[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fugg dudes my new insurance company sent me these "snapshot"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 41

File: vtec just kicked in.jpg (72KB, 669x669px) Image search: [Google]
vtec just kicked in.jpg
72KB, 669x669px
fugg dudes

my new insurance company sent me these "snapshot" things that monitor my driving

they REQUIRE that I use them. No hektik skids for UP TO SIX MONTHS.

hold me /o/
>>
Anyone know how to cheat these things?
>>
>>15765825
What the fuck

Switch plans, that's a fucking retarded policy.
>>
>>15765842
It's an absolutely insane price discount though. I'be got 2 bad choices :/
>>
>Had progressive snapshop shortly after it came out
>Promises of great discounts
>No driving between 11pm-6am
>Monitored acceleration/braking
>Who knows what all it monitored
>After two months I see a $12 decrease
>Not real impressed but whatever
>One day driving along coming back from a concert
>11:30pm or so
>Drunk driver in front of me just piles on the brakes at 55mph
>So do I, nearly a dead stop
>Guy gets out and starts puking
>Drive around

Received a letter stating I drove during potentially dangerous hours and exhibited dangerous driving or something like that.
>$18 dollar increase

It's a scam OP.

It wasn't worth the trouble.
>>
>>15765825

what is it? can you send a pic??
>>
>>15765825
there's nothing to stop you from removing it? My friend has one of these and he keeps it removed, only plugs it in once a week, otherwise he get's emails that it's disconnected and his rate will increase. plug it in on sundays only, take a slow cruise, then unplug it and leave it in the dash.
>>
>>15765870
It's not worth it for the discount. They will be able to build a profile on you about your driving habits and most likely other insurance companies will have access to it. So your rates will be determined for the profile that they have on you.
>>
>>15765825
screw that. drop your insurance, thats just an excuse for them to spy on you and take more money. or get an old car with no obd2 port
>>
>>15765870
That's probably a best-case scenario discount. They'll bump your rates right up after the first month.
>>
File: 1465515015928.gif (2MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1465515015928.gif
2MB, 250x141px
>letting an insurance company monitor your driving habits by putting something on your car

You might as well just let them have sex with your wife too.
>>
>>15766236
Odd. I'm with Cooperators, and it's right in the contract that they cannot use that information to up your rates, nor will they submit it to authorities unless court ordered (since it tracks speed, and where the speed was recorded). There's up to 25percent you can get discounted, so far I have perfect ratings for night/distance driving, and OK ratings for braking and acceleration (maybe 10-12 "events" per month) and I've been getting the full 25percent for a year and a half now. 25percent is about 350 bucks a year, so a little under 30/month discount I guess?

Sounds like your provider is just a jew.

Not saying all companies won't eventually become like that, but.. Given my situation, yours is hard to believe. I'd get to shopping if they're that strict, but it feels like other things are happening.

Also they can't renegotiate in the middle of a term, can they? Don't they have to wait for renewal? Mine does..
>>
>>15765825
It shouldn't be too hard just to yank the fucker out and sit it on your desk right?

r-right?
>>
>>15765825
>my new insurance company sent me these "snapshot" things that monitor my driving

It plugs into the OBD2 socket so it has access to all the data which is quite a lot. It cannot be faked since it also reads the VIN number of the car and also has GPS in it. The unit phones home at least daily using cellular. You see some discussions about drivers being monitored by phone-home devices in the following two threads:

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell#p15461808

https://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15404045

Progressive considers the most important thing to be panic braking. That shows you are not paying attention to the road AND you also get into situations of near collision. Other users have tried the program and basically 100% say it jews you and do not recommend it.

The one person who actually completed the program and got a discount only received $1 discount. Progressive used technicalities to remove all the real discounts while still awarding the user a big percentage discount in order to look good for future promotions. It was basically "Congratulations you have a 12% discount for participating" so now progressive can use that fact without being called a liar. And also that person received "Due to rate adjustments, you have a 11.9% rate increase" which ended up with the person getting a $1 discount. SO no lie. Progressive gave 12% discount AND the user had a net rate discount. All true but not really true. For everyone else, their rates went up. Big Brother is only working for those trying to jew you.
>>
>>15765825
A quick google showed a leddit post where somebody figured out how to cheat it. I know it's reddit, but this is actually useful in this case, and I didn't see it anywhere else.

reddit.com/r/hacking/comments/2bjo0k/hacking_the_progressive_snapshot_obdii_device_for/

What >>15766683 said about the technicalities seems to be right, as I've seen that mentioned a couple times.
>>
>>15766370
>They will be able to build a profile on you about your driving habits and most likely other insurance companies will have access to it. So your rates will be determined for the profile that they have on you
that is literally the whole point
>>
what i did and what i found works best is to go to an insurance agent in person and have them set your shit up for you

as an auto enthusiest you should be looking forward to the oppertunity to do car related shit
>>
File: Reading comprehension.jpg (15KB, 184x268px) Image search: [Google]
Reading comprehension.jpg
15KB, 184x268px
>>15766236
>When the roads are emptiest and safest
>>
>>15765835
Theoretically you can mess with the accelerometer in them.Pretty sure they have some safeguards against hacks tho.
>>
>>15765835
Yes. Google it.
>>
Put it in your mom's car
>>
>>15767132
>Nothing but drunks criminals and cops and night workers
>>
File: 1470239552214.png (142KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1470239552214.png
142KB, 292x257px
>>15765870
Unsolder the accelerometer from the device then install it on the car, done.
>>
>>15765870
You're ruining it for everyone, faggot.

If you take the money, all insurance companies will demand this and there will be no escape.
Step up and be a fucking man and tell them to eat a bag of dicks.
>>
>>15766236
we have things like that in the UK but they stay in your car throughout the length of the insurance
They're usually pretty good and don't give a shit if it's a once in a blue moon thing like the very occasional late night drive and hard braking

I used one when I was learning to drive and for my first year of driving on my mum's car because it was almost £300 cheaper than the cheapest one that didn't come with a tracker

When I got my car it was MORE expensive to get a tracker, so I didn't bother
>>
>>15766236
my employer has these things on their cars and always give you bad boy points for braking too hard, but it makes no sense because you don't brake hard just because you feel like it, you do it because some dumb retard makes you 99% of cases, unless you're the kind of aggressive driver that is always on the gas in low visibility areas
>>
>>15765825
Fucker, turn 360 degrees and walk away from them. They rely on you for money, show them how much they fucked up with your wallet.
>>
>>15765825
Wait, are you on Progressive?
If so, FUCKING LEAVE
Those little shits fry your electrics, if you give half a shit about your car, cancel the plan.
>>
@15768563
< Turn 360 degrees and walk away
Are you fucking retarded? Holy shit
>>
What happens when you track with one of these on
>>
>>15768562
The insurance company only uses these sensors or Onstar as a legal excuse to bump up your rates. If they simply raise your rates without a reason, the state insurance commissioner will fine them and might even request the state courts to order a max insurance rate.

The reason why states have insurance commissioners is to prevent insurance companies from colluding with each other to do price fixing. If they did so, all the companies could raise their rates together. Thus no consumer could escape the artificially high insurance rates. Instead, companies use various tactics to circumvent the insurance commissioner to raise rates.

Right now, various companies will accept Onstar data as it is more thorough than Progressive's tracking sensor. Onstar even records when you make turns without using the turn signal or if you weave in your lane. My Onstar car knows if I am driving on the pavement line markers and can even nudge my steering wheel to keep me driving more centered in the lane. The problem I have is that it is always phoning home if I weave or not. I can see the insurance company would like to know if my GPS showed I was near a bar at 10PM and am now driving home while WEAVING in the lane. That is not proof of drunk driving, but pretty close to it.

Right now, privacy laws prevent Onstar from releasing my name along with the driving data. But Onstar has passed driving data to various companies and then given me names of 5 different insurance companies with lower insurance rates than the one I have now. How does Onstar even know my company and rate? Well, when buying the new car, I had to show proof of insurance. Boom, right there they have it.

Keep your eyes out for privacy law changes and fight them. If congress gives in to insurance lobbyists, your own car will inform insurance companies of your driving habits and where you go. It was a bit scary seeing those other unsolicited insurance offers appear thru Onstar.
>>
>>15768545
>If you take the money, all insurance companies will demand this and there will be no escape.

Most cars already have "phone home" systems built into them. GM's Onstar is only the most famous one, but other car brands already have their own subscription services. So the ability for insurance companies to get the data from you already exists. All that stops them from continually using the car's insurance policy (with primary driver's name) and the car's reported VIN is the privacy law that prevents AUTOMATED name attachment. You can still go online and surrender your privacy by accepting the offer from companies though.

