[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Car has 80k miles. >Never has had a transmission fluid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: ATFs.jpg (109KB, 1177x700px) Image search: [Google]
ATFs.jpg
109KB, 1177x700px
>Car has 80k miles.
>Never has had a transmission fluid change
>Almost never driven hard
>Driving is 90% on the city

Do I need a transmission fluid change?

Is it something I can realistically do in my driveway?
>>
Sorta kinda depends. What are you driving? What kind of transmission does it have? Some can drain all the fluid out, some have to drain maybe half the fluid and then be topped off before driving a bit and then repeating until it's all nice and clean.

Whatcha drivin', OP?
>>
My advice is not to flush any old ATF because the transmission may eat itself without the pieces of clutch in the fluid, if you're out of schedule with the OEM dates.

If you're barely out, go ahead.

If you're way out of schedule to be changing it, don't fuck with it.
>>
>>15551133
2008 Mazda 3
4 speed auto.
>>
>>15551119
Get on the google box.

Type in your car, and year and search 'Maintenance schedule'

If your car like mine needs a flush every 30,000. Do it. Then write it down.

If not. Don't worry about it.

Why did you make a thread for this, you massive retard?

And yes a tranny change can be done on a drive way. I did it in my CRV and Corolla.

For both of these cars, i jack them up, put a pan underneath, drain the fluid. Fill as much as i drained.

then i start the car while it's on the jack. Leave it about 30 minutes while i watch a episode of mlp. Come back, turn off drain and fill again.

Do that 3 more times, and i've done something the dealer said would cost 300 dollars, for about 70 dollars worth of HONDA GENUINE fluid. and 5 mlp episodes.

Corrola, you leave the car running, while draining and adding. Do it for about 10 liters of TOYOTA GENUINE and you did a procedure they asked me 350 for.

NEVER PUT THE THING INTO GEAR IF YOU HAVE DRAINED FLUID! YOU WILL FUCK UP THE BANDS AND OR THE CLUTCHES!
>>
op here.

Transmission is VERY smooth and solid most of the time but sometimes I feel like it "slips" when trying to grab second gear.
>>
>>15551189
>Why did you make a thread for this, you massive retard?
/o/ is usually more informative than blogspam pages or ricer forums (the only thing you find when googling this sort of stuff).
>>
>>15551144
I guess it depends on the tranny.

Either my 96 Stagea was raped to shit and back or the fluid was never done. It smelled like 5/5 setting toast, but I flushed it with Castrol AFX Dex III and it perked up like a motherfucker (170km).

So more 1st to 2nd rpm holds taking 4 seconds, 2 to 3 like a CVT. I'll admit this is my only experience with an AT, though.
>>
>>15551119
>Is it something I can realistically do in my driveway?
Depends on the transmission/car. Could be a piece of piss, could be a cunt of a job.
I used to be able to do a partial change on the F4A51 Autotragic I had in my old car.
5L out, 5L in (Held about 8L I believe)
ZF in my current car is a "Sealed unit". Have to drop the pan, no sump plug.
I just get it done at TAFE/trade school. Bring in the fluid and filter, let some 3rd years do it for free labor, while I get to sit back and watch.
>>
>>15551144
This is fuddlore, while yes changing tranny fluid (stay away from flushes of any kind). If changing tranny fluid kills your trans your trans was already about to blow.
>>
It's quite easy to do yourself, you just may not actually be able to do it yourself (i.e you may need a friend to rev the engine or do some crazy thing while you're changing it depending on the car)
>>
>>15552918
>If changing tranny fluid kills your trans your trans was already about to blow.

This is correct.
>>
>>15552946
Finally someone gets it. The reason so many trannies blow after a flush is because people only flush em when they feel it shifting funny anyways.

Like I said though avoid flushes, use OE spec fluid (or just get OE fluid). Drop the pan, new filter and gasket. Fill it up, drive it for a few weeks, check the fluid if it's still not as pink as you want it (because you can't drain most torque converters you can't get all the fluid out) drain and fill it again.
>>
Valvoline does this I think.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.