[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick question please, i dont expect to not get made fun of for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1473656895613.jpg (20KB, 406x536px) Image search: [Google]
1473656895613.jpg
20KB, 406x536px
Quick question please, i dont expect to not get made fun of for not knowing the answer, but atleast take some pitty in knowing that im not a faggot who pays someone else to fix MY car.

I need to replace my fwd front right end CV axle. I have a standard transmission. My question is do i have to have a very specific one to fit my vehicle? More specifically, is there a differance between standard and auto transmission cv axle. And also is there a differance bwteen a left and right cv axle or is it inter-changeable
>>
>>15838980
Specific part: Yes
Auto vs. Manual: Sometimes
Interchangable: Usually not (different lengths)

Would help to know what vehicle, engine and transmission
>>
>>15838980
For almost all cars out there, Yes for all those questions.
>>
>>15839062

Its a 1995 3000gt SE v6 DOC, fwd standard transmission
>>
>>15838980
>slave away all weekend fixing your car
>worry about breaking bolts or not being able to get x bolt off
Vs
>take it to mechanic
>come back half a day later and it's done, freeing you up to do other shit

Why would you do it yourself?
>>
>>15839179

Take some pride in knowing that your car works because you made it work, not because you payed someone to do it for it. The same thing should be applied to lots of things in your life, i dont like things handed to me. Just my opinion.
>>
>>15839179
If you make less than what it'll cost you to have it done you're not saving time.

Now if it's taking a week to do a cv axle just take it in.
>>
>>15839179
More like
>spend 4-5 hours replacing one CV joint at most
>know that it was done right and cost you 50 bucks for the part

VS

>pay $100 to get the mechanic to look at it
>"yeah she needs a new tranny sir"
>you decline, they charge you $150 for the axle plus $300 in labor
>you're now out $550 plus tax, and you don't get your car back until tomorrow, meaning you have to hitch a ride or -gulp- take the bus
>2 weeks later you find they drained your lower ball joints to "check for wear" and you have to replace those now

I can't trust most mechanics to change my oil and not overtighten the drain plug. Why in God's name would I trust them with anything else? And that was an average scenario I described up there. A lot of shops will break something to charge you for it. If you can afford to go to a dealership or whatever and your time is literally worth more than $120+ per hour, then yeah go ahead and do it, but I know so many people who got a "tune up" that cost 700 bucks and was just replacing spark plugs, air filter, oil change and checking for codes with an OBDII scanner.
>>
>>15839224
>hurr durr mechanics only want to fuck you over
Not true. There are plenty of good mechanics out there. You're just a redneck/poorfag that thinks everyone is out to get him.
>>
>>15839254
Nope. There are plenty of good mechanics that still cost money.

Take everything negative out of my example. You're still stuck with over $500 in repairs for something you could have done yourself in a few hours. Are you a rich man? Do you run a business that leaves you with little to no free time? Do you have any reason to spend hundreds of dollars to save yourself a couple hours, and would you do that outside of needing work done on your car? Probably not, so stop being a pussy and learn something AND save money at the same time. It feels good.

FWIW I live in Canada and there are still plenty of devious mechanics here. Not that all mechanics are bad, but most are, and the ones who aren't are still a huge cost to shoulder.
>>
>>15839170
>open Google
>search for generic parts store
>enter year, make, model, engine, and transmission

MI-8037

you're welcome.
>>
>>15839254

Im not even that guy youre talking to but i can tell you ive been fucked over by mechanics more times than not. And i mean that everywhere ive lived throughout the US.

A good amount of mechanics are scum
>>
>>15839290
It would probably take me all weekend to do that. And I might not have all the tools, adding cost.
>>
>>15839406
You buy the tools, you get experience, and next time this happens you have the tools and experience. Also, if it takes you that long to change one CV axle, you'd have to have a crimson pulmonary muscle. I'm sure you can find instructions online! don't waste your money anon.
>>
>>15839406
You could probably get away with doing a CV axle change with just an adjustable wrench. You'll play hell removing the axle nut, but there's no special tools needed.

Unless you need a hex key for your brake caliper.
>>
>>15839625
He hasn't responded. I think he just wanted us to tell him it's OK to spend hundreds of dollars taking it to a mechanic instead of doing it for 50 bucks himself, and gaining experience and tools
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.