[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll be visiting US and I'll rent a Mustang. I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: NDWindingBackroad[1].jpg (206KB, 697x424px) Image search: [Google]
NDWindingBackroad[1].jpg
206KB, 697x424px
I'll be visiting US and I'll rent a Mustang. I'd like to do some funny stuff with it but don't know what kinda place I could go.
For example: in my country, federal roads are usually less monitored by police, so I can speed up a little bit.
Back country roads usually have speed traps, not cops, that are easy to avoid but State roads are filled with cops and random speed traps.

In US there's a fuck ton of cops on the roads, do you guys have any tips?

I'll be visiting south and west (from Alabama to Maryland) and I don't do anything stupid like racing in roads or risking ppls life, just want to enjoy a little bit of a sport-ish car.

thx
>>
>>15986872
Country back roads are usually pretty safe, less traffic usually means less cops
Don't speed through Virginia, Cops there are super strict about speeding
>>
>>15986885
great tip, thx
>>
It all depends on the state, OP
>>
>>15986896
I'll will have time for it in Alabama and Georgia
>>
>>15986885
Virginia is zero fun about speeding. 80MPH+ (plain) or more than 20MPH above the speed limit is considered reckless driving. The max sentence for reckless driving is $2,500 and up to a *year* in jail. Radar detectors are also illegal there, and cops will often have radar detector detectors that can detect *most* models (using a radar detector is a fine, the cop will record the serial number of the radar detector and give it back to you, meaning a lot of people risk running a detector vs. speeding risk).

>Country back roads are usually pretty safe
You have to be careful though... roads like the Taconic State Parkway in New York are twisty and curvy and a lot of fun, but it is fucking *crawling* with cops. I always drive with a radar detector + Waze. Waze is an additional layer of protection but its dependent on other drivers ahead of you flagging the cops. When there's enough people on the road it's usually pretty accurate but you only have to get hit once.

By the way OP, getting a plan in the US can be substantially cheaper than roaming. When I visit Europe I order prepaid SIMs by mail and have them sent to my hotel before my arrival. I arrive at the hotel, activate the SIM card online, and then I'm good to go.

I'd recommend either
>T-Mobile: 100 voice minutes, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data (high speed 5GB/mo) - $30/mo
>Straight Talk (Walmart) with AT&T service (much better network outside major metropolitan areas) - Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (5GB high speed) - $45/mo

Straight Talk is particularly great for using with rebtel as it uses the cell network (can be much more reliable for calls) and connects the call as local on both ends. Both use rebtel, calls are free from the rebtel side (it uses minutes as applicable on your cell phone plan for a local call).
>>
>>15986885
Ohio has so many fucking highway patrol agents and they get half their budget for issuing tickets.
>>
>>15986900 here
>Both use rebtel
I mean if your mom or girlfriend or whatever in Europe/Asia/south america/australia/wherever has the rebtel app as well (free) it'll connect the call for free. The advantage of rebtel vs skype or whatever is that it connects it as a local call, meaning if the person is out and about it's a lot more reliable for voice then data service.

If not, their international rates are dirt cheap. Calling the US from Germany was 1.9 cents a minute.

Also in the US: If you get pulled over by a cop, most cops are nice, but you have to understand that certain things are OK in certain countries but aren't here.

1) Pull over as soon as is reasonably possible. If the cop gets on the mic and yells, pull over ASAP. If you can drive a reasonable distance (e.g. not miles) and get a better shoulder (more room on driver side), do so. Leaving the cop next to highway/passing traffic will make him feel in danger and more likely to give you a fat ticket asap.

2) Turn off the engine, open your driver side windows, turn on the map lights in the forward cabin. Put your keys on the roof and put one hand on the steering wheel, one hand out the driver side window. Keys on roof = Obvious if you to retrieve them to run. Map lights on and hands in obvious places = you don't have your hands on the gun.

3) Wait for the officer to approach the window. DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR. If you get out of the car at best you'll be ordered back in angrily, worst you may have a gun drawn on you and be told to get down. This is an officer safety issue.