Naturally, they don't word it as surrendering privacy. They also don't offer any forms that allow you to rescind, so once you give it up, you cannot have it back unless with a lawsuit to force them to make a rescind form available.
>>
>>15769042
Onstar recently offered to its new car buyers a discount insurance program from Progressive. The insurance company would use the data recorded by Onstar to calculate lower insurance rates for the customer. Onstar had a signup webpage which had the user sign away their privacy restriction to keep Onstar from handing out the car owner's name attached to the driving records. There is no form for revoking permissions for future disclosures. But once your basic data is out there, it remains out there.
>>
>>15768526
>insurance companies telling you when you can drive
l o l nigga I work alternating day and swing shifts, good luck getting me to go for that one.
>>
>>15768704
Kek
Definitely copying this post at some point
>>
>>15769042
Can't you just unplug them from the trunk? There's usually a fat blob module on the left side of the trunk that you can just take out.
>>
>>15766662
And lose your discount
>>
>>15765825
It plugs into you obd plug correct? So its just like a dashhawk or cobb ap. Its just logging all your pids. Unplug it when you want to hoon, plug it in when you drive like a granny. It should be no problem.
>>
My car doesn't speak OBD. I'm safe from this shit, right? Or is it a legitimate concern that insurance companies could refuse to cover any 06+ vehicle without one of these things?
>>
>>15770109
Onstar uses cellular so all you'd do is reduce the range. The unit is integrated with the car computer under the dash. You cannot really disable it unless you do surgery on my car computer's board. Doing that will trigger the dealer examination of the computer of course if you ever use the dealer for warranty work. If he sees the computer is hacked, all warranties are cancelled. The contract with the new car also stipulates I don't do certain things to the car in order to keep my new car warranties active.
>>
>>15770262
Oh, my cars like 10+ years old. I don't think they give a fuck about me ripping the Onstar shit out. It probably doesn't work anyways if it's analog, it's got a red light 24/7 on.
>>
>required

well, I'm glad my car has no bullshit electronics
>>
>>15766236
>$18 dollar increase

Yep, no. Progressive doesn't issue rate increases based on data from Snapshot. Even if they did, it wouldn't be because of one incident.
>>
File: australian_crash_test_pepe.png (1019KB, 1075x815px) Image search: [Google]
australian_crash_test_pepe.png
1019KB, 1075x815px
>>15770294
>when you're actually glad to have OBDI
>>
File: cyndaquil.jpg (31KB, 300x228px) Image search: [Google]
cyndaquil.jpg
31KB, 300x228px
>OBD-II started with '96 models.
>Drive a '95

I do.
>>
>>15765825
You can't put it on a different car?
>>
>>15770587
>You can't put it on a different car?
The OBD2 has all the data on the car. It also puts the VIN on there. SO of course the progressive or other insurance company monitors will know what VIN they are attached to.
>>
File: 1472403383418.jpg (46KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
1472403383418.jpg
46KB, 500x326px
>insurance is legally allowed to spy you
>land of the """""""free""""""
>>
>>15768308
This. Why can't you do this?
>>
File: JJJ.jpg (19KB, 619x320px) Image search: [Google]
JJJ.jpg
19KB, 619x320px
>mfw my car is 27 years old, and the computer in it can't give out such readings.

When I signed up for insurance as a 21 year old college student, they asked me a bunch of questions on the phone such as

"Is your shit stock?"
>yes

$69 a month, niggas
>>
>>15766236

>braking and not hitting an object is dangerous driving

jesus
>>
>>15770758
Not yet. It is close, but not yet. The car manufacturers that run the wireless services such as Onstar are still prohibited by privacy law of attaching your name to the data.

Currently, Onstar is legally able to share the driving data (without your name) to insurance companies. It did so in my case and five insurance companies offered lower rates than my current company gives me. Since those five companies don't have my name, they had to give the offer to Onstar which then passed the offers to me.

It doesn't take much brains to realize that since most new cars have the ability to wirelessly send data back built-into the cars already, all the insurance companies need to do is lobby Congress to make a privacy rules exemption to allow the name or VIN to be provided with the driving data. The usual cookie-cutter generic lobbying reasons of better insurance rates thru accuracy, for the children, or provides more jobs can be used. Plus some bribes under the table such as sinecure high wage jobs for the politician's family members and up to X number of friends picked by that politician can be arranged. Or donations can be made to that politician's own version of "The Clinton Foundation" which is a technically legal way to provide bribes.

It is up to the public to resist Congress removing the privacy of VIN or driver names from the driving data the cars send back. GM has already admitted that even those who don't subscribe to Onstar do have data sent back.

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell
>>
>>15765825
>absurd speed limits where I live
>uninhabited stretches of road through the mountains
>speed limit is 35MPH at best
>I usually take the turns doing at 60 and car still feels completely settled
>I got bored and took my truck out there and started getting hektik on turns and still was completely fine
I would never use a program like that regardless of the discount.
>>
>>15770201
obd 2 has been around since the early 90s
>>
>>15771868
>I would never use a program like that regardless of the discount.

If the lobbyists get Congress to vote an exemption (aka loophole) in the privacy law for insurance companies and car companies, then you have no choice. The data would be sent to the insurance companies just as a lot of other data already is when obtained by other sources such as service shops, tire centers, police ticket, battery installation shops, dealers, and even your biannual emissions inspection.
>>
>>15771912
Things like ACTA and SOPA were stopped by public backlash. So the politicians do sometimes listen to the voters.
>>
>>15771917
The GM computer would set the car into "Limp Home Mode" if you did that. It also reports by cellular when sensors are malfunctioning. It's also illegal to drive without odometer when you disconnect speedo at tranny. Onstar would document the transgression and the GPS locations the car was moving. Given the time and distance, the Onstar, government, and insurance reviewing the data could calculate your speed of travel.

Since my car is new, prolonged driving like that would provide enough documentation for GM to revoke my warranty due to deliberate driver negligence. It would be impossible to claim I didn't know since multiple indicators would be glowing angry red on my dash and the car is in reduced power (limp home) mode.

The problem about computers is that they make Big Brother impossible to avoid when they are such an integral part of the car.
>>
>>15768547
>once in a blue moon late night driving

What the fuck man it's your fucking car, why the fuck is some jew dictating when you can and can't use it.

Fuck it's because people eat this shit up that they get away with it.
>>
>>15771962
Then don't buy a fucking gaystar jew car idiot.

>you're telling me that I have the privilege of paying to have some one monitor me?
>>
>>15771988

I think giving up your freedom like that is pretty disgusting. People that enroll in these programs should be shipped off to a communist shithole like the UK or Europe.
>>
>>15771993
pretty sure every newer GM has it so you're fucked unless you want to stick with old shitboxes
>>
Man, both 1984 and Brave New World are becoming a reality at the same time.

Considering this and the fact that shillary might win i might as well fuck off to japan or New Zealand instead of the US. I mean, i like the american lifestyle and shit, but NZ is arguably the best place for car enthusiasts and japan is... Japan.

At least in NZ insurance its not mandatory
>>
>>15772114
Shillary won't be any kind of drastic end of the world but if she goes through with illegal immigrant amnesty or some shit like that we will effectively have democratic supermajority until the end of the nation. If people get mad enough at policies enacted there could be secession, and then we have a new start and another 250 years for it to go to shit. US will be fine, it might be US/2 within a few decades at worst.
>>
>>15772128
>end of the world

No shit she wont make the end of the world anon, but she can (and most likely will) enforce stupid shit and force everyone to get used to this stupid shit so that nobody complains about it and everyone accepts it.

Its still quite stupid to me that in this world, filled with criminals, wars, and tyrants, The US, one of the very few countries in the world where the common citizen can still arm itself whenever they want, their own citizens demand the US to remove what makes it stand up compared to the rest of the world.

It only takes for the people to do nothing when she tries to pass shitty laws that work around what the amendment was made to stop, and have people used to it, to send the US down a shit hole.

That's what i fear about democrats. Slippery slope its fucking real. It didn't looked real at first, but "what we tolerate today our childrens will embrace tommorrow" doesn't look so much a /pol/ motto against odd things and more of a social law.
>>
>>15772114
>nz
>trolling on Facebook is literally illegal
Poor choice.
>>
>>15772163
I am not big into social networks, but car-related shit in NZ is literally the best in the world

>good roads
>tougays everywhere
>not forced to take insurance
>little to no import car tax
>no prohibition on car imports at all
>little to no regulations on car
>everything is fucking cheap
>>
>>15772176

Almost $2 a liter for gas....

