[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the hardest that you've been fucked by a mechanic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 24

File: 13-things-mechanic-02-sl.jpg (27KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
13-things-mechanic-02-sl.jpg
27KB, 380x285px
What's the hardest that you've been fucked by a mechanic? Why aren't you repairing your own car yet?
>>
I had to pay something like $300 or $400 for my cat because the guy at the muffler shop claimed that my car needed a "premium" cat for whatever reason. I didn't do it myself as I don't have the tools or experience welding, nor do I have the space for all the equipment.

Dad takes his cars to the local Nissan dealership (apart from doing regular maintenance) because he somehow can talk them into doing all the repairs for free even if they are not under warranty or recalled. He got them to put in a new engine in my brother's 03 sentra for free.
>>
>>15648978
what the fuck is a premium cat?
>>
>>15648985
catalytic converter I guess a good one. Unless you were asking what a cat (for a car you fucking faggot memesters) was. Premium implies that it is of higher quality than regular cats. I don't know I thought it was bullshit but didn't really care at that point in time.
>>
>>15648999
sounds like bullshit to me.
>>
>>15648957
http://www.redtube.com/122303
>>
>>15648978
Pretty sure your dad is sucking the head mechanics dick bro

>>15648957
>Why aren't you repairing your own car yet?
Because a 2-post and the correct amount of tools ain't cheap, yo
>>
i once had a mechanic friend do timing chain guides for me. He didn't drop the oil pan after scraping all of the timing guide and gasket pieces squarely down into it. Got a few miles before I began to lose power. Didn't seize because I shut it down instantly, but i didnt invite him to help me pull the motor out and replace main and rod bearings.
>>
>I don't know how to do something
>How dare someone charge me to do something that I can't do
>Everything should just be free and given to me
>Wah
>>
a tire 'tech' stripped two the lug holes on one of the hubs on my car. I would mount my own tires if i had a balancer. The tech didn't tell the shop, the shop didn't tell me. riding around on 4 lugs instead of five.

Before that, a tech at a local garage broke a pcv tube on my wife's jeep, he glued it back together, didn't tell us. I"m not sure what it was in relation to.
>>
>>15648985
>premium cat
>>
The only thing I go to the mechanic for is alignment and smog.
>>
>>15649093
I swear this wrong thumbnail bug has been here for years, you'd think someone would've fixed it by now
>>
>>15649103
I was just tripping on that lol
>>
Happened to my dad
>his car needs a tune-up
>his brother recommends a trusted backyard mechanic
>guy goes over the car and says he needs 300 dollars to go buy the parts, fluids, etc
>dad gives him money (cause my uncle vouched for him)
>guy goes and actually buys the parts he needs
>starts working on cars and leaves after an hour saying everythings done
>dad goes to run car and car runs like dogshit
>dads pissed
>him and uncle keep calling guy but the guy never picks up
>dad calls me to go and work on car
>drive an hour to go look at car
>see that the guy didnt do a damn thing to it besides snap 2 sparkplug cables leading to coilpacks
>replace lines going to coilpacks, change oil/filter, air filter, etc
>dad tries to give me money but tell him to get me a 6 pack and punch the other "mechanic" in the face if he ever sees me

I was my families personal mechanic up until i moved out.
Never had anything bad happen to me though thank god
>>
>>15649035
But a jack, 4 jack stands and a "mechanics" toolset from Sears is
>>
>>15649135
This.
I got all i need for under 400 bucks
>>
>>15649135
Yeah, fuck off. What takes 15 minutes on a 2 post with a proper toolkit takes 5 hours with jackstands
>>
>>15649093
wait wat
>>
>>15649100
The only reason I go to the mechanic is for the same and also she's my gf ;)
>>
>>15648957
>bring truck in for pre purchase inspection
>shop tell me needs a tie rod to pass MVI, $300
>okay_np.jpg
>drop truck off the next day at 12pm
>calls me at 3pm
>his exact words "you didn't tell me it needed two tie rods"
>implying I'm a mechanic
>implying I inspected it
>implying I knew this
>calls me again at 5pm, "trucks ready"
>$700 bill

retard.
Here's another one at a different "mechanic"

>leave jeep with mechanic for a $60 tire change
>calls me an hour later "you didn't tell me you wanted new valve stems installed, I just notice them taped to the tires"
>they were literally taped to the sidewall and he didn't notice
>$120 bill

one more

>get brake job done on car
>hear strange clicking noise coming front front end
>no time to fuck with it myself
>bring it back to dealer because I assume they left the lugs lose or a caliper was rubbing
>dealer tells me it was the lugs, loose af on the front
>charge me $140 for shop labor
>to tighten lugnuts THAT THEY LEFT LOOSE
>refuse to pay, they refuse to relinquish the car
>needed the car for the weekend so I was literally extorted into paying

fucks.
>>
>>15649194
Like what? Oh, you're talking shit.
>>
>>15649214
God fucking damn it america, what kind've shithole tyre shop doesn't change the valves automatically?
>>
>>15649221
Go ahead and pull a gearbox when you can't get to half the bolts, faggot
>>
>>15649224
Wouldn't know, I'm not american
>>
Took my mother's van to the mechanic over an evap issue because I'm honestly not handy enough to deal with it myself, he finally fixed it after a few "I don't know what's wrong" moments, the light came back on so I took it back to him and we just got a call from him saying he crashed it. At the moment it's the only car in the household and now I feel like absolute shit.
>>
>>15649232
15 mins to pull a gearbag on a lift?

