[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a car is parked up with the engine off does it hurt the transmission

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (97KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 480x480px
If a car is parked up with the engine off does it hurt the transmission to change gears without the clutch (like when you're walking around a stealer seeing what the gearboxes feel like)?
>>
>>15642273
no
>>
>>15635760
>>
>>15642273
It's possible.
>>
>>15642304
I don't know
>>
>>15642409
Can you repeat the question?
>>
Only if the car is parked down
>>
Perhaps
>>
>>15642416
You're not the boss of me now
>>
Could be bad on the synchronization. I imagine if you're real slow and use the clutch, it'd be negligible.
>>
>>15642620
It's only harmfull if you don't let the clutch come up in neutral like required
>>
This is the dumbest thread on /o/.
>>
>>15642829
>how to not fuck up car
>second most expensive life buy
>dumb
>>
>>15642620
>>15642736
>>15642840

ITT: people who have never been inside a transmission.
>>
>>15642273
You should press the clutch the first time you take it out of gear and put it back in. After that, the weight of the car will be on the parking brake and the gears will be synchronized.
>>
>>15642852
>the gears will be synchronized.

not all of them. just don't push too hard into any gear, and keep the clutch depressed the entire time so that the input shaft can rotate a bit if it needs to.
>>
>>15642861
Most cars have first synchronized. New cars even have reverse synchronized.
>>
>>15642848
I have, actually. I rebuild transmissions and engines the way the book tells me too. I'm thinking of the physics behind the tranny. Rubbing metal with metal isn't good. A car that is off would have an unlubricated transmission so being delicate is very important. But someone with a large ego would rather insult instead of correct.
>>
It causes a very small amount of gear/synchro wear, but not a lot

You're basically smashing two gears together until they mesh. With the clutch engaged, you have the resistance of the clutch.
>>
What cars are you looking at?
Next car I get is probably going to be a late 90s-early 2000s mustang. Not a fan of Ford but I like that body style.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.