[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

06 pathfinder...transmission is slipping and then working randomly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (79KB, 562x421px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 562x421px
06 pathfinder...transmission is slipping and then working randomly (in any gear) replaced 4 qts of fluid and also added some Lucas slip stop. Worked for a few min but started doing it again. No codes or lights. What do?
>>
>>15500333
If it's an auto tranny, someone was mean to the transmission and has worn out some bands and or clutches.

Don't bother working on an automatic yourself, it's EXTREMELY PAINFUL.

Same thing happened to my 2003 corrola.

If it's manual, clutch is worn, can be done yourself if you have some handy skills.

If CVT. It shouldn't be happening at all, unless the band chains are fucked. Take it to Nissan and shell out the 3000 for a new CVT.
>>
>>15500333
Your radiator/trans cooler busted and its sending coolant into your trans
>>
>>15500382
No signs of coolant in the trans fluid. >>15500372
It's an auto. Fluid was blackish and smelled burned. Not too much suspended metal was in the fluid either.
>>
File: 1437199060697.png (102KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
1437199060697.png
102KB, 450x443px
>>15500372
ur a big guy
>>
>>15500437
>Smelled blackish and was burned.

OK. So that is caused by excessive heat inside the tranny.

Drain the tranny pan, then removed the tranny fluid pan.

Remove the filter and examine whats inside, see if anything out of the ordinary is in there.

Then, flush your system. I mean a good flush not just change fluid, most of the fluid is in the torque converter. Cos yknow fluid coupling and all that.

Anyway, read up on how your system should be flushed, some cars are turned on and idled while fluid is added in the top while it drains out the bottom. Others may be different some require pumps. Flush through a good 10 quarts, before replacing fliter, seal up the pan and filling it again.

This wont really fix the issue, which i think from what you've told us is the bands and or clutches wearing out. But it will help and will help diagnose it better especially since you have the tranny filter to examine thoroughly, but also since a flushed system would be more noticbale for change and all that.

It may be better for you to replace the filter but not flush the system since that is expensive. Instead you may want to remove filter and pan, replace filter and pan with silicone gaskit. Then take it to a auto tranny mechanic to replace the bands and clutches.

How does it feel when you drive? Does it jerk when accelerating? And it's in all gears? When did it start? Suddenly or gradually?
>>
>>15500671
Lots of great info thanks!
It happened a few months ago, put some stop slip in it and it worked fun up until yesterday. So I figured I'd only change about half of the fluid cause I didn't want to remove all of the suspended metal (if that was the only thing gripping the clutch). I'm not the only owner, bought from a car lot. I know history, so not surprised if some asshole didn't treat it very well. I'll drop the pan and change the filter but definitely will get it to a transmission shop to have them take a look. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>15500671
Also yes it does jerk, like it's going in and out of gear. And it does happen in all gears
>>
>>15500735
That's definitely clutch and or bands.

See the way a auto tranny works is there are planetary gears with a sun gear, planet gears and ring gear of course.

Unlike a manual where there is usually just a row of gears.

When the automatic shifts goes into gear, it selects two gears to connect the input (engine) and output (wheels), these gears are connected to the drive train by the use of clutch bands (kinda like drum brakes) and clutches.

When it shifts it selects different gears to lock in place and different ones to not. When it is one to one, all the gears lock so that the transmission rotates at the same speed as the input.

Anyway, i think a major clutch has worn out in your tranny. My corrola only lost it's first band clutch, which meant it only jerked in first, yours seemed to have fucked it's drive clutch or band.
>>
>>15500333
iirc it's possible the cooler broke inside and got engine oil inside it.
Known issue with those
>>
>>15500333
It's fucked. Time to get a new one.

>>15500372
it's a conventional automatic.
>>
>>15500372
>EXTREMELY PAINFUL.

4u
>>
>>15501167
was there a TSB?
>>
>>15500333
Get a factory service manual and follow the diagnostic guide. You're welcome. That Nissan enthusiast website whose name I forgot usually has them.
>>
Have you considered that maybe what you're experiencing is a misfire? Lots of people confuse them with transmission problems.
>>
>>15503904
Don't cylinder misfires usually produce codes, tho? Ever time I've ever experienced them they've always produced a code.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.