You sir, are full of shite.
>>
I was charged $630 for an alternator replacement on my 22RE Toyota Pickup. I was on vacation so I figured i'd just let the shop do it because all i had in my suitcase was underwear and three T-shirts.

His excuse was he only uses OEM parts and a Toyota alternator costs more. Again, I was really far from home so I just forked over the credit card. I have the receipt around here somewhere.

I didn't eat anything on the drive back home.
>>
>>15649103
what's to fix, it's perfect
>>
$1000 for a timing belt change. They charged me $400 for a $200 timing belt kit.

Never again.
>>
>>15649252
Nigger, once you have those delicious, glorious long extensions on a rattle gun and can get to the top bolts while standing half way down the driveshaft, you can accomplish anything

>>15649282
>Bending over to get fucked this hard
You deserve it desu
>>
>>15649300
>not buying you're own kit and having them install it
>>
>>15649059
nice strawman!
>>
>>15649314
I'm doing that next time.
>>
>>15649214

You're dumb as shit and deserved to be robbed.
>>
>clutch was kill on FB RX-7
>got a quote from an eastern european shop for $700 including parts
>they let me supply a $200 clutch kit that I found
>final charge was $370
bretty gud
>>
File: Toyota Tundra 1st gen.jpg (774KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Toyota Tundra 1st gen.jpg
774KB, 1600x1200px
>>15649322
Use rockauto. Got a full kit all the bearings gasket and water pump for $200 for my truck, all oem parts. Dealer charged $500 for the install.
I'm happy I did it because I was 50k miles over the service interval, but the old pump and belt still looked brand new when I got em back.
Still worth it imo
>>
>>15649282
>$630 for an alternator job
holy shit, anon
>>
>>15649314
If you bring me your own parts to install, especially on such a labor heavy job like a timing belt, I'm going to tell you to go fuck yourself or charge you time and a half.
>>
>>15648978
Should've just gotten someone to cut the cat out and weld in a straight pipe.
Then just tune it so it's not throwing O2 sensor codes.
>>
>>15649620
Why don't you charge more for labor in the first place and stop lying about parts costs?
>>
>>15649620
>waah i can't rip you off
>>
paid 200 dollars for a vacuum leak when i knew jack shit about cars
>>
The problem with mechanics isn't that they overcharge it's that there are too many stories where they quite literally don't do shit at all.
>>
>>15649760

I would pay 200 bucks for a vaccuum leak because that shit either takes all fuck of a weekend or not.
>>
>go get the alignment done
>car drives worse than before
>"yeah, uh its probably your tires"

If I could do my own alignment, I would. Needless to say, I`m never going there again.
>>
File: pepe4.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
pepe4.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>15649030

gross
>>
>>15649282
Had a moment like this where a shop tried to charge me something like $2000 dollars to replace an alternator and power steering pump on an 89 Volvo. I didn't get it done and still had to pay to get it back, just to sell it
>>
>>15649314
Most shops around me wont work with parts you bring them
>>
>Go to family mechanic needing rear shocks
>He prices them up at £70 each + labour, tells me to see if I can source them cheaper
>Go on ebay, find same shocks at £50 a pair
>Final cost was £90

Feels good not to use con artists, I'm doing all my own work now though, since he retired
>>
>>15648957
A few cars ago I had a MG ZR 1.4 which I swapped with a turboed 2.0 engine, it's a light car so it was pretty quick, I go to a local garage to get a cat back exhaust fitted that I bought on the Internet, I took it there with a full tank of petrol and it came back nearly empty, they totally rinsed and joy rode my car around, I wasn't very happy
>>
File: pepe lying on beach.png (454KB, 697x360px) Image search: [Google]
pepe lying on beach.png
454KB, 697x360px
>>15648957

my dad got fucked by a shady shop once. he went in for a state inspection. for cars 2yrs or less its 10$ pass or fail but for 3yrs and older its 37$ pass or fail.. they charged my dad 37$ for his inspection when his car was less then a year old at the time. he told me they charged him 37$ but i told him he got ripped off (i got have a state inspector licence too) he was suppose to pay 10$. so he got ripped off by 27$. i told him to go back and tell them they ripped him off but i guess he never did because he never brought it up again. eventually the state closed the shop down because they were giving passing inspections to cars that failed
>>
>take car in because starter motor is fucking up
>go back after its readu and see burnouts all over the road
>walk in to shed and burnouts leading up to my tyres
>start yelling at 16 to 18 year olds working there
>they all scatter, boss is no where to be found
>take car without paying
>still had the same problem even it went in with

>car throwing random codes
>take it to mechanic where
>go there about once a week for 2 months to see if its ready but they cant find the problem
>friend goes there with spare computer from same model and puts it in
>starts and drives perfect
>mechanic charges $300+ in labour even though the car just sat in the same place for months without moving
>ask if they can check out a sound its making before i leave
>"its a old car, don't worry about it" without even looking at the car

