[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hell/o/ people, ive got a 1979 Toyota Supra. 4ME EFI engine,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: discoinferno.jpg (797KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
discoinferno.jpg
797KB, 2048x1152px
hell/o/ people, ive got a 1979 Toyota Supra. 4ME EFI engine, bought it 6 years ago from the original owners family after he died. everything original on the car minus spark plugs and battery. thing took a shit after a few months, wouldnt start from no spark, parked it in one of my garages. finally after 5 years of sitting i finally found another 1979 at the junkyard, took the igniter and swapped it out. thing runs again miraculously

idles fine but at 3000rpm it sputters like hell and sounds like i have a 2-step. it barely lets me go past there to the redline. only other thing i swapped out from the no spark was the distributor, i played with the ignition timing today and no matter if i advance it or retard it i still get sputtering

could old gas be doing it? 5 year old 91 octane in it, but i was an automotive mechanic for 6 years and all the time i started cars that sat for years with probably 87 octane and they had no issues. id be thankful if anyone had some other ideas to try, im just happy it actually runs again
>>
bump because we got a trip with one same generation that might help.
Dunno if the toyota general exists anymore, but if it does try there.

Also, just put some octane booster and maybe new gas in you poorfag.
>>
Tomorrow I'm just going to let it run off the old gas and throw some new 91 in it, hopefully that solves it. I'm still astonished it's running again at all. I was ready to gut it for a 2j but didn't want to since it's a low numbers matching January 1979
>>
comfy looking car
>>
Try a new air flow meter.
>>
empty fuel, put in highest octane so the cleaning additives can do their stuff.

do a general service. it's amazing that they never replaced basic service items like dizzy/cap/rotor, ignition coil etc.

do oil obviously,check belts and pulleys for any shitty bearings
>>
>>15810477
>>15809740

This.
My MAF sensor on my Skyline took a shit on my and would idle at ~1500 and not rev over ~2500.
It actually ended up being the harness, but get some cleaner and spray all that shit down. Hardwire it if you have to to test it out then order a new plug.
>>
/o/-My shitty car blog
>>
>>15810598
I too prefer Ecoboost shitposting to actual car discussion
>>
>>15810477
I have a spare one I might try, it worked fine when the car last ran. But yeah it's got 215000km and the wires, cap, rotor etc were factory. It was a 1 owner car driven 4 months of the year. I changed the wires, cap etc when I bought the car then it quit like 400km later. Belts etc are fine, I put new ones on and did the u-joints pm the driveshaft before parking it. I'll try new gas and cleaning the air meter box and report back tomorrow.
>>
File: 1461612612403.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1461612612403.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>15810612
>>
plugged-up cat
>>
>>15809740
I would be suspicious of anything older than one year gas. Or if youre in a place that goes through big temp/humidity changes as the seasons change I would change the gas. Then do an Italian tune up and see how she runs after
>>
>>15813613
Not him but what is an Italian tune up
>>
>>15814034
warm it up, then do a pull through the gears at near/redline
>>
>>15814054
Burns off excess carbon in the cylinders
>>
File: 20160913_210506.jpg (3MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_210506.jpg
3MB, 2976x2976px
>>15809740
Get the factory service manual, and start troubleshooting. There are no shortcuts for this. You want the car running? Make it happen. You can start by getting the exhaust tested for rich or lean running, doing a compression and leakdown test, using a proper timing light, and double-checking that all your vacuum connections are leak-free. Also, get and use a proper multimeter when testing your electrics.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.