[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on wood frames. Given they are not used in competition,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1463.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1463.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Redpill me on wood frames.

Given they are not used in competition, it is my understanding they must be underperforming when compared to other materials such as aluminum, magnesium and whatnot.

But how good are they for a street car/bike? Are they heavier than an equivalent steel frame? Cheaper or more expensive? Easier to work on if you don't have experience with either? Do they flex a lot? Are they less safe in case of crash? Which woods are more appropriate?
>>
>lel redpil me guise XD
>>
>>15962718
not used in competition because fire
>>
Hmmm lets think

Why would you want a thousand plus pound object flying down the road with a brittle wooden frame
>>
>>15962720
Retard.
>>
>>15962724
Is brittle bad? Isn't carbon fiber brittle? It is used in the frame of high-end supercars.
>>
>>15962718
Itt people who think wood is like wet tissue paper because of the "deck" their dad built in their childhood that collapsed when aunt Gertrude stepped on it
>>
>>15962718
Harder to mass produce is all
>>
>>15962718
>british """""""engineering""""""
>>
>>15962774
carbon fiber is stronger than titanium
>>
>>15963161
It's also brittle you autist
>>
>>15963173
People have this argument with bicycle frames all the time. Saying that they prefer aluminum over carbon fiber because carbon is too brittle. But if you took a spill on a carbon bike and broke the frame, then the same crash on an aluminum frame would have broken the aluminum frame. It's fucking strong okay
>>
>>15963138
Only sensible answer ITT.
It's actually surprising that greenfags aren't yelling that wood should come back since it's renewable.
Morgan getting into EVs might help in the future.
>>
>>15962718
It rots and gets eaten by insects.
I don't think you could get 25 years out of a wooden frame. Even if you used high quality treated wood it's just too vulnerable when you're using it as a car

Also the heat from the motor /exhaudt would set it on fire like right away.
>>
>>15963183
carbon fiber frames regularly break while aluminium frames do not.
>>
>>15962718
are by chance a fucking idiot?
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (68KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
68KB, 800x800px
>>15963183
Like the honourable katana, a carbon fibre frame is strong and precise

but it's brittle and will fuckin get rekt by a gladius.
>>
>>15962730
kek
>>
i would be less worried about carbon fiber's brittleness and more worried about fatigue life over time, something steel alloys and aluminum are generally better for.
>>
File: Morgan Roadster 2005.jpg (348KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan Roadster 2005.jpg
348KB, 768x512px
>>15963216
>Also the heat from the motor /exhaudt would set it on fire like right away
Not in a street car.
Heck, these are even raced every now and then and they survive it.
>>
>>15963464
>Heck, these are even raced every now and then and they survive it.
yeah by the one sole car manufacture that uses wood frames. shit if they set on fire they'd be out of business, they're not like ferrari's
>>
>>15962718
Morgans use wood for the underbody frame. That's the frame supporting the bodywork. NOT for the main chassis and engine supports.

It's also ash, carefully farmed near their factory.

But go ahead and make a car out of unseasoned pine if you want to.
>>
>>15962774
Carbon fiber is not brittle
It brittle is "shatter when you hit it with a hammer"
Carbon fiber is far more springy than you would imagine
>>
>>15963225
this is complete bollocks
>>
>>15963735
why are mountain bikes aluminum then fuckface. Get a 7000 dollar fuji or fiji or whatever that shits an aluminum alloy frame
>>
>>15963767
Except they're not. Those $5k+ mountain bikes are generally carbon fibre now. Anything less is generally aluminum.
>>
>>15963577
Springy (elastic) is not the opposite of brittle. Ductile (plastic) is. Neither CF nor wood are ductile. Metals like steel have both elasticity and plasticity.

But if lack of plasticity is bad, why is CF used?