>put coilovers in myself and take it for an alignment
>too low to get on the hoist and asked to leave it there overnight
>come back the following night and see it up on the hoist
>next day go there to pick it up and they say they haven't done anything yet
>go back the fowlling 2 days and its still not ready
>get a call to come pick it up about a week later
>strut tops have been adjusted wrongly
>wheels visually out of alignment
>paid and left just to get the car back
>take it to another place who did it on the spot for half the price
>they said there is no way that my car had a wheel alignment as the settings were way out and all over the place

and most recently (last week)
>car has a whine and clicking sound
>mechanic said i need my wheel bearings replaced
>bought genuine wheel bearings and paid the mechanic to fit them
>cost about $1200 total
>picked up the car and drove home
>still has the same whine and clicking
>>
>>15649194
This.
>>
>>15649030
I was expecting that Lily Carter video

I am disappoint
>>
File: 1471284170807.jpg (85KB, 720x474px) Image search: [Google]
1471284170807.jpg
85KB, 720x474px
Head gaskets went out after 250k miles in my old 2001 legacy, didn't know that much about cars and he tried to get us for 4k dollars to completely rebuild the engine, grandpa said fuck that. Went to a scrap yard and pulled a 2003 legacy engine for 500 bucks, we have never gone back to that mechanic and I've wrenched on cars ever since.
>>
File: 1437406205177.jpg (77KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
1437406205177.jpg
77KB, 640x636px
>>15649194
>>15650064
>he cant have his car up on jackstands in less than 30 minutes moving at a leisurely pace
you deserve everything jiffy lube and cleetus the mechanic fuck up on your car
>>
>>15649309
unless youre a fat fuck who is just as wide as you are tall, the ~1.5 feet you can lift your car up on standard 2 ton jack stands allows for more than enough room to use air tools with fucking feet of extensions
unless, of course, youre just talking out of your vagina
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>>15648978
>"premium" cat
>>
File: image.gif (366KB, 218x305px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
366KB, 218x305px
>>15648957
My dad is a cheapskate that refuses to spend money on anything, except to build his dream house.

Obviously parts in cars wear over time and need to be replaced or repaired, but this is a foreign concept to my father.

So when my father's e36 325i needed repairs, he took it to the cheapest mechanic he can find.

>father's e36 having problems with the clutch
>cheap mechanic tells him he needs a new clutch disc
>mechanic tells father that he get it fixed in a week
>week passes and he hasn't done anything
>mechanic asks for another week
>next week passed, car is not fixed
>dad gives he 3 months since he went out of country for vacation
>comes back, car is not fixed
>every 3-7 months, dad comes to check to see if his car is fixed
>nope, mechanic says he have it ready in 3 days
>repeat this for 5 years
>every time my father goes to check, mechanic tells him he'll have it ready in 3 days
>the only reason why my dad hasn't taken back his car is because the mechanic told him he'll fix it for free
>mfw
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 230x164px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 230x164px
>take dads car to pepboys for tire changes
>guy comes back saying there's a hole in the muffler
>call dad, dad wants muffler replaced since this car will be his commuting car for a while
>ask guys if they have the parts
>"20 min drive to the dealer to get them"
>this was at 9am
>fast forward to 5:30pm
>"still working on it"
>angry as fuck
>dad shows up at 6pm
>finally just before closing they are done
>$500 for OEM parts and labor
>years later
>horrible exhaust noise
>jack car
>hole in muffler again
>wtf, look closer
>the faggots just taped over the hike with muffler take and a piece of metal to back it
>dad furious beyond fuck

Fuck those faggots, glad that store went under cause they couldn't keep their own employees from stealing shit.
>>
>>15648957
Had my bottom end blow and couldnt afford the tools to fix it and cbf.

$2000aud+ i think it was i forgot

Went to the local place who was a 4wd center (red flag for the future) who completely fucked it.

Cheaped out on parts, stripped the sump plug, tensioner leaked everything fucking leaked.

Could not be fucked chasing them so i just got rid of the car.

NEVER EVER

I now go to a professional raceshop which was ironically cheaper and 5min down the road.

Go figure.

ended up with a 300rwhp v8 for cheap so im happy alls well that ends well
>>
>>15649944
and if they do, they offer no warranty on said parts

if the shit belt you got ai orielly's breaks after 2 days then you gotta pay the man to do it all over again.

if they bought it, everything would be on them to fix it again
>>
>>15650046
>wheel bearings
>$1200
What. The fuck.
>>
>>15649214
This is why you pay with a credit card then do a chargeback after calling your bank and explaining the situation.

Not that hard, and the shop eats the chargeback fee
>>
>>15650240
>he does it 4 free
>>
>>15648957
Had one pay me $500 a week to do something that infuriated me. 20 years now and I'm still looking forward to the end.
>>
>>15648957
I dated a mechanic once.
Does that count?
>>
>>15650359
Where you reckon they get their parts?
>>
File: 1469682494478.png (104KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1469682494478.png
104KB, 320x287px
>>15650516
was she cute?