Yeah fuck that m8. I bet you all drive .9l clown cars like your retarded Australian brothers. Kinda pointless having "sick car culture brah" when everybody is too poor to afford a proper car.
>>
>>15772206
I aint NZ. I live in a place where a liter of fuel its 1 buck, but trust me, upkeep aint got shit on a place where freedom is law.
>>
>>15771462
>27 year old car
>$69/Mo.
Unless you got a fucking Porsche you're still getting jipped
>>
>>15772291
I wasn't expecting to get under $100 with a mustang.
>>
>>15772412
>mustang
that makes sense. I don't know if you are aware, but mustang drivers are notoriously shitty drivers and get into accidents frequently.
>tfw I know one guy who drives a 2013 mustang
>he walked in to a friend's house and bragged about how he got airtime b/c he drove off a curb leaving a CVS parking lot
>>
>>15768704
being this new
>>
>>15765870
Statistically they end up charging more to the average user.
>>
File: 1469419446425.png (428KB, 573x768px) Image search: [Google]
1469419446425.png
428KB, 573x768px
>>15768704
Found the 9 year old retard who got on the interweb.
>>
I FUCKING TRIED TO WARN YOU NIGGERS ABOUT THIS TWO YEARS AGO WHEN IT FIRST STARTED POPPING UP, BUT NAHHHHH, I WAS TOLD BY YOU FUCKERS IT WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, NOW YA'LL IN HEAR BITCHING ABOUT BIG BROTHER

STUPID FAGGOTS
>>
File: 1472134629109.jpg (22KB, 346x331px) Image search: [Google]
1472134629109.jpg
22KB, 346x331px
>>15765825
What happens if you're required to put it on a car that you take to the track or autocross occasionally?
>>
>>15772669
Why would you be dd'ing a car you track? Are you a fucking moron?
>>
>>15772766
Are you a fucking peon?
>>
>>15772766
>"Anon you have 2 cars that are registered and we are requiring you to put this device on both of them"
>>
>>15772775
Nope,but it's painfully apparent you are due to you being so fucking stupid as to add a track car or take your dad autocrossing you fucking moron
>>
>>15772784
Yeah, except they don't do that, an insurance company is not your local government, and if this would be the case tell them you only have one car and get liability for the track queen from another company, or just say fuck you and go with another company
>>
>>15772796
I wouldn't know that, I don't have progressive.
>>
>>15772176
>>15772206
I live in nz, shit like gas may cost a bit more but he's right we've got it so good here.
It's not hard to own a decent car. Cars need a wof safety check and you have to certify some mods but it keeps the shitters and stancefags off the roads. I still have insurance though I'd rather not be paying off some merc for years if I fucked up somehow.
>>
>>15772832
I am also a /k/ommando. How's gun ownership and internet speed around there?
>>
>>15772812
I do,but I never got cucked into getting that shitty tracker, mother fuckers are complaining about a voluntary thing, especially a tracker, expecting nothing bad to happen
>>
>>15772859
Yeah... we're great for cars but guns are a lot trickier to own here. I don't know a lot, but they do background checks and the guns have to be registered and kept in a safe I'm pretty sure.
Internet used to be shit but it's gotten a lot better and fibre is being rolled out now.
>>
>>15772432
>HURR ONLY ONE KIND OF PERSON CAN DRIVE A CAR
I also have an '89, maybe foxes tend to attract a less retarded demographic but there are going to be sensible and retarded owners of any popular car.
>>
>insurance companies require you to install trackers to eliminate any financial risk on their part
>rates increase if you brake hard, regardless of reason, drive at "dangerous hours", drive on "dangerous roads" and a dozen illegitimate reasons more
>autonomous driving is becoming a reality
>battery cars are becoming a reality against all logic and reason
>"enthusiasts" shill 5000lbs cars as the height of car design
>4 cylinder Mustangs aren't just tolerated, but actively recommended by "enthusiasts"
>a 180bhp Fiesta is the motorist world's favourite car
>at the same time the Toyobaru is being shat on for not having high low end torque
>my generation doesn't give a single shit about cars
>the government treats drivers like public enemies

The age of the automobile is coming to an end, and just in time for when I get my degree in automotive engineering. Study something you're interested in they said, turn your hobby into your profession they said.
>>
>>15772065
Dont buy GM
Wew that was hard
>>
File: 1376610100955.jpg (88KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1376610100955.jpg
88KB, 300x300px
>>15773215
if you dont like the fiesta and focus st you can just fuck right on off with your shit taste m8
>>
>>15773227
Don't you have to ferry your wives children to school? You're lucky she allows you to drive a hot hatch, others have to drive minivans.
>>
>>15768526
>Living in a metropolitan area
>>
>>15773227
>accelerating to the speed limit as fast as possible is spirited driving
Kys
>>
>>15766236
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anon they probably removed your discount it your rate shouldnt have increased. i found out starting your car after midnight also flags in and its 12-4am not 11-6 unless they changes it and your not supposed to go over 30 miles but yyou can skew averages by going on
>>
>tfw work requires me to drive between 11 and 6 almost every week
Thank god there's none of this bullshit in my country yet.
>>
>>15766795
Yes

>going 65 in that 60 is unsafe, citizen
>you are a high risk driver
>'everyone else is going 65'
>we don't give a fuck, higher speeds mean more damage mean more expensive claims
>>
>>15772669
>What happens if you're required to put it on a car that you take to the track or autocross occasionally?

If you signed up to use Onstar tracking to get an insurance discount (yes, that plan is available now), then you'd be stupid to go on a track. All those sudden accelerations AND sudden brakes along with traction control with wheels making sharp turns (yes, turn amounts are tracked). would prove you are racing.

Insurance policies do not cover racing. At least mine says NO. I bet most insurance policies also don't cover damages from racing. So you'd be stupid to have any tracking while autocrossing. Not only would the statistics created cause your insurance rate to go up, it would prove you are racing. They can always use "stress damage from racing" to try to disqualify damage in the future. Or suddenly reveal that your policy was cancelled and reduced to minimum legal liability required by the state if they continue to accept your payments despite the main terms of the policy being violated and cancelled. It's one of those cases where your policy doesn't actually say what coverage you have because at that point the state law takes over and specifies the minimum liability the company is still obligated to cover you despite you the policy holder violating the terms of the contract. Those terms are individual to each state of course.
>>
>>15765870
Don't do it bro. Even if the discount is good.

They will build a driving style profile on you, and then if you ever do get into an at-fault accident that's due to something outside of that driving profile, they will refuse to pay out same as when they refuse to pay out on unsafe cars in accidents.
>>
>>15771925
More like the people don't always listen to the politicians

Their decisions only matter if we listen to them.
>>
>>15772156
And like I said, with enough shitty laws a secession will occur if not a coup of some kind. I think that's the right word, somebody else takes power but country stays the same borders? It's 2 am and my filter for painting isn't great so please forgive grammar
>>
>>15773745
Its fine, but at this point i doubt a coup is even possible. The population is too much under control.
>>
>>15772812
>I wouldn't know that, I don't have progressive.

GM Onstar data recording is able to work with at least six different insurance companies. Other cars have their versions of "onstar" but the GM Onstar has a plan called "Onstar Smart Driver" which you sign up for. It provides analysis of your driving techniques and gives you a Driver Quality Rating. Things like using turn signals before you turn, not speeding on various roads, not going above 80MPH, not going above 90MPH, not going above reckless driving 100MPH, etc, all are considered including weaving in lane, sudden stops, sudden accelerations, hooning (turns taken at unsafe speeds), and inefficient driving such as speeding up just to slow down again. You get rated on that and more.

While it sounds good, the sneaky part is that you surrender your privacy rights. That allows your Driver Quality Rating to be given to various insurance companies along with data. The problem is if the state highway patrol ever gets a hold of data showing I drove at 90MPH which I did once. The car felt slightly wispy light on the smooth highway so I slowly braked gradually. The engine was in no way straining and had low RPM, but when a car feels like it is skating, then that really is the top speed for that BODY design. I have 6 gear auto and it was only about 2.1K RPM at 90MPH no strain on engine, quiet, smooth, but the car was almost skating on continental ContiProContact tires (nearly new). A shame. I have the power and tire rating, but not the car body to go faster. At 80MPH the car feels sort of solid on the ground and at 70MPH it feels normal and heavy on the ground. So, I guess 70MPH is the most I can safely go on smooth asphalt. A shame that onstar has recorded me speeding

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/vehiclemanager/smart-driver.html

I can't seem to find that email listing the various insurance companies that offered lower rates to me based on my driving data. I must have deleted it.
>>
>>15773769
IIRC a decent chunk of the population during the revolutionary war was passive and a smaller chunk were pro-british, I could be wrong. Not to mention it's mostly left leaning people who would be against it and they're not necessarily in great areas to have. For instance, while some midwest states like mn are blue, it's just because of the capital city, and all of the farmland is red, and probably armed and fed up with govt.
>>
File: Aftermath From 9-11.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Aftermath From 9-11.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>15773769
>Its fine, but at this point i doubt a coup is even possible. The population is too much under control.

A true revolution would be difficult because the ringleaders would be arrested before the revolution starts. And even if it stagnantly moves forward without leadership, all the public cellphones not owned by police and government would be non-functional. Your ISP would be down. And your cars will fail to start because all the modern cars are commanded to be OFF under the remote anti-theft control feature.

