[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many years of this stuff do you think the world still has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: HAZMAT_Class_3_Gasoline.png (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
HAZMAT_Class_3_Gasoline.png
33KB, 500x500px
How many years of this stuff do you think the world still has to fuel our /o/'s?
>>
>>15916278
About tree fiddy.
>>
>>15916278

lots, depends how willing we are to get it. my father owned a oil pipeline company, a few years back he passed away but the guys he worked with said the tarsands were in Alberta have over a trillion barrels of oil left minimum. the world to date since 1850 have used a trillion barrels. if our sites worked 24/7, it would take over a century to extract it all

the reality is, gasoline/diesel are still the best for vehicles. electrics are garbage and i personally think Tesla is the biggest load of shit. the resources to make batteries are diminishing and battery waste is HUGE, with how shitty our battery technology is to this date an electric vehicle will need its batteries changed 2-3 times in a average lifetime. HUGE amounts of pollution, way worse than gasoline engines. a newer V8 SUV pollutes less in a year of daily driving than a snowmobile does within a hour of running, thats how advanced todays gasoline engines are

reality is, gasoline engines are around mainstream for at least the next 40 years. engines will get smaller and make more power in small displacement, once technology is refined enough and oil is pricey enough to extract will we see hydrogen fuel cell and the rest. anyone reading this thread will be long 6ft deep before alternative energy vehicles are a reality
>>
>>15916278
an infinite amount of years,
and heres why,

BMW and Mercedes have both put out statements that their full production will be EV's by 2020. now a few years ago that would have been totally unrealistic, however its not so far fetched in 2016.
now given that those two are moving to EV production others will follow suit, either to appear forward thinkers or to tow the NWO party line.
at which point IC vehicle sales will nose dive and as each year goes by the amount of secondhand IC vehicles available with be inversely proportional to EV sales both new and pre-owned.

ergo, theres plenty of oil left for /o/ to continue using IC vehicles for an infinite time
>>
wasnt there some study that came out a few years back that said that contrary to what we thought, oil wasnt just made of dead dinosaurs and therefore we'd run out, but that the earth constantly makes MORE oil, from decomposed plants and shit? meaning itd be impossible to run out since first- theres still tons of deposits left- and second, by the time we exhaust those deposits, new ones would have formed?
>>
>>15916296
>HUGE amounts of pollution, way worse than gasoline engines. a newer V8 SUV pollutes less in a year of daily driving than a snowmobile does within a hour of running

shit wait....so why do the Jews have us thinking that electric cars are more environmentally friendly if this is the case?
>>
>>15916278
hippies and treehuggers have been predicting the end of oil since the 70's.

well, since the 70's, weve only found more oil. every time theres some shortage, the same people say that we'll run out very soon. And then we find a new deposit, or find some new way of extracting it.
>>
>>15916381
1: to emasculate the population, since large displacement cars in America have become a staple of masculinity and freedom for the past generation, and in the one world government future we are heading to, only nonoffensive 10mph bars of soap will be allowed,

and

2: shekels, why else? electric is just a scam to lure in treehuggers and hippies. its also a very lucrative enterprise, considering it costs about as much as a new car to replace an EV's battery
>>
>>15916393
>emasculate the population
kek
>>
>>15916381

like i said, my father owned an oil pipeline company for over a couple decades and i was an automotive technician and got to speak with the highest people in the industry. electric cars pollute way more factoring in battery changes because of our poor battery technology, multiple batteries that need replacing 2-3 times is a huge waste. funniest is the Tesla guys that have "this car is not powered by oil fueled by war". actually, youre most like charging the thing from oil plant generated power, or coal

as ive always said, get electric batteries to last an average cars lifetime (250,000km) and charge it off of solar, hydro, or wind power and we'll talk. otherwise, theyre getting us no further

>>15916375

the dinosaur thing is long disproved and stupid. any plants and life in general got compressed into oil. we are extracting it more than the earth is creating it, but there is now the abiotic oil theory which is that oil is created from the earths core. some think that because nearly-depleted oil fields have been retapped and alot of oil was found in the previously depleted field. whether the abiotic theory is true, i dont know

you can also grow algae and under heat and pressure create crude oil to make gasoline, with massive algae farms it could be viable but the issue is you need more energy to get that heat and pressure currently than you get out
>>
>>15916396
did you know that the V8 engine has been scientifically proven to be harmonic and pleasing to the Human ear?
>>
>>15916393

when i was in college for my automotive technician courses, one of my buddies found a hybrid Civic on Kijiji for a couple thousand dollars, this was just a few years after the hybrid model came out. he was all gung ho to buy it because it "only needed the EV batteries changed". only Honda could change them, we priced it with them and it was $8400 hence the car being peanuts. its purely laughable

i do applaud Toyota, they have run hydrogen fuel cell prototype 4x4 SUV here in north Alberta in -40c in winter without a hitch. Toyota and Hyundai have both invested alot in HFC technology in the last decade
>>
Fischer Tropsch diesel.
>>
>>15916424

if we used Fischer Tropsch mass scale, our coal reserves would deplete far too fast
>>
>>15916423
I do wonder about hydrogen. while electric is definitely just a meme, Hydrogen seems like it could be pretty legit, while not having to radically alter infrastructure. (which is one of the barriers to EV's, nobody wants to spend the dough setting up electric chargers everywhere) as far as i know, a hydrogen station would be much the same as a gas station but with hydrogen in the tank instead of gasoline, right?
>>
>>15916441