>a cute mechanic with huge tits will never sit on my face
kill me
>>
Not me, but when I was 18 my mom took my car to an oil change place. Like usual, they recommend a bunch of things to do, but in particular they tell her that my coolant is rusty and dirty. She went ahead and paid them to do it. When I got home she told me about how it was orange and they cleaned it so it was green again.
>tfw had to flush all of it out and explain to her that it was supposed to be orange
>>
>>15649998
Reading your post makes it very obvious that your story is true. Your father is a fucking idiot, and he passed it on.
>>
>>15648957
>be 20
>dad isn't into cars
>never learned shit about them growing up
>driving down road one day
>steam and coolant smell everywhere
>pull over and pop hood
>engine bay is soaked in coolant
>fuuuug
>not far from auto shop
>limp it there without letting it overheat
>shop can probably tell I don't know shit
>'Well desu, it looks like you need a new radiator'
>have to pay $740 all said and done
>realize later on after learning about cars that it was probably just a hose

I'm 27 now and know how to pull and rebuild the engine and transmission and will be rebuilding an axle and setting up the gears myself soon. Makes me cringe to look back and think of all the money I lost to mechanic's for having woman-tier knowledge of my own vehicle.
>>
>>15648978
>Dad takes his cars to the local Nissan dealership (apart from doing regular maintenance) because he somehow can talk them into doing all the repairs for free even if they are not under warranty or recalled. He got them to put in a new engine in my brother's 03 sentra for free.

He must have saved the life of the owner's relative or something. Since mechanics and floor space all cost money, something like that would need the dealership's owner's permission. Since the dealer owes Dad blood, your Dad gets away with a lot.
>>
>>15650046
What the fuck, 1200 dollars for wheel bearings? Even if it's the kind that's pressed onto the axle, you could have bought all the equipment to do the repair yourself for far far less. That's fucking absurd, I'm hella pissed.
>>
>>15648957
I try to do the work myself and I've done most of it myself or had a friend to help; battery, clutch cylinders, timing belt and water pump, and tires. Couldn't figure out my last problem and my manager was nagging me to go to a mechanic - and with something breaking on my car every month I just said fuck it already and felt lazy, plus I couldn't figure out why I was misfiring so I finally took it to the mechanic my tenant recommended.
>Charged me $86 to to diagnose the problem
>Charges $90/hr for labor
>Said it was my #1 fuel injector
>Said replacement part is $80 but it'll take five days to get the part
>Should've told him I'll take it from there but felt like he'll give me a hard time if I don't let him replace it if I ever need his help again so I gave the OK to order it
>Asked if he could replace all four while he was at it
>He says they only have one available
>Call friends to see if they have injectors because I can't really afford to not work for five more days
>Friend has a full set of injectors for $50
>Buy it
>Call mechanic
>No answer
>Fucker is closed on weekends and didn't tell me
>Left voicemail notifying him to cancel the order if it's not too late and that I can drop by with the set to speed up the process
>Monday morning he says he got the single $80 part in earlier than expected and already swapped it in
>Charged me $310 total
I guess that's not too bad of a price but I still regret my decision to not spend another day or two trying to figure things out myself, and investing in a multimeter and learning how to use it
>>
>>15649282 >>15648957

>I was charged $630 for an alternator replacement on my 22RE Toyota Pickup.

That sounds like a bargain for a stealership. You didn't get an inspection fee tacked on.

My stealership would charge me more because of their examination fee they add to almost all repairs. The chevrolet dealership in Renton, Washington does an inspection before it does any repairs. That fee is added to the bill. So in the past when I knew what the problem was and told them specifically, they still insisted on doing the inspection. I loyally bought multiple new cars from them decade after decade, but they didn't return the loyalty. So that's it for them.

It's Good Chevrolet's way of keeping themselves blame free I guess but it's all at the expense of the consumer. They also tell you to initial places saying you choose not to have it repaired so that they can then blame the customer for not repairing it and thus void the warranty in the future. That is an obnoxious trap.

Even if you have a new car warranty job, they insist on an inspection fee. If their inspection determines that all the repairs are under warranty, then I don't have to pay an inspection fee. But if they find something that is not covered by the new car warranty such as "it was improperly repaired" or "the car was damaged" then I'd have to eat the inspection fee. Others complained about Good Chevrolet in a local chat so I know I am not the only one irritated at these tactics to wring money or void warranty coverage. I'm just glad I have a nice job and can fork over the large fees they charge.

In my personal opinion, they are a stealership, but others do like them because they are local and polite. Polite is not the same as nice though.

Up north, the chevrolet dealer there charges less for service, but the problem is that dealer is far away. When your car has a problem, it's the local closest dealer that takes care of it regardless of price.
>>
>>15650935
>when I knew what the problem was and told them specifically
Protip: tons of customers think this, but are always wrong, or they wouldn't take their out of warranty car to a dealership
>>
File: smug boxer.jpg (50KB, 429x345px) Image search: [Google]
smug boxer.jpg
50KB, 429x345px
>>15650557

>getting scammed means you're a idiot.
>>
>>15650991
Yeah, that's universally accepted. With the added proof of typing out something with obvious markers of being a U.S. citizen, at the lowest testing point. In short; he and his father are uneducated hicks, proven by their history and his inability to convey the English language through text.
>>
>>15650962
Protip: Tons of customers are also right.

You insisted by saying "...are always wrong..." that 100% of customers are wrong when it comes to a stealership. However, stealerships prefer to repair the car out of warranty so that they can make a lot more profit. The in-warranty fee they receive from the manufacturer is a lot smaller than the stealership fee for doing exactly the same thing for an out-of-warranty customer. So the stealership has strong financial incentive to insist that the repair is out of warranty even if it is a new car (under one years old) with less than 5000 miles.
>>
>>15651028
Not only are you almost certainly wrong about your diagnosis of your problem, you have 0 idea how a dealership works. 99% of the time the tech gets paid the same for doing x job whether it's customer pay or warranty. The only push to not repair things under warranty is coming from the car company through the warranty clerk. It's not the dealership looking to make more money.

