[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /o/? I'm liking for some guidance on a new car. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 20160815_174437.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160815_174437.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Sup, /o/? I'm liking for some guidance on a new car.

I've got a Wrangler that I think I can get $10k for. I've had it for ten years, ready for a new car. It's been fun, but I've grown out of the Jeep lifestyle. My upper price range is $40k, but I'd like to only spend somewhere between $25 and $30.

I'm looking for the following features in a car, listed in order of importance:
1. Dependability. Outside of u joints, the Wrangler has knocked it out of the park with mechanical reliability, and I've thrashed on it daily. Over 113k on it, and it's been only regular wear items and this same u joint over and over again. I am a competent mechanic, I just don't like wrenching on shit at home after doing it all day at work.
2. Fuel economy. The Wrangler doesn't fit the bill, so it's out. I'm looking for 30+ combined mpgs. My job is an hour away, and getting 15 on the highway going only 65 is dumb.
3. Safety. Wrangler is a death trap, I'm about to turn thirty. Looking at life a little differently.
4. Modest off-road ability. It doesn't need to keep pace with a Wrangler, and I already know most stock vehicles can't. Mostly looking for a good AWD system for Michigan winters and mild two tracking for up north camping trips. Not Bundy Hill or King of Hammers. Inb4 winter tires are all you need hurr durr

So, I've basically narrowed it down to either a Subaru Outback or a Forester. I own a Crosstrek for the ol lady and I love it, but it's too small for extended camping trips with all the gear and both dogs. Alternatively, I might compromise fuel economy for something like a Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner. I wanted to buy a Murican brand, but they're all clunky junk as far as I can tell.

Fun to drive and gadgetry are negligible concerns, but I have driven a Forester with Eyesight and I loved it.

Tl;dr: me need dependable econo shitbox, you guys judge me and maybe make constructive suggestions.
>>
Forester is literally the only car that will give you what you want so this thread was done before it started.
>>
>>15987331
4runners will do everything you want but they are thirsty fuckers, you will be lucky to get 20mpg combined with the newer v8 models.
>>
>>15987375
Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, but I was thinking maybe somebody would have a comparable set of wheels that might be a better deal.
>>
>>15987331
How long distance wise is the commute?
>>
>>15987331
ive driven forester, land cruiser v8 and outback.
my forester has 250,000km and going stronk, dependable.
fuel economy on the forester or outback will be the best out of these. ive driven it on mountains in australia during winter, not as rough as american winters only barely got to -2'C but there was snow and ice on the roads and it was capable. not sure about any offroading but ive driven it on sand/beaches no problems.
spacious for camping even if you want to sleep in it.
>>
>>15987331
Oddball suggestion: Delica
>>
I looking at similar classes of vehicle myself. I was leaning outback more than forester. Same interior space, but it's long in the outback, better for sleeping inside.
>>
I can't offer you anything with that mpg requirement and awd or 4x4 capability. I dont even a subaru impreza get that kind of gas mileage.
>>
>>15987331
if you want a small truck check out the new Chevy Colorado
>>
I own a 2016 Tacoma and I've loved every minute of it. Fits pretty much all your wants except fuel economy. I've got the v6 and I get about 24-26 emmpeegees.

Alternatively a 4runner is also a very good vehicle, kind of like a jeep for grown ups.
>>
>>15987403
>>15990050
What these guys said.

You'll never get a fully capable AWD/4WD system and decent gas mileage. If Oregon winters are like Michigan winters, you may be missing some work or end up in a ditch. It's hard to beat a conventional 4wd system. I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I am not impressed with Subaru's AWD system. It That being said, I will admit it is a decent balance between 2wd and 4wd, and they make great vehicles. But the lack of snowplows and random dumps of 12"+ of snow overnight pretty much require something with more umph.

If you don't mind buying used in that category, also consider the Ford Escape. Mine got about 31 MPG with the V6 and had AWD. Also consider just owning two shitboxs like sane people do; one for commuting and one for weekend adventure.

>Source: Owned a 97 Legacy, 01 Outback, 06 Escape, and a fuckload of other SUVs and Trucks.
>>
>>15989484
That is literally the only reason I'm considering the Outback over the Forester. My buddy lent me his Forester for a twelve hour trip, and on the way back my girlfriend and I took turns napping in the back, but it was just a little too cramped for me, being that I'm 6'2".
>>
>>15989218
42 miles each way. Ten of that is city, the rest highway at 72mph.
>>
>>15990070
Confirmed, just bought an 05 4runner 2 weeks ago. Alittle bit thirsty in the fuel department anywhere from 17 to 23mpg ... but far less maintnance concern than my 2x Diesel Jeeps.

Also .. that ride... waaaay smoother than my CRD Libertys.
>>
>>15987331
>I've grown out of the Jeep lifestyle
What is the Jeep lifestyle?
>>
>>15992172
It's definitely not a 42 miles commute each way, OP is fag.
>>
>>15992172
Well, when I lived ten minutes from work and lived in an apartment and had the free time to go wheeling every weekend and had no dogs, it was an easy machine to justify ownership of. I could go on evening cruises through the countryside with the top down and the doors off without thinking about fuel because all I had was a cheapo apartment and no other bills to think about.

Now, house, doges, farther from work, doing side work in my garage, fixing up yard and house. I'm almost thirty now, and life is just different from when I bought it. I never was concerned about fuel, safety, or practicality. Now I am.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.