[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys drive for fun? I recently bought a Golf GTI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

How do you guys drive for fun?

I recently bought a Golf GTI and, while I enjoy driving it, I don't know how to really drive "for fun". Supposedly, it's a "fun" car. Pretty much all of the roads around me are populated and have low speed limits. Yeah, I can get on the highway and enjoy the acceleration, but there's only so many times you can do that.

Why do you guys enjoy driving? When do you drive when it's not a necessity? While I really like my car, I could have spent 4-5k less and got a car that's every bit as comfortable but worse at "driving"
>>
the only way to have fun is acting like a retard or curvy roads

going fast is for less than intelligent folks and teenagers who just got their license
>>
>>15948393
If that's the case, then why do so many people here buy cars that are impractical for things other than fun driving, like Miatas and such?
>>
File: redwood.png (635KB, 1254x957px) Image search: [Google]
redwood.png
635KB, 1254x957px
>>15948376
Go out at night and hit a technical road hard. Hard enough to go out of your comfort zone but not out of you or your car's skill level.

If you don't find it fun then driving isn't really your hobby
>>
go to the track
>>
File: Capture.png (96KB, 717x923px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
96KB, 717x923px
>>15948412
Lets say that you don't live in California but instead live in New England. Though I did enjoy driving up into the state park near Santa Barbara.
>>
>>15948376
Wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning and go to the best roads in your area.
>>
>>15948440
>new england

sorry

good luck
>>
>>15948376
if you have to ask..
>>
>>15948412
> redwood
> technical
im gonna keep giving you shit until you come to more meets faggot
>>
You have to find a nice curvy road and drive there at the right time.
Just before dawn is a great time, but around 2-3PM is good too (in my experience, but depends on the location). Go there and practice at first. Don't go too fast too soon, learn the road, then you can get faster with time.
My touge is pretty much deserted around 2PM, so that's where I go to hone my driving skills.
>>
>>15948440
small town new england or dense af new england?
>>
>>15948513
>>15948453
>>15948412
Midnight touge crew.
>>
File: mines.jpg (242KB, 983x721px) Image search: [Google]
mines.jpg
242KB, 983x721px
>>15948506
Redwood is more technical than most of skyline, especially when you turn off into lower pinehurst
>>
>>15948524
New Hampshire, so small town. I know the Kangamagus is supposedly fun and scenic but that's about it. Maybe I'll go there some weekend. I'm seeing my GF in upstate NY this weekend so I'll go through Vermont (on 7) which is fun.
>>
>>15948410
yeah why would anyone buy anything but a fiat500/vw polo, if going fast isn't fun?
>>
Basically:
How to speed safely and not get tix???
>>
File: 1467703908541.jpg (116KB, 1147x825px) Image search: [Google]
1467703908541.jpg
116KB, 1147x825px
>>15948545
>mfw commute on the 9 five times a week against traffic both ways and still hit it for midnight touge on the weekend

9 home course represent
>>
>>15949028
radar
know where ur cops like to hide
speed at night
do a slow pass prior to your speed run
i think ppl use waze?
>>
>>15948376
You bought a Golf OP, you fucked.

Get urself a RWD car with some power. Have stoplight races and git sideways.
>>
>>15949109
Laser jammers
>>
>>15949117
>laser
>jammer
Mirrors?
>>
>>15948562
ive been up there. your state roads do suck.
>>
>>15949081
> the 9

drive off a cliff
>>
muhhh mountains
muhhh hills
muhh hking

when i want to do something just head to evergreen colorado
>>
Does anyone know any cool back roads around Las Vegas?
>>
>>15949081
9 to 35 is a great route.

I'm UCSC fag and i'll try to hit it once a quarter or so
>>
>>15949560
You learn that by driving around
>>
i just go an alternate route on the way home from school since i cant be late to get home, then just romp the curves
>>
>>15948412
Is night time the safest time to drive hard? Poor visibility, and other drivers are less careful dipping into your lane etc. because they're tired or think they're alone on the road.