4) When asked why you were pulled over, generally you do not want to incriminate yourself and admit why. When the officer asks for license/registration, just to be courteous (and show the officer you are considerate about safety), you may want to say "I'm getting the rental agreement out of the glovebox" and "I'm getting my wallet from my back left pocket".

5) The officer will take your shit and run you on his computer.
>>
>>15986915
>hands on the gun
Sorry, no mandatory guns here. Hands on *a* gun. Our cops carry guns, criminals have them too. You don't want to reach around the cabin like a madman and make the cop think you're getting one out.

5) (continued) If there's no bench warrants or anything for your arrest, he'll come back and probably ask you about whatever perceived violation.

6) You can try to own up to it (some cops will cut you slack, but most will just issue the ticket) or continue to plead ignorance. If the cop is nice and your violation not too flagrant, they may let you off with a verbal warning. Otherwise, if they write the ticket, they'll write it and hand it to you.

7) Usually at this point the cop gets in his car and leaves. Once the cop leaves, unless you have been directed otherwise, you are free to (carefully) reenter the roadway.

8) If the cop asks to search the car itself (e.g. trunk), it's your right to refuse, but he may have you wait while he calls for a warrant, or a dog (e.g. drug sniffing) to get probable cause. This isn't common. If the cop asks you to step out of the vehicle, do so. They can give you a pat down for weapons.

9) If given a field sobriety test and you're failing, you're pretty fucked. If the cop asks you to put your hands above your head, palm to palm, he's usually doing it as the last step before he gently walks behind you and brings them down to cuff you for DUI/DWAI.

10) If arrested (would be extremely, EXTREMELY rare for traffic violations alone), you have the right to remain silent. Demand to speak with counsel from your embassy.
>>
Great tips dude!

I already been in US last year and for some reason in Virginia I took extra care about speed, luckly, becauseI didn't know about their law enforcing about it!

Last year I bought a SIM CARD too, in my country a company sell it, I just needed to install it and use, was flawless. It was a T-Mobile card, worked great in big cities, but in the road wasn't that good, but that's kinda normal. This year I'll buy a straight talk sim in the firts walmart I see, it's cheaper and probably I'll be getting an AT&T. Didn't know rebtel, I'll check it out!

About the pullover, nice tips!
>>
>>15986915
you make it sound like we live under marshall law
>>
>>15986931
It's really dependent on the area (cops in the south are generally more easygoing from what I've seen, but that isn't generally true). In any event, treating the officer with respect and showing them that you appreciate their job and making them feel at ease makes it MUCH more likely that the cop will let you off with a warning or a ticket for a lesser offense.
>>
>>15986927
>It was a T-Mobile card, worked great in big cities, but in the road wasn't that good, but that's kinda normal.
Yeah, we have a big country, and T-Mobile and Sprint are second tier networks here compared to Verizon and AT&T. AT&T backed GSM (most of the world did), while Verizon backed CDMA until LTE. AT&T will get you the most coverage (generally) with an international smartphone. Compatible bands may depend on exactly your country/phone, I could give more advice if you told me your phone, network operator (if not purchased as an unlocked/unbranded device), and country.

You can order the SIM (nano, micro, or standard size - most smartphones use either nano or micro) from the Straight Talk website and have it shipped to your hotel instead. It's not hard to get to a walmart in most of the US, but certain areas (e.g. New York City proper) may have no or few walmarts. If you know where you're staying, you could just order the SIM kit for a dollar, have it shipped there before you arrive, pick it up from the front desk at arrival, and then activate it online... no need for a trip to the store.
>>
>Rental Mustang
Bleck
>>
>>15986957
Few other tips:

US Customs areas prohibit the use of recording devices (e.g. smartphones with cameras) until you clear the area. This is a weird PATRIOT act thing. Truckers have lost trusted traveler status at the US/Canadian border for leaving dashcams on. Anyways, don't use your cellphone until you clear the customs area (this is when you hand your blue declaration card to the officer on the way out; past him and the doors behind him, you're good to go).

Credit/debit acceptance is really good in the US. I don't know how most international debit/credit cards work, but americans on most of them (when they buy outside the US in non-US dollars) get charged a currency conversion fee.

