it sure as hell has nothing to do with electric
>>
>>16016939
>fyi
I'm an automotive engineer working for a major German brand. I'm talking about 2026, not 2018.
>>
>>16016039
Are you fucking retarded?

>Porsche is gonna be the only munfacturer keeping their design.
why?

>in 10 years more than half the new cars sold will be electric
No, they won't actually. lmao
>>
>>16017153
>Are you fucking retarded?
Could you elaborate on that or are you just rambling? Do you have any arguments to back up your claims?
>>
>>16017186
>falls for the "electric cars" meme
>thinks porsches will be the only manufacturer keeping their design
>not retarded
ok buddy...
>>
>>16017199
>>falls for the "electric cars" meme
Manufacturers and governments do, not me. Also not how I said "other non-tradtitional drivetrains", not exclusively electric.
>>thinks porsches will be the only manufacturer keeping their design
Name another major brand that changed their car design as little as Porsche did with the 911 over the last 50 (fifty) years.
>>
yet another engineer that was bullied in school >>16017217
>>
>>16017239
So, after realizing you don't have an actual argument, you proceed to attack me personally without knowing anything about me? I view this argument as won. Have a nice day.
>>
>>16012295
Some will and some won't.

I think the 4C, in all of its quirkiness, is a guaranteed insta-classic.
>>
>>16017252
I didn't write that you mong.

>Manufacturers and governments do
Tesla? Rimac? New production cars still are coming out, and will come out with, gas. Electric cars will not fully come to fruition until a long, long time.

>Name another major brand that changed their car design as little as Porsche did with the 911 over the last 50 (fifty) years.
>that is subjective
>Porsche changes their design a lot
>even if they didn't, that doesn't mean they won't for next 10 years
>bmw
>>
File: 2011-BMW-5-Series-73[1].jpg (393KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
2011-BMW-5-Series-73[1].jpg
393KB, 1600x1067px
>>16017374
>Tesla? Rimac? New production cars still are coming out, and will come out with, gas. Electric cars will not fully come to fruition until a long, long time.
As I said, 10 to 15 years, and more technologies than purely electric cars. Stop acting like I said electric cars are the future and will replace ICEs next year.
>>that is subjective
No it's not.
>>Porsche changes their design a lot
Refer to >>16015057
>>even if they didn't, that doesn't mean they won't for next 10 years
Nobody can predict the future, but looking at the past, it's pretty damn likely Porsche will stick to their basic design, unlike everyone else. Just think about the 996, they tried something new and everyone hates it.
>>bmw
You can't be serious
>>
>>16017428
>no its not
Please factually prove to me that Porsche's changes look less different than BMW's changes to me.
>>
>>16017439
So you can lie on the internet and disagree and pretend like they look completely different? Haha, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>16017450
wow, great response, you've convinced me porsche objectively has changed less. tank u
>>
>>16017550
Me not convincing you doesn't make me wrong, let alone "retarded". I hope you realize that.
>>
>>16017559
you obviously aren't retarded lol, that is a figure of speech.

but either way if you think looks are objective then you might be... ;)
>>
I used to think to myself in the early 2000's "how the hell are they going to make cars look better than this generation in a decade".

Well, they did.
Funny thing, /o/ probably hates them now but they'll love them in a decade.
>>
>>16017912
>Funny thing, /o/ probably hates them now but they'll love them in a decade.
What did he mean by this?
>>
People should include their age in their post.

I have a theory that most people think the cars of their teenage years look the best. It makes sense. You develop a sort of fetish for the cars you lusted after when you were in your Early teens just before you could drive.

I was born in 1982 and I like mid 90's cars. I still think the RX-7 is one of the best looking cars of all time.

Other favorites of mine are the Supra, MR2, Ferrari F355, McLaren F1. All classic 90'scars.

It's the same reason you see classic 60's muscle cars selling for over 100K to fat 60 year old guys. They are buying the car they wanted when they were a teen. They can just finally afford it.
>>
File: m1fyh5pbt5ve.jpg (98KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
m1fyh5pbt5ve.jpg
98KB, 800x533px
Peugeot 206 does not look dated to me tbqh.
>>
>>16018000
doesn't hold water breh, 96 born and that rx7 looks great
>>
>>16018000
i was born in 97 and i think the f1, porsche 964 911 and the original mr2 are some of the best looking too.
>>
>>16018000
shit theory.
>>
File: image.jpg (691KB, 2884x991px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
691KB, 2884x991px
Lp640 officially came out 10 years ago. Timeless
>>
Cars will start looking dated once the angry face meme dies and designers move on to the next trend
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.