[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you ever buy an electric car? Personally, I wouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

File: electric-car.jpg (123KB, 900x558px) Image search: [Google]
electric-car.jpg
123KB, 900x558px
Would you ever buy an electric car? Personally, I wouldn't until electrics somehow got better than gas cars.
>>
yup
need to wait until the next round of battery energy density + cost reductions though, once there's a 200+ mile range e-golf for maybe 5 grand more than a regular golf, it'll take off

if the model 3 came in a high performance wagon variant i'd be all over that
>>
Once the charging technology gets to the point where charges from 0 mile range to 200 mile range takes less than 20 minutes and there are charging stations at almost every gas station, I'll be down.
>>
If they made a """Driver's""" electric car, I would buy that shit. None of that touchscreen console infotainment bullshit. Also it would need better mileage per charge than a current tank of gas would get me.

Basically my bar is set high because anything that's not ICE is weird and scary
>>
>>15870424
they can start using hydraulic power steering again, actually, most of the reason that went away was to squeeze like 2mpg out of a car
>>
Two things are holding them down: cost and range.
The performance of some electric cars is totally out of this world.
When EVs with 200+ mile ranges become more available I'll be all over that shit like a rash.
For now...diesel.
>>
No, they'll all be NSA boxes controlled by Apple and Google.
>>
Yes. Once they have a 400 mile range in -40 and take less than 20 minutes to recharge.
>>
>>15870424
>it's a drivers car because it has a shitty 1-din stereo instead of a touchscreen
>>
>>15870584
Because you have to do 400 mile drives in the fucking arctic every other day?
>>
>>15870609

No. But I live in northern Canada which is pretty close. I do drive out to the mountains weekly.
>>
I'd buy one if the price was about the same as an ICE and it had 350 miles of range and supported something similar to Tesla's super charger
>>
>>15870140
Yes, my family has a leaf, but you always have a gas backup. Electric for groceries, gas for travel. Little maintenance, and does not suffer from the same wear and tear that ICE cars do during short trips. anything less then 30miles round trip is done with electric, anything more gas.
>>
>>15870600
>playing Angry Birds while operating a vehicle

wew lad, don't do that shit on a busy road I only want you to die
>>
No. The convenience of gas is that I can fill up, and keep going. Electric cars have to stop and charge, and charge stations are few and far between.
>>
>>15870403
I want Tesla to offer a Model 3 variant where it is motored and geared for an 8 second 0-60 time and a lower rpm high way cruise. So you can go further on the same size battery.

Tesla could have 300 mile plus ranges. Yet they don't so they can have nice, but gimmick, acceleration.
>>
>>15872296
If you have a tesla, you can go pretty much anywhere, in the USA, with the current charger network.

other EVs have huge public charging infrastructure in the metro areas around cities and in cities. DC fast chargers are slower to get put in because of expense and figuring out the best places to put them.
>>
>>15872306

Uhhh ok. I don't think you know how electric motors work.
>>
>>15870140
I would only own an Electric car if I had an ICE vehicle to compliment it (more than likely a truck).

I personally thing that going full Electric is not feasible long term, and that investments should be made in Hydrogen fueling to replace gasoline engines.

As it is, full electrics can have all the range in the world and they won't be adopted widely until either charging times drop to gas-station fill-up speeds, or apartment/condo complexes complete major renovations to support mass charging for their occupants.
>>
>>15872324
A guy in florida went over 400 miles in an early model S. He cruised at like 15 mph and avoided stopping.

Every EV on the market has at least two driving modes. One where your acceleration is weakened to save on battery.

A less powerful motor and gearing designed for cruising instead of acceleration will make the car go further.
>>
>>15870140
Personally I'd love to see a modern materials and technology STEAM powered car

>high density battery packs that heat the electric boiler element
>generates steam almost instantly
>almost all functions of the car can be vacuum controlled
>alternator to feed electric power from axles back to the batteries for in motion recharging
>gas stations could be converted into charging/water stations
>>
I will when they sound cooler.
>>
>>15872273
>touchscreens can only exist in cars for playing games
impressive leap of logic there anon
>>
>>15872372

you've got 5 seconds to tell me how a big-ass touchscreen center console is better than analog controls
>>
>>15872398
>it's a drivers car because the heater controls are analog
is this your argument? i'm not sure as it seems to change with every post
>>
>>15872423
My argument is that you're a fag
>>
>>15872398
allows for less clutter when you have a billion features to control.

look at older Audi consoles. a hundred buttons, knobs, and sliders. It is a fucking mess.
>>
>>15872432
>you're a fag for not getting baffled by bullshit
okay
>>
>>15872359
>He cruised at like 15 mph and avoided stopping.

