[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a "redpill" for autos? My dad is what most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Big-Three-Muscle-Cars[1].jpg (121KB, 536x328px) Image search: [Google]
Big-Three-Muscle-Cars[1].jpg
121KB, 536x328px
Is there a "redpill" for autos? My dad is what most would call a car guy. He's not a car mechanic by trade (HVAC) but he can fix/modify/do most "car stuff", and my mom is also quite knowledgable. Growing up, we've always had domestic, exclusively GM actually. I've heard all the pejorative FORD acronyms, been told chrysler is junk, and while foreign cars, such as toyota and honda, are generally regarded as reliable, they too are junky but also expensive to fix. Also, nothing over 100k miles, ever.

I just want to know the truth.
>>
>>15796177
These things you've mentioned are a mix of brand loyalty and general rule of thumb stuff.

>never buy a FRAM filter
>a dealership is always out to rip you off
>don't buy frivolous and superfluous shit warranties extra from the dealership
the extra warranty shit is really stupid, had a warranty expert tell me that the blood of the bugs that hit my car is acidic enough to rip up my clear coat.
>>
Maintenance history is a bigger factor than mileage.

GM can into engines, but not into interior quality (generally).

Ford seems to be doing pretty well these days.

Chrysler (or FCA) still can't into reliability or interior quality, but they're fucking crazy so they have a couple of gems every now and then.

Parts for Japanese cars aren't expensive anymore these days, although their interiors can feel a bit cheap.

German cars aren't a great idea in the US, but if you really must have German get a BMW or non-Chrysler era Mercedes. Avoid VW and Audi.
>>
They're right that Chrysler is junk but so is GM. Ford was good before they started using dct automatics in their cars. Japanese cars are known to be more reliable they're really not expensive to fix although it depends on which car. Good cars should last a lot more than 100k miles
>>
>>15796199
whats wrong with VW and Audi
>>
Brand loyalty or country loyalty is the worst
>>
>>15796206
Reliability went downhill hard after 2000 or so, they tend to be a bitch to work on and parts are expensive.

Pre-2000 are usually fine, but they're old enough to suffer from typical "old car problems" now too.
>>
>>15796199
This guy gets it. The "100,000 mile car is junk" thing is a meme.
>>
>>15796219
I was thinking about getting a Golf GTI because I liked the way they drive and shit. Are they really that bad? I see tons of people with Golf GTI's
>>
>>15796219
>old car problems

Obviously, those are a thing right? I hear some saying that maintenance matters more than mileage, but does it matter more than age?
>>
>>15796232
Things just degrade over time, so you'll have to keep that in mind.
A good maintenance history usually means those failure-prone parts have been replaced though.
>>
>>15796232
the 100k miles thing is purely an estimate of a car's age however it does not reflect condition or performance. Generally cars in the 100k range have seen their day, make sure you look over them for things like rust obviously. Some drivers don't do long term maintenance like changing brake fluid or (less commonly) change their tranny fluid

make sure the engine sounds good, tranny sounds good, make sure the car shifts and everything.

Its purely an age metric nothing really else. Obviously most people shy away from 100k mile cars for these reasons but its not to say that a car is automatically in bad condition when an owner could have taken care of it very well
>>
>>15796229
Just because many people buy something doesn't automatically mean it's good, but you'll probably be fine if you maintain your car like a German would.
Also don't take your car to the stealership for every little fix because they jew you for everything.
>>
>>15796265
I get that, I don't go to the dealership for repair unless I know specifically its under warranty

Thats pretty good then, What exactly does "take care of it like a german" mean?
>>
>>15796279
Follow the suggested maintenance schedule exactly.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.