[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.businessinsider.com/gm-n ew-avenir-brand-2016-9

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

File: 1470827559753.jpg (15KB, 399x223px) Image search: [Google]
1470827559753.jpg
15KB, 399x223px
http://www.businessinsider.com/gm-new-avenir-brand-2016-9

For a hundred years, General Motors was defined by its brands: Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, GMC, Cadillac; Saturn, Saab, and Hummer later joined the portfolio.

But the lead-up to the financial crisis and the Great Recession, driving GM into bankruptcy, saw Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn vanish, while Hummer and Saab faded away.

This was actually a plus for GM, as supporting all those brands had become a drag on the business. Since coming out of bankruptcy, however, GM has discovered that it can develop new brands without having to promote them and market them as such.

On Friday, the automaker's Buick division announced that it had created a new sub-brand, "Avenir." That's the French world for "future," and it takes it cue from a concept car that Buick unveiled in 2015.

"Through the first half of 2016, Buick has been the industry's fastest-growing major international brand, and Avenir is key to future growth and delivering on the high expectations of new customers coming to our showrooms," Duncan Aldred, Buick's boss, said in a statement.

"Avenir will be Buick's signature. The highest expression of the luxury experiences we're delivering now and in the future."

The carmaker says Avenir vehicles "will add distinct touches to Buick's timeless, sculpted designs, including a three-dimensional mesh grille, large-diameter wheels, and unique trim finishes." Interiors will also be upgraded.

The inspiration for this brand-within-a-brand idea at Buick has come from its stablemate GMC. Dealers often sell both brands, and the Denali designation for GMC vehicles has become a de facto premium nameplate, with sales prices approaching those traditionally captured by better-known luxury brands such as Range Rover.
>>
Creating Avenir as a sub-brand also avoids GM's perpetual problem of brand management. The automaker has always struggled with a business model that required brands to capture customers in different market segments, but that also eventually sees the lines between those brands blur.

It's probably better to think of Avenir as a sort of super-trim-level, with premium pricing attached. The move also proves decisively that Buick is back. GM considered killing the brand - the original GM marque - as the Great Recession loomed. GM's China business depended on Buick, however, so the brand had to be fixed at home. The arrival of a new crossover SUV, Enclave, rescued sales at an opportune moment.

The creation of Avenir is a good indication that Buick will be around a lot longer.
>>
Dont they already have cadillac and isnt their revamp plan for cadillac failing?
>>
>>15917704
Fuck GM.
>Take Buick's money and give it to Cadillac.
>Build world beater Cadillacs
>Sell refaced entry level trim Cadillacs as Buicks in the chink market.
>Get $$
Where is my 10 mirrion bonus?
>>
I feel like this will just be a way to charge Chinese customers more money for the same cars
>>
>>15917922
..damn.
>>
File: 13215848.jpg (106KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
13215848.jpg
106KB, 750x750px
>>15917922
JUST
>>
>>15918024
>>15917955
What did I miss
>>
File: 1416867706260.jpg (129KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1416867706260.jpg
129KB, 500x375px
>another entry-luxury brand slotted above Buick but below Cadillac even though no one except for Chinks buys Buicks and no one outside of the US considers Cadillacs luxurious to begin with
>they're literally just Buicks with fancy grilles and wheels
GM will never learn, will they?
>>
File: image.png (14KB, 364x322px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
14KB, 364x322px
>GM moves Buick down to fill the role Oldsmobile used to fill
>Creates a whole new brand to fill Buicks old role
>>
All you need is Chevy and Cadillac. Even Ford realized Mercury was pointless.
>>
>including a three-dimensional mesh grille, large-diameter wheels, and unique trim finishes
So basketballmobiles? more of them?
>>
File: rtr4kzcm.jpg (354KB, 2400x1472px) Image search: [Google]
rtr4kzcm.jpg
354KB, 2400x1472px
Not gonna lie, I kind of like this concept.

That said, their idea of making this a new sub brand is stupid. Though I guess it's smart coming from the company that sudoku'd by having 10million different brands. Instead they make it just an exclusive trim level.
>>
I have no idea what this is for unless its for the chinese market.
For hamericans.. is a performance trimline? does it add anything extra? I mean it seams they want to introduce this brand in brand to compete with cadillac.

Unrelated, the regal is a pretty nice car
>>
>>15918798
They've sold cheap-to-make rebadges across most of their brands for a number of decades and it didn't do them any good either. I don't even know how incompetent you have to be to already dumb down your brands to lazy rebadges and still bleed money through them.
>>
>>15918603
A list of defunct car companies which were once in the palms of GM.
>>
>"Avenir will be Buick's signature. The highest expression of the luxury experiences we're delivering now and in the future."
>The carmaker says Avenir vehicles "will add distinct touches to Buick's timeless, sculpted designs, including a three-dimensional mesh grille, large-diameter wheels, and unique trim finishes." Interiors will also be upgraded.

