[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should an Audi be capable of oversteer? Bought a 2004 A4 "Sport

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (728KB, 2320x1552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
728KB, 2320x1552px
Should an Audi be capable of oversteer?

Bought a 2004 A4 "Sport Quattro" around 5 months ago after my 328i took a shit. It's the 3.0 V6 (which will blow up soon I assume) which makes a rather underwhelming 220bhp considering it weighs I'm excess of 1700kg.

As far as I'm aware the car is bone stock, it was bought off a 50ish year old man, so I don't think he'd be the kind of guy to mess with sway bars and suspension to get it to slide. The only modification I've done is fit 4 235/40/18 alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (I know a guy who works at a tyre place otherwise I wouldn't dream of spending so much on tyres for such a cheap car).

I've never owned an Audi before, and having heard horror stories about how they are understeering barges I was surprised to find mine is quite tail happy. Driving quite aggressively on twisty country roads it's quite easy to provoke the back end to come out, even by just carrying speed through a corner rather than being a maniac with the right foot. It doesn't 'rotate' like my BMW did, rather, it seems to crab across the road in a 4 wheel drift which you intuitively correct with steering input, though I'm sure if you just held the steering straight and buried the throttle the car would pull itself straight rather than spin out like a RWD car.

My question is, is this normal? I'm slightly worried the car is damaged in some way as I don't understand why a car with such a bad reputation for fun drives like this. The AWD system most certainly is working as it will do doughnuts all day in a gravel car park and is unstoppable in the snow.

Sorry for the life story but I felt it was necessary for people to understand the predicament :3
>>
>>15562129
Your tires are shot. It should be ploughing every corner.
>>
>>15562150
The tyres were bought less than 2 months ago, they are miles away from the wear bars.

I forgot to mention that it only oversteers in the damp and wet. Only way I've been able to get it to slide in the dry is by being an idiot, i.e. hairpin turn, second gear, foot to the floor and throw the steering on violently.
>>
>>15562166
Then your tires are shit and can't handle water.
>>
>>15562186
Did I fall for the "Michelins are good" meme?
>>
>>15562325
No one ever claimed your poverty level Michelins were good. It's the Pilot Super Sports that everyone fellates, and even then they're only loved for their performance as a daily driver tire and not as a streetable track tire.
>>
>>15562129
pretty much anything can oversteer if you're good enough
>>
>>15562166
>I forgot to mention that it only oversteers in the damp and wet.
Literally every car with a little trail braking.
>>
>>15562325
Pilot Sport 4's are literally the best rain tyre Michelin make homie.
>>
>>15562468
Shill pls fuck off.
>>
It's another VAG trash thread.
>>
This reminds me of the time that notamiata faggot thought his car was broken because his "tire marks were uneven length"
>>
>>15562129
Are the tires the same specifications as the ones from the manufacturer? If you've put oversized tires on it then that messes up the calculations that determine the torque split within the awd system, so it might be working in slippery conditions and at lower speeds, but on dry pavement it may be sending more power than normal to the rear axle
>>
yeah, its like that anon

my 05 S4 does that too, even with the v8 in the front. very easy to control but honestly not that exciting.

all quattros prior to the B8 were 50:50 in terms of power splitting, after that it changed to 40:60 i think.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.