[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are fram filters really that terrible o? I see everyone always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

File: framfilter.png (270KB, 562x384px) Image search: [Google]
framfilter.png
270KB, 562x384px
Are fram filters really that terrible o?

I see everyone always saying they are absolute shit but today i went to autozone to buy oil and a filter for my turbocharged car which requires synthetic oil and the only brands they had where fram, k&n, bosch and duralast or whatever the autzone brand is

Fram and duralest where the only ones that had filters that specified they were for synthetic oil so i ended up buying a fram

So is fram really shit or is it just a meme?
>>
Meme. They're fine.
>>
>filters that specified they were for synthetic oil

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HOLY SHIT
>>
They didn't have fucking Wix? They don't have those on the shelf, you ask for them. If you split a Fram filter open you'll see it looks like something Macguyver made out of bathroom supplies. They're fine for shitboxs. If you have a fancy turbo car running synthetic spend the goddamn money for Wix.
>>
>>15948833
well considering synthetic oil runs for about 10kmiles and reg oil only around 3k miles there has to be a difference in the build of the filter to last more than three times as long
>>
>>15948815
>fram is about 3.50 at wally world
>pro select napa filter is 4.20 and far superior

I don't mind paying an extra 70 cents for a metal spring and end caps.
>>
>>15948891
this fram ultra costed 9 dollars...there was a k&n for like 6 but wasnt designed for synthetic oil
>>
>>15948815
>I see everyone always saying they are absolute shit
You are blind. Or cannot read. In those threads, there were plenty of explanations countering the troll guy that hates Fram. The troll kept on posting over and over for weeks. It was clearly the same person. It might even be alphonse trying to get people not to use a reasonable usa-made brand. It would please trolls that people foolishly take their advance.

ITT: OP didn't read the previous threads sufficiently.
>>
File: 510kIh-zRzL[1].jpg (38KB, 500x397px) Image search: [Google]
510kIh-zRzL[1].jpg
38KB, 500x397px
Bosch is top tier, you fucked up senpai. FYI there's absolutely no difference between a filter that specifies that it's for synthetic or otherwise, it's likely just the information that some $7.50 employee at Autozone couldn't be bothered to enter into the database.
>>
>>15948815
They are fine I have been running from for 5 years. No problems at all. I have used all frams
Extra guard
Tough guard
High mileage (personal favorite)
And ultra synthetic

Never
Had
Issues
>>
File: PA181322.jpg (101KB, 810x608px) Image search: [Google]
PA181322.jpg
101KB, 810x608px
>>15948815
Get Wix/NAPA Gold/Mobil 1, it's cheaper than the highest end fram and much better. Those three are all the same filter, made by Wix.

>>15949726
t. fram employee

Go read on bobistheoilguy and look at the filter teardowns. Fram is absolutely the worst in terms of media quality, number of pleats, pleat spacing, gasket quality, and anti-drainback valve quality.
>>
>>15949899
Don't forget cardboard end caps.
>holding 65psi with oil soaked cardboard.
Filter Research And MARKETING.
Frame is a shit company- they pump out commercials- that's why people buy them, not quality or word of mouth. Its advertising 101.
>>
>>15949783
No, they're not fine.
They leak dirty oil into your engine.
Are you expecting the case to leak? Is that what you think an oil filter failure is?
Go do research.
>>
>>15949899
>Go read on bobistheoilguy and look at the filter teardowns.

LIAR. You're one of those revisionists. Look at the recent posts. Also, do not buy chinese knock-off fram copycats. The chinese even reprint the box packages. Buying a copycat and then blaming the brand name doesn't count.
>>
>>15949726
>alphonse posting articulately

Yeah no.
>>
>>15950282
>used oil in engine
>used oil gets filtered by Fram
>filter sucks in oil and recurculates it
>tells me it leaks dirty oil into engine
>oil is already dirty
>retard
They are fine. Now fuck off filter shill.
>>
>>15951481
Yiu don't even know what shill means, and you're retarded if you can't figure out what he meant. The filter traps various crap. Fram filters are way more likely to have some of that crap recirculate.
>>
The Fram Ultras are pretty damn high quality, but you also pay for them ($8-9 a filter, last I shopped).