What's the point of a car if you're going that slow... Take the bus or ride a bike. What a fucking douche.
>>
>>15872436
thanks
>>15872444
still unhelpful fag
>>
>>15872447
If the Model S wasn't set up to be an acceleration gimmick. Then he could have done 300-350 at normal speeds.
>>
>>15872466
I thought it was a rhetorical question as surely no one so clueless about cars would be on /o/
:^)
>>
If the increase range and charging/refueling times then i would consider one.
But really for clean internal combustion engines hydrogen is where its at.
Similar performance of gasoline, none of the emissions.
>>
>>15870140
Yes it's inevitable that I will eventually, but only as a commuter car. I'm a "car guy" (sorry for being so cringe).
I can see how electric cars appeal to techy guys and I accept they are the future but I doubt I would have got into cars as a toddler if they were electric.
I think I'll always keep something with an ICE.
>>
>>15870403
Lithium Ion will never be good.
Full stop.
People have been preaching its demise since the early 90s. Nothing is even on the horizon that will replace it.

Tesla represents embracing that reality, and spinning up a factory to produce these batteries as cheaply as possible by way of modernity and scale.

Just remember though, they can only make them cheaper and marginally better. They will never be good.
>>
>>15872510
Diesel electric and hydrogen baby.
This would be the best future.
>>
>>15872510
There are a lot of batteries out there that beat LiIion in terms of density. the problem is making them also charge fast and hold the same amount of charge after thousands of cycles.

An israeli company has an aluminum air battery that is good for 1000 miles. You just change the water in it every few hundred. Both the old water and the spent battery are valuable enough for recycling.
>>
>>15872542
diesel in cars and light trucks will be dead soon
>>
>>15870140
We have two Nissan Leaf's at work used as city vehicles for dispatch. At first we were all skeptical, but in reality it's worked out pretty well. We put about 60 miles a day on each of them. Sometimes that means one trip to some distant corner of the county and back. But in reality we were able to replace a Prius and one of the older work vehicles with them just fine.

They're also surprisingly fun to drive with plenty of pull when you need it. Adaptive cruise control works good and there's enough space for me to vault in tools, a 6FT ladder and supplies for whatever I'm doing that day so its alright in my book.

Of course I could see that being different if you were in, say, metro Chicago and had expectations to make it to the suburbs and back. Inner city wouldn't be so bad. Where I am all the population centers are so spread out we still have regular transit available for longer trips.
>>
>>15872549
Why do you say that, diesel electric vehicles are great for high energy demands, like over land freight.
>>
>>15872542
hydrogen is a meme.

horrible energy density. you need 4 times the amount of space for the same energy as gasoline.

handling safety is a lot more work than gasoline.

it corrodes everything it touches, and leaks through everything too.

it is horribly energy inefficient to produce, store, transport, and then use.

current industrial hydrogen production comes from steam reformation of methane. so you still have CO2 emissions. they are just at the refinery instead of the car.

it would be more efficient to just burn the CNG in the car. than to make it into hydrogen and use in the car. even more efficient to just burn the CNG in a power plant and use it to charge a battery electric.

fuel cell degradation. fuel cells wear out well before the life of the car and are expensive.
>>
>>15872565
emissions

making a diesel that can pass future emission standards is going to be too difficult and expensive. modern diesels are already not the slow turning ultra reliable engines they once were.

see VW diesel emissions scandal.

see diesel cars with Urea bottles.

diesel is going to be banned from everything but heavy trucking, shipping, and trains.
>>
>>15872565
because particulates. soon regs will be so tight even gas engines will need particulate filters.
heavy goods vehicles will go by different regs but your average car or light truck will be gas only as the cost to make diesels compliant will be too high
>>
>>15872567
Im just saying that hydrogen performs like a normal ICE. You get your cake and eat it too. Your expensive ass cake.
Personal motor vehicles produce far less emessions that trucking, shipling and electricity generation. I just wish the tree huggers would leave muh ICE alone.
>>
>>15872579
>>15872565
California's Air Resource Board (CARB) and Germany, are both thinking about banning new sales of internal combustion engines by 2030.
>>
>>15872576
For light trucks and trucking, but never from trains or ships there is no viable alternative.
>>
>>15872585
Lol, there is no way.
The economy will be crippled.
>>
>>15872588
we can electrify rail and get rid of the diesel trains. a lot of countries have electric only rail.

shipping is a problem. nuclear is too expensive for cargo shipping. would easily triple the crew and would require a lot of expensive nuclear reactor engineers. Then you have port access problems and pirate safety. some cargo shipping are using kite sails to cut fuel consumption while in the open ocean. CNG would take too much of the ship's volume.
>>
>>15872600
don't expect logic from Eco-Weenies.

They're probably Keynesian too. They'll view this as an economic stimulant. Since everyone will have to build and buy all those new electric cars.
>>
>>15872612
In the US it would be expensivley prohibitive to electrify rail. Its just too big.
California spent billions on electric high speed rail, not a single track was laid.
>>
>>15872620
And countries that dont give a fuck about emissions will just continue using cheap fossil fuels, but globalists and the like see that as a benifit im sure.
>>
>>15872620
but keynes was right....
>>
>>15872670
Keynesian economics died in the 70s.
>>
>>15872639
and eco-weenies don't care how much worse for the environment it is to have their iPhone made in China than California.
>>
>>15872676
so the end of everything good and the start of everything bad
>>
>>15872476
No, you don't understand how electric motors work. The speed isn't a gimmick or a specific energy-guzzling feature of that vehicle - electric motors don't operate more efficiently in the same way as ICE. It's certain "hotspots" of engine speed that have best energy usage.

