[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Mechanics here willing to chime in? >is becoming a mech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (52KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 535x577px
Any Mechanics here willing to chime in?

>is becoming a mech just a meme now?
>dealership or private owned?
>UTI or comm college?
>will i be miserable regardless?

Im about to turn 22 and ive decided i want to become a mechanic. All i want is 60k a year and nights n weekends, my plan is to go to UTI in orlando and get ASE certified while specializing in European/luxury/high performance maintnence. Am i just gonna end up at Jims Transmission for 30yrs? I need guidance.
>>
>>15464546
UTI as an absolute rip off, avoid at all cost, why would you even consider them?
>>
>>15464604
Mostly for the hands on exp. im kind of at that point where i just dont know what the fuck to do. Any school recommendations?
>>
>>15464669
your local community college. If you're serious about going the mech route, that's the absolute best way. You'll get a better education at a fraction of the cost, and have far more chance to get set up with a real world job after you graduate
>>
>>15464698
Thanks for the tip, i was planning on payig my tuition in full too.... How about dealership or independent?
>>
File: 1450040711360.jpg (54KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1450040711360.jpg
54KB, 640x640px
I formerly worked at a GTA mitsu dealer and got fed-up with the job.

took a 2 year auto course at centennial college which is basically your foot in the door.

started on the bottom doing bitch work, worked up to hourly apprentice (read above) then finally licensed tech.

I'm 27 and at work I'd have intermittent wrist/arm/shoulder pain even though I'm using the proper tools and all that shit. One of my main worries was blowing my back out and having a totally fucked body (back/shoulder/arms/legs) by the time I'm 45.

I quit at the end of june and I'm changing career paths.

ask away if you have any specific questions.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 237x250px)
image.jpg
28KB, 237x250px
>>15464794
Think ima just say fuck it at this point and kms. Thanks tho, i love working on cars but everyone tells me to go into aviation mechanics, from what ive seen theres no fuckin jobs
>>
>>15464911
bye Felicia!
>>
File: 1427374403062.jpg (62KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1427374403062.jpg
62KB, 576x432px
>>15464911
Also just for clarification, I sure as fuck didn't make 60k a year. Had to work every Saturday but I had Thursdays off. Potential is there but you have to beable to bang out work fast and good.

Anybody here will tell you flat rate sucks ass. If a job pays you 4 hours and you do it in 1, your way ahead. If it takes you 3 days then you're in the shitter and making no money.

Personally I took my time with most jobs to keep my come backs to a minimum. If a job comes back and its for something you directly touched its likely to be done for free by you. I mean if you did an oil change, tire rotation and a transmission fluid service and a CEL comes on thats not nesessarly related. If you did brakes all around and its screeching upon brake application, you're on the hook.

Some people like flat rate, I fucking despised it.

It was comfortable because I (still) lived at home so my overhead was low. I saved up what I could to make it in a career change or whatever I'm doing.
>>
File: IMG_0516-final-2-web.jpg (1005KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0516-final-2-web.jpg
1005KB, 2048x1152px
>>15464969
This is interesting, I always wanted to be a mechanic but I chose to pursue higher pay/security career, in another field of interest, albeit not so appealing.

I do feel like shit for being 26 and not having even a license...

So grass is practically shit on either side.
>>
Seriously become a diesel tech or marine diesel

I wish I had listened, instead I went to school to work on bikes, ended up 25k in debt and work in a steet yarde to pay it back and turn wrenches as a hobby because there's no jobs available
>>
>>15464546
If you have a clean record, consider wrenching on aircraft. Takes just as long, training cost might be a bit higher but if you manage to pass your FAA tests you're good to go. Fuck working on cars for a living, I know people who used to be car mechanics and hated it.

The downside is that your weekends may not be free, you might be required to work them since you're gonna be the new guy and pay might be shit for a while but it will quickly pick up as you put the years down.

Even as a new guy you can make $60k if you're a overtime whore.
>>
File: 14689503960662050956234.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
14689503960662050956234.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>15464546
Orlando huh? Not too far from where you're at Opee. Live over near Ocala and work in a little shithole shop half an hour away.

Been wrenching since I was 17, got a job doing it for a living at 22. Am 24 now. Went to a small technical school and did 5 months of training but honestly didn't learn shit. My instructor was an asshat who made us learn to be "self-sufficient " by way of GOOGLE, so if you ever hear about how new mechanics can't fix shit without googling it, then there's your proof. Was going to go to UTI like you, but it's crazy expensive.

Got one ASE and working on another. After 2 years of busting ass, I'm not te low man on the pole and do decent service work at $18. Most dealerships start around $12-15, but won't hire you unless you have ASEs / experience.

No, I haven't sold my soul to the snap on man, and make around 20 hours book time a week and 40-45 clock hours. I don't get comebacks though, so I can't complain much. Learn to do a job right the first time instead of being a Speedy Gonzalez.
>>
>>15464546
>Am i just gonna end up at Jims Transmission for 30yrs?
The short answer is yes. The long answer is you'll also hate cars by then.
>>
>>15464911
Go be a goddamn electrician or welder or something. It's not as cool but you can get an apprenticeship and get paid to learn. Then you can afford cars to wrench on in your free time and you won't end up hating it.
>>
>>15464546

yes
dealership
college
yes
>>
do diesel mechanics and work on heavy equipment or over the road trucks. all the heavy lifting is done with cranes and shit is dead nuts simple

used to be a light wheel mechanic and newer cars are the death of your fingers.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.