Your INTEL CPU processors of sandy bridge or newer have an embedded 3G ragio chip to provide remote anti-theft turn off features. It is positively marketed as anti-theft, but in reality the government can remotely kill everyone's PC and laptop unless it was owned by the military, police, and government. Once killed, only the gov't can re-enable your CPU as it stays dead until it receives the secret code.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369110,00.asp

http://www.infowars.com/91497/

Yes, Intel CPU have that feature built-in so that even if the PC is shut down, the CPU can receive the command (your PC in shutdown mode actually still has a trickle of power to the motherboard). The CPU has a cellphone receiver built-in and also listens on the cellphone, WAN (wide area network) or LAN for shutdown commands.

https://www.popularresistance.org/new-intel-based-pcs-permanently-hackable/

So your revolution would have no phones, no PC, no power, most cars would not work, etc. Versus the military and police whose gear still works.
>>
>>15773853
Yeah something about what you said sounds fishy.

You are telling me that the CPU that this computer runs at right now has a killswitch that can be activated or deactivated through the internet, which has been in use since 10 years ago and i am sure someone has cracked a way around it or to force it to work again, that this very small CPU has a cellphone reciever built in and can detect communication waves to reactivate itself and read and command on LAN commands.

I am not saying its impossible, but as of right now that sounds like some hardcore bullshit.
>>
>>15773888
yeah it's all a bunch of what if conspiracy buillshit.

the CPU is physically backdoored but it doesn't have a fucking cellular receiver on the die, that's ridiculous.
>>
>>15773853
>implying there aren't a ton of non-onstar vehicles
>implying you need to use traditional communication
>revolution needs power and military/police don't
>implying vast majority if not all of the military and police wouldn't defect
>>
>>15773916
Yeah, not only that, but even if it was possible to remotely deactivate it, it would be very hard to find out what's the serial of the CPU you are having, say, the NSA would need to directly hack your fucking computer or introduce a virus that sends the specs and shit. Which again, while possible, its very unlikely.

And even then, to add to >>15773853. there are alternatives. There are several alternate methods to communicate that are harder to block, or just use a few things that make it harder (considering what snow said about how to hack cellphones) you can just remove the stock mic and speakers to use aftermarket ones that cannot be traced, use old phones and not have them affiliated with any company. On top of maybe using something like a linux that could be booted from an USB drive?

Besides, your source called "popular resistance" and having as an article logo an illuminati symbol with the Intel logo inside just... Doesn't seem to inspire me to believe what's written.
>>
>>15766683
>tfw my shitbox has the old style plug
Good luck tracking my mad skids now
>>
>>15768563
You mean 180 don't Jew ?
>>
File: whistleblower_edward_snowden.jpg (38KB, 427x546px) Image search: [Google]
whistleblower_edward_snowden.jpg
38KB, 427x546px
>>15773916
Looks like no one remembers the various things Edward Snowden revealed. Or that the public can't remember more than one or two things at a time with the rest being forgotten.
>>
>>15774022
>being this new

man
>>
>>15774097
He wasted his life and career for the most part. Most of the public didn't really care. Despite all the law breaking, you didn't see firings, prosecutions, or demotions since the public didn't care enough. The politicians just waited for whistleblowing publicity to blow over. Watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians is more important for the vast majority of people than the Snowden stuff anyways.
>>
>>15766500
>wat is gps
>>
>>15772832
>America
>gas is 2 dollars per gallon
>no smog
>no inspections of any kind
>can literally LS swap my car and throw it on the road with no inspection
>guns aplenty
Keep being cucked tho.
>>
>>15774398
>no smog
There's lots of smog on the west coast. You can see the dark haze coming in from the ocean from China. I live up on a tall hill, so I am above most of the heavier smog and can see it coming in from the pacific ocean early in the mornings before I begin my commute.
>>
>>15774493
>doesn't understand that I mean no emissions regulations when I say no smog
>>
>>15770847

It is set up to specifically read your VIN#. Your insurance policy knows what your VIN is, and so do the OBDII ports.
>>
>>15774398
Plenty of US states have inspections and a few states have emissions testing
Probably the minority of America doesnt have either of these things.
>>
>>15774659
Not really, outside of liberal states on the west coast and some major.metro areas dotted around the country, emissions and CARB type inspections don't exist, they are actually in the minority
>>
>>15774720
Only 12 states have no form of inspection at any time.
>>
>>15774398
>cant get an r34 skyline, and only recently could get r32
roflmaobbqing@urlife
>>
I fucking hate how companies make you "connected". Seriously. Fuck that shit.
It reminds me of the episode in Always Sunny when Dennis tries a new currency.
>>
>>15774811
Ok, but most of the states have at least a safety inspection which doesn't include emissions, I live in VA and outside of liberal fuckstain NoVA, there are no emissions regs or issues with swaps like with CARB out in Commiefornia, but there are safety inspections which I believe are for the common good of drivers on the road
>>
>>15774925
Yeah, which is exactly what I posted in my original reponse to
>swap everything fuck ya'll
Yearly safety inspections are good. I hate living in a state without them.
>>
>>15775071
>I hate living in a state without them.
Text book Stockholm syndrome
Cognitive dissonance got this nigga fucked up
>>
File: 8c6.gif (443KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
8c6.gif
443KB, 480x238px
>>15775086
>I don't mind sharing the roads with cars that are held together with chewing gum and chicken wire
>>
>>15775093
>implying this is it has ever been an issue
Its been like this literally forever, never been an issue yet.
I'm extremely thankful that I can do what I want to my own cars.

>>15775109
>importing cars
Doesn't really matter to me but whatever
>no speeding
Where is it legal to speed?
Where is it legal to do illegal things?
I could see if you said >having speed limits
That would make sense, but >no speeding
That just doesn't make any since at all.
>>
>>15775123
>Implying I can't modify my car how I want
You're a moron, safety inspections means they only make sure you're tires belts aren't coming out, you're backup brake turn signal and head lights work, suspension isn't fucked, and your windshield isn't cracked, I can still do what I want to it as long as it isn't considered a condemned vehicle
>>
>>15775086
>that honda accord next to you with the park bench spoiler on the back will have a wheel bearing fail next to you in

This is /o/, we know the normal populace doesnt maintain or even inspect their own junk. Im not against fun, but seeing shit that is actually fatally dangerous worries me. Especially when Tyrone got shit to prove in the twisties.
>>
>>15775109
>And no speeding aswel

Just oppose any privacy law changes that allow insurance companies to get access to the car data. Pray there is enough publicity so that the politicians can't sneak such changes in before the voters can comment. You saw how Obama wanted "Fast Track" powers to push legislation thru to make sure voters had minimal time to influence the congressman to say NO. Politicians like to sneak controversial things past the people before the voters can make congress vote the way the constituents want.

Once the insurance companies have access to the data with the VIN on it, it is just one more step to also allow the state highway patrol and local police access to your driving data. That would mean they have GPS and speeding data on you. Some states give reckless driving charges to speeds over 90 MPH and additional penalties for speeds over 100 MPH. It would be next to impossible to prove your car GPS and tach wrong especially if they put it on a dyno at a court trial (at your expense of course since you are the defendant and have to pay to prove the computers are wrong).

It's important that enough people know there is a big brother problem coming with cars. If too many people keep being ignorant or have a "meh who cares only the guilty need to worry" attitude, then we will lose our freedoms out of fear of insurance companies "fining" us with high rates.
>>
put it on a gimbal
>>
>>15775141
I drove my truck with a bad wheel bearing until it had the brake rotor so out of alignment, it would lock up that tire when turning.
>>
>>15766623
It is "progressive" after all.
>>
>>15775165
That or stop buying cars with OBDII
>>
>>15765825
What is this orwellian bullshit?
>>
>>15775173
K
>>
>>15775193
United States insurance corporations
>>
>>15775170
>put it on a gimbal
Although it plugs into the OBD2 socket, using an extension cord so that the device is on a swiveling gimbal mount won't fool it. That's because it uses the car's sensors plus the car's own computer to validate the digital signals.

If you then said put all the car's accelerometers on gimbals, then you are looney. But let's say you could actually physically do that at zero expense and ignore the physical mounting problems thru magic. What would happen with all the sensors floating is that the car computer thinks the car is floating in the air. That means it is falling off the cliff. It will blow the airbags to protect you. Surely you've seen that youtube video where the hooner is sliding sideways right off the cliff edge? He hits no barriers. But as soon as his left side is in the air, boom, the bags all went off before he even began bouncing off the rocks rolling the car a number of times on the way down.

Things like that limit what you can do to fool the car's computer. Change the speed? The car will drive differently and use fuel differently.....

By the way, blowing the bags was a good decsion. The driver's window kevlar airbag (even deflated) blocked the window so that neither the driver's head or arm came outside the window as the car rolled. You know what happens to an arm/head outside the window if the car rolls.
>>
File: Bill of Rights.png (206KB, 1012x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Bill of Rights.png
206KB, 1012x1150px
>>15775193
>What is this orwellian bullshit?
To make money, it is important to make people pay for their freedoms. Under unregulated capitalism, anything the people have for free is wasted money-making opportunity.

