[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, I have a Ford Windsor 302 V8 5.0 out of my dad's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1460953468387.jpg (194KB, 1178x591px) Image search: [Google]
1460953468387.jpg
194KB, 1178x591px
Hey /o/, I have a Ford Windsor 302 V8 5.0 out of my dad's old Thunderbird. They're trying to get rid of the car and offered me the engine (it's automatic so I don't want the transmission).

What can I swap it into? I want to drop it into a coupe of some sort, but I know there are wiring issues and general space issues that can get in the way of that. Really I just want a project since my last car lit on fire. So any ideas for a shell I could use?

Apparently they were used in Mustangs but I may be wrong about that. They also only have 140 HP. This engine is carburated and I heard they're difficult to tune with FI, so how do I go about "boosting" a carbed engine?

tl;dr
>got ford 302, need compatible shell for it
>how to boost carbed engine

pls no >pushrod maymay
>>
fox
nos
>>
If that is from the Thunderbird "sport" models, the block is useless unless you put in the H.O. valve train. I went through the exact same shit back in the day when I had one.

If you're going as far as putting in the H.O. parts you might as well send the block out for cleaning/inspection/restoration and then throw a bunch of parts at it to make it a "real" 302 (around 320hp and 300 torque would be decently reliable). That block can be dropped into Lincoln LS VII's, Mercury Cougars, Mustangs, Broncos, etc. as long as they offered a version of the vehicle with a V8 around the same timeframe as that engine block you should be fine.
>>
also ford explorer heads
>>
>>15646012
Pretty sure 1966 cars with crappy non-everything you're talking about were a lot of fun out of that old block.

OP.
That motor has been thrown into everything from ranger pickups to Volkswagens to boats to sand rails to shopping carts.

Pick a direction and flow with it.
>>
>>15646153
1966 was before smog, Anon.
>>
>What can I swap it into?
the trash
>>
>>15645949
Take the transmission too and sell it for a few hundred. It'll be easier to remove.
>>
>>15646012

couple of questions if you're still in the thread

not sure if it's a sport model but it's an 84 elan. Most of my experience is with fuel injected BMWs so I don't know much about these old american ones. Also, turns out the engine is indirect-fuel injected, not carburated.

what is H.O. valve train? I googled it and not much came up, does it stand for high-output? How much would a valvetrain like that cost?

>throw a bunch of parts at it

like what? I'm guessing a new camshaft, forged pistons, glow plugs etc, but what else would get it to 320 hp?

>>15646153

I'm liking the idea of a 70s mustang as a gift back to my old man or my mom since they both like classic american muscle, but I'm wondering if an engine from 84 will "match" with a car from the 70s.

>>15646167

made me kek

>>15646213

I'll mention it to them, though they don't like the idea of parting cars out
>>
>>15646362
H.O. had roller lifters and the 351w firing order, pedestal mount rockers instead of studs.
Also newer head design.
Really not as big of a deal as other anon made it out to be.

Engine will bolt up to everything in the older mustangs. Transmissions, accessory brackets will all lineup. Intake may need to be swapped of course but more than likely just the carb/throttle body swap.. And depending on what state you're in, you might need to find all the original smog crap to pass inspection.
You don't need 320hp.
Mustangs have been lighting up tires with less than 200 horses for 50 years.
>>
>>15645949
Figure out what pistons you have, and if you have a good clean motor with good compression.

Then put a matching heads/cam/intake/carb setup on it, can't really go wrong. Also, 4r70w kind of sucks like any auto from the time, but its better than nothing and you could build it up after it goes poof on ya. Autos with a properly setup torque convertor are mean with the right tire and rear end gear.
>>
What year is it? If it's a non roller block just scrap it. Either way the heads and cam are junk.
>>
>>15645949
you stick it in a capri of course you silly cunt
>>
Miata with an LS
>>
>>15650890
Fag car
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.