Here's a quick rundown for everyone in the thread of where people may be stretching the truth to make money

Recommendations from the tech - a flat rate tech who wants to make more money will try to upsell jobs he can make good hours on. The most common would be either pushing to do a major service early, or recommending another job when he know he'll already have something halfway apart, for example recommending a water pump when you're getting a timing belt job that requires taking the pump off.

From the service writer - they get money from upselling things like coolant flushes, fuel injection service (aka pouring an additive in the gas tank), etc. The service writer is obviously not going to come up with a nonsense repair just to try to make money.

Paying for inspection, or doing a small job that you think only takes 10 minutes but they charge you an hour for aren't scams. Best example is evap code from a loose gas cap.
>what they charged me $125 to tighten the gas cap and clear the code arghhhh that takes 2 minutes
Sure, but a tech has to be certain that really is the issue. That one time it turns out it's not a gas cap and is rollover valves, and the gas tank has to be dropped and the dealership does a 3 hour repair for free because they already told the customer it was just the gas cap, that's why any shop that intends on making any money needs that buffer. People in these threads seem to think that on a perfect day a shop should barely break even and if anything goes wrong the shop should absorb the loss.
>>
>>15651126
>>15651028
>>15650962
>>15650935
what in the fuck are you idiots babbling about
>>
>>15649194
Obviously you havent never worked on a car. You can do 90% on the,ground the same. And then take it to the mechaniman for the other ten..
>>
>>15650531
5 or 6/10 but she was pretty smart
We broke it off cause she went off to work at a dealership across the country
>>
>>15649339
Nothing about my post implies I'm remotely dumb. Lazy maybe, but not dumb.

>>15649620
I can tell you're not a professional. The dealership fixed me up real nice.

>>15649944
Have you asked? The service guy at my local Toyota was cool about it. He even asked me to send him a link of the parts I was ordering so he could check them out before the install AND the install actually came in lower than the phone quote.
Buy a Toyota™
>>
>>15649214
$140 to tighten lug nuts? Jesus Christ. Also $700 to replace tie rods? Man I should be a mechanic.
>>
>>15651244
Shop rate for the tie rods was $79/hr and $129/hr for the lugs (dealer)
No way the mechanic is seeing more that 1/4 of that in his wallet.
>>
>>15649620
Your job isn't to buy parts faggot, it's to put them on.
>>
File: 1318614306745.jpg (259KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1318614306745.jpg
259KB, 853x480px
>>15651272
Independant mechanics make a killing though, you charge half what the stealership does and get to keep it all instead of $30 an hour

>mfw I made $400 in one hour by changing oil
>>
Paid $622 to have my carburetors cleaned on a $1500 motorcycle. Don't think it's possible to get fucked any harder than that. I plan on doing all my own maintenance moving forward...
>>
>>15651286
Yep, you keep it all, because operating a shop costs 0 dollars
>>
File: 1471394422161.gif (666KB, 300x340px) Image search: [Google]
1471394422161.gif
666KB, 300x340px
>>15648957
My transmission is shifting hard between gears and clicking when I shift between drive and reverse. Mech says my torque converter is fucked and it will cost 900 including labor. Am I getting jobbed?
>>
File: internet fight.gif (500KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
internet fight.gif
500KB, 400x297px
>>15651026

fuck you little dick white boi i'll fuck you up bitch. enjoy getting raped by muslim rapefugees yuropoor fag
>>
First time I went to the mechanic he charged me for a haunted air compressor and 3 gallons of blinker fluid.
>>
>>15651286
Might be OK if you work from home and do the work yourself.
The indie guy ($79 tie rod) had a kitted out 2 bay lease in a commercial district with decent parking and a 2 person staff.
$400 buck for an oil change is pretty steep. you'll probably piss a lot of people off by charging that and get a bad name for yourself.
>>
>>15651304

no torque converters are hard to replace you have to drop the whole transmission to replace plus the cost of new fluids/tc and labor thats a pretty decent price. hopefully thats all that is causing the clicking and hard shifting.

>>15648957
took my car in to get inspection at a stealership as it was overdue and i was also getting my lower intake manifold gaskets replaced, guy said he couldnt pass me for safety inspection because of my brakes and couldn't do them myself because i have no inspection he wouldn't even give me the temporary 10 day to fix it so he did it and charged me $100 a per side plus labor, it came out to almost as much as replacing my LIM gaskets ($311 and brakes were $265)

It's been 6000 miles and my front brakes need replacing as he didnt grease the slides/bolts and he probably didnt even grease the hub so it's gonna be a bitch to take it off.
>>
>>15651298
I make a lot more now than when I was a tech, shop costs are only about 1/3rd of my take

>>15651335
$400 for 6 oil changes friendo, when you've a pit, a lift and multiple jacks you can do 3 at once without an issue
>>
File: AE86.jpg (119KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AE86.jpg
119KB, 640x480px
>went to mechanics to replace a bent control arm
>quoted me about 60 dollars to fix it for labor
>get call 3 hours later
>"Uh yeah, we noticed that pretty much everything attached to your wheel is fucked and needs to be replaced"
>Quotes me 900 dollars
>Refuses to just put the control arm on. But offers me 250 for my car
>Sell it to a friend for 800 afterwards
>>
>What's the hardest that you've been fucked by a mechanic?