Another thing some people don't understand is there is a difference between giving permission (which can be unilaterally revoked) and contractually giving permission (which cannot be unilaterally revoked). That's why companies use contracts since once you give permission, you cannot revoke the permission. Always keep that difference in mind as to how you give permissions or sign your bill of rights freedoms away. Or you allow legislators to give them away (for "bribes" such as corporate donations to the Clinton Foundation).

Thus the car companies want to be able to sell your data to the insurance companies thru use of the various car monitoring services they run whether it be GM, Mercedes, Hyundai, Kia, Lexus, Audi, Honda, etc. All those car companies have the ability to use wireless to "phone home" data. GM uses OnStar. Honda has HondaLink. BMW has Assist besides older ConnectedDrive. FCA has UConnect Access. There's AudiConnect and Mercedes Embrace. Hyundai offers the Blue Link system, and Kia has the UVO system. Toyota has a Safety Connect system, and Lexus has the Enform system. Etc.

In the UK,OnStar (sep 2011) changed terms & conditions to begin allowing sale of vehicle location and speeds to interested third parties including law enforcement agencies. That doesn't mean it is actually doing so, but the terms now allow it since you signed the contract which allows the company to update and change terms as they see fit (of course you cannot do the same so it's a rather one-sided contract).

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/26.58.html#subj3
>>
>>15775403
>2A not blacked out as well.
>>
>>15771490
The car in front of you could suddenly brake. This is always true.

If you can't respond without braking hard then you're too close.
>>
>>15775179
>That or stop buying cars with OBDII
Mandatory in new cars.

>>15774097
>>15774186
>Looks like no one remembers the various things Edward Snowden revealed.

DreamWorks acquired rights to two books about WikiLeaks last year. The studio explored steps to start work on a film based off of the books, and according to the website Deadline.com, The Bourne Legacy‘s Jeremy Renner “is looking hard” at landing the role of Julian Assange.

The film, currently untitled, will stem from material published in the pages of WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War On Secrecy, by David Leigh and Luke Harding, and Inside WikiLeaks: My Time With Julian Assange At The World’s Most Dangerous Website, by Daniel Domscheit-Berg. Both books were penned by authors from the UK’s Guardian, a paper with the distinction of being one of the few internationally known outlets to publish, in part, documents distributed by WikiLeaks.

Deadline.com mentioned that DreamWorks is believed to be considering Bill Condon of the Twilight Saga for a director role in the release, but has refrained from offering almost any official comment on the film since purchasing the rights last year. Of the few details that have emerged, however, writer Josh Singer of The West Wing television program has been linked to penning the script.

There are no details yet on if the film will end where the two WikiLeaks books concluded or if Singer will update it to chronicle Assange’s latest legal battles — the reformed hacker-turned-Wikileaks founder has been hulled up in London’s Ecuadorian Embassy for one month now. It might be safe to assume that such might be the case, though.

Speaking on behalf of DreamWorks, Production President Holly Bario recently told reporters, “If you’re going to invest in this story, you’ve got to have a satisfying ending.” So it looks like Dreamworks will just keep optioning the books until something dramatic happens to Wikileaks, Assange, and/or Snowden.
>>
>>15766539
I was expecting that to be dark, I'm pleasantly surprised
>>
>>15770543
>OBD1
nigger please, my car doesn't even have that
>>
>Be 22
>Buy a 2000 Subaru 2.5RS Coupe
>Take motor and drivetrain out of car
>Put in a full 2004 EJ207 Version 8 into the car
>Only pay 25 a month for full coverage on a car with 350whp
>Feels good man
>>
>>15774022
>>
>>15771925
Yes, but those were things that young people give a fuck about. They don't give a shit about cars or spirited driving. But the general populous will hear nothing but "insurance will be cheaper!" and they'll gladly sign whatever you put in front of them to make it happen.
>>
>>15766236

Literally islamic communism tier with jewish tricks attached to it.
>>
File: 1470891903637.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470891903637.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>15766236
except they don't increase the rate.
>>
>>15777208
https://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-common-questions/
>Most Snapshot customers do earn a discount based on their safe driving; however, riskier driving habits based on these factors indicate a greater likelihood of being in an accident and may result in a higher rate at renewal—depending on the state you live in and when you signed up for Snapshot.
>riskier driving habits based on these factors indicate a greater likelihood of being in an accident and may result in a higher rate at renewal
>riskier driving habits [...] may result in a higher rate at renewal
are you blind or just stupid
>>
>>15773215
>turn your hobby into your passion

UTI doesn't make you an auto engineer, it makes you an unemployed mechanic with no experience, heartbroken because you believed the lies about that "degree" meaning a god damn thing to garages.

And if you're going to lie, don't use their company slogan in your post.
>>
>>15777208
>except they don't increase the rate.
Remember they are speaking like lawyers. The discount rate you get from participating will not increase your rate. It will be 0% (zero percent) in that case. The other rate adjustment that occurs OUTSIDE THE PLAN is different and can be higher. They never said that recorded data can never be used against you. They only spoke of the specific rate from participating in the plan. Obviously, there are lots other rates that can go alongside that plan's rate. For example, you are in the plan and you get in 10 collisions one per week. YOUR original logic was that since those were recorded by the device they cannot count in raising your rates. FALSE.

So you see from that bold example that your driving will affect your rates. The part where they say it will only be of benefit and not raise your rates was lawyer talk to fool you into signing up and giving up your privacy rights. Any future device they put onto you will no longer have privacy protection because you signed away your rights.
>>
>>15765825
>they REQUIRE that I use them. No hektik skids for UP TO SIX MONTHS.

They don't fucking require shit (yet), you are free to tell progressive to go fuck themselves with the understanding that you will not get a discount. I get a similar situation at work with health insurance, I sign up for one yearly price and then they offer to lower the bill if I do certain things. If I take test that shows I don't smoke I get 1200 off, if agree to health screening and loose a few lbs I get another 1200.
>>
>>15779709
>They don't fucking require shit (yet), you are free to tell progressive to go fuck themselves with the understanding that you will not get a discount.

He can still quit early. But they will probably continue using what data they do have against him as the predictor of his future driving situations. In my opinion, insurance companies such as Progressive or Geico don't look at themselves as being a partner interested in your well-being. They are efficiency companies looking for legal methods to reduce expenses and maximize profit.

As we know from all those media reports of how hugely profitable Geico is for "The Wizard of Omaha" and his Berkshire Hathaway fund that owns Geico, certain insurance companies exist to skim the cream. Geico's profits appear come from insurance buyers. State insurance commissioners (as well as what little remains of federal laws after deregulation removed all the teeth protecting consumers) protect the other insurance customers (non cream of the crop) from predatory pricing. As a result, many insurance companies look for legal ways to circumvent insurance laws and anti-discrimination laws by using tactics such as these data recording devices that regularly phone home data via their built-in cellphone.

What they are trying to do is build up a record of offering discounts in order to convince politicians to change the laws. Progressive gives most device users a fake discount but then takes it back with outside negative discounts as reviews have mentioned. To me, that is a cynical company creating fake data to fool the politicians later on that customers get 10% or more discount when in actuality, almost no one gets any real discount.

That's playing dirty. But Progressive wants to create enough inaccurate positive data to use in changing the privacy laws to get at the heart of what they want - your telematics driving data. Telematics are those data services such as OnStar.
>>
>>15765825
WE 2F2F NOW
>>
>>15773967
That's okay anon, we'll just triple your rates because we can't monitor your driving to so we're not sure you're being safe :^)
>>
>>15780796
>>15781125
One online review of the Progressive monitoring device was eye opening. The guy went thru the entire program. Progressive wants to save money but at the same time also create stats that will support the lobbyists trying to convince politicians to change the laws to allow insurance companies to obtain telematics data without the customers being able to prevent that.

In order to justify that, they need to say "It saves money for consumers".

The review mentions that at the end he got something like 12% discount which is significant. And of course Progressive also had those terms where the data is not used to raise the rates for the program. Always remember the wording is how lawyers word it and not how /o/ desires wording to be. Besides the 12% discount, he had rate increases that removed the 12% discount but those were provided outside the program. Thus those increases didn't violate the wording of no rate increase. He also had a net rate decrease after the program of approximately ONE dollar. Both the 12% and the fact that the customer had a net rate decrease after the program look good statistically. I bet progressive and other companies collect lots of these misleading stats.

