[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say boxers have a better center of gravity when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 4U-GSE-cutaway-1024x675.jpg (154KB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
4U-GSE-cutaway-1024x675.jpg
154KB, 1024x675px
Why do people say boxers have a better center of gravity when they have to sit higher anyways?
>>
>>15441664
because they're cucks who have bought into propaganda
>>
>>15441664
Because people can be wrong, but still believe they are right.
>>
>>15441664
>toyota will never put a 3jz in the next gt-86
>>
For a given crankshaft height, a boxer will have a lower CoG than a V or inline engine.

Admittedly it's probably not a huge difference though, I'd think that thr inproved profile/packaging is more important.
>>
File: engiens.png (979KB, 1059x381px) Image search: [Google]
engiens.png
979KB, 1059x381px
>>15441664
>>
>>15441984

Why would they resurrect a dead engine family that hasn't been in production for over a decade to put in a new car?
>>
File: 3658970970574.jpg (30KB, 590x332px) Image search: [Google]
3658970970574.jpg
30KB, 590x332px
>>15441664
Marketing.

They make it sound easily understandable by a large percentage of the population and technically significant enough to the people who don't know any better. They give the illusion that you are tech savvy and "in the know" even though you may not know anything.
>>
>>15444495
This.
>>15441984
Dumbest shit I've ever read.
>>
Have you ever held a cylinder head in your hands? It's not exactly light, even if it's aluminium. Sure, the difference in average conditions is negligible but by having the cylinder heads placed at a lower height they do have a slightly lower center of gravity.

That said, cucks and posers always say that shit without even knowing what it means and without realizing they'd never be able to tell the difference. Fuck that marketing shit, but don't deny that the Boxer diserves some luvin'.
>>
>>15444517
So Subaru's excuse for using boxer engines is because they're too lazy to balance a car?
>>
>>15444517
and straight 6? oh yeah it would balance perfectly plz make a 3jz toyota
>>
What are the disadvantages of a boxer? I know its harder to replace spark plugs but that seems kind of negligible. I mean in general performance, efficiency and longevity wise is there significant differences between I, V and H configs?
>>
>>15444833
Boxers leak/burn oil like crazy and eat head gaskets.
>>
>>15441664
Because Subaru sat then higher because they still need their cars to turn.

RR flat engine will be so fucking low you'd have to squat to check your oil
>>
>>15441984
The 86 would be perfect with an inline 6 3-4 litres.
>>
>>15444850
Is that an inherent flaw in H engines? That they are more likely to develop those kinda problems? Cuz it just seems like bad Subaru manufacturing to me
>>
>>15444833
really wide
exsuast manifold problems
split crank case
oil leaks
head stud fatigue
four cams and two heads for only four cylinders
>>
>>15444859
>RR flat engine will be so fucking low you'd have to squat to check your oil
This
Boxer engines are much better for MR and RR applications than they are for FR.

Honestly the Toyota would've been better off making a successor to the MR2 instead of the AE86, which is a silly meme car. An MR layout would fix a lot of the problems with the current 86 while only making it a bit less practical.
>>
>>15444664
>aluminium

post invalidated
>>
Boxers eating head gaskets is not inherent to the boxer design, it's boy racers running a bar and a half of boost through 20 year old EJs to the point of failure. /o/ is so fucking dumb.

And effectively moving a 500 pound boat anchor four inches lower to the ground has definite benefits for CoG.
>