[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How stupid is it to get an RX-7 as your first car (already knowing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: ebay939111[1].jpg (110KB, 1207x800px) Image search: [Google]
ebay939111[1].jpg
110KB, 1207x800px
How stupid is it to get an RX-7 as your first car (already knowing how to drive, of course)? Particularly a n/a first gen so no worrying about tarbo doritos.

I know rotaries have a bunch of nonstandard maintenance (always let it warm up and cool down, don't turn it off too quick and flood the engine, rev the balls off it so it doesn't get carbon buildups, check your oil every fill-up), but I'm a NEET (for the time being) who has no significant other, friends, or need for tons of cargo space and want to join the weird triangle people.
>>
File: 1472391553417.jpg (123KB, 603x1232px) Image search: [Google]
1472391553417.jpg
123KB, 603x1232px
n/a rotaries are god-tier reliable

don't fall for memes
>>
>>15726756
Good to learn on if you like rotaries. Learn your limits before you go doing stupid shit. It's not gonna be fast in a straight line n/a, will handle ok but it is old so not the best. If it's what you want though get it, do your research on them first and decide if it's for you.

Rotaries are cool and if you have the space to work on it and can collect a tool kit you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>15726756
My first car was an 86 FC.
Drove it for 7 years withot issue over 200k miles.
>>
>>15726786
I'm not worried about straight line speed at all, where I live is pretty much nothing but twisty back roads and hills and the only straight lines are the highways where speeding is a great way to get a state trooper Charger six inches from your rear bumper and three points on your license.

>>15726783
TRIANGLES
>>
File: CAM00373.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00373.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>15726756
That's exactly what I did. Got it two years ago at 150k miles and have added on another 20k since. Only left me stuck two times: leaking injector grommet and a leaking clutch slave cylinder. Interior will most likely be shit from the sun + Japanese plastics, but other than that they're solid. Not a huge aftermarket but parts can be found fairly easily.

>Pic related
>Day 1
>>
How hard are FBs to rebuild? I know the FD is a bit of a nightmare with all its vacuum lines and twin turbos, but an FB should be a lot simpler, right?
>>
File: 20160302.jpg (889KB, 1778x1000px)
20160302.jpg
889KB, 1778x1000px
>>15726756
Not a terrible idea, just keep in mind that FBs are carbureted so you'll need to know or learn about adjusting those. Watch out for shoddy work from the P/O, too. Among other things, I've had to install a PCV valve since the last guy apparently skipped that step of removing the rat's nest of vacuum lines and he gutted the carb, which makes starting in winter a pain (and I live in a hot state).

They're ridiculously fun cars, though, and not much can go wrong since they're very basic mechanically. I've got over 200k on mine with no real issues.

And they do actually have plenty of cargo space.
>>
>>15726938
its a carbed 12a, finding parts is hard, but everything else is super easy to assemble
>>
It's fun, I went for an FB as my first car. sounded breddy gud, and the exhaust was so rich that it left a wake of gasoline-smelling air wherever it went. Not much sound-proofing so don't expect to hear your tunes if/when you go on the highway. The cargo space was pretty good (for a 2 seater anyway), my friend and I once picked someone up from the train station in it and drove them back under a blanket in the back. Don't expect to be able to fix much if you crash it though
>>
>>15726949
>Not a terrible idea, just keep in mind that FBs are carbureted so you'll need to know or learn about adjusting those.
I'm more than willing to learn and my old man used to do a lot of hot rodding so he can tune a carb in his sleep and is more than willing to teach me, so that's covered.

Holy shit though that's way more cargo space than I was expecting.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.