[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone with severe autism for manual gearboxes ever loved and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: GM trash.jpg (294KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GM trash.jpg
294KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone with severe autism for manual gearboxes ever loved and owned an automatic? What was it like?

To me changing gears is driving the car, I've driven only one automatic and it was pretty boring (though saying that it was a boring commuterbox anyway). The thing is I have a massive boner for a car that is only available with an automatic, but I'm scared I'd get bored of it in a week because no manuel.

Anyone got any input on this? A test drive isn't terribly helpful as your feelings after half an hour won't match up with your feelings after 2 months of ownership.
>>
I've never heard anyone complain about DDing an automatic because they're bored. Quite the opposite, manual owners complain about having to shift too much when driving in city traffic and wish they had an auto for going to and from their wageslave dungeon.

Manual for your enthusiast car so you can enjoy the shifting and control on mountain roads or tracks away from normalfags, auto for your commute.
>>
>>16006254
Honesty, i've never complained about changing up/down too much in city traffic.

The whole argument about which is better is literally shitposting. Both are good, buy the type you prefer. /fin
>>
>>16006254
>manual owners complain
You mean pussies complain. Or people that can't drive manual complain.
I've been DDing manuals in Los Angeles the past 6 years. It's easy.
>>
I own a manuel truck and an automatic car. When I get into the car after driving the truck, I think about how relaxing it is to just push the pedal and go, and not have to worry about stalling the engine backing into a parking spot up an incline (lol parking ramps).

Then I get back into the truck, and, between bouts of gratuitous rev-matching, all I can think about is how dull driving that fucking car was.

If you have to live with ONLY an automatic, you're going to miss the manual, because manuals are fun. Even in gridlock, someone who was even halfway decent at shifting isn't going to go, "Gee, I'm so glad I got rid of my FUN car so I can properly experience this gridlock!"

But, if you have both, regret won't taint your enjoyment of the automatic.
>>
>>16006254
>>16006273
I never drive in city traffic ever as I don't use my car for commuting. I use my car as a toy, for hooning and shit.
>>
Changing gears and using the clutch becomes muscle memory once you do it a couple of hundred times.
Like turning the wheel or pressing the gas pedal.

Anyone complaining about shifting is either 16 or can't drive properly.

Also, automatic is fine I guess.
But manual always gets better mileage, saves wear on the brake pads and is safer in an emergency.
>>
>>16006254

I actually kind of like driving stick in city traffic.

Creeping along at 10-15 MPH in an auto, I'd probably be in 3rd or 4th gear right around idle, with the torque converter letting it take a higher gear for the low speed. 3 people in a row turn off and traffic opens up, I gun it, trans takes a few seconds to shift, lose the light, have to wait for it to cycle.

Same thing in a stick, I'm in 2nd gear around 1500 RPM, same thing happens, flat foot it through the light before it changes without having to drop any gears, make the like just fine and dandy.

Also, stop and go traffic is more interesting in a stick, for me anyway. The challenge is always to never stop moving completely so I don't have to use the clutch, or have to use the brake. Made it through a half mile of traffic in a span of about 10 minutes without having to shift one time, it was pretty great.
>>
>>16006335
Try driving a diesel VAG-trash car that has no power below 2000rpm, redlines at 4400rpm and first gear goes to 20mph, then tell me driving in traffic is a good time.
>>
I DD a manual in mixed traffic six days a week. The wife owns the auto, and I drive it from time to time solely to see how it's doing, and just to mix it up a bit. To be honest, I can't fucking stand it.

Learned to drive on an old Chevrolet with a manual, never owned an automatic. Maybe when I finally get just get fucking tired of shifting, I'll drop the third pedal.
>>
>>16006347
Well, yes. But the transmission isn't the reason that car is garbage.
>>
>>16006335
> The challenge is always to never stop moving completely so I don't have to use the clutch, or have to use the brake. Made it through a half mile of traffic in a span of about 10 minutes without having to shift one time,

I've been driving a taxi for 7 years.
This is what I do and it makes a lot of people mad.

Somehow these nigger brained babbys would rather stop and go twelve dozen times instead of coasting casually in 1st or 2nd and keeping a cars length of space from the one in front of them.
>>
>>16006335
>takes a few seconds to shift

try not driving unmaintained shitboxes with a million miles
>>
>>16006391

Also do this. People get butthurt. They can suck my dong. I don't understand either why moving at a constant rate of speed, no matter how slow, is somehow a fucking terrible thing as opposed to stopping and going again every three seconds.
>>
>>16006234

i get really sleepy whenever i drive an automatic, even if it's a sporty car
>>
>>16006347
I've done it in a 1.2l diesel Fiat, and a 1.5l diesel Renault. You have no excuses.

Diesel is better than Petrol for traffic anyway.
More torque at lower rpm so you can drive much slower without stalling.
>>
>>16006234
I love manuals but I also enjoy my auto 1989 s10 truck. Because its a pos old truck. Performance cars should be manual unless its luxurious too like a e63 amg
>>
>>16006401

Well, not literally several seconds to find the right gear, but maybe a second or two before it actually finds a gear that will make the car move relatively quickly. Everything I've driven so far has done this, from new CVT vans to 3 year old 3/4 ton trucks to 1 ton box trucks to medium duty bucket trucks, they all take a second or two to get going at full tilt. Never tried a sporty automatic though, so those might be better. Still takes more time than just flat footing a stick no matter what though.

>>16006391
>>16006411

https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE?t=1m10s

It actually helps traffic flow better too. So really, you're helping your fellow man by pissing them off to no end.
>>
>>16006331
>safer in an emergency
how?
>>
>>16006713
I assume it's because you can downshift and instantly accelerate whereas in an automatic you smash the gas pedal and the car takes a second to think about downshifting.
>>
>>16007084

You better be a damn good driver if you expect to downshift smoothly in an emergency.

Honestly, it's a tradeoff - you can practice "proper" driving in terms of downshifting when you slow down and/or heel-and-toe braking, but you are putting extra wear on your clutch.

>>16006234

I get bored as fuck with an automatic.
>>
>>16006331
Manual hasn't gotten better mileage in years
>>
>>16006234
I drive my grandmas 1997 accord auto whenever I go home for the summer and I love it, handles fantastically and even though I cant choose when to shift it's still loads of fun. Every other auto I've driven has been pretty boring.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.