Of course it is probably much better than wood (also much more expensive), but the point is lack of ductility, or brittleness, can't be that bad in itself.
>>
>>15963767
they are also god tier bikes with cro-moly steel.
Or magnesium. What does it prove?
Competition bikes are disposable. They aren't suppose to last years. That doesn't stop rich idiot goyim to buy them just because they saw the in tour de france.
>>
>>15962718
The Mememachine uses a wooden undertray.
>>
>>15963216
Are people really this stupid?
Have you kids really never worked with wood in your life?
>>
y'all understand that houses are made of wood right?
>>
>>15967838
In third world
>>
>>15967838
Apparently, everyone here forgot that some of the oldest buildings in the world have their roofs made of wood and that wooden furniture can last centuries.
I guess Ikea is to blame.
>>
Coming to 4chan for answers to technical questions is as silly as building a car out of wood.
>>
>>15962718
wood is briddy strong under load but not shock
it has more capacity for flex than steel but is prone to fractures along its grain

reasons not to use it in a modern context ?
hard wood takes 100+ years to grow
dry rot
insects
mould
moss
replacing your frame every few years

>itt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_of_materials
>>
>>15963161
Steel is stronger than titanium you cretin
>>
File: fcc4541f8af97a05fb09aa6da54d6a06.jpg (285KB, 1000x656px) Image search: [Google]
fcc4541f8af97a05fb09aa6da54d6a06.jpg
285KB, 1000x656px
>le wood is weak meme
>>
>>15969831
To be fair in the case of WW2 planes it was mostly "wood is cheaper, lighter and we are broke"
Notice that wood was almost completely removed from military planes right after WW2
>>
>>15969851
Notice that wood isn't weak or brittle or any of that shit that has been said in this thread. It's just not the best material for ultra light ultra stiff cars.
>>
>>15969864
>Notice that wood isn't weak or brittle or any of that shit that has been said in this thread
Sure isnt. The very fact that it's still widely used in architecture should be proof enough.
>t. wannabe Morganfag, can't indulge yet because money
>>
Here's a modern take on a wooden frame... and wheels, suspension springs, seats....

http://www.joeharmondesign.com/the-car
>>
>>15969876
>The very fact that it's still widely used in architecture should be proof enough.
architecture is not a high speed race car

houses are not cars
>>
>>15963464
do you have any concept of how hot exhaust manifolds get
>>
>>15969831
Mosquitoes had delamination problems in hot/wet climates (like ur mum's pussy when she sees me lel)
>>
>>15962718
>ITT
Everyone gets retarded because a little kid asks a question
>>
>>15967838
You understand that houses don't normally experience forces of upwards of 2 G's on a regular basis, right?
>>
>>15972281
Not unless yo momma in there using that toilet Roflmao!!
>>
>>15972281
>his house doesn't normally overtake cars on the Tsukuba circuit
>>
>>15962720
I agree, the "redpill" meme is really getting old.
>>
>>15962718
Wood strength is actually pretty impressive, but generally an equivalent strength will require more volume compared to metal (but sometimes less weight, depending on the application).

In terms of mechanical properties, the "grain" of the wood fibers probably presents the greatest weakness, as flexed wood is prone to splitting along the grain. I would imagine that modern wood composites can do a lot to mitigate this, however.

Practical concerns exist also, in that wood cannot be truly welded in the same manner as metal, so wood construction is forced to depend on fasteners and adhesives. There's also the not-so-small issue that wood can deform and degrade degrade rapidly if exposed to moisture, and is generally more difficult to protect long-term than steel. Keeping the wooden structural members dry in a building isn't that difficult, but accomplishing the same in a mobile vehicle exposed to the elements would pose more of a challenge.

>>15963183
For bicycles, carbon "safety" isn't really about crashes. If you crash badly enough, you're likely to break shit regardless of the material. Modern, quality bicycle frames have some damn impressive resilience, whether they're carbon, aluminum, or even steel.

The "problem" with carbon is fatigue and longevity. Aluminum frames tend to crack as they begin to wear out. Carbon, however, has developed a bit of a reputation for snapping or otherwise failing catastrophically from fatigue. Granted, even this is probably somewhat overblown, as many of cases of frame failure have resulted from defective frames rather than anything inherent to CF. Not to mention, if you're the sort to buy CF bikes, odds are you won't be riding them until the wheels fall off anyway.
>>
With the right timber, glue and experience; you could make a wooden car frame in your garage. You can laminate thin strips together to get complex curves. In boat construction, aluminium and timber have very close strength to weight ratios
>>
>>15963183
I always liked carbon bikes until i saw one assplode at a bikerace i was working at and saw the spandexcunt on it kiss the pavement.
I'll stick to aluminium frames.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.