Oddly, never. I began learning to wrench before I got a drivers license and have outsourced almost nothing except one automatic transmission R&I with rebuild, alignments, exhaust work before I bought a welder and tire changes. I've wanted to become a mechanic since I was babby, so I did on aircraft and anything else I could lay hands on.

Do it, faggots. No one will love your ride like you do, and whatever you break learning will be repaid manyfold.
>>
>>15651304
>My transmission is shifting hard between gears and clicking when I shift between drive and reverse. Mech says my torque converter is fucked and it will cost 900 including labor. Am I getting jobbed?

Sounds decent if they fix the rest of the trans because if the torque converter is done the trans likely needs love and a front pump. Auto trans parts tend to die together, but 900 ain't bad.
>>
>bought 1984 toyota celica supra unseen
>shipped it over to my state
>went to the local mechanics to get it up to road worthy inspection standard
>quote for $1500 give or take, want us to go ahead?
>umm i'll get back to you
>mmm i think i'm getting ripped
>go onto toyota forums
>ask on there
>hey anon! come to my shop, i work at toyota stealership, i can help and we'll get a good deal from manger
>k, sounds good, thanks!
>drive over
>put it in
>mention anon n stuff, guy says he knows about it, we'll have a look and sort you out
>2 days later
>hey mate, come in and we'll talk you through it
>so, quote is 3k, plus you'll also need 4 new tyres plus a whole new exhaust system
>but i've talked with blahblah and he can help you out here and here and save you maybe around $300 or so
>yeah k, give me some time to think about it
>got in my car
>drove it straight to my local and happily paid him the $1700 i think it cost IIRC

fuck dealerships and fuck people on forums
>
>>
File: 1295703902561.jpg (46KB, 252x159px) Image search: [Google]
1295703902561.jpg
46KB, 252x159px
>>15651464
Forums are terrible, mainly because they're so insular so bad habits never get corrected

>Looking for old Triumph Spitfire
>Plenty on classifieds, all reasonably priced but none near me
>Go one forums to look for one closer
>Find a guy next town over
>Spend literally a week trading pictures and info back and forth, he keeps refusing to name a price, just says "reasonable"
>Finally manage to get him to give me an address to go look at it
>It's over 200 miles away, he moved and didn't update his profile
>Tell him I can't go that far
>"Mate I'll knock £200 off the price if you come get it tomorrow, only £8300 for you"
>mfw classifieds trend at less than £3K
>>
>>15651333
Audible laugh/10
>>
Went to go get flywheel resufraced machine shop broke the dowels while they were trying to remove them. Just my luck POS flywheel was discontinued and the only way to source was to search junkyards. Did find one till after 2 weeks and had to wait another 2 weeks for shipping. I hate shops, im going to go buy my own lathe.
>>
>>15651333
only engine i know that has a 3 gallon bf tank is the gallo-12. Nice car anon
>>
>>15650240
> 5 years
>>
File: DSCN0488.jpg (833KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0488.jpg
833KB, 2000x1500px
>Why aren't you repairing your own car yet?
Way ahead of ya, anon.
>>
>>15652323
because I didn't buy a tarbo opel vectra
>>
>>15649093
Fuuuuuuuuuuuug
>>
>>15652323
>parking lot mechanic
fucking hated living in an apartment so glad i have a garage now.
cant even fix my own car now though since its a 2015. with nothing wrong with it.
>>
>girlfriend's dad takes her 2011 Nissan Versa to mechanic shop for AC refill
>they supposedly check for leaks
>AC top up
>$200
>1 week later AC doesn't work again
>I take it back this time
>they diagnose the condenser as having a leak
>$450
>lolk
>I take it back, buy a $100 condenser from Amazon and $30 for AC gas top up kit
>fit it all
>easy peasy

And that's why you don't take your car to Slavic mechanics.
>>
>>15652280
Yep.

He went to that mechanic today.
The mechanic told him he ordered new parts and he's waiting for it to be delivered.
>>
>>15652545
After 5 years that car is royally fucked since there's no doubt in my mind that mechanic has barely moved the car, if at all.
>>
>>15649282

I'm looking at a toyota stealership site and it has an OEM alternator available for $200 or so
>>
kek this thread

I'm so glad my dad went to mechanic school, he can do pretty much everything
>>
>>15652571
>I'm looking at a toyota stealership site and it has an OEM alternator available for $200 or so

