[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I could really use some help from anyone experienced.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1468224426891.jpg (60KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
1468224426891.jpg
60KB, 722x349px
Hey guys, I could really use some help from anyone experienced. This morning my cars brakes sort of stopped working. To elaborate they still work, but I have to push them down all the way, and when I do there is almost no resistance and it sounds like air is escaping when I push on them, kind of like the hiss from a bicycle pump. They do stop the car but they are so soft there is barely any resistance. I checked the brake fluid and topped it off but still feeling like no pressure. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
Have someone push the brakes, while you look under the vehicle to see where it's leaking.
>>
>>15456388
I tried that, and I didn't see any fluid leaking. So I took it for a drive down the block and back, braking frequently, then checked the fluid and there was no change.
>>
>>15456399
Then push the brake and listen to the vacuum booster. Is there a hose in the line going into it?
>>
>>15456388
BTW, if it was leaking, where would it be leaking from.
I really don't think it is the fluid though because when it was topped up full, there was no difference in pressure from when the problem started.
>>
>>15456411
Going to be honest, I don't really know anything about mechanics, that's why I was hoping somebody good out there could help direct me. I don't know what a vacuum booster is. Where would I locate it?
>>
Sounds weird, but try peeing in the brake fluid reservoir, then pumping the brakes a lot. If it improves, that means your vacuum booster is dead.
>>
>>15456444
I filled the fluid full, and yes I now realize that was probably a dumb thing to do too but I panicked. There was no pressure at all so I will assume you are right that it is the vacuum booster. Any idea if that is an expensive fix? Can a retard do it themselves? I currently own a Mazda.

BTW, thanks so far guys. At least I feel like I'm in the right direction.
>>
File: Clarkson_cc6084_2422933.gif (440KB, 574x352px) Image search: [Google]
Clarkson_cc6084_2422933.gif
440KB, 574x352px
>>15456382
This sounds like you got a leak and air is in your lines. You have two choices:
1) Take it to a mechanic.
2) DIY
For DIY, you have to have the right equipment.
Jack stands are a must, wheel block (bricks) are a must. Because you are going to have to remove each wheel and check the brake cylinders. I had one leak on my truck, the seals on the cylinder failed and the inside of the drum brake had fluid stains. Once the leak is fixed (you can get rebuild kits from auto parts stores for all kinds of brake parts) you will have to bleed the air from the system using a section of fuel line and a clear bottle (coke or something). Dispose of the residual brake fluid properly, it is usually free, maybe at the parts store. You can get better info at youtube or on line. Good luck.
>>
>>15456824
That actually makes sense. Fuck thank you man! That's at least something I can do and since I fucked up and over filled the brake fluid, this is the perfect way for me to check for air. I honestly would never have thought of bleeding the lines.
>>
master brake cylinder
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.