the only issue with HFC is you need platinum as part of the process, i learned how they worked in depth years ago but forgot it for the most part. platinum is a limited resource that we would face the issue of if HFC became mainstream

but yes, the idea would be that current gasoline stations could offer for HFC vehicles as well and be retrofitted to offer both, and eventually when gasoline gets phased out service purely HFC vehicles. this is ideal because it wouldnt be hard to retrofit all the gasoline stations in north America to accommodate this and its less shock to the average population that is used to gas stations and quick refills of fuel. nobody wants to worry about battery charge and 1 hour plus recharge times on road trips
>>
>>15916458
>the only issue with HFC is you need platinum as part of the process
oh ouch yeah I can see how thats a problem
>>
>>15916406
You bring up really good points, I guess I never figured battery waste into the equation. I have figured coal burning power plants into it, though. I think realistically if we change where we get our power from / add limits to natural gas burnoff in crude oil prospecting, we'd see more environmental change than if we switched 50% of all consumer vehicles from IC to EV (which is not gonna happen,at least not soon).

I don't have the technical background to speak about abiotic oil, but I can say that although it's true oil isn't dino-specific, the length of time it takes for any sort of organic matter to go through enough heat/pressure naturally to produce oil is way longer than will suffice for projected human demand for oil. Even if consumption rates were to flatline, we'd still be looking at large price increases and an increase in armed conflicts over oil by 2050. It's not a pretty scenario no matter which way you look at it: it takes hundreds of thousands of oil to be made, and we're using it up faster than the earth could ever replenish. I really think the future lies in either massive algae farms or some other means to produce large amounts of crude in a relatively short timeframe. Even if it takes years to produce a barrel's worth, it would still be better than nothing, as without a means to produce new oil we're not all going to have access to it in the future.
>>
>>15916466

again, we humans are smart. think about it, we went from riding horses everywhere a century ago to being able to travel across north America in a small metal box in a matter of days. i personally think HFC will play a large role in 100-120 years time, but me and likely my children will not live to see it

the big player would be Nuclear powered vehicles, and Ford did create prototypes decades ago (something Ford did right for once...) but the issue is to make the vehicle safe in the event of a crash, youre basically driving a tank. if we can make nuclear safer in a lighter chassis, thats the big game changer
>>
We'll never actually run out, it'll just get progressively more expensive until a point when poorfags have to ride the bus or ride bicycles everywhere and motoring once again becomes a rich man's hobby.
>>
>>15916486

again, we are smart. we have used alot of the oil in the upper crust, but is Albertans figured out the tar sands that add a trillion barrels alone to the earths supply. fracking has given us how much, and within the next decades more technology will come. for quite some time, we are limited to our innovation and technology, not how much oil is left in the earth.

the stone age did not end because we ran out of stones and we didnt stop using whale oil because whales became extinct, we found something better and evolved. we will evolve past using crude oil in the future
>>
>>15916486
hundreds of thousands of years*
>>
i do have to leave, bedtime after working nightshift but i hope all the paragraphs i have posted have dispelled some of the myths of electric vehicles and the constant "the sky is falling we're running out of oil in the next 10 years" myths. what you see and hear when you were in the industry and had a parent in the industry is far different than the spew the media gives you.
>>
>>15916487
technologically, but not only would we need to develop safe nuclear, so that a minor fender bender doesnt start chernobyl, but efficient nuclear disposal. after all, that's gonna be a lot of nuclear cars in junkyards...

I cant see Nuclear cars being any less than at least 200 years away. at LEAST.
>>
>>15916504
to be honest i never believed the myth. partially because even as a kid in the 90's I remember people saying we'd run out of oil, and yet here we are in 1998+18 and we just had a major collapse of oil prices due to extreme output and the development of fracking as a cheap efficient way to extract oil.

Enjoying $2.25 gasoline with a V8 landbarge post 2008, I have absolutely no fear of an oil shortage.

also i generally pay attention to the news and stories on stuff like this so I know the song and dance by now.

not to mention being redpilled (just from doing my homework) on the fact that EV's are just as dirty and bad for the environment as gasoline cars due to how the batteries are made.
>>
>>15916381
Even trucks run clean now a days. The real polluters are ships. Container ships get a pass because they are a necessity but the fucking cruise ships dump insane amounts of co2.
>>
File: img021.gif (15KB, 220x240px) Image search: [Google]
img021.gif
15KB, 220x240px
What about muh hydrogen combustion?
>>
Probably never, most cars will move to electric within 25 years. Gas will always be available but it'll become more niche so fewer fueling stations will be around. You'll still always be able to get it for driving classics
>>
>>15916278
The less fuel there is, the higher the price goes.
The higher the price of fuel, the more efficient cars get, and so less is used.

But considering that whenever the price goes up, US oil companies dig through their archives and exploit 'non viable' deposits that are now viable and push the price back down through supply, or that OPEC just open the taps again, it's unpredictable.
With electric vehicles and biofuels, less gasoline will be needed. Especially when they figure out how to make something almost identical to diesel fuel from algae.

Geological gasoline may run out, but we may well have replicators by then.
>>
>>15916406
This guy knows what he's talking about. The mechanism by which petroleum is created within the earth isn't fully understood and there is plenty of subverted evidence to demonstrate the existing extremely leftist narrative is less than entirely true but don't make the mistake bringing it up in any American universities.
>>
Enough to where I'll be dead before it runs out, after that it won't affect me
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.