That's for individual sale to someone buying just the part. If the stealership buys the part from its parts department, it will be at the full official list price PLUS stocking fee at the dealership which may make that alternator higher priced since that $200 was probably the "let's get rid of old inventory items" price.
>>
>ac broke in 94 suburban
>kek, gm goodwrench lifetime labor and service warranty
>find a dealership that still honors warranty
>told it would be free as it should
>get a call later in day, told that some labor costs would be incurred as "the aftermarket electric radiator fans need to be removed to replace the expansion valve"
>lolok, know it sounds odd
>get car back, ac is gread but i paid $220, so i went back and showed the head kike the old undisturbed dust and wiring and zipties
>he looks over it and gives up, takes cc # to do refund
>the retards refunded the card AND sent a check

not too bad desu
>>
File: ported.jpg (77KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ported.jpg
77KB, 960x720px
never, I have never brought a car to a shop, I once pulled an engine in a gravel driveway. I had to put boards under the hoist and push the car back because it wouldn't roll. Rebuilt the engine in my laundry room and re installed it the next weekend. still running. Thank god I have a 2 car garage now.
>>
>>15652725

adding up all the other items on the page came close to 630 bones but it's not like EVERY sigle bracket and bolt needed a replacement in addition to the alternator itself
>>
>>15652733
>"the aftermarket electric radiator fans need to be removed to replace the expansion valve"

wow that's garbage. First of all your Suburban uses a fixed orifice tube, not a thermostatic expansion valve. Second, even if it did have one, it would be located far away from the radiator fans somewhere in the firewall area.

This kind of shit really bothers me. I would have told those ass-hats to go fuck themselves sideways.
>>
>>15652760
It's a good thing they didn't charge you for a new belt. That would also come with a re-tensioning adjustment fee as well. When I had the stealership replace my A/C compressor because they said it was leaking, they didn't charge me for a new belt, but they did charge me for adjusting the tensioner for the belt since they had to remove the belt and put it back on the pulleys. Crappy gimmick fee as expected of a stealership. They also charged me an examination fee on top of all that.

The stealership seems to have some sort of monthly or quarterly bonus incentive awards for the employees, so they all bought into the stealership model out of personal greed.
>>
I actually just got my car back from the mechanic, it was in there for over TWO MONTHS and the bill was only $500. fucking mint.

Everythingwentbetterthanexpected.mp2
>>
File: bimmer.jpg (1MB, 1785x1004px) Image search: [Google]
bimmer.jpg
1MB, 1785x1004px
>>15648957
>needed new brake switch, ordered a chink one
>was inverted (brakes dimmed when applied)
>mechanic charged me $100 for a oem switch (theyre $30 tops around local stores)
>charged me for new bulb i didn't need
>charged me for turning tie rod for some reason no explanation
>raped a student of $400

at this point i got fucking angry, so I started doing 100% of the work on my car myself, brake rotors/pads, maintenance fluids, coil overs etc, only have to go to a mechanic for my warrant of fitness which is every 6 months. They stopped trying me for shit when they saw work had been done.

Kind of got me into cars to be honest. Didn't turn out all bad.
>>
Had to get my volvo alligned after replacing a joint on the lower control arm, get call back from shop telling me that the joint on the other side was not tightened properly so they didnt bother with the allignement as it would go out of it once the joint was tightened. Asked if they couldn't just tighten it there and this was the reply.

>You didn't mention thart you wanted it tightened so we didn't do it, the car is now of the lift and if you want us to tighten it then you'll have to reschedule for another time, also we would recomment replacing the control arm because it probably is damaged after having that joint loose.

Got quoted 600€ for just the control arm replacement, told them I'd do it myself and come pick the car up. Had to pay 50€ just to get my keys back because they "diagnosed" a fault for me.

Ended up replacing both control arms, joints and bushings and that cost me only 280€, after that the allignement was fine so apparently that loose balljoint was the cause of my bad allignement.

Never going back to that place.
>>
>>15650760
For real. Its hard enough to get a dealer to replace an engine under warranty. Im going to go with that guy is a lying faggot.
>>
My first car was old and russian so it had howling sound from the final gear. I purchased pinion and ring gears and took it all to mechanics. When I got my car back, the howl still was there, just a different tone. I disassembled gearbox at home and found that those idiots just replaced parts without adjustment. I did everything according to servise manual, with all measurements and proper adjusting washers. It was not so difficult even for first timer.
>>
Never been screwed over by the garage i use but the thing that they do which annoys me is that the old guy in the office wont give a price out until the work is done, so normally I have to talk to the mechanics first because they give me an idea of the price in terms of the parts
>>
>>15652858

Do you live in nz cunt
>>
>>15652553
No way, the mechanic probably dailies that car. That's why its never repaired
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 582x582px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 582x582px
>>15651436
>19 y/o
>currently only have a permit
>going to class for HVAC/Boilers
Is there a way to get my foot in the door for becoming a mechanic without going to some expensive college?
>>
>>15652745
Wish I could pull my truck engine at the house I live at. But we have no room, I have no lift, and my engine weighs over 1000lbs
>>
>>15654144
Learn how to change brakes, oil, other fluids, spark plugs and shit. Put that you have experience doing those things on your resume. Make up some garage you worked for that went out of business. Apply at every garage you can find and tell them you want more responsibility.
>>
>>15652122
>not getting the gallo 24
>>
>>15652417
I hope you pulled a vacuum to get all the moisture out. Otherwise, water plus R-134a creates hydrofluoric acid which will eat though everything.
>>
Spent 900 dollars getting pinion seals replaced and tie rod ends replaced at a ford stealership. The porters backed my car into a pole too. Never again
>>
>>15649657
if a shop pays for a part, then they deserve to make a profit on it....you ever bring a steak to the restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? I didnt think so.....
>>
>>15648999
Nice trips
>>15649016
Shakira trips don't lie
>>
>>15654144
start as a shop clean up guy/go-fer boy and learn everything you can inbetween dumping garbage cans and sweeping up. or apply at a jiffy lube type shop that trains it techs and hires people with no experirnce
>>
Just needed an exhaust flange replaced. Cut and weld.

