[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying, /o/, I really am. I WANT to like electric cars.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

I'm trying, /o/, I really am. I WANT to like electric cars. I really do. They're a cool concept, they cut down on maintenance, no gas bill, but I can't bring myself to it.

I've been a fan of racing since I was a child, no matter the type of car. Yet electric cars are just so different. No sound, no engine, no smell of gasoline, it just doesn't excite me as much. One day, I won't have a choice. From what I've been hearing, EVs are going to replace gas cars in my lifetime (I'm 20). But EVs don't feel like cars. I enjoy working on cars, buying new parts, hearing about other people's setups. Yet with electric cars there is really nothing to work on it seems. They don't "feel" like cars to me. They feel more like accessories, like a laptop or a computer.

Help me like electric cars /o/. I'd rather be in a position where I can like them just as much as I like gas cars than be living in the future when I'm in my 50s or 60s where gas cars are a thing of the past and I'm wishing to travel back in time to the "glory days".

I must sound pretty autistic right now, but cars are something I've been introduced to at a very young age, so it means a lot to me.
>>
OP here

SIDE NOTE:
As a fan of Top Gear (when Jeremy Clarkson was still on it) this video is what initially sparked my interest in EVs. The last line of the video is what got me thinking about the subject I just brought up, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFGX43vubM
>>
EVs will never replace Gas, at least here in America.

EVs fucking suck. You can't work on them, they break you send them back.

It's like a TV, not a fucking car.
>>
>>15884425
>they cut down on maintenance
They eliminate oil changes but that's about it.
>>
>>15884425
Gonna EV swap shitboxes, which is why im in college. Getting ready for hektik torks
>>
>>15884425
>yet with electric cars there is really nothing to work on it seems
>>15884662
>You can't work on them

complete nonsense
>>
>>15884662
You assume that an electric car is as unreliable and prone to failure as an ICE.
>>
>>15884731
Care to explain?
>>
>>15884689
They have a lot less parts though. While we're on the subject, I imagine they're pretty dangerous to work on, what with such high voltage and such.
>>
>>15884809
>They have a lot less parts though.

Not really. They still have gearboxes, suspension, brakes, tires and a myriad of electronics to go wrong.

Yes, You don't want to be playing around with high voltage DC. I'd imagine all the HV cabling is pretty hard to access though.
>>
>>15884425
>>15884457
Thanks for blogging with 4 Chan!
>>
>>15884880
show me an electric car with an 8-speed gearbox
>>
File: zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg (263KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg
263KB, 960x640px
the power output potential of electric motors is absolutely fucking horrifying, but they'll always be limited by energy density of the batteries

look at this mean son of a bitch, the zombie 222

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ

it's savage as fuck and hits 60 in 1.9 seconds now

the lack of sound does suck, but fancy enough sound systems could make something reminiscent of an engine but entirely new and original to EVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn1xbZvS9CI

i'll miss V12s though
>>
>>15884939

There's plenty of EV conversions with 5 speeds, some electric motorcycles use multi speed transmissions too. A single speed gear reduction is still technically a gearbox.
>>
>>15884689
no oil
coolant (thats changeable at least)
transmission fluid
seals/gaskets
fuel management
brakes become much less common of a wear item since the vast majority of brake use is for regen
>>
>tesla shit still needs to go into the dealrship every 12k
so it misses out on a single oil change in between services... its nothing
>>
File: 1272721048033.jpg (86KB, 709x611px) Image search: [Google]
1272721048033.jpg
86KB, 709x611px
>>15885119
>hits 60 in 1.9 seconds now

Holy shit
>>
>>15885362
it's pretty much just traction limited at this point
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.