For that much its cheaper and easier to buy OEM filters in bulk.
>>
I use to work at O'Reilly. My coworker and I cut open each brand of filter we carry to show customers to help them make their choice (since there is so many of them!). The Fram, by far, was the WORST looking filter. It really was nothing more than cardboard and hot glue. The Microgard (the house brand) filter was a way better construction than the Fram, and it was usually a dollar cheaper.

Buy Microgard if you want a decent, inexpensive filter. Buy Wix if you want something better.
>>
File: 410-PH3506.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
410-PH3506.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>>15951724
This
>used to get fram filters b/c of grippy end and weird mount on my engine
>realized that i could get more pleats and better drainback valves with OEM
>for half the price
>used the saved money to plasti-dip the ends of my filters
>>
>>15953428
>Not just spending the $5 wasted on plastidip for a filter vice grip

Why not?
>>
File: 280px-Ka24et.jpg (33KB, 280x286px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Ka24et.jpg
33KB, 280x286px
>>15953459
>didn't read "weird mount"
couldn't fit one in the space unless you went under the vehicle and stretched really far
I preferred to just stick my hand under the intake and unscrew it blind
>pic related
>>
>>15949740
I use bosch too. No bullshit or gimmicks just a strong solid filter got 10k on my bosch filter
>>
newbie here
how are K&N filters?
>>
>>15953537
good but usually overpriced
>>
Donaldson or Fleetgaurd is top tier, and not as overpriced a the Fram tier Ryco crap we get marketed here. Best diesel 4x4 filters.
t. ausfaggot.
>>
>>15953690

Nah, Ryco meets OEM spec. Use a lot of Ryco elements on Perkins Diesel engines where Caterpillar want to rape your face for parts cost. Nothing shows up on the Cat SOS oil sample, never had a perforation or anything like that. Element looks similar in size and pleat density to the Donaldson equivalent.

All Donaldson fuel filters though. Don't think there is anything better that is a universal replacement element.

>>15951481

You've got no clue. A filter is under pressure, not suction. It prevents contaminates from passing any further than the element by trapping particulates in the pores of the cellulose material. This builds up into a layer of gritty and abrasive sludge. When the filter media fails or the cardboard end cap fails this buildup is free to be pushed under high pressure into the lube oil galleries where it can either foul the gallery or make it through to a bearing and destroy the bearing.

Your engine man, use what you want. But legitimately a toilet paper roll in a bypass housing is far more effective and reliable than a Fram element.
>>
>>15948815
Bad for oil filter. Ok but noticeably hurts airflow for airfilters.
>>
>>15948838
Just do your own research, ya cocksucker. Fram makes top quality filters, and every test ever done proves that. They had a bad run that should have been recalled a few years ago, but so has every company in the fucking world.
>>
Fram Ultra is one of the best filters you can buy, rest assured. A bit overpriced, but it's metal and not finer ends.

It's the orange can and toughguard that's dodgy.
>>
File: He_thinks_Fram_is_good.jpg (253KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
He_thinks_Fram_is_good.jpg
253KB, 2048x1536px
>>15954894
>>
>>15955261
And you still have literally no idea why any of that is good or bad. Fram filters are among the top tier for a reason, and it isn't advertising.
>>
They make good supressors
>>
File: TRqQ9E0.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
TRqQ9E0.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>15955261
Fram:
Dirty oil goes in, clean oil comes out.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 300x188px
>>15954894
>>15954894
Right, and Arco sells top tier gas.

Fram's canister filters are especially shit. I can't tell you how many of those things I've pulled out that collapsed in on themselves. Makes you wonder about inside the spin-ons
>>
>>15955287
>literally fucking CARDBOARD
>>
>>15955324
Look into it, the flexibility allows the pleats to stay attached to the caps, where as rigid metal begins to separate.

>>15955321
They all collapse like that if you leave them in long enough. It's a canister design flaw, not a fram flaw.
>>
File: alphonse.jpg (75KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
alphonse.jpg
75KB, 1280x688px
>>15955324
>>literally fucking CARDBOARD
That is false you TROLL. It is a synthetic fiberboard. It has no paper or cardboard in it.