Do not do currency exchange at airports (e.g. Travelex), you'll get fucking fleeced. You're generally better off going to a bank in your country and ordering US dollars, or just using your debit card at an ATM in the US. Generally the owner of the ATM will charge a fee, in addition to any fees your bank may charge for out of network withdrawals, plus a foreign transaction fee (as applicable). My Charles Schwab debit card charges none of these (fees charged by ATM operators are refunded domestically and internationally). Try to withdraw at least $300 at a time to minimize the impact of these fees on the money you take out. You're often better off just swiping and paying the foreign transaction fees as few businesses in the US charge extra for credit/debit card usage.
>>
>>15986957
I have a Galaxy A5 (second tier Galaxy S). It uses Nano SIM and does not support LTE (it's the "regular" 4G, but it isn't a problem, 3G is more than enough). It's unlocked.
My first stop after leaving the rental car place is to walmart to buy some food and some things will use in my trip. I download the offline map in Google Map, so won't be a problem to get there and I need to go, so it's fine and easier than shipping to my hotel, that will get there just late night.

I my thinking about buying a kit like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494
>>
>>15986976 here
Understand the rules of your credit card coverage for rental cars (if any) and what you are liable for. You are not required to purchase rental car insurance in the US generally, but international drivers may vary as you have to have some form of liability coverage. If you use a debit card at rental cars/hotels, they may place a large "authorization hold" at time of pickup/checkin in excess of the expected amount, which can make life difficult if you don't have a ton of money in your checking account.

Always walk around the car when picking it up to check for signs of damage. Any damage (scratches, dents, dings, etc.) should be reported BEFORE taking the rental car out of the facility.

Fuel purchase options from rental car companies are generally a bad fucking idea (you basically have to return the car less than 10% full for it to break even or pay off). Fill the tank yourself. Certain states charge extra for credit card usage at the pump (it's the discretion of the pump operator, certain areas it's unheard of, others [e.g. NJ, NY] almost all stations have a three to ten cent per gallon surcharge for using a credit card).

If you get in an accident, never admit fault to the other driver, and give your version of events to the police. You're also generally required to report the accident to the rental car company.

In most towns, if the speed limit is not regularly posted, it's 30mph (New York City: 25mph). State and County roads depend on the country, but are often 40-55mph. Waze has an option to display speed limits. It's not perfect, but it helps. Traffic is supposed to pass left, stay right on most highways, but Americans aren't amazing about lane discipline. Do not pass in the right lane at 80mph; it's dangerous and cops (if they see you) will pull you over, even if a guy in the left lane is doing 85mph.
>>
File: 1475244943725.gif (2MB, 470x335px) Image search: [Google]
1475244943725.gif
2MB, 470x335px
Any onterrible fags here? I'm always looking for places to go fast but the police are literally fucking everywhere near the GTA, and I don't want to hurt my perfect abstract with a speeding ticket.
Know any places where can I GOFAST without the risk of police and insurance fucking my ass?
>>
>>15986989
>I have a Galaxy A5 (second tier Galaxy S). It uses Nano SIM and does not support LTE (it's the "regular" 4G, but it isn't a problem, 3G is more than enough). It's unlocked.
Okay, band support varies by version. For HSDPA+ ("faux G", a step between 3G speeds and 4G LTE) you should be okay on AT&T. You can get the Straight Talk AT&T kit at Walmart at retail in the electronics section (typically in the back).
>>
>>15986976
My country has a stupid law that every credit card expense in international currency is taxed by 7%, so it's not a good idea to use too much credit card unfortunately. As I already payed the rental car, hotel, show tickets and other expenses, I'll bring cash to buy food and souvenirs, It's not the best thing to do, but worked the last time
>>
>>15986997
I heard Ontario is really fucking bad with cops/tickets/enforcement. Not from there myself (American), I just started looking into it and asking some people because I just got assigned Toyota Canada as a customer.
>>
Why are you visiting the worst part of the country? Is it because it's cheaper that way?
>>
>>15986998
Great!

>>15986992

About the rental car, do I need to return it clean? I mean I may get some dirty roads, is it ok to return with that dirt layer on it or I need to wash it before?
>>
>>15986872
Florida is very relaxed about speeding. I mean the FHP can be strict sometimes but I routinely do 15 to 20 over the limit on highways with the flow of traffic, almost with the cop's blessing as they do it too.

