[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>grew up poor >could never afford tools or cars to work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1458109463796.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1458109463796.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>grew up poor
>could never afford tools or cars to work on
>never had any shop classes at school to get a feel for tools or anything remotely practical
>dad wasn't very interested in cars, although he taught me some stuff
>whenever I got even a small chance at doing repairs on a car, I never get to do it because someone else always butts in
>still too poor to afford tools or a decent car
>currently taking auto class at community college

How the fuck does anybody learn about cars without growing up around that shit? I hate my life, all I've ever wanted to do was work on cars and I can't even have THAT. Some people want to be fucking rich and famous and they still get that, but I will never just work on a car by myself and learn shit at my own pace by being hands on. On top of that, whenever I fuck up at something in my auto class at school I get berated by my professor and other students.
>>
shamefur self bump
>>
You wouldn't believe how many days I shat corn kernels, I thought it would only be one day but I'm on day 3 and still making maize.
>>
File: IMG_9910.jpg (190KB, 724x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9910.jpg
190KB, 724x748px
>>15751486
I was in the same boat but I signed up for a free automotive program, googled some auto basics before going and finished the program with 6 ASE's. Stop being a faggot and figure out a way to make it happen. If you smoke, drink, 420, fast food, etc. you're wasting money so cut that shit out. Or you can be one of those guys wearing the latest "fashions" looking fresh while waiting for the bus.
>>
I learn wrenching by having a hand me down beater in high school

you wouldnt believe how much work i could perform with a 100 dollar socket set from lowes
>>
>>15751777
What 'free automotive program' was it?
>>
>>15751486

>still too poor to afford a decent car

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. Buy a shitbox, have shitbox break, fix said shitbox because you're too poor to afford a mechanic. Repeat as shitbox slowly becomes undriveable, as you attempt to string it along for the maximum amount of time because you can't afford a newer car.

As for the enthusiasts and shit that spend multiple thousands of dollars on just turbos alone, they mostly just listen to other people that tell them what to do. The other people they listen to in turn mostly just listen to other people, who may or may not know what they're doing. There are a few people that actually know how to properly build fast cars, but no one is really entirely sure how that came to pass.
>>
>>15751801
It was a toyota program. Not sure if its still going on since it was about 8yrs ago. The point is, if you really want to work on cars you'll look into all the options you have. Maybe get a job at a lube shop. Most chain shops provide the tools and some basic training. You can learn advanced stuff from the more experienced people there if they do more than oil changes. Just realize, some people aren't cut out for that kind of work. If you're constantly fucking up you may want to look into other jobs before someone dies because you didnt torque a wheel. And dont even try if the only reason you like cars is because you want to be the next Brian Spilner
>>
>>15751777
in slav countries that's not considered a crashed car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1rp23Jizh8
>>
>>15751778
Pretty much this. Around Father's Day and Christmas, Lowe's tool sets usually go 50% off. So you can get a good starter mechanic's set for like $75-100. Plus there are funny of YouTube videos showing how to do repairs that you can learn from. And if you have a library card, most libraries have an online database like Chilton's that you can look up how to do repairs.
>>
bumpering
>>
>>15751486
Go to a you-pull-it place and dick around with shitboxes on your days off, all you have to pay for is the entrance fee and a basic set of tools. I used to frequent these places often in late high school/early college. Had a lot of fun with friends there and learned a ton in the process
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.