I always figured middle of the day when other people are at home or at work to be the best time.
>>
Am I basically fucked? Going to attend uni in Chicago. Looked on a map and realized the nearest mountain roads are all the way in fucking Kentucky.
What do? Are there any nice roads along the great lakes?
>>
I drive a 3+ ton lifted truck so about the only fun I have is driving around with the windows cracked and listening to the turbos spooling up, giving it just enough throttle to let the rumble of the exhaust slowly turn to a roar and then letting off, hearing the crisp "PSHHH" of the BOV. it's a lot louder than I wanted it to be, but man, I love listening to it.
>>
>>15948376
motorcycle

It's awful when driving becomes a chore because it only gets worse from there
>>
What I do when I go for a fast drive:

>Late at night
> sun setting, pop up headlights
>No music, I have to listen to the motor
>4AGE, leaving my neighbor hood slowly,
> I live in a city where there is a lot of good roads for fun
>Go star speeding on the quite highway
> faster and faster
>turning off to the even quitter side streets.
>drive until it's out of my system
> drive home
> sleep and take it easy
>>
File: 1475719446826.gif (85KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1475719446826.gif
85KB, 375x375px
>>15949577
oh shit my buddy just got into UCSC, he was apparently invited into this car club there.

>>
>>15949932
Driving in Chicago is is own sort of fun, it's like running with a rabid wolf pack with raw meat strapped to your back.

I hope you've got a beater though, there is a fair amount of contact and anything short of a bent frame doesn't warrant insurance. Weird cultural thing I guess, I mean you slam into a guy, smash his rear bumper in, he gets out, looks and waves it off, drives away. Been about 10 years since I've driven there though.
>>
>>15949081
9 is a great touge road ive hit it a few times with my friends
>>
>>15949770
The best roads are alternate roads (as in, they were bypassed by highways or something), meaning the only people on those roads at night are doing the exact same thing you're doing

night's the only good time because there will be lots of useless daytime drivers, and if the road is sufficiently technical your visibility isn't much worse anyway
>>
What's the name of the website that shows good driving routes around you?
>>
>you will never touge in the straight road land of arizona. Feels bad man. Phoenix 4 lyf tho
>>
>>15949577
UCSC? Oh shit me too. I might have seen you, do you any decals or slaps on your car?
>>
>All these Santa Cruz fags
>>
>>15949117
This. OP bought the wrong kind of car for his driving conditions.Big power is what's fun in traffic.
>>
You know I'm a new driver, so this post will probably be cancer to most, but shit, the most fun I have is just passing people. Not being a dick and endangering people, but just being able to weave through traffic when I can. Unfortunately my daily commute is like 5 miles, so I barely get any time to actually go fast. This makes me look like a cunt, especially since it's a smaller city where people seem to have all the fucking time in the world to just coast, but I can live with that.
>>
PV drive S
>>
>>15950425
the best is passing people on windy roads at night with your headlights off, i wish i could record their reactions. if the moon is bright enough, the road i like to drive is illuminated enough for me to drive faster than most people would with their headlights on. if you're like me and don't value your own life try it sometime
>>
>>15950408
>Big power is what's fun in traffic
overheating, wasting fuel and using a tough clutch every 5 seconds is fun?
>>
>>15950472
Might do that if i ever can, unfortunately this shit hole is all flat farmland.
>>
File: vw_car_penis.jpg (74KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
vw_car_penis.jpg
74KB, 500x334px
>>15950391
>>All these Santa Cruz fags
>>
>>15949028
speed at place where noone has a reason to be

>>15950325
http://www.twistyroadfinder.com/
http://www.alpinespeedstars.com/map/ - if you're near the bay like a lot of people in this thread seem to be

>>15950484
sounds like it'll be easy then, if you see taillights up ahead turn off your headlights and fly by them at WOT
>>
>>15949770
you want to go at night because you can see oncoming headlights around bends.
>>
>>15950480

>Expecting /o/, the epitome of busriders, to know shit about driving

Look around you, talk about fun driving and all you'll see is

>muh v8
>muh rwd
>>
>>15950498

Not that anon, but thanks. Sadly not that many roads marked in Portugal, but I see a couple close to me I'll try.
>>
>>15950498
>http://www.alpinespeedstars.com/map/

FUG, so many good roads in that area. Where I live there's only ONE, and while it's very nice it's also very short, it's over as soon as you begin.
>>
>>15948376
I just like cruising around. Alone with good music or with a friend or two. Sometimes well just drive to some random place and just walk around and explore. We may end up sitting on a random bench for 3 hours just talking. Who knows?
>>
>>15948393
>going fast is for less than intelligent folks and teenagers who just got their license
t. 86 owner.

