[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

aight guys. Looking at buying a track car/ daily to work on but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: berkmr1-blurred.jpg (169KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
berkmr1-blurred.jpg
169KB, 1024x683px
aight guys.
Looking at buying a track car/ daily to work on but be ready to drive immediately so i can take my off-road wheeler off the road (mind the pun) and finish removing rust and building it.
Options i have given myself are either a Gen 2 Toyota MR2 Turbo or a 2JZ Turbo Toyota Supra. I know they are apples and oranges but the MR2 would be an amazing track car and great for the ranges in my area but undriftable where as the Supra would make up for that but lose some of the quirks of the MR2 (and make a fair bit more power). Not 100% on the shape either.
Opinions? stories?
>>
>>15483351
No such thing as a daily driver track car

Maybe a daily driver you can take to the track, if so buy a sports car (could be as simple as a used FRS/BRZ or S2000) made in the last 5 years and only do suspension/brake/tire mods and bolt ons that won't affect reliability.
>>
Almost got killed in a mr2 when the back end swung out wildly and broadside a tree
>>
>>15483361
Prefer something force fed.
>>15483407
are they really that bad if they lose traction?
>>
>>15483540
>are they really that bad if they lose traction?
Not really, you have to be prepared for it but it's no 911 or V8 Esprit. The issue is that it's 10 times cheaper than those and people hop in them out of their old Civic, expecting obedience.
>>
>>15483407
That's because you were braking midcorner you idiot. That's just driver error.

If you buy a mid-engined car, understand how to drive it. Unlike most cars, you can not brake in a turn. Your brake before the turn and then accelerate through the turn. You need to keep the momentum of the car in the middle of the car. When you brake all that momentum shifts forward and the rear steps out and rotates much quickly because there's more weight in the back.
>>
>>15483351
To me it sounds like all you need is a E36/46 BMW
>>
File: p5.jpg (232KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
p5.jpg
232KB, 1100x733px
>>15483351
you'll probably have more raw fun in an MR2 due to its somewhat scary MR setup and extreme uniqueness. I'm an SW20 owner actually, AMA
+ In the special snowflake department
+ much much cheaper than a mk4 supra
+ much much lighter and likely more nimble than the mk4 while still having a strong 3SGTE. (did you know tom castrols supra and smokey nagata used a 3SGTE in their supras?)
+ less of a JDM fuccboi fanbase and most people with break necks wondering what it is
+ would probably much rather track an mr2 and not feel bad vs beating a mk4 up

-snap oversteer from bad driving, this car is unforgivable but rewarding in the opposite sense
-2 seater and doesn't have much space (you'll have enough space for groceries and a weekend trip though as you have a frunk and big enough trunk to fit a small person)
>>
Why not the MR-S? It's a much better track car.
>>
>>15484298
Not OP but please tell me about maintenance repairs on this car. Spark plugs, oil filter, timing belt,...
Is it a work-friendly design or just another shitbox hell?
>>
File: engine01.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
engine01.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>15484391
maintenance is not bad at all, very doable but you'll have to be on a stand or flexible to really dig into the engine bay for more involved things
>>
>>15484424
Thanks.

> not bad at all, very doable
Doesn't sound very convincing but I guess every MR layout will be harder to work with.
Actually the pic is really intriguing, only timing belt seems to be a bitch.
>>
>>15484467

Timing belts are kind of annoying in most transverse cars.
>>
>>15484371
This.
>>
>>15484298
It's worth noting that if OP is in the US he won't be able to get an MR2 with the 3SGTE, the US market MR2s were only sold with the 5S-FE which made 135bhp at best.
>>
File: IMG_20160519_012722.jpg (20KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160519_012722.jpg
20KB, 230x300px
>>15485334
USDM MR2 turbo owner here. nah, they were sold here but not many
>>
File: based_toyotas.jpg (304KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
based_toyotas.jpg
304KB, 1024x683px
>>15483351
>tfw want both
>tfw dont want to sell my 240sx for an mr2
>>
>>15484371
this, the sw20 is sexy as fug, but the mrs is much lighter even with a hard top added, and handles much better. in addition they are somewhat under appreciated and can be had for reasonable prices
>>
>>15486303
>don't want to sell 240
why not?
>>
>>15483540
Something Force Fed and 20+ years old won't be a "daily driveable track car"

Be realistic. Look at a Focus/Fiesta ST or used 2008+ GTI.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.