I don't care about any of this. New Regal T-type fucking when?
>>
reminder that none of this would have ever happened if GM didn't spend fifty years shitcanning every car faster than the corvette
>>
>>15919027
This. Only way I could possibly purchase a GM vehicle, new, is if they brought back the Fiero or didn't have such shit styling for the camaro.
>>
>>15917726
I like the new caddies but caddies will never get away from the fact that only niggers drive them.

Same thing happens with Kia being a piece of shit. It might not be anymore but it will always be associated with being shit.
>>
Why don't they just expand the Corvette line?
With Dodge killing the Viper again, the Corvette is the only American sports car. Why not expand that as a brand? Electric Corvette? Ford GT competition? Pontiac is kill but fuck if you can't take a Corvette base and make the next generation of Trans Am on that shit.
>>
>>15919019
/the wordl doesn't revolve around u u know. .
>>
>>15920325
Fiero. Firebird has traditionally shared a body with the Camaro and I gurauntee it'll have shit styling if the resurrect the screaming chicken. So bring back the Fiero.
>>
>>15920447
>The Corvette Fiero

>its a 30K Corvette
>No removable top
>Built on a new I4 LS Engine, extremely easy to mod or swap for a new engine
>Easily removable body panels
>Front end is more of a flat style with flip up headlights for muh 80s throwback

Would you?
>>
>>GM creating more brands

hahahah you IDIOTS you ABSOLUTE IDIOTS

how many years until we all need to bail these retards out again?
>>
>>15919027
uhh, the last thing GM needs is more impractical cars that only appeal to guys wanting a 'toy'

go to a GM dealership, see if you can find anything worth buying BESIDES a Camaro, Corvette or maybe a work truck.

GM can't survive on premium car sales alone and the rest of their shit is absolutely uninspiring, for fuck's sake they REVAMPED the Cruze and somehow made it WORSE.
>>
>>15920481
Don't call it a Corvette then maybe. Make it MR and call it the Corvair instead.
>>
>>15920481
Have to agree with >>15920497 Don't call it a Corvette. I'd offer it in 4 cyl (ecotec maybe?) and V6, manual and auto, with some throw back styling, and maybe offer it in convertible too. Convertibles seem to be more popular with women so it'll appeal to more than just guys who want a fun little car to zip around in.

While having the swap-able body would be nice, I foresee them basing it on a frame already in production to save on costs which will most likely prevent that. Though in a perfect world yes, it'd be just like you said, at a slightly lower price point with the other stuff I included.
>>
File: 1436895133562.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1436895133562.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>15917704

>tfw Oldsmobile and Pontiac were GM's best brands
>>
File: a9z.jpg (207KB, 973x637px) Image search: [Google]
a9z.jpg
207KB, 973x637px
>>15917704
Yes we all know that GM promoted Holdens boss after he sank the company into the ground and the bogans are still blaming the people who were not buying the shit cars they were making.

Fuck you GM, steal our Torana, give it to Chevy and then let them do nothing with it.

That holden Cruze bullshit was on purpose, they stole the Torana because they knew just how well it was going to sell then they replaced it with a turd.

And what was it all for?
so they could replace the Australian car industry with American crap like chevy.

Just fuck you GM.

We will not forget this and we will never forgive it.

I will personally go around pulling the holden badges off those chevrolet pieces of shit myself if i have to.

>yes i mad
>>
>>15920497
Assuming we are expanding the brand of Corvette beyond the various packages of the C7 I don't see an issue.

Americans want fast and cheap cars. Especially young bucks. I have never seen a C5 to C7 owner who was under 30. The new fiero in this case would be the new tuner type car. Built to be a peppy somewhat fast car stock, but designed to be a easily modifiable just like the Fieros of yesteryear.

>>15920528
Convertibles would require a new production model. Which is fine for a high end car like the standard corvette but for low end car it wouldnt be worth the investment imo.

Kinda begs the question, could GM use the Corvette name as a brand as the brand for a variety of sports cars. With the C7 being the middle ground and something like this being the lower ground and something that competes with the Ford GT being the highest ground.

I can see 4 models of Corvette with this plan,

>Corvette Corvair/Fiero
Lowest price, easily mod-able, etc
>Corvette C7
The Standard Corvette
>Corvette C Electric
See above
>Corvette A1
Ford GT Supercar
>>
>>15920558
>new production model
That's what I was trying to say. IF GM decided to revive the Fiero they would most likely base it off of an existing model. And given the weight of the Corvette it'd be stupid to have a 4 cyl and V6 on the same frame and a new name. Much better to use a lighter car and just call it a Fiero and offer different styling and sportier options like being convertible. I'm not up to date on GM coupes, what do they have in the sportier vein of things? Especially lighter weight ones.
>>
File: 2007-saturn-sky-redline03.jpg (511KB, 1296x976px) Image search: [Google]
2007-saturn-sky-redline03.jpg
511KB, 1296x976px
>tfw Pontiac and Saturn will never come back
>>
>>15920585
I don't keep up with GM cars aside from the Corvettes. But I'm implying they'd use the Corvette as a small branding of a series of various sports cars.
An existing car frame would be fine as long as it was branded as the Corvette. GM could easily revive some of their dead brand's car frames even.

