[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I got a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS for about a $1000 (no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

So I got a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS for about a $1000 (nothing wrong with it, person selling was family friend). It's completely stock and in good condition. I've taken it off road and i'm pretty impressed so far. I want to outfit it though. So far I found complete Old Man Emu lift kits for it (http://www.rocky-road.com/mitsubishi-montero-lift-kit.html) Not sure about front bumpers and fog lights etc.. If you've owned one of these SUV's or you know anything about this any info would be helpful.

pic related is just a someone else's I found on the internet. Not sure if i'd ever go this far, but cool regardless.
>>
>>15795402

>dat pic
>tfw your SUV cost x2 what your house does

Having grown up in a trailer park I couldn't believe how many fellow poorfags could have owned a house if they didn't lease an expensive ass car or pour all of their money and welfare into a shitty Camaro that could barely leave their drive way.

I bet that thing smells like cigarettes, cat piss, cheap cologne, and the tears of the owner's 3 illegitimate children.
>>
File: IMAG0544.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0544.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
Not that >>15795562

P R O J E C T I N G
>>
>>15795402

I'd say get it caught up on maintenance first, ie baseline the fluids (front and rear diff, t-case, transmission, grease any zerks on the driveshaft), confirm t-belt has been done. Look for worn bushings on the suspension control arms.

The earl year XLS is both advantaged and disadvantaged in that it uses a simple aisin 4spd auto and manually shifted part time transfer case rather than the more versatile super-select that is solenoid controlled. The 5spd on Limiteds (and newer XLS) is very particular about fluid (Diaqueen SPIII), your aisin should be fine with any good quality ATF of the correct type.

Only once all of this is done should you move on to lifts and other fun stuff IMO.
>>
File: DSC_0135.jpg (282KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0135.jpg
282KB, 1280x720px
>>15795933
>manually shifted part time transfer case
Different anon ere, did they? At least in my market the NM from 2000 was always an electronically shifted transfer case.
>>15795402
OME is as good a quality as you can get, although there are decent budget options available. My father who also happens to have an NM has recently fitted Iron Man 2" increased springs and foam cell shocks that are a decent price point. While my old NL has an ancient OME setup since I bought it that's in need of replacement. While I'd prefer to replace it with new OME gear, I'll probably save some coin and go with Ironman or Raw branded stuff all round.
\
Having said that, I have a suspicion Ironman is Australian specific.
>>
File: MonteroXLSpartTime.jpg (55KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
MonteroXLSpartTime.jpg
55KB, 400x266px
>>15797088

I could be wrong, but it looks like a manual j-pattern lever with a boot. Of course that could just actuate solenoids, I'm not exactly sure. Limiteds got the plasticky straight forward and back pseudo-shifter for the SuperSelect system.
>>
>>15797088
>>15797164

This thread seems to confirm the manual nature of that part time shifter:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137924-Montero-Gen-3-XLS-opinions
>>
File: DSC_0021.jpg (531KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0021.jpg
531KB, 1280x720px
>>15797164
Ah, you're right. That's definitely the same shifter from the earlier second Gen. I know our market specific early NMs maintained the older mechanical 2.8 4M40 in the first couple years before the DiD 3.2 was released in 2002, but I was too under the impression these 2.8s still had the electronic shifter. I'll see what I can dig up.
From what I can see, all our V6 petrol 6Gs had the 5 speed and electronic shifter from 2000.
The more you know.
>>
File: 2.great.jpg (40KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
2.great.jpg
40KB, 640x360px
>>15797403
Ah, even our early 2.8 NM had the electronic box.
Goes to show how many different variations of global vehicles there are.
>>15795402
Also, if you're still around, what market are you in? Are you after a steel or aluminium bar, or what ever's available? My father's NM has a factory alloy bar, while the 4th gen NT we've recently acquired has an ARB steel winch bar. ARB makes plenty of stuff for these.
>>
>>15797446
Whatever's available, the car's already heavy so I don't know if going with aluminum would really help me out much.
>>
>>15799004
Absolutely. I'd imagine the biggest benefit of aluminium would be if you were top cop an off centre shunt, the alloy bar would absorb most of the force instead of transferring it onto the chassis. Although that would mean it'd be more likely to fold back into a headlight and quarter panel...

If you're in the US, I imagine ARB would be your best bet. I know they manufacture bars for every generation of Pajero/Montero elsewhere in the world.
http://www.arbusa.com/Vehicle/2002-mitsubishi-montero-nm.aspx
I'm sure companies like TJM make one too.
>>
>>15799607
Do you think I should also move up to 33" wheels, any recommendations on brands?
>>
>>15801293

Honestly dude, unless it's a hardcore wheeling rig, I'd keep the tire size more modest. Just get some 265/75R16 (32" ish) A/T tires. I've ridden in a Gen III Montero with the HD version of the OME 2 inch lift and load range E Duratracs. It was really noisy and rough riding for the street, but I guess it's all relative for different people.
>>
>>15801365
Yeah I want to at least balance it somewhat so its not unpleasant to every day drive
>>
>>15801492

Definitely stick with 265/70R16 then, and with a softer P-rated all terrain. Maybe Cooper AT3 or Dueler Revo 2?
>>
>>15801555
Thanks for the advice, do you think I should even consider a snorkel at this point, or wait a while.
>>
>>15801721

Wait. I think it's easy to get caught up in the aesthetics and sik mawdz, I'd say wheel it a bit more and take some trips to start understanding what it needs and what is superfluous. Will save you a lot of money and unnecessary weight.
>>
>>15801918
Yeah I think all I need is the lift, those wheels you recommended and the new bumper.
>>
>>15801721
Honestly, not really. Unless you think there's a really good chance you'll be coming across water crossings. They're cheap assurance if you need it, but an expensive non essential if you don't. I'd be spending the money on servicing, maintaining and getting on top of anything that may be wayward, and as the other dude said, get out there and wheel it then see what you think it needs. My money would be going toward appropriate tyres an suspension first up. And body protection like the previously mentioned bar is a good bet too.

There's plenty of decent, cheap eBay snorkels though if you go that way. "Safari" branding isn't that essential.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.