[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /o/, I went and looked at this '98 LS400. Thing is in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (99KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 675x900px
Sup /o/, I went and looked at this '98 LS400. Thing is in near perfect shape and drives great. New tires and timing belt/water pump done at 93k. It's fully loaded with every option. They want $5300 but I think I can get them below 5k. Anything to look out for on these cars? I know the 1UZ is supposedly indestructible.
>>
>>15481384
Forgot to mention. 140k miles. I think that should be fine for this thing but idk
>>
Couch on wheels. Get it, OP
>>
There's nothing in those cars that can break. Even the transmission is solid.
>>
>>15481384
$5,300 is decent for an LS. I fucking love those cars. Check your local craigslist listing for deals. Also, bring car to autozone for a free engine check and battery check to make sure there are no hidden codes or alternator issues.

Did you do a VIN check as well? They do them free on here
>>
>>15481384
>>15481389
>>15481414

>automatic
>land barge
cant touge
>>
>>15481384
And that's an LS430
>>
>>15481434
No
>>
>>15481431
>only owning 1 car
Poorfag detected
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 675x900px
>>15481434
Nah it's and LS400.

>>15481428

And yeah I've been waiting for a VIN thread
>>
>>15481449
There's a VIN thread on now, check the catalog
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>15481431
Well I know it's 2 tons but I appreciate the 290hp and rwd. It's big upgrade from my Avalon. RIP
>>
>>15481462
RWD IS ALWAYS BETTER !!!!
>>
>>15481477
Yes anon I suppose you're right
>>
>>15481462
it looks more like a lateral upgrade
>>
>>15481589
Yeah they're both boring old silver toyotas but v8/v6 and rwd/fwd plus all of the extra amenities is worth it to me. The Avalon just got totaled by a Mexican so I really have no choice.
>>
>>15481384
Do it for the ball sack air con anon.
>>
>>15481431

OP can use the LS to tow his touge car to the touge.
>>
do it if u can get it for 5000 or less. I too live in florida and saw that one on craigslist after i bought my LS. almost wish i waited to get that one but i like the white paint more personally.

I got a white 2000 at 137k miles for 4500 definitely worth every penny. Mine didnt come with heated seats or the nakamichi tho. Also the leather in yours looks better especially considering its two years older.

The only problem ive had so far is my alternator going bad but i dont really know why it went out or if its an LS specific issue. just fyi swapping the alternator out on a 98+ vvti LS is a way bigger task than on the old ones cost me $350 in labor vs $200 on a pre 98. I wouldve done it myself but i dont have a garage and in the 98+ its necessary to remove the PS pump to get the alternator off making it a huge bitch.

Idk what else is more difficult/expensive because of the vvti update but there's probably more.
>>
>>15482995
here again.

I think its worth noting that I almost regret going for a 98+ considering i'm a broke af dishwasher. so if ur also tight on money you may want to consider a cheaper earlier model and save the extra cash for repairs and gas etc.

I say this not only because of the pricier alternator repair but also because the car is pretty bad with gas consumption if u live in the city. I live in orlando and i never get on the highway resulting in me getting 14 mpg tank average. All the online info says 17 mpg in the city but my experience has been 14 dunno why. Hwy mileage is bretty gud tho I usually get 22-23 on long trips.

Also important to note is the car takes premium gas so definitely factor that into your budget. Because im so fucking broke I always drive like a grandpa and never rev above 2.5k just to save on gas. So basically the extra horsepower is wasted on me. So I probably would've been just as happy with an earlier model since I never use all that extra power. Keep in mind the car is definitely a comfy cruiser and not a car for hoonin so really think about whether or not you really need the extra power.
>>
>>15481384
i dont get why the ls/gs are so expensive with so many miles
these things and subarus sell for outrageous prices
i get that they are "unbreakable" but its still a car with 100k+ miles, other shit can go bad
>>
>>15483061
u can easily get an LS for half the price or less of the one op posted if u get one pre 98/vvti
>>
>>15483061
>>15483079

for example:
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/5656789942.html

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/ctd/5685791364.html
>>
>>15482995
In the 1UZ, the PS pump is right above the alternator and starts leaking after it reaches a certain age. It leaks onto the alternator and fries it.
>>
>>15481384
I have a 2000 LS400.

The car can last forever if you take care of it. Make sure the car doesn't have navigation or air suspension, the navigation system is total shit compared to a 150 dollar Android phone and the air suspension will cost a fuck ton of money to fix if it breaks and parts are hard to find now. If there are seat heaters forget about fixing it when they fail, they're impossible to fix and replacements are insanely expensive.

The car can get 18 MPG in the city, 25 MPG in the highway. The power and torque is nice but if you care about your wallet you want to drive carefully to avoid trashing your gas mileage.

Also, make sure the mirrors are all functional with auto-dimming. If any of them fail you're looking at either 20 dollars for non-dimming replacements, 60-80 for a used auto-dim salvage part, or 250 dollars for a new OEM auto-dim part.

Check the steering wheel's wood finish for cracks. If it's cracked and the leather is damaged budget 500 dollars to refurbish the wheel. If the headlights are showing UV aging budget another 500 to 800 dollars to replace the housings, it is a huge pain in the ass to fix this too because you will have to transplant the ballast, bulb, and auto-level mechanisms to the new headlight projector + housing.

Make sure there's no rust, these cars are not prone to it but if you get actual winters with salt sprayed on the road it is probably going to be a lot of money to remove all the rust from the bottom of the car.

If the car is at 150k miles ask the owners if the headlights have ever been replaced. If not, budget 80 dollars to replace the HID headlights. Philips D2R HIDs are equal to or better than the OEM headlights and will fit without issue. If there are somehow halogens still on a 1998 LS400 you should walk away because the owners are probably retarded.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.