Ford makes Muscle cars. Aside from the now dead Viper, Dodge makes Muscle cars.

That leaves the Corvette, the most recognizable American sports car brand and the only one at that.

So my idea is to use the Corvette branding, and create 4 models of car. The lower end sports car, maybe something like the Solstice on the low end and something like the Ford GT on the high end.

Hell I'd be fine with a Solstice body with a few modern modifications and a retro front end being revived as the Corvette Fiero.
>>
File: 1200x600.jpg (89KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
1200x600.jpg
89KB, 1200x600px
>>15920540
>tfw Pontiac will never build excitement again

Best emblem, too.
>>
File: Pontiac-Symbol.jpg (354KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Pontiac-Symbol.jpg
354KB, 2048x1536px
>>15920677
Literal perfection. Just enough simplicity and understating that it's instantly recognizable without being gaudy.
>>
File: drinking guy.jpg (15KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
drinking guy.jpg
15KB, 600x400px
>>15920540
>>15920677
>Tfw all Pontiacs are now antiques

;_;
>>
>>15920640
I agree with using solstice as the base. That sounds like a good idea to me. I just disagree with using corvette because 'vettes are heavy and a 4 cyl and V6 won't be as fun in them. Simply putting "Corvette" in the name will automatically demand that you use the 'vette frame. Better to have a separate vehicle for their cheap tuner/sporty car.
>>
>>15920707
How do you figure? GTO's were made until like 2008, so they'd only be about 9 years old. Plus I don't think the officially shuttered Pontiac manufacturing until 2010.
>>
File: Wojak131.jpg (33KB, 629x505px) Image search: [Google]
Wojak131.jpg
33KB, 629x505px
>>15920715

>2008 was 9 years ago
>>
>>15920710
I disagree.

You can easily have different frames with the same branding IMO.

It'd just be a different type of 'vette. But all 'vettes are American made sports cars. that's the uniting thing.

>>15920744
>tfw you remember posting on /b/ in 2008 and chatting in chatrooms while your dad struggled to find work and things really hit the fan.

Fuck man. I've been on 4chan for 9 years? I'm only 20. You guys raised me.
>>
>>15920744
Model years are a year ahead of calendar year dumb ass. This is /o/ right? Should be basic knowledge when talking about American vehicles.

>>15920761
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think if you're going to call it a 'vette it'll be on the 'vette frame.
>>
>>15920767

2017 is right around the corner. I want off this ride.
>>
Probably the worst of it is there was no send off for Pontiac, Saturn, etc. The last Pontiac was a G6 base to fill a fleet order in 2010. At least Olds got some kind of "Final 500" Aurora. Not much, but it was like a last middle finger to Pontiac for not really doing shit for the brand besides GXP trims.

But yeah, it's fucking retarded to create a new brand when you already still own several defunct brands with cult followings.
>>
File: no.jpg (185KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
185KB, 800x640px
>>15920761

>I'm 20 I'm so old
>>
So this would be like Honda Legend / Acura RL?
>>
>>15919019
What u want: a sports sedan that's got a bit of the comfy American ride but competes with Mercedes AMG and BMW M-Division in the 'blast the pants right off ur ass' department

What u gonna get: it's a fucking Malibu with more infotainment and cow buttskin leather.
>>
>a brand being a sort of separate highest trim level on some cars in your lineup

that sort of works but the problem becomes, how do you keep avenir from just seeming like a buick with more bling on it?
>>
Will all you faggots please stop talking shit about chevy and GM in general? Chevy has more wins when it comes to tournements than Ford. The corvette is faster or at least on par with super cars at a 10th of the price. The Camaro is much faster than the mustang and both the camaros and corvettes have interiors nicer than BMW.
>>
>>15923101
I'll stop talking shit when they bring back Pontiac and Oldsmobile. At least those cucks aren't passing on everything faster and/or more expensive than a 'vette anymore.
>>
File: opel-insignia-opc-8[1].jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
opel-insignia-opc-8[1].jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>>15919019
>New Regal T-type
It's called the Insignia OPC and the US 'never got it.
>>
>>15917704
Car companies have always done this; this thread is pointless.
>>
>>15923101
>>stop talking shit about this company that required billions of dollars of public money to not fold and continues to produce uninspiring, bland vehicles with corresponding performance.

yeah nah m8.
>>
>>15922964
They seem to do just fine with Chevy/gmc/caddy trucks and SUVs
>>
>>15920761
>>tfw you remember posting on /b/ in 2008 and chatting in chatrooms while your dad struggled to find work and things really hit the fan.
This, my dad worked at a Chrysler plant, the recession and shitty new styling killed that Durango.

Rip in peace Newark assembly
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.