[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to paint fake wood panels? >Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

What is the best way to paint fake wood panels?
>Pic related is the interior of my Toyota Avalon
not the best interior, but the fake wood really brings it down these days
Whats the best way to refinish the interior to a dark grey/black that wont look too bad, but also wont cost a fortune?
>>
>>15634160
Also plz no carbon fiber wrap... The car is a boat

>and no, it doesnt have ecoboost
>>
It's called vinyl wrap grandpa
>>
>>15634160
Spray paint in your color of choice. Extra glossy so it doesn't look like shit.
>>
>>15634160
Plastidip
>>
>>15634190
Would spray paint come out well or would it just flake away?
>>
>>15634331
it flakes off pretty easily on stuff like that.
>>
>>15634160
Assuming the "lacquer" on the fake wood is polyurethane or some other plastic-y material:

For harder plastics, I'd try a plastic primer spray can (Rust-Oleum and Krylon both make one), color coat, clear coat. Bake in the sun for a couple days to harden and deodorize before re-installing.

If the material is softer, I'd get the best matching vinyl dye color I could get (there aren't many) and spray it.

In either case you want the substrate to be as clean as you can possibly make it. Roughing it up with some very fine sandpaper can help with adhesion also.

If either paint fails to stick to the fake wood gloss, I'd probably try to sand through it to whatever is underneath the fake wood, hoping that I don't have to take off too much material to get there... then repeat on the bare plastic.

I suggest testing with the steering wheel bits first, since that will get handled a lot, and do the rest once you find something that works.
>>
>>15634160
Cut off your dangly bits.

>Streamlined
>No longer need to wear pants
>Lighter so you can do more pull ups
>Special privileges for being weird
>>
>>15634436
that interior is a higher model, only thing I dont have is the wheel ironically
the door handles are like that (including the rear where they are the only bit of wood) so I may do those first because if I fuck them up, they are in the back atleast

however thanks for the info, they are definitely a solid plastic.. thin ones at that, so sandpaper worries me
>>
>>15634160
Retard here. Could you not just go find an Avalon at the scrapyard that has regular plastic interior and swamp the panels out? Couldnt be much more expensive than the paint.
>>
>>15634570
yeah I could, I'm actually going to a scrapyard for my girlfriends car, may as well have a look while I'm there

although the stock trim is the same really light like the rest of the dash from the OP, which looks garbage imo
>>
>>15634160
>someone says knock on wood
>someone immediately raps on the fake ass wood in a car
God this triggers me for no reason
>>
>>15634160
just dont go black, go dark grey, black actually really stands out badly in grey interiors
go a similar grey to the climate control or the carpet
>>
>order some vinyl sheets in color of choice
>remove dash pieces you want to apply vinyl to
>apply vinyl to appropriate pieces with heat gun
>re attach to dash

You now have a matte color of your choice for <$50 that doesn't look and feel like fucking spray paint or plastic wood
>>
>>15634160
The fake wood looks better than any shit you'll do to "enhance" your interior.
>>
>>15634331
>>15634343
it wont flake away if you do a good job. you gotta sand down the plastic/material a bit so the primer can bite, sand down the primer till its smooth then apply ~3 coats of paint then ~2 clearcoat for a legit paint job. if thats too much then just sand it, paint, clearcoat
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.