Do some googling before shit posting.
>>
>>15870140
>Personally, I wouldn't until electrics somehow got better than gas cars.

I mean, if you live in suburbia, have a relatively fixed route, and rarely travel beyond going on an adventure to find new shoes, they are already the perfect commuter cars. Unless you have a reason to go to a gas station besides gas. That basically leaves cigarettes and lotto.

Go home, plug in, never waste time getting gas.

If you travel a lot, they are terrible. Even teslas have range issues. That's basically the only thing keeping me from seriously considering EVs. I sometimes have to drive 300 miles a day for work, and most of it's doing 80 because everyone here cruises at a minimum of 75.
>>
>>15870140
Electric will never surpass the mileage to cost of ownership to an actual fuel consumption engine.
>>
>>15872993

It could if the electricity is being produced from a nuclear reactor.
>>
>>15873001
I don't know about you, but I have several reservations about allowing alcoholics, meth-heads, seniors, and teenagers to potentially drive pebble bed reactors around.
>>
>>15872359
>gearing

You don't need gearing (clutch etc) with electric motors because they don't have narrow torque bands like combustion engines. You get max torque from 1 rpm up to top speed, combined with the lack of gears, this is why you get fast 0-60 times but not massive top speeds
>>
>>15873055
electric motors aren't the same efficiency throughout their output range.
if gearboxes didn't add weight and friction evs would have them.
>>
>>15870140
I would buy one if all I did was move about inside town, since that is less than 30 km per day and normal ICE engines can barely reach operating temperature within those distances.
>>
>>15872732
No you dont understand how an electric motor works. Efficiency of a motor depends on its type and quality of construction. Efficient use of energy depends on how much load is placed in the motor, high load senarios such as rapid accelleration or high speeds are less efficient than slow steady accelleration and lower top speeds.

T. Electrician.
>>
>>15873146
Bull shit, I would much prefer to have an electric motor stay at a higher rpm and gear it down than used a variable frequency drive to electrically slow the vehicle constantly. VFDs put strain on motors and the VFD itself. Void couplings (gear boxes) are used all the time in pumping applications.
>>15873055
The reason for the slower maximum top speed is due to the fact that an electric motor has a maximum rpm, maximum torque is present at 0 rpm.
If you want an electric motor to have a hight top speed without designing it to be that way theu must be geared.
>>
File: Off-line-programming-web.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Off-line-programming-web.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>15870140
>lousy ICE to ev conversion
>tail heavy fwd with compromised both the trunk and engine bay space

The only right way is how tesla did it.
The only ICE car platform currently suitable for ev conversion is new twingo/smart. There is huge ass plastic underbody panel on every 3rd gen twingo, hiding empty space for flat battery pack (picrel). Smart electric is already out.
>>
>>15872567
>hydrogen is a meme.
Having hydrogen tanks available is good for bomb makers that want to enhance their bombs with an explosive flame front. If someone is doing a bomb in a tunnel or other enclosed area, that will substantially add to the overpressure.
>>
>>15873760
But youre wrong fampai, tesla was just one way to do it.
>>
Only if they come with a fancy ass range extender, like a rotary or jet turbine. Also 2 doors and 2 seats would be nice
>>
>>15872510
lithium air is probably the next big thing
>>
>>15872365
this, too bad noone is interested in this technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACO-HXvrRz8
>>
File: ford-capacitive-controls.jpg (325KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
ford-capacitive-controls.jpg
325KB, 1632x1224px
>>15870600
I don't get all the touchscreen hate, but the two large ones in the Tesla are kind of garish. One decently large touchscreen for the radio with lots of real tactile controls below is best of both worlds: The entire dash isn't a tablet and you can manipulate things like the climate control and radio without having to stare at it.

In my 2015 Ford Fusion I have this shit and it's fucking hell.
>>
>>15873727
>maximum torque is present at 0 rpm.

I really wish people would stop parroting Top Gear and shitty car reviews. Even DC brushed motors don't make full torque at 0, full amp draw but not full torque.

Tesla's use AC synchronous motors which don't make full torque at 0 rpm. They spin fast as fuck (20k rpm) and use the extreme low gearing to get the torque.

Look at the torque and power charts of a motor ffs, they're not magical torque devices.
>>
>>15872368
Jay Leno did a video with an electric motorcycle, it sounded pretty cool tee b aitch.
>>
I love all the tesla shills that show up in these threads
>>
>>15870584
That's only on a new battery.
As battery is used the range gets reduced gradually.
Batteries must be made to be repairable cheaply, like by changing fuids and rods.
>>
>>15872685
Or their free trade garbanzo beans shipped from musland to california

or what their first class flight does for the environment compared to a road trip
>>
>>15870140
with battery's like that
its a wonder there is any room left for the car
>>15872510
muh lithium cobalt
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.