[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone redpill me on car insurance in most of the US? right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: NalsvU07Qh8[1].jpg (229KB, 1175x881px) Image search: [Google]
NalsvU07Qh8[1].jpg
229KB, 1175x881px
can someone redpill me on car insurance in most of the US?

right now i live in michigan, which is a "no fault" state, which means everyones insurance covers their own damages whether or not they're at fault

im moving to new york (which isnt a no fault state) in september for work and i plan on driving, im looking at insurance and it's terrifying me. like the minimum coverage gives me 10,000 dollars in repairs to the other person car. what if the repair is over that? what if i accidently scratch a bugatti or something, do i just get sued and then go bankrupt? thats scary

this is making me want to stay in michigan
>>
>>15655891
Yes they can come after you if the damage exceeds your insurance limits. Which is why you need to carry more than the minimum.
>>
chances are they have coverage to protect themselves and if they're driving 500k+ dollar cars they wont come after you

the people to worry about are the middle-upper class who have 100k+ cars and are petty enough to go right to their lawyers to file a suit against you.

basically what happens is the lawyer will let you know that a suit has been filed against you, and then they'll assess your actual wealth (any property you own, savings, etc) and decide if you can even compensate them. if you're poor, youre basically invincible and they won't do anything.
>>
>>15655891
I literally just changed my coverage from 25k to 500k and it increased my 6 months payment by 11 dollars. Pay a few bucks more now to save some later.
>>
>>15655891
>can someone redpill me
Sure I'll give you a red cyanide pill OP.
>>
>>15655940
im looking at liberty mutual and changing it from 10k to 250k increased the 6 month cost by 2,200

what company are you with?
>>
>>15655891
> like the minimum coverage gives me 10,000 dollars in repairs to the other person car. what if the repair is over that? what if i accidently scratch a bugatti or something, do i just get sued and then go bankrupt? thats scary

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Try not to cause a total-loss accident on someone's new car if you carry only the legal minimum insurance. I personally take that risk, but bumping it up to 20k isn't that expensive in the long run.

>>15655936
>chances are they have coverage to protect themselves and if they're driving 500k+ dollar cars they wont come after you

That coverage doesn't protect you from liability, at all. Their insurance company doesn't simply take that loss and walk away. The other parties insurance company will ALWAYS attempt to collect the repair expenses from (first) the at-fault party's insurer, and (second) the at-fault party themselves.

>>15655940
>>15655956
I'm going to assume that extra zero was a typo.
>>
>>15655956
Increasing the property damage from 10k to 250k increased your 6 months payment by 2.2k? How old are you, how much do yo currently pay, and how many accidents have you been in? I'm with GEICO.
>>
>>15655891
Umbrella policy is the way to go.
>>
>>15655891
I carry a $30k policy for the other person just in case I get in an accident when I drive sleepy. I have $0 to my end though so I only play about $125/month.
>>
Under 25? Kill yourself, insurance companies still think you're 16 until the day you turn 25. 24 and 364 days is just as bad as 16 and 0 days. Just kill yourself. Doesn't matter where you live, or what you drive, just kill yourself.

After 25...

>big cities cost much more
>extremely old cars cost more (I think the cutoff for "old" is 20 years)
>having abs is a benefit but 99% of insurance companies know which cars had it installed factory or not
>pay for 6 months at once they give you a better rate
>call back up and ask or go online to make sure you're not paying for some stupid extras
>try every insurance company you can, prices fluctuate by as much as 50%
>invest in a dash cam in case you try to get scammed, it WILL make a difference and get both insurance companies on your side, you don't need to spend more than $50 on one

obviously, tickets will bump the prices up. Only hoon in the middle of nowhere, it isn't worth it.

Watched some wannabe youtube celebrities, some guy said his lamborghini out in utah cost $150 per month. Meanwhile even with a perfect driving record, in places like chicago we have some 25+ year old anons on /o/ who claim that they can't even get a complete piece of shit nothing insured for less than $400 a month.

If you're considering job offers that pay the same but one is in a rural area, take it over one in a city. You will save thousands by the end of the year in insurance. In bigger cities you can get by if they have public transportation, but if it's big but not that big, you're fucked from insurance no matter what.
>>
How many of you drive without insurance?
>>
>>15656038
>after 25
Doesn't even make a difference anymore. What matters a lot more is how far you drive to work.

>>15656046
This is a terrible idea
>>
>>15656038
>Under 25? Kill yourself, insurance companies still think you're 16 until the day you turn 25
not really, I'm 23 and my insurance is half what it was when I was 21 with the same car, and almost a quarter what it was when I was 16
>>
>>15656038
>in places like chicago we have some 25+ year old anons on /o/ who claim that they can't even get a complete piece of shit nothing insured for less than $400 a month.
Complete bullshit, I live in New Orleans, aka one of the highest insurance rates in the country and drive a 2011 vehicle with full coverage for 115 a month, I am over 25 with no tickets on record.
>>
>>15655891
New York is no fault.

http://dfs.ny.gov/consumer/auto/auto1202.htm
>>
File: 1461284161295.jpg (70KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1461284161295.jpg
70KB, 600x450px
>hard acceleration/braking event
>driving after midnight
>idling in traffic
>just using your car in general

just fuck my discount up
>>
Hooooold up gang. In Michigan you actually have a personal property insurance on your policy from the MCCA, A private company you pat ~150 per vehicle for that allows for unlimited personal injury protection (no fault) and a million dollar personal property insurance. The PPI will be your payout if you damage someone's property. There is absolutely NO reason to have high property damage liability in MI.

Source: I'm licensed for MI for property and Casualty insurance
>>
>>15656121
>with full coverage
There's so much more to it than that. These threads are useless without knowing exactly what car, how much liability, commute distance, uninsured/underinsured coverage, medical, etc etc. The tables are endless
>>
>>15656303
>nothing insured for less than $400 a month
That would denote the absolute minimum for everything. I don't have the absolute minimum for everything. That claim is bullshit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.