Such types of insurance big brother problems can be held off Only if enough people are aware of misleading claims by insurance companies that monitored drivers save money.
>>
>>15782841
So they gave a discount but it was fake. Only made to create statistics to fool lawmakers into voting away our rights.
>>
>>15783708
Searched for the review that was mentioned earlier in this thread and found a good one. It seems to verify a lot of the bad points about what progressive intends to do when it lobbies the lawmakers after it collects enough "fake but legal" data to show to them.

https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/
>>
>>15785268
Paint fill doesn't do shit it just all fills up.
>>
>>15785501
Older versions of MS Paint were super slow at filling while other freeware products filled the picture quickly. That picture was made to test how fast different paint programs filled up the pattern.
>>
>>15786135
Oh, I thought it would show something in the maze.
>>
>>15785268
>https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/

That's a pretty informative review. It even talks about some specific numbers that Progressive uses in evaluating people's driving data.
>>
>>15765825
Glad the most complex electrical thing in my car is the fucking tapedeck.
>>
File: Progress SNAPSHOT.png (8KB, 411x141px) Image search: [Google]
Progress SNAPSHOT.png
8KB, 411x141px
>>15765825 >>15785268
>my new insurance company sent me these "snapshot" things that monitor my driving

https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/

Quote:
"""What Every Driver Needs to Know about Progressive Snapshot

For the past six months, I signed up to participate in Progressive’s Snapshot Discount program, which offers a device that you attach to your car that transmits data about your driving activity. The results and the impact of the Snapshot might surprise you. In this review, you’ll be better informed if you wish to take part in the monitoring program.
:
:
The Snapshot device is a small module that you plug into your On-Board Diagnostics Type 2 (OBD-II) port on your car. The OBD-II system allows automotive technicians to diagnose vehicle activities and has access to practically every sub-system on your car: engine, drivetrain, brakes, transmission, electronics — you name it, it can be acquired through OBD-II.

The Snapshot device has a lot of electronics packed in its 2” X 3” size. It has a memory chip, cellular radio and a GPS radio that communicates with satellites for location tracking. You can inspect the patent to see what it has under the hood. The Snapshot device continuously streams your vehicle’s data to Progressive’s servers while driving. For my device, it has a quad-band GSM module
:
:
To Progressive, a hard brake is defined as any condition where the vehicle decelerates faster than 7 MPH per second.

At 75MPH (110 feet per second), to reduce down to 25MPH (36.67 feet per second), you would need a minimum of 7.1 seconds to slow down.

END QUOTE

Some other people also used Progressive Snapshot devices and also were awarded discounts. Lawyers speak with forked tongue. But their true net rates went up as seen in the quote below.

"""DO NOT USE IT. I am a low risk driver and received a snapshot discount of 12%. However, my premium rose from $69/month to $110/month. """"
>>
>>15775452
>what is reaction time
>what is performance difference
it's recommended that you give yourself 2 seconds of time between you and the car in front of you
that is not enough space to ensure that you won't have to hard break when the car in front of you hard breaks
that is enough space at 50mph for 4 asshats to cut you off in my city (also a part of why our insurance rates suck here)
>>
>>15775452
>If you can't respond without braking hard then you're too close.
Progressive has created reasons to legally raise your insurance rates despite you never having an accident. You need to give over 5 seconds of gap between you and the next closest car in front of you to avoid the hard braking penalty when you slow down but not stop. And that 5 seconds requires you to have instant response because every bit of time you delay due to thinking or slow reflexes adds to that gap time.

So there is an insidious hidden trap built in. No one can drive on the freeway as safe as Progressive wants. Thus, they get to raise rates without the state insurance commissioner on their back ordering them to stop.

I am with Progressive right now but am thinking of switching. My normal full coverage + extras rate is $90 per month for a new car. I have no accidents that were my fault since 1987. But that driving data on the stop and go freeway raised my rates to $138 from that $90. So the "promise" of rates not going up is a lie because they find legal ways around their wording. I asked why and Progressive said the methods they calculate are proprietary information. Thus I have no details which I could contest the rate increase.
>>
File: shaving75ql.jpg (23KB, 432x455px) Image search: [Google]
shaving75ql.jpg
23KB, 432x455px
I had no issues with using my Snapshot. Ended up with a 26% discount and no rate increase when I renewed.
>>
>>15790868
One person who got 28% discount from Snapshot drove only about 3500 miles per year.
>>
>>15792360
I drove about ~15,000/year. I would just pull the unit if I had to drive late at night or on longer distance trips on highways. It's pretty easy to game Progressive with these things to get better rate discounts.
>>
In Ontario where are insurance rates are completely retarded already, they can't increase it due to poor driving. I'm with a company called Bel-Air Direct and no matter what I do I get a 0% discount. Just a standard 5% from having the device installed.

Literally drover 1105 kms one week.
0 hard braking events
7 sudden accelerations events
0 kms driven at high risk periods (12-5 am)
0% discount

Fuck off. The only reason why I had 7 "sudden acceleration" events is because the on ramps to the highway in my city are ridiculously short. They consider sudden acceleration to be accelerating 12 km/h per second or more. The programs are a joke.
>>
File: lel.png (13KB, 506x296px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
13KB, 506x296px
>>15793580
This is how I drive now
>>
>>15772065
OnStar retention is tied to the radio.

Replace the factory radio and you should be golden. Of course, it's only a real option for out-of-warranty vehicles.
>>
>>15768563
Holy fuck, Zoolander
>>
>>15773853
vPro is a feature you have to pay more for. Just don't fucking buy a vPro processor and you're fine. The idea is that they're for business computers, so they can be remotely locked out if lost or stolen in order to prevent trade secrets from being leaked. Because it's a business feature, Intel charges an assload of money for it, and it's not present on all processors.

tl;dr: you're an idiot, just like 95% of /g/. I bet you haven't even installed gentoo yet.
>>
>>15793834
>installing /g/entoo

One must be a masochist to perform this ritual
>>
>>15793606
Are they saying that you literally drove too much?
>>
>>15793580
>https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/

Hard acceleration is a bunk ass thing to consider when factoring in safety. Defensive driving courses in Ontario straight up TELL you to accelerate hard when merging with 400 series highways, you fucking have to, that's what the ramps are designed for. You do not merge with the highway and then accelerate, you accelerate then merge. I'd actually be interested to see how these things rate a vehicle used for defensive driving studies. These are insurance backed programs themselves, what would their justification for a potential rate increase be in that case?

Fuck this province, the next car or truck I buy will qualify for fucking classic insurance and that'll be it. Fuel efficiency can eat a dick when I'm saving +1000 dollars a year on car insurance I'll gladly spend a little more at the pumps.
>>
>>15774811
No inspection where I live in AZ, I never realized that was something people actually did until I came to /o/
>>
>>15793606
How many sick skids?
>>
>>15793783
>Replace the factory radio and you should be golden.
It depends on the car model too. With older GM cars up to 2012 you can do that. GM had been hardening OnStar after that date because telematics became an integral part of the GM car electronics and security. For now, GM seems to be using the Malibu and electric cars as its lead out test beds for new OnStar and WiFi offerings. Thus, those are the post-beta testing release versions of changes.

On my car made after 2012, it looks like the display unit wires goes into the OEM electronics box which also contains the OEM stereo, radio, and controller that sends and accepts data from the touchscreen display. Without the OEM unit, I would lose the ability to use the touchscreen and modify (or see) various car options such as light settings, voice control, hands free phone, etc.

Thankfully, the display controls for fans, air conditioning, heating, defrosters, and air pathway selections are on a separate display controller. If those were also lost if power was cut to the main OEM touchsreen and radio box, driving in the car would suck too much.
>>
>>15793834
The feature for remote shut off is in all intel microprocessors of Sandy Bridge onwards. It is part of the hardware. Ivy Bridge added further refinements including a more selective control on deletion of data from the hard drive.

vPro commercial services is separate from vPro-capable processors. It represents additional services and revenue stream for Intel. You are talking about vPro commercial services.
>>
>>15794750
Only certain processors have vPro capability. You can check the feature list on Intel's website to see if a certain processor supports it. You also have to pay a monthly fee in order to use the features offered by a vPro-compatible processor.

Here's an example of a processor with no vPro support (near the top under Advanced Technologies):
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
And here's an example with vPro:
http://ark.intel.com/products/88200/Intel-Core-i7-6700T-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz
>>
>>15765825
Can't you just take these out at any time you want? What the fuck do they know?

you UK or US btw?
>>
>>15794711
Someone hacked the OnStar remote control features in 2015. The hack was named Ownstar and was presented at DEFCON. Of course, the white hat hacker worked with GM to develop a fix for the problem. GM's first fix was insufficient as the hacker was still able to get around it, so GM worked on it some more and finally made a usable fix.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/gadget-hacks-gm-cars-locate-unlock-start/

https://www.hackread.com/start-gm-cars-hacked-mobile-app/

This type of hack is different from more basic hacks that simply read data that cars upload to the Cloud. Ownstar allows the user to take control of certain functions like remote starting the car, opening doors, etcetera.
>>
>>15794955
>Can't you just take these out at any time you want? What the fuck do they know?

