[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

today i gave my friend a ride and he told me I was revving to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: aq.png (10KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
aq.png
10KB, 362x358px
today i gave my friend a ride and he told me I was revving to high when going out of first gear

I usually rev to 2000-2500 when starting from a stop, I can do it even without touching the accelerator but i find i can start of faster by revving it a bit higher.
I dont launch it or dump the clutch or anything, i let go slowly of the clutch but my friend said im going to eat up my clutch and overheat and warp my flywheel if i keep doing this

Anyway, is this true? what the max rev i should do when coming out of a complete stop on flat road?
>>
>>16004144
You're fine your friend is autistic
>>
>>16004144
>I usually rev to 2000-2500 when starting from a stop
Should be half that; your friend is right.
>>16004156
Is trolling or doesn't know how to drive stick
>>
>>16004162
If you look at your tach when driving manual u fuckin suck
>>
>>16004144

Your friend a faggot. Redline everytime for max torques.
>>
>>16004173
>Thinks 2,000-2,500 is fine
>Calling anyone bad
The point of not looking at is it you're doing it correctly consistently and THEN you stop looking at it. If you never did it right in the first place you should be staring at it, my god you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>16004144
5 grand and dump the clutch. Fuck yeh straight up 180 and 360's aussie pride way to do burnouts on a small narrow street and a perfect location fuck the neighbors its australia we have the right to do this shit its a free country and a perfect time and nice control love it aussie style good on ya mate
>>
are we talking j-port rotary, or cummins diesel here? it makes a difference
>>
>>16004162
>>16004184
By the way OP, if you're stalling or bucking with half those revs, let the clutch out slower. You don't drop the clutch once the car starts moving but keep letting it out slowly, this is the main issue I see with people learning and guides never mention it.
>>
>>16004184
Captain dingus staring at the tach makes you overthink, it's better just to go with feels
>>
>>16004144
oi i do it at 3k
>>
>>16004193
I dont buckle or anything, just that I find my cars starts too slowly for my liking ( my car has a tiny 4 cyl engine with a huge HO turbo, and the car is pretty heavy so the turbo lag is fucking huge )
>>
>>16004210
The cars weight does not effect the turbo lag lmao
>>
>>16004206
Is this how people justify being retarded to themselves? They seriously believe that a lack of knowledge and just guessing is better than educating oneself and doing things properly? No wonder this board's gone to shit
>>16004210
I can't really speak on behalf of turbos but the same applies, 1000-1250 is optimal. Launching at 2-3k every once in a while won't kill you but if you're doing it at every stop you're going to melt your clutch. The guy I'm arguing with is either an autocuck, trolling or legitimately retarded, I'm not sure which.
>>
>>16004217
but moving a heavy car with a tiny 4 cyl engine with no boost makes it more noticeable vs when the engine gets boost and doubles its HP
>>
Different guy from OP, but I've been driving stick for a week now. Just found that letting the car get past that initial "bump/lurch", and then letting the clutch out fully is the way to go.

Once that happens and the clutch isn't involved anymore, I rev to 2500-3000. That shouldn't harm the car, right? Keeping it in the powerband makes the shift to 2nd even smoother
>>
>>16004250
After the clutch is out you can take it all the way to the redline if you want to. But a lot of manufacturers give you the speeds the recommended you shift at, and the lower you shift the better fuel economy you get (and slower acceleration)
>>
I have the opposite problem. I let go of the clutch at 1k rpm revs and I'm always at the verge of stalling.
>>
>>16004339
Ez gas mileage bro
>>
File: DatMPG.jpg (596KB, 1774x850px) Image search: [Google]
DatMPG.jpg
596KB, 1774x850px
It always depends on the situation but I normally shift 3.2 - 3.6k unless I'm concerned about saving gas or driving hard. Shifting below 2,250 or so is usually not smart imo.
>>
>>16005065
First gear fag
>>
>>16005079
Well, I guess I usually run 1st to 2.5 - 2.9k.
>>
File: Fox Ram.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Fox Ram.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>16004190
This. Different vehicles are very different. Do you think I shift both of these at the same RPM? Do you think 2000 rpm in the fox feels, sounds or even equates to the same speed as 2000 rpm in the ram?
>>
Depends on the car really.

In one car that weighs 2600 lbs, with a 2.2L NA motor, I usually take off between idle and 1000 RPM.

In a different car that weighs 3200 lbs with a 1.6L NA motor, I rev to damn near 2k RPM before slipping the clutch just to get moving because the thing is so gods damned gutless.

In a different car that weighs 2700 lbs with a 1.6L turbo motor, I normally take off between 1000-1500 RPM.

Haven't had to replace a clutch yet driving like this. Put 60k miles on one car, learned how to drive stick in that car, has like 150k miles now, probably still the original clutch, still works fine. Second car had 110k miles on the original clutch, still worked fine when I got rid of it. Current car has like 3k miles on it, too early to tell if I'm fucking it up or not.
>>
File: 1445322044809.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1445322044809.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
That sounds way too high to me OP.

I just give it enough gas to keep at about idle plus 100ish rpm until I've got the clutch mostly engaged, then roll the gas on slowly while releasing the clutch the rest of the way. Just works smooth for me and doesn't seem to put too much strain on the clutch.

Am I retarded or is this acceptable?
>>
File: f113430672.jpg (610KB, 2678x1740px) Image search: [Google]
f113430672.jpg
610KB, 2678x1740px
>Suddenly realize that OP meant what he revs to before releasing the clutch from a stop in 1st.

I don't go over 1k until the clutch grabs while driving normally around town. I've done my fair share of 5.5k clutch drops though.
>>
Are people fucking serious ITT?

Yes for a shitty 4cyl 2k rpm launches are okay. If you were driving a high power V8 the optimal lainches are 1k rpm even lower on more highpower ones.
>>
File: 7ae.png (19KB, 674x432px) Image search: [Google]
7ae.png
19KB, 674x432px
>>16005206
>shifting to second at 2.5-2.9k at normal take off
what in the actual fuck.
>>
9000rpm redline here, with a torqueless wonder. engine will bog down at 2000rpm.
2500rpm is minimum, i usually shift around 3. there is nothing wrong with this.

may dads automatic c300 shifts around 2.5k, and that's with a much torquier engine so why would they program the tranny to shift at points that wouldn't be optimal?
>>
>>16004144
As long as you're using the handbrake on every start you're fine.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.