Its not the most exciting state for driving but there can be some fun spots. The weather is nice enough now that you can roll down the windows too.
>>
>>15987005
It's just as bad as you've heard. If you're a young guy, they have a hardon for giving you tickets that are completely absurd. One of my friends got a ticket for going 48 in a 40, which is around going 30 in a 25 in Freedom units.

They patrol practically everywhere, at every time of the day, the cunts. The highway speed limits are 60mph, so I just want to know if there are any stretches I can drive down without risk of running into them.
>>
>>15987008
I already know NY, Boston, Chicago, Indianapolis and DC and I'm going to watch Talladega 500.

My next trip will be west coast, US is a great place to travel, and I love it!
>>
>>15987013
If it's normal dirt/salt/etc. from normal driving then no. If you do some sort of crazy offroading or get it covered in mud or something you may want to run it through the carwash before bringing it back.
>>
>>15987026
great, just regular dirt

>>15986965
Dude, I have a full size sedan with 110 hp, and it's expensive as fuck where I live. Some americans take it for granted some things. Ok the v6 Mustang isn't great, but has 300 hp, convertible, rear drive...
Stop whining
>>
>>15986931
>marshall law
>marshall

are you a fucking retard
>>
>>15986915
>keys on roof arm out window
Wat
>>
>>15987307
Keys on the roof means the cop can see where they are and not in the ignition. If you were to try to run (start the vehicle and leave before the cop tells you to), the motion of your arm reaching back on the roof for the keys would be more obvious than merely turning the keys in the ignition or reaching for them within the passenger cabin.

Putting your arm (or merely left hand on the window/visible outside the car) shows where one of your hands is. With the interior map lights on, as the cop approaches the driver window, he can see one hand out the window, and one hand (thanks to the interior lights) on the steering wheel. It makes it obvious that you're not holding/reaching for a gun or weapon.
>>
>>15986872
>In US there's a fuck ton of cops on the roads, do you guys have any tips?
Avoid big towns because niggers will try to stop you and steal your car or steal your wallet because you owe them reparations.
Avoid suburban areas because the autists here will see that you are driving a Mustang and will point at you and yell "MEEEEEME". That's what inbredding can do.
Avoid the countryside because the roads here are literally russian-tier
tl;dr : never go to murrika
>>
>>15987317
I mean it makes sense but I've never heard of it.
>>
>>15986898
Do not go to Atlanta
Population is 90% niggers.
Cashiers behind bullet proof glass at gas stations.
I'm not talking about some gas station in the ghetto, I'm talking about the one at the offramp on the main freeway.

As for credit cards, you can purchase prepaid cards, so you're not carrying cash.
>>
>>15987280
yes

I'm more tired than retarded rn though, did mean martial
>>
>>15987394
Gift cards are typically a pain because they're not reloadable and charge a $6 fee (or so), and certain businesses may not accept them.

Prepaid reloadable cards generally require a social security number to comply with anti money laundering provisions, meaning foreigners can't get them.
>>
>>15987317
You don't really need to put them on the roof, usually in sight on the dash is fine. Of course, this is sort of a pointless gesture with a lot of the newer cars with push button start. I know I'd never put my keys in my roof, I'm not scratching it to make some dumbass feel safe that I'm not going to run away for a speeding ticket.
>>
>>15986931
Blame the blacks and white niggers
>>
>>15986997
You can rip 160-180 down most country interstates at night.
Did that yesterday
>>
>>15987724
How late at night? I did this once at around 10:00pm and nearly shit my pants when I slowed down and saw an OPP car 30 seconds later. OPP cunts are worse than toronto police.
>>
>>15987724
That's kinda true. I did 80 mph (average) once from St. Louis to Indianapolis around 2 am. No cops and large packs of cars going at that speed.

>>15987326
Are you retarded?
Important question to keep up the conversation

>>15987394
Dude, I'm from Brazil, I'm used to violence
>>
>>15986997
I usually take Weston Road about 10km north of Woodbridge after about 2am. Roads are empty and its just farm fields and no street lights for kilometres. Got well over 200 in that area
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.