OBD2 includes odometer data so that GPS Snapshot will see there is a gap in both the odometer data and the GPS times. It's easy to figure out the unit was disconnected from all the missing data stream that occurred while disconnected.
>>
>>15797121
I pulled mine all the time and Progressive didn't say shit about it.
>>
File: John-goodman-thebiglebowski-2.jpg (42KB, 533x355px) Image search: [Google]
John-goodman-thebiglebowski-2.jpg
42KB, 533x355px
>people on /o/ ACTUALLY allow their insurance company to install a spying device on their vehicle
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU MORONS THINKING
>>
>>15797291
The insurance company worded the offer very nicely. The problem is that the loss of privacy seems permanent as it is a contract and not a revocable permission form. So in the future, Progressive would have permission to acquire data once again.
>>
>>15766500
Or buy a S2000 and no one will know where the obd2 port is
>>
>>15768704
>being this much of a newfag
>>
>>15797179
It's be nice if it was easier to rig up a switch to cut power to the Snapshot device and then quickly resume power for braking. Just attach a magnet and a hall effect sensor for the brake pedal and Snapshot wouldn't sense any more hard braking.
>>
>>15768704
Is this a copypasta
>>
File: smug kaiji.jpg (57KB, 400x408px) Image search: [Google]
smug kaiji.jpg
57KB, 400x408px
>mfw old sports car with no OBD port
>mfw cheap insurance because muh classic car
>>
>>15765825

Don't do this shit, an ex-gf of mine had one in her car. Trouble with the thing is that there is no way for it to know what you're doing to cause the infraction is actually SAVING YOU. Deer jumps into road and you slam on the brakes? Doesn't care, penalizes you. Need to gas it to pass someone on the highway for whatever safety reason? Doesn't care, penalizes you. Need to swerve HARD to miss a sudden object? Doesn't care, penalizes you. It always assumes you are hooning. It just fucks you over in the long run, OP.
>>
>>15766236
> no driving between 11pm-6am

Well fuck you if you don't work a 9 to 5.
>>
>>15802984
Just take it out before you drive to and from work.
>>
>>15802994
better yet, just leave it at home all the time, get the insurance discounts without having to be a safe driver
>>
>>15803001
guessing they'll check the odo or something and figure it doesnt match up
still laffin out loud @ americans installing spycams in their cars
>>
>>15803001
You have to have some record indication of driving.

>>15803064
I pulled mine all the time before driving anywhere late at night or if I had to do long distance trips. They didn't say shit about the odometer readings not matching between trips.
>>
>>15803064
>still laffin out loud @ americans installing spycams in their cars
>spycams
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
Does anyone have a dashcam for insurance reasons? If you do that, do you generally have an obligation to hand over the footage in the case of an accident, say if they were giving you a cheaper rate for having the dashcam?
>>
>>15765835
Put them in your grandmas car
>>
>>15803105
Just like home security cameras, no. Insurance companies may accept footage, but you won't get lower rates because of them.

Only exception would probably commercial drivers and institutions.
>>
>>15765835
By never installing them in the first place.

Voluntarily using them is the first step towards mandated usage. Slippery slope, etc.
>>
>>15803094
see op
>>
>>15803157
Literally not a camera you dipshit
>>
File: 1435200713581.jpg (409KB, 1157x772px) Image search: [Google]
1435200713581.jpg
409KB, 1157x772px
>>15803166
>its not a camera so i like it
lel
>>
>>15803291
No, you fucking retard, nobody said that. It's just not a fucking camera you fucking simpleton.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>15803291
He never said he liked it. Don't go full retard, bro.
>>
>>15803302
lol ok american
>>
File: really.jpg (7KB, 200x210px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
7KB, 200x210px
>>15803312
>>
>>15766720
>I know it's reddit, but this is actually useful in this case

lmao dude i don't know if you knew this or not, but /r/cars is 100000x better than /o/.
>>
File: 1442831223017.png (16KB, 163x56px) Image search: [Google]
1442831223017.png
16KB, 163x56px
>>15803319
>>
>>15801498
run a switch off the obd fuse or something
>>
>>15803071
>They didn't say shit about the odometer readings not matching between trips.

You can just come up with reasons such as:
a. I was working on the car and had to disconnect the battery.

b. I was working on the car and had to connect my OBD2 reader to check codes.

>>15803064
>laffin out loud @ americans installing spycams in their cars
It is partially spycam if you have premium options in your car, but otherwise is just your OBD2 data. My new GM car scans the road for lane markers and will automatically nudge my steering wheel if I am riding on the line and also alert me. It also knows if I am tailgating, weaving in the lane, or have hit an object while parallel parking. All that must be known since my premium options package does parallel parking, adaptive cruise control (automatically adjusts speed based upon other cars), has emergency braking if I'm about to hit and haven't slammed my brakes yet, etc. OnStar can obtain audio thru microphones but doesn't distribute unless the the police request it thru Patriot Act.

You can even go to the OnStar website and sign up to permanently lose your privacy rights and let any insurance company (that OnStar is willing to sell the data) have access to it. OnStar has a partnership with Progressive, so if you sign up and you already have Progressive, your rates will be adjusted.

So, the car doesn't technically have a bunch of video broadcast cameras, but it does check lane markers, cars ahead of me, cars behind me, curbs, and pedestrians.
>>
File: 1367505916752.jpg (26KB, 270x307px) Image search: [Google]
1367505916752.jpg
26KB, 270x307px
>>15803409
>OnStar can obtain audio thru microphones but doesn't distribute unless the the police request it thru Patriot Act.
holy fuck he actually believes this
>>
>>15803409
Well, another reason I'll never own a car new enough to have "modern conveniences"
>>
>>15803423
>OnStar can obtain audio thru microphones but doesn't distribute unless the the police request it thru Patriot Act.
>holy fuck he actually believes this

You must be a graduate of a USA "No Child Left Behind Act" high school that considered "Pass" to be acceptable. They allow almost anything to graduate, thus no child is ever left behind without a high school diploma.

From the OnStar website:
"""We generally do not release those records (including audio records) unless we receive a subpoena or are otherwise required by law."""
>>
[color=#F700FF]T[/color][color=#F700FE]h[/color][color=#F700FE]e[/color] [color=#F800FD]B[/color][color=#F800FD]l[/color][color=#F900FC]a[/color][color=#F900FC]c[/color][color=#F900FC]k[/color][color=#FA00FB]s[/color] [color=#FB00FA]H[/color][color=#FB00FA]a[/color][color=#FB00FA]v[/color][color=#FC00F9]e[/color] [color=#FC00F9]S[/color][color=#FD00F8]t[/color][color=#FD00F8]r[/color][color=#FD00F8]u[/color][color=#FE00F7]c[/color][color=#FE00F7]k[/color]
>>
File: 1356169179904.png (437KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1356169179904.png
437KB, 512x384px
>>15803702
>From the OnStar website:
>"""We generally do not release those records (including audio records) unless we receive a subpoena or are otherwise required by law."""
>>
>>15803702
I like how they say "generally" which implies they do release without a subpoena if they feel like it.
>>
>>15803702
>"We generally..."
Thank you for proving his point lmfao dumb shit
>>
>>15803792
it doesn't matter whose points are epeen in /o/ with mockery or LOL attitudes. audio data is released by OnStar when law enforcement demands it thru a subpoena or by some stupid 9/11 law like patriot or whatever new name that patriot act law has now.

meanwhile peeps here seem more worried about trying to mock someone than in what is happening with privacy in cars.
>>
>>15804019
Lots of posters like to attack other posters instead of trying to prove something wrong. /o/ has teenage alphonse copycat shitposters too.
>>
>>15767170
>Theoretically you can mess with the accelerometer in them

The data comes from Ecu/bcu/tcu. So unless you buy a Ecu, program it with your vin and have extensive can2 message programming experience... You can't do shit.

Basically, if you are a senior programmer at snap on in Santa Clara or tektron, or Bosch or an OEM, you cold play games but likely be caught anways
>>
Local story. Auburn hills, Michigan.

New Tahoe does mad donuts on a new soccer field.

On star detects a collision incident, but the Ke doent answer the operator's confirmation because they all got out and started an epic smoke down. Local pd called, arrive on scene, expecting vehicle accident.

Lol 20 grand in property damage, possession and dwi charges. Oakland county Michigan bitch....expect the rough judicial system...

T. Honorable Martha anderson
>>
>>15804392
Just goes to show people from Michigan are trash
>>
>>15804392
>Snitched upon by OnStar.
>Police come

In the future, if there was some anonymous crime or vandalism, the police could go fishing. Contact each of the major car companies to see if any of their cars were in that area between the hours of 2AM to 3AM (or whatever time window). So things like OnStar could provide a starting point to develop a list of suspects.
>>
>>15804695
>the police could go fishing
Before 9/11, fishing search warrants were _usually_ denied and after 9/11 such warrants were still _often_ denied. Because the Courts often remained obstinate, a whole raft of laws was created to weaken and/or provide legal reasons (the citizen is breaking the law) for a search warrant.