$300. Fuck you.
>>
>>15654521
If he even bought an "AC gas top up kit" I'm sure he has no fucking idea what vacuuming out the system is.
>>
>>15652323
its easier if you have a 30 x45 foot shop with engine hoist trust me
>>
>>15654576
well of course it is captain obvious but some people don't have that and just need to get buy with what they have got. the guy in the pic has limited resources yet probably get's more done than a lot of people who they say 'work' on their cars and have a shop full of tools and a ramp or lift
>>
>>15648957
My bf is a mechanic and he fucks me pretty hard every night desu
>>
File: 1443476923611.png (168KB, 806x415px) Image search: [Google]
1443476923611.png
168KB, 806x415px
>>15649103
It is worth it for moments like this.
>>
>>15648957
One time I let a crackhead to a engine swap on my car and he forgot to put in a pulley. The fan transmission burned up and burned the engine up.

Of course I simply stopped going to crackheads to do mechanical work. The legitimate mechanics in my town are all A+.
>>
>>15649232
There is no difference pulling a trans off on the floor vs on a lift. You're just a tard that doesnt know how to work on a car.
>>
>>15651464
>fuck dealerships and fuck people on forums
There's lots of good people on forums, BUT you said you talked to a stealership employee. Of course they will promote and defend stealerships. Lots of stealerships say their employees are not on "commission" but they have replaced commissions with something else. Those are monthly performance bonuses and quarterly performance bonuses if they were able to obtain every monthly goal in that quarter. Thus, the service advisors in a stealership will always cram inspections onto your bill, refuse you service for things that don't optimize their dollar per shop time profits, etcetera.

As an example of how petty it gets, my local stealership discourages in warranty free oil changes with new cars as long as possible. That's because they have more than enough normal non-warranty business that they make more money on. In warranty work gets smaller compensation from GM. But out of warranty work means they charge you, and thus get to charge a larger fee. So the stealership makes more profit. Stealership defenders will try to deflect the point by saying the mechanics don't make more per hour. That is deception at work. We are talking about the stealership not individual mechanics. But the mechs and service writers do get the benefit of the monthly goal bonus because the stealership was able to have 95% or more of its oil changes be out of warranty type work. Or whatever award criteria that stealership uses instead of 95%.
>>
File: 405.jpg (93KB, 580x325px) Image search: [Google]
405.jpg
93KB, 580x325px
>>15652877
Nah we had a lot of work done on my family's Nissans (mom, dad, brother drive Nissans) for free. Not all the work, but a good amount of stuff. The cars did have to stay at the dealership for as long as 2-3 weeks though, like for the replacement engine in my brother's sentra

I went with my Dad a couple times and he always goes to the same guy to do anything, and always brings him a bottle of liquor.
>>
>>15652323

I would buy a floor jack and a couple of axle stands, but I have literally no place to store them.
>>
>exhaust manifolds shot and cracked
>welded onto downpipe to cat
>don't know how to weld so I take it to knowmy muscle car dude
>ask over phone if he's cool doing long tube headers
>"what about smog?"
>I know a Mexican dude who'll pass me
>"okay cool"
>drive car down there and start making plans
>"I don't wanna do long tubes on this thing because it needs the stock manifold in order to be smog compliant, can't be braking the law in my shop"
>okay, fuck everything you said on the phone then.
>ask if they can do my mufflers since it's there, maybe flowmasters or cherry bombs
>"well call u in 2 days"
>don't hear back for 4 days so I call
>"Yea we've been super busy but expect a call Monday"
>next Friday rolls around
>"good news, manifolds are done. I'm gonna tune up your carb, air fuel and idle speed, and dial your timing in. This baby will be really purring then"
>soooooooo about the mufflers...
>"hey man your cars illegal as all fuck, Im gonna get it back to you tomorrow all fixed up and running perfectly, I just don't want to be caught working on it s'all".

So basically it took 2 weeks just to get some exhaust manifolds put in. Didn't really get fucked though because the manifolds, the welding and install, plus timing and carburetor tune all came out to 200 bucks which is awesome, but fuck man to get jerked around that bad from what was originally said to what was actually done sucked. And 2 WHOLE WEEKS. I could've just sawed the pipes myself, installed long tubes and then paid some mexican to weld it for me at a factory or something under the table
>>
>>15649201
How pathetic you must feel having to get your girlfriend to repair your car
>>
>>15654536
lol holy fuck
>>
>>15654536
But seriously, has anyone ever tried? Like go into an ocharley's and give them a steak. Say "the chef is perfect at cooking a steak, but your cuts aren't as good as this, would he mind?"
>>
>>15648957
TFW have a reliable mechanic who won't ass fuck me
>>
>>15656799
Same here. His name is Me, though. Kind of weird saying " hey me can you fix this for me?"
>>
>>15649282
You could have bought the tools and the alternator and done it yourself for half that price. Jesus fuck I'm in the wrong line of work. Shit, you probably could have just rebuilt the alternator.
>>
>>15651464
>Toyota Celica Supra
>>
>>15657314
He's not wrong.

Educate yourself
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.