[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do lights turned on have noticable impact on cars performance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: ultimatedrivingmachine.jpg (43KB, 799x597px) Image search: [Google]
ultimatedrivingmachine.jpg
43KB, 799x597px
Do lights turned on have noticable impact on cars performance? Would it be possible to see difference in performance between lights off, low beams on, and everything on like pic related?
>>
In an electric car it might affect range.
>>
>>15796719
if you use your high beam switch to activate nitrous, then yes
>>
>>15796719

Absolutely. The extra load on the alternator will cause at least a 10% drop in HP.

I only switch on my lights when I'm driving out in the country late at night and there's absolutely no other light source. Rarely turn them on in the city.
>>
In older cars you sometimes have to upgrade the alternator to even use LEDs or modern sound systems. I have a Skyline and the stock alternator on RB engines is only like 75amps lol. The common workaround is to drill a hole into an alternator from a Nissan Quest or large truck so you can bolt it on and have over 100amps to play with while still charginf your battery when the car is running.
>>
>>15796747
>400hp, lights on, 40hp loss.

Nice one Nigel, but it's wrong.
>>
>>15796833
Maye not as much but when you think about it, ac and cd player have significant impact on fuel economy. It must take some power to run ac, radio, full lights and fog lights. While it doesnt mater in 400hp car i think one could see difference in 100hp car.
>>
>>15796887
>100hp
>""""""""car""""""""
>>
>>15796750
>Upgrade the alternator to use LEDs
>LEDs use much much less power than traditional bulbs
>>
when my alternator died on my dodge stealth the turn signals would kill the car... it had such low voltage everytime the turn signal ticked on all the gauges drop to zero and the motor started missing
>>
>>15796887
ac runs off its own compressor, not the alternator.

The loss in fuel economy comes from the voltage drop and the current draw, its not like the alternator is robbing performance, the larger draw causes weaker spark from the coil, the fuel pump and any other electrical systems related to the vehicles performance.

It's not so much in mechanical injected and old diesels, however it causes misfires.

In modern cars, full current draw will see the ecu retard the timing, everything connected to the ecu has a voltage range to operate, and when it falls out of range due to huge draw on the alternator, the ecu compensates, and runs the engine rich, using more fuel.

There obviously is a loss for actually having an alternator, but it's a linear loss due to a belt being driven off the crank, and it's small as the actual rotor assembly has very low resistance, and spins freely within the windings.
>>
>>15796925
I'd like to see you keep your lights from dimming when running a functioning a/c while your girlfriend has her cell phone plugged into a shitty jvc head unit to simultaneously charge and play youtube music videos through the speakers every friday night all on a stock RB.

Did I forget to mention Mishimoto fans?
>>
File: alternator_highpower_coolcase.jpg (24KB, 368x276px) Image search: [Google]
alternator_highpower_coolcase.jpg
24KB, 368x276px
>>15796968
>I'd like to see you keep your lights from dimming
Make sure you have a big enough alternator installed to supply power for your GF's devices. If it's big, it is probably vented like the Coolcase series.
>>
>>15796719

Not with stock lights. If you run 1500+ watts (2hp) of rigid LED's on a 100hp engine your definitely going to feel a loss in performance similar to having the AC on.
>>
Gasoline has a a huge amount of energy for it's weight. The energy density is enormous.

Think of how many kilowatt hours of energy your house uses a day. Your car would make 100 KW at least. It takes a huge amount of energy to make a 1 or 2 tonne car move from a standstill. And they way retards drive these days people are on the brakes all the time and stop and go all the time. Wasting energy and barely using much of their engine's potential ever, except when taking off like a lunatic after slamming on the brakes unnecessarily.

ICEs that people use nowadays are incredibly powerful. Electric cars can't come close without fuckhuge battery packs.

Headlights are practically nothing. How much fuel would that use, a few MLs? The heater is free energy too, since it would be wasted as heat anyway.

TL;DR
Petroleum is incredibly energy dense, the amount of fuel headlights use can barely be noticed.

But it will drain your battery pretty quick if you leave them on
>>
>>15797586
>>15797542
With 1500 watts of non-normal load, you'd have a 2nd alternator in that vehicle.
>>
>>15796719
you go faster with lowbeams
>>
>>15796747
Enjoy being in an accident by not having your lights on
>>
>>15798251
The reason why you didn't get the joke is how dumb you are
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.