You keep trolling Fram cardboard this over and over month after month. Something is wrong in your head or you've cross-circuited some sort of emotional problem over onto Fram.
>>
>>15954894
>>15954894
>>15955340
Nigger go troll somewhere else. Enjoy your arts-and-crafts filter element and no internal bypass when that shit clogs up.
>>
File: 2016-08-18 KentuckyBro.jpg (1MB, 1823x1380px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-18 KentuckyBro.jpg
1MB, 1823x1380px
>>15955032
>Fram Ultra is one of the best filters you can buy, rest assured. A bit overpriced, but it's metal and not finer ends.

I use Fram Ultra not just because of the efficiency for 20um particles, but because there is a wire mesh along the entire pleat surface. The mesh even goes inside the pleats to make sure the filter media has strong support against any hole blowthrough.

If you have an EcoTech engine that stops and starts frequently, then you will have varying and frequent pulses of oil pressure. The Ultra filter with the mesh support is suited for engines like that.
>>
>>15955372
Enjoy being an ill informed mouth breather.
>>
>>15955354
Is this a parody of a post someone wrote directed at Alphonse?
>>
>>15955354

It's not synthetic fibreboard you dolt. It's pressed cellulose.

Which is cardboard.

Nigger please.
>>
File: 0003150800422_500X500.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0003150800422_500X500.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
OUT OF MY WAY SHITLORDS
>>
>>15955287
>no idea why any of that is good or bad
You may not, but anyone with any sort of a brain would know that more surface area of the filter element, the better. Clearly the Fram doesn't measure up to the competitors.
>>
>>15948841
Well when you run synthetic oil for that long you still change the filter at least once before you change the oil. Idiot.
>>
>>15955261

That's the el cheapo FRAM filter. Extra Guard or whatever.

>>15948815

These are the ones to buy. They have a metal mesh in them that's covered by a fabric. If you want a peak, just go to Walmart or some shit and pop open one of the internal filter boxes to see it exposed. It's quite nice.

You get what you pay for with FRAM. The Extra Guard ones are like $3. The FRAM Ultra's are usually under $10 and last a long time (I typically change the filter out once a year just to do it, probably don't need to). Nothing wrong at all with FRAM products as long as you aren't buying their bottom tier shit. It's their bottom tier for a reason. It's like being mad about cheap garbage bags being easier to rip. No fucking shit asshole, pay for nicer ones.

Honestly probably one of the better commercial oil filters you can get.

>>15948833

It's not so much specified for oil as it is for filter life. Conventional oil is meant to be changed more often, so the filters weren't designed to last as long (hence the literally cardboard). The "synthetic" filters are designed to be more sturdy and have longer lives.

They market them this way though for what you just said, it's easier to sell them this way. I go through 2-3 oil changes with the FRAM Ultra, but I change more often than I probably need to. I've cut them open afterwards to look and they're still structurally sound.
>>
>>15956068

With the newer filters, it's not unusual to change the oil multiple times before changing the oil. It's just how it is now.
>>
>>15956038
this 2bh fayum.

OEM a best.
>>
You can have cardboard ends on your filter element, or aluminum ends.

Your pick.
>>
>>15956114
When Wix is top tier for $8, why spend $2 more on a FRAM that's questionable at best?
>>
>>15956117

Man that gives me the heeby-jeebies.
>>
>>15956038
>tfw can't buy non-synthetic motorcraft oil anymore at vatozone
FUCKING WHY.
>>
>>15951343
>go to autozone/walmart
>buy Fram
>YOU DIDN'T BUY THE NON-CHINA-COPYCAT WHICH IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR 19.99 ON AMAZON
>TEST INVALID
>>
So was this thread just a chance for the FRAM shills to start posting as much as they ever have? Its well known they're shit, but this just looks like damage control by a bunch of poorly paid monkeys.
>>
>>15956788
>an oil filter company would pay people to shill here
Probably just some fishermen.
>>
>>15956038
Heh heh, I've put one of these on a kohler lawnmower engine five bucks vs eight for an oem with twice the capacity to boot.
>>
>>15956392
Go to wally world?
>>
>>15951343
>>15949726

/o/ has been agaisnt fram long before you and alphonse started posting here. i can smell your new from 5k miles away where they don't even sell shitty filters.
>>
>>15948815
The fram ultra synthetic's are pretty good from what I hear, but every other fram filter is pretty much garbage. You should have gotten bosch distance plus, they're $10 or so at wally world.
>>
>>15957281
As an actual marketingfag I can't express how absolutely stupid people who think others shill on here are.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.