[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone owned an LS400? This CL one is tempting as fuck I�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 00I0I_7fh86YXFpuk_1200x900.jpg (103KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
00I0I_7fh86YXFpuk_1200x900.jpg
103KB, 1024x768px
Anyone owned an LS400? This CL one is tempting as fuck

I'm trying to DD a Miata atm with at least 30 minutes of pure highway each way, daily, and I think this would be a big upgrade

Am I wrong?

Would the LS feel like absolute shit in the twisties compared to the Miata?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5771548624.html
>>
>>16005961
> Would the LS feel like absolute shit in the twisties compared to the Miata?

yes
>>
>>16005961

The only answer to your "good daily fun in the twisties" question is a WRX.
>>
>>16005966
But these mods are making me doubt that
Of course it will never be as good as a Miata, but my question is how big will the gap be.

>Wilwood Proportioning Valve
>Megan EZ Street Coilovers
>17x9 +15/ 17x10.5 +27 Dished SVT Cobra reps
>215/45-17F 245/40-17R Federal 595's
>Polyurethane Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
>New Remand. Steering Rack w/ Lifetime Warranty
>Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushings
>car weighs 3400lbs

>>16005982
>Turbo Corolla
>Turbo Corolla for 4500 for that matter
shig
>>
Owning a Miata AND an LS400 would cover most of the /o/ experience nicely but there's no substituting one for the other.
>>
I don't have the money, time, or space for both

I feel kinda unsafe in the Miata, I took it up to 100 mph today and it was at like 5,000 rpm and shaking like fuck

I just want an aesthetic V8 jap barge that I can drift on the weekends and have fun in the twisties with

Is this too unreasonable?
>>
File: this kills the LS400.jpg (66KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
this kills the LS400.jpg
66KB, 675x900px
>>16005992
>there's no substituting one for the other
Of course there is—did you click through Opie's Craigslist link? This is an LS400 that's been fucked so hard it now sexually identifies as a Miata.

Also
>welded diff
>>
>>16006023
This is a pro for me tbqhfamalam
>>
>>16006038
That's excellent for the seller. He's not going to find many other people eager to spend $4500 on a gutted, 20-year-old car that won't pass emissions (Connecticut apparently tests everything from 1992 on up).
>>
>>16006064
I don't live in CT, NJ. I get passed at a somewhat crooked shop every time, even once without my cat. Even then, apparently it's exempt
>"Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less."

I wouldn't buy it for more than 3,500 either
>>
>>16006023
Oh yeah it's THIS ls400. I've seen it posted before and I certainly hope it ends up in the hands of an /o/tist. Not for $4500 though. Half that and you've got something. IIRC it comes with an unwelded diff and another transmission that needs to be swapped in. OP or whomever could do both at once.
>>
-exhaust silencer, I forgot to bolt it in, and I lost it somewhere on the highway. New one is $8 on eBay.

>typical CL bullcrap claim.

-H-vac still works fine.

>no it doesn't, AC delete

-You can drift it

-The motor will never break, ever, ever. Ever.

>timing belt, interference engine

-It costs next to nothing to insure because the only people that drive it are AARP members.

>uninsurable in current state. If you say that its stock, expect them to deny future claims.

layer sound deadening, you're looking at ~2800 or less.

Engine Mods:

-EGR Delete

> smog instafail

-10* Colder Thermostat

>sludge

-New shitty street rear brake pads

-Welded Diff
The mainshaft bearing in the trans on the car is howling. Swapping them out will take a competent mechanic no more than 3 hours.

>typical CL bullshit claim.

-The rear diff is welded, and thus vibrates a bit between 55-70.

-Secondary o2 on passenger side broke off, so yolo.

-replaced the cluster with a unit from another car. ODO was at 99,915 when I got it
>>
File: fucked ls400 bumper sticker.jpg (117KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fucked ls400 bumper sticker.jpg
117KB, 1024x768px
>>16006092
The bumper sticker is a nice touch, though. I had a sensible chuckle seeing it directly above that massive fart cannon.
>>
>>16006120
Your point? Bullshit aside just the effort of the manual swap makes this worth it for me

Along with the functional speedo, almost none have that.
>>
File: i are thinking reaction.gif (1MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
i are thinking reaction.gif
1MB, 400x240px
>>16006136
Let's take a look at what you wrote, Opie:
>I'm trying to DD a Miata atm with at least 30 minutes of pure highway each way, daily, and I think this would be a big upgrade

Let's take a look at what the seller wrote, and what >>16006120-kun quoted:
>The rear diff is welded, and thus vibrates a bit between 55-70

Now let's think about what his "point" might be, in terms of the question you asked:
>I think this would be a big upgrade
>Am I wrong?
>>
for $4,500 you can get a very clean one with AC and that doesn't need a bunch of work
>>
>>16006163
I can buy a diff for 100 bucks
>>16006166
Not manual though
Also where does it say it doesn't have AC?
>H-vac still works fine
>>
>>16006007

Going 80 in my LS400 goes like going 40, I went up to 120 once and it felt like I was going 80-90 in a smaller/cheaper car
>>
>>16006195
Interesting, that's exactly what I'm looking for

Any mods done to it? Thoughts on the one I'm considering?
>>
>>16006183
A welded diff and howling mainshaft bearing (and who knows what else) means the entire drivetrain is likely fucked. Whatever's wrong with it is bad enough that the guy isn't drifting his drift missile; he's been trying, unsuccessfully, to dump it.

Also, this speaks against it having AC:
>-A/C Delete
>>
>>16006213
Just get a stock one and leave it stock. You won't give a shit. They are super comfy. They handle huge and heavy, but you can cane it fine and push it around like an old Benz. You won't miss the Miata when driving the lexus. You'll appreciate both.

This manual swap contraption is local to me. It looks like something to be avoided.

t. LS430 owner.
>>
>tfw want an LS so bad
>tfw live in urban city, don't have garage
>no parking

fuck, and its a land barge
>>
>>16005961
I daily drive a 1998 LS400.

It handles pretty well btw.

Overall I'd say the LS400 is the best damn car you could possibly buy for the money, legit hasn't had any problems, has just needed oil changes and the timing belt service.
>>
>>16007874
Some anon said the other day that it had a glass transmission and some other problems. You seem to think otherwise?
>>
>>16005961
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7089240-FS-5-speed-92-Lexus-LS400-drift-car

Was sold in 2014 apparently
>>
kek i posted about this car a while ago here >>15970633

thought about getting it as a daily but

>welded diff

no thanks jeff
>>
>>16005961
>not even an R154
Into the trash it goes.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 800x533px
>>16007914

I think you or he is mistaken.

Honda automatics for their v6's (except the 05-12 RL and 11+ TL S ) have glass transmissions.

Toyota transmissions are generally amongst the toughest out there.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.