That was still not enough due to the Supreme Court's decision in the 1980's resisting Reagan's attempts to remove privacy restrictions by combining databases of different federal departments together in order to have synergy in finding suspicious behaviours to be tracked and persecuted/prosecuted. This early precursor of the "big data" concept was deemed a privacy violation. To get around that major SCOTUS decision, Bush combined the federal depts together into one "Homeland Security" department. Thus, all the separate databases could technically be said to be in one dept.

The concept of "search warrant" was also modified in order to make search warrant denials more difficult to obtain by defendants trying to disqualify gathered evidence. Thus the widening of "administrative search warrant" powers occurred. Such warrants are issued under recognizance of administrator level staff in a police dept and not by a judge. Generally, these are "fishing" warrants and are often issued for capture of cellphone audio and texting communications records from portable and automobile units.

For cars, administrative warrants can only obtain data that something was transmitted (date,time). A full search warrant can have OnStar turn on the microphones and record the cabin conversations in entirety without notifying car occupants that recording is on. The FBI was using OnStar microphones to listen to passenger conversations as far back as 2003 as indicated below.

http://www.cnet.com/news/fbi-taps-cell-phone-mic-as-eavesdropping-tool/
>>
>>15804019
>guy is spouting bullshit and trying to defend onstar
>rightfully gets owned constantly
>waah but m-m-muh argumentation process muh sillogistic ruurs why aren't you guys letting me be a complete faggot in peace???
Fuck off, faggot
>>
File: european_muslim_refugee.jpg (94KB, 560x506px) Image search: [Google]
european_muslim_refugee.jpg
94KB, 560x506px
>>15805805
>guy is spouting bullshit and trying to defend onstar

OnStar has a right to exist and helps many people. It's clearly useful since it has millions of paid subscribers.

OnStar selling driving records to insurance companies enables UBI cost savings. UBI is poised for rapid growth in the U.S. According to SMA Research, approximately 70 percent of all auto insurance carriers are expected to use telematics UBI by 2020.

http://www.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_usage_based_insurance.htm

OnStar is no worse than google or facebook which also sells your privacy to other companies, thus breaking down privacy laws that protect criminals and impedes business. Critics citing Edward Snowden are wrong as even Hillary Clinton has said in debates that Snowden should be prosecuted for revealing security info on how citizens are monitored by business and how law enforcement uses that info.

OnStar selling driving data to insurance agencies will ultimately reduce rates for good drivers because bad drivers were hiding behind anonymity. When insurance companies can detect who the risky drivers are, the good drivers get rate reductions up to 30% because they are no longer weighed down by boat anchor risky drivers. Drivers that lie about their driving or drunk driving can be detected since GPS shows they visit bars or restaurants late at night. Their car then shows they weave in their lane, run stop signs, make turns without signalling on their way home between 11PM to 4AM. That is clearly high risk driving and should get higher rates.

Anonymity that hides bad drivers should be removed. Saving costs to insurance companies results in having more jobs and is thus good for the economy and taxpayers.

Current privacy laws are in conflict with the Gramm-Leach-Biley Act which requires insurance commissioners to {legal code: 673-1, § 3}:
Protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of the information used to determine insurance rates.
>>
File: 1460427398378.jpg (34KB, 463x482px) Image search: [Google]
1460427398378.jpg
34KB, 463x482px
>>15806791
Is this pa
>>
>>15806882
sta?
>>
>>15806791
I never asked to get memed on like this.
>>
>>15806896
Well, there's bound to be lots of people who are against privacy too. Those people are actually very numerous. My parents are like that about my pro-privacy beliefs. They say that guilty want privacy from law enforcement. They also say crime-minded people demand privacy in order to have an easier time being criminals. The guilty are the ones that have something to hide.
>>
>>15765825

Why did Progressive REQUIRE you to get them? You applied for the special discount? I am a new Progressive customer and they didn't require me. I also didn't ask for any discount plan.
>>
>>15766236

What the fuck
>>
>>15806791
I'd like to see them hook their telematics to a bunch of shitboxes from the 90s that don't even have ODBI. /o/ is perfectly safe.
>>
>>15806791
>defending the stripping of privacy rights this hard
>slippery slope, nigger

I want the statist shill to leave.
>>
>>15808039
The insurance company doesn't know the difference between you claiming to drive to or from work during those hours or if you are doing the late nite bar hopping and drunk driving back home. Or you could be heading back home from the restaurant where you had a beer with friends or by yourself. So the insurance company gives themselves (not the policy holder) the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>15772156
I thought slippery slope was bullshit when republicans were saying people would argue for pedophile's rights.

>and then it fucking happened
>>
>>15810570
They have been forever. The gay rights and child love movements used to campaign together until the fags saw their chance at acceptance and threw the pedos under the bus.
>>
File: BadParkers_specialbreed.jpg (40KB, 600x333px) Image search: [Google]
BadParkers_specialbreed.jpg
40KB, 600x333px
>>15772156
>No shit she wont make the end of the world anon, but she can (and most likely will) enforce stupid shit

Shillary is well known decade after decade of hating whistleblowers. That's because whistleblowers are the bane of corrupt politicians since corruption is what whistleblowers expose. If you remember from her history with Governor Bill Clinton, she and others were "facilitators" in getting exemptions passed for your business or even removing road blocks (which they put there to force you to "donate"). Shillary almost bit it due to whistleblowers back then. The huge amount of corruption was why the republican machine had such hate for the Clintons especially the group led by Newt Gringrich.

Shillary in the debates against Sanders revealed her flip-flop. Early in the campaign, she had adopted almost every one of Sander's points in an attempt to steal his thunder and drive him out early. But she was forced to drop most of the points as her contributors twisted her arm such as wall street which donated heavily to the Clinton Foundation. She also changed back to wanting Edward Snowden jailed for his crimes after he gets an "impartial" trial where his whistleblower rights are not applicable.

Shillary was originally an active republican, but had to change to democrat since her husband was a prominent democrat seeking to be governor. So in some ways she does support more human rights than Trump as she wants to expand social welfare programs where Trump wants to reduce social welfare. Oddly, she believes in more surveillance.

Shillary was a republican activist and switched to become democrat. Trump was a democrat that switched to republican. Bush accused Trump of being democrat longer than being republican.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/politics/donald-trump-election-democrat/
>>
>>15808039
>What the fuck
One of the reason why you have an agent is that exceptions can be made. If you visit the agent and bring in work materials stating your hours are for late night, then they can adjust your rates. That way, they don't assume you are tiredly joy riding late at night after doing a full day job. The agent will photocopy your papers and consult with management at the central office.

If you have a clean record with them and no history of lying to them, then they will probably take a chance on you and modify your rates to be lower. That is my experience with State Farm and not Progressive, but I assume that Progressive is not wholly jewish.
>>
>>15765825 . >>15771839 . >>15772114
>>15772640 . >>15773617 . >>15773777

If you buy the full options on the Chevrolet Malibu LTZ which includes the monitoring package, you get a "Teen Driver" report mode. As the parent loaning the car out, you can set things like maximum volume, maximum speed the car can go, and have it report unsafe conditions as listed in the display. You can monitor your child's location by smartphone app on a map and see how long the car was at each location, the speed between locations, etc. Naturally, you can also monitor boring stuff like battery voltage and tire pressure, but it's more exciting to see how many times the kid gunned the engine or had panic stops.

Obviously, if the car can monitor teens, then it can monitor you too. Since it appears on smartphone app, that means the data is sent to the Cloud and back down to your smartphone.

Your insurance company would find such data useful for the computer to do its data mining functions. It can determine how safe a driver you are and raise or lower your rates.
>>
>>15813661
>overspeed warning
>stick shaker kicks in
>tower tells me to go around the block again and dump fuel until the garage clears.
>>
>>15813689
I laughed harder than I should've
>>
>>15768704
nice job
>>
>>15813661
It would suck if all new car sales contracts had some phrase where the purchaser allows data monitoring. But why are these agreements automatically forced upon future buyers of that car? It is the buyer that signs the contract, not the car. Cars don't sign contracts.
>>
>>15816328
Not all states have protections against telematics data being sold by the monitoring company. Some states do. That's why a federal law regulating telematics in favor of consumers is needed. But lots of people are caught up in the "deregulation is good" meme which is supported by both democrats and republicans.
>>
This thread has told me that if I shouldn't buy anything with OBD-II or newer in it, and that if I do I should replace the ECU with a standalone system.

>>15813689
lol
>>
Question: what if you removed the OBD-II port on your car? Like, traced it back and did it cleanly so it looked like it was just never installed?

"You have to plug in this device to monitor your driving."
"I can't, there's no spot for it."
"Your car has to have an OBD-II port"
"I'm telling you, it's not there! Go look."
Thread posts: 254
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.