[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I drive a 2001 Mazda Protegé 1.6L engine 127k miles on it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: mazda-protege-4.jpg (223KB, 2064x1248px) Image search: [Google]
mazda-protege-4.jpg
223KB, 2064x1248px
I drive a 2001 Mazda Protegé
1.6L engine
127k miles on it

Took it in for an oil change the other day and they said it was fine. I drive all day the next day, it's my job, I drive for a living. I go to Giant Eagle after my shift, and when I go to start my car, poof! Nothing happens! The engine doesn't even attempt to turn over. It isn't the battery cuz it doesn't tick and all the electronics in my car work fine. So I conclude it is probably the starter and left it in the parking lot overnight. I returned today and for some reason my car started right up like normal. So then I drive it around a bit, shut it off, and turn it back on in my driveway - STILL WORKS! Cool, so I guess it was nobigdeal.jpg, so I took it to Walmart and when I come out? Same thing as at GE; doesn't even try to start. Wtf is going on with my car??? Is it a loose wire or something??
>>
Bump for help
>>
Definitely an electrical problem somewhere, I'm guessing it's the starter. Those cars aren't very reliable, used to own one too and eventually it overheated and the piston blew up.
>>
>>15919261
>Those cars aren't very reliable
the fuck? They are VERY reliable. Not corolla tier mind you. But a damn fine car.
>>15919261
I'm going to suggest looking into starter relay.
>>
>>15919412
seconding starter relay
>>
>>15919412
Should I buy a starter then take it somewhere or should I take it somewhere then see what they say?
>>15919412
Yeah my Protegé has treated me very kindly over the last few years. Other than this I just need a new fuel regulator valve, everything else is great
>>
>>15919436
The starter Relay is located in the drivers corner of the engine bay near the firewall.
It can still click even when bad so dont trust it.
Its a $20 part that can be found at any auto parts store or online
Do you by chance have a factory security system?
If yes - check the starter cut switch in the fuse box
>>
>>15919457
I am so not savvy with vehicles I am sorry guys. Don't really know what a factory security system is but I just know my car has never ever done anything like this.
>>
>>15919471
ask someone who knows then... In real life.
Hell, even ask the auto parts guys.
Just tell them you suspect your starter relay is bad and its in the drivers firewall corner of the engine bay.
They will assist you
>>
>>15919485
Will do. I have a question, though. Why would it work just fine the next day?
>>
>>15919471
It's okay. Factory security means it has an alarm system that came from the factory, which means it was bought that way, from the dealership.

The starter relay is a sort of switch controlled by another electric current. Obviously, the engine takes a fair amount of electricity to turn over and start. You can't run that much electricity through the tiny wires in the ignition.

So when you turn the key to start, it sends electricity to the relay, which opens a bigger path for the large amount of electricity to get to the starter.

They eventually fail on most cars due to vibrations. Google it and there's probably an article on exactly how to do it.
>>
>>15919505
Okay, that was made very clear for me! Thanks! That makes sense. Do relays tend to go more easily and often than starters?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.