[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I might be moving from Alberta to Ontario soon. My question is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: ontario.gif (5KB, 403x201px) Image search: [Google]
ontario.gif
5KB, 403x201px
I might be moving from Alberta to Ontario soon. My question is how long do I have before I HAVE to register my vehicle anew in Ontario. I ask because ill be low on available funds to do this for a while and it sounds like a pain in the ass getting it inspected and all. Please help a brother out ive looked everywhere on the internet for an answer to this question but havnt found much.
>>
Drivers license is 60 days, vehicle registration is 30 days. Watch out, you will need a safety inspection too and Ontario just made it a lot tougher. My sisters boyfriend had to go through this because he from from Quebec to Ontario. The cost of getting his 2001 Buick up to snuff was more than the car was worth, he also wasn't able to afford the insurance (still a student) and he ended up scrapping it. What car are you trying to bring in?
>>
>>15469781
2009 Dodge ram. Fuck. thats exactly what im scared of. I mean its in good condition from what I can tell but theres a crack in the windshield which i already know will have to get replaced which is a couple hundred bucks. Can I just say ive been visiting?
>>
I don't know about the time but you will have to go to a Canadian tire for a Drive Clean test (emissions test) and a vehicle safety. At my crappy tire it's $130 and like anon said it's a pain now, brakes have to measured, zero play whatsoever on tie rods and ball joints, etc.
E-Test is $30 plus tax but if you fail say due to an evaporative system leak the max you will pay is $450 including diagnostics for what's called a conditional pass. If the issue can be fixed for less you'll be charged for that amount, if you need a new $1200 catalytic convertor you'll just pay for whatever can be fixed to help reduce emissions. And the cat can be left alone until you sell the vehicle which will require all emissions issues to be fixed.

*this is usually the process for a plate renewal I'm not sure about out of province. This every 2 years for cars 7 model years and older.(2009 and older)
>>
>>15469856
Fuck me man, still I think itll be worse for out of province. I quickly looked over the inspections check list and literally everything is scrutinized. Power stearing, lights, doors, belts, windows, mirrors, everything. Id only be moving with a couple K to my name and my truck
>>
>>15469838
With a 2009 you're probably pretty safe but yeah that windshield will definitely need to be fixed. If you want to try to just say you're visiting or whatever its your life man but if 6 months later you get T-boned or something you could be in a sticky situation. You can't get a vehicle insured if it isn't registered, if you try to keep your Alberta insurance for that long and they just look into something as simple as where you've been working for the past few months they'll drop you. It's really not worth it.

Safety check might be a pain but etest is easy, they only check if you have a CEL code, no sniffer or anything.
>>
>>15469906
Pretty safe? Would you take a chance? or stay in Alberta. I really dont want to loose my baby. Whats the worst case scenario here?
>>
>>15469923
Well, is the suspension OK? light housings intact? balljoints still good? bushings not worn? throwing a check engine light? It really depends how much you've taken care of it.
>>
>>15469885
Anyone can with a license can sign a safety so if you have a mechanic out west with their red seal certificate they can sign the safety as its federal so check and see if you get the work done there you can come here and just get the E test.

Also even if your check engine light is doesn't mean it's an emissions issue it's throwing an ABS or BCM code it can still pass. Honestly though as long as your tires are above 4/32nds and not cracked to shit and brake pads are above 3 /32nds, all lights, seat belts, wipers, horn you will pass. Even power steering leaks are actually rated at like 3 drips in a 1 min period but as long as it isn't pissing out you'll be fine

>>15469885
>>
>>15469943
To the first two I can say yes. im not sure about the rest, im not a mechanic. I bought it from a close friend who supposedly took very good care of it and im inclined to believe them. Drives well and the bodies in really good shape. The only thing i can see thats wrong is like i said the windshield and i think theres an exhaust leak that goes away after the engines been running for a minute.
>>
>>15469856
>>15469951
Me again I'm going to work tomorrow and I'll ask the mechanics about the out of province safety and the check the drive clean procedures and post back in this thread if I see it
>>
>>15469951
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure about that first part? from what I understood you had to do it in Ontario.
>>
>>15469989
Make a new thread if you dont see this one. put dodge ram somewhere in the post and ill look forit after work.
>>
Somewhat related: anyone know a guy that does "safeties" in SW Ontario? I'm looking at a car that failed inspection for an exhaust leak and motor mount. Already has a valid retest though. These inspections are fucking gay.
>>
I just moved from Alberta to Ontario because I'm military. Registering a vehicle is an enormous pain in the ass and insurance rates are bullshit. Don't even TRY to insure an RHD vehicle, nobody will accept them.
>>
File: 1469029417252-1622783894.jpg (3MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
1469029417252-1622783894.jpg
3MB, 2976x2976px
>>15469991
>>15470000
Sorry bud I asked and apparently you need a full emissions pass and a safety, out of province certificates do not count.

So if your check engine light is on find a buddy to scan the codes but again as long as it isn't emissions s related (ex. O2 sensor, EGR valve) you can still pass

I'll monitor this thread until 5 then I'm off but if u need help looking up codes or repair procedures let me know as I have access to Mitchell on demand
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>15472857
Thanks man. I don't have access to a scanner right. There's no check engine light on. Any idea how strenuous the safety is? Would it be easy for an 09 to pass?
>>
>>15473570
Depends on the mechanic, but as I said before lights, brakes, suspension, are the main causes of a failure. Best bet when you go to the shop see if you can talk to the person and explain your situation. Also tell them you're going to timmies and offer to buy them a coffee. I swear to God they will go the extra mile because every mechanic loves a free coffee.
>>
>>15473943
Lmao. I'll try that one out. Thanks a lot for the help bud. Which garage are you at? Maybe if some day some guy comes in with a dodge ram and a coffee you can help him pass the test.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.