>going slow is thinking man's driving
>cuckoldry is the thinking man's fetish
>>
>>15950890
There are very few places where you can go legitimately fast on public roads without risking a nasty reckless driving misdemeanor, and most of those places are out in the high desert

doing pulls on freeway onramps is boring shit
>>
>>15948376
I have know a road near my villa that's part of a rally stage with zero traffic 99% of the year. I discovered it when i was 17 and driving me mums fwd, 60hp hatchback and had so much fun there that it's become my summer retreat ever since. I drive the mountain just outside my city durring winter cause nobody goes there when it snows and i can pull mad doriftos in my super-ultra-hairdresser meme machine, also known as mx-5
Captcha: nippon high green
>>
File: horseshoe.jpg (251KB, 1429x789px) Image search: [Google]
horseshoe.jpg
251KB, 1429x789px
picture related

you can see if there are any cops, you can see if there's any traffic either way, and if you fuck up and pull a Mustang you might be able to drive away with only some dented body panels

shame this is 200miles from any decent town
>>
>>15949560
Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire if you can avoid the fuzz, some of the roads around Lake Mead.
>>
>>15950347
Someone help us
>>
>>15950347
>Tortilla Flat
>hwy 87

Get off your ass and drive, faggot
>>
>>15950347
Phoenix a shit. Also use twisty road finder.
>>15950951
Done this. P good shit
>>
I like to flash high beam on literally everyone plus honking. Makes me kek everytime
>>
>>15950977
Twisty road finder?
>>
>>15948376
>How do you guys drive for fun?
Look online at the tourism sites for your state. You should find some info on scenic locations or scenic road trips. Of course, some states don't have much on environmental scenery such as nebraska.

Look for "cruise-ins" in your area. You'll find people there talk about fun places to drive. And a lot of times it is more fun to drive as part of a small pack of drivers than alone. If you don't know what a cruise-in is like, one of the current /o/ Meet threads talks about cruise-ins in their area >>15897356 and Meet threads for other groups such as arizona have also talked extensively about local cruise-ins.
>>
File: precipitation.gif (2MB, 500x203px) Image search: [Google]
precipitation.gif
2MB, 500x203px
I'm in California so I look for nice mountain roads to drive on. Since you're in New England you can find a scenic back road in the forest for some spirited driving

Maybe take your gf out for a drive and have a picnic
>>
File: 446346.jpg (58KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
446346.jpg
58KB, 720x480px
>>15948376
get a bike

average stock bike is faster, cheaper and more fun than 99.99% of cars, corners are actually challenging and fun, theres always that feeling of danger

free yourself from the cage
>>
>>15950504
Harder to see derr though
>>
>dab
>put on fitting tunes
>lower windows/roof
>drive 15-20 minutes out of town to where there are shitton of 50 mph wooded 2-lane roads
>drive 5-10 miles over limit at most
>>
>>15948376
You're beyond saving. You drive your own drive. Other people telling you what is fun probably won't be fun for you.
>>
>>15952218
We're not telling him what fun and what isn't. We're giving him ideas of something fun to do.
>>
Motorcycle on a nice scenic mountain road.

Just need that nice mix of curvy bits to focus your mind, then some nice straights or long sweeping curves with a nice view.
>>
>>15952181
plus a bike is always fun to ride. even when going slow.

It only sucks when you are in stop and go crawling traffic and you can't lane split.

though I have a trick for that. I get over to the shoulder. get off the bike, and push it till I can get to an intersection or off ramp.

cops have never once stopped me for pushing the bike on the shoulder.
>>
I don't have much in the way of interesting roads but I did find a good 2-3 mile stretch that looks a lot like OP's pic (but lowlands) once while on a road trip in my jellybean GT. It was the best couple of minutes of tire smoke, mud and pants-shitting-understeer I've ever experienced.
>>
>>15950015
so you have fun getting gapped by stock v8s because your cucktruck is lifted?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.