[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /O/ explain shifting without syncromesh/ double clutching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Can /O/ explain shifting without syncromesh/ double clutching to me. I get the procedure(kinda) but I don't understand why.
>>
>>15554964
>I get the procedure(kinda) but I don't understand why.

As a Mercedes Mechanic I can field this question.

Shifting is vital to making the car go.

You're welcome.
>>
>>15554971
>extent of mercedes mechanic knowledge
>>
>>15554971
OP here, plz explain. And cars are the things with wheels right?
>>
>>15554983
I have discovered that the rubber spinloops make a funny thup thup noise when you hit them with the breaker bar.

I'll report more as I discover it.
>>
Engine turn one speed, transmission turn another speed.

Clutch engage make engine and transmission turn same speed.

Clutch disengage make engine turn at different speed than transmission.

Blip throttle while clutch make engine speed pick up so that engine and transmission speed match.
>>
>>15554986
Cars may or may not be the things with the wheels. I have heard some of the oddly shaped beings called "advisors" refer to a wheel-less vehicle as a car as well, but I have also heard them refer to them as "Areyoufinishedyet" and "Ijustneedyoutodothisonething".

These "advisors" appear to survive on a diet of badly described customer complaints and self loathing.

I have discovered if you ignore them, they leave and turn into "manager" who then proceeds to get into an argument with "foreman".

"Foreman" seems to be the only one capable of communicating with the "Mechanics" and the "Advisors" appear to fear it.
>>
>>15554964
The reason you double clutch is cos you have no synchros so you have to match clutch and gear speed with the engine speed.

Cars nowadays have synchronous so it does the speed matching for you.

There's a more manual manual, you youngins wouldn't remember. That's a joke i was born when autos where more common than manual, but i was born in a country where automatic wasn't even an idea.

So first you clutch to get out of gear, in this time the fly wheel starts rotating faster than the clutch.
So you drop clutch NOT IN GEAR to allow the fly wheel and clutch to spin at the same speed.
Then you lift clutch put into gear and do as you normally would.

In a synchronized manual, the synchronous use screw like things to match the gear speeds as you put it into gear, meaning you don't grind your gears as they turn at a different rate.
>>
>>15554964
matching the speed of the imput shaft to the output shaft in a transmision
>>
>>15555381
That being said, if you have a higher-mileage car, double-clutching correctly can extend the life of your synchromesh.
>>
>>15555392
This is true as well.

But double clutch improperly and you damage more than just the synchros.

This is why i love manuals, all the responsibility is in my hands.
>>
>>15555381
>>15555392
A more proper way to look at it is input shaft speed and output shaft speed. A clutch is only for beginning from a stop. But a syncromesh transmisison has a clutch on every gear so you can drive like a newb.

OP, buy a bike or drive a big rig, or burn out a syncro and you'll learn. Or use google.
>>
File: 1355210065202.gif (1MB, 213x230px) Image search: [Google]
1355210065202.gif
1MB, 213x230px
>>15554964
i was syncromeshing my girfriend so hard one time she spit tranny fluid all over my face.

Good times.
>>
>>15555008
>Clutch engage make engine and transmission turn same speed.

Wrong
>>
>>15555381
So that's how it works.

I work as a delivery driver for FedEx and shifting from 2-3 always requires pressing the clutch twice.
>>
>>15556382
>2-3 always requires pressing the clutch twice.
Sounds like some worn synchros.

What vehicle is it? And since I've always wondered, what's the mileage on it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tescWzTlGQ0
>>
>>15555381
OP here, this is a what I needed. I found a vid last night that helped too. Trying to learn how to drive an old mg(no syncros) without hurting the car and looking like an idiot. I'll practice in my car first. Thanks
>>
>>15555381
On this note, if I use the term "Crash gearbox" in America, will people understand what I mean?
Or is this just a British slang term?
>>
>>15557470
Never heard this before mate
>>
>>15557513
Ah. It's a gearbox with no synchromesh, so you need to rev match or double-clutch when you're shifting. Virtually unheard of now, I guess.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_140921.jpg (3MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_140921.jpg
3MB, 4000x2992px
Have you ever hopped on a bike?
From 2nd up you don't even need to pull the clutch
You just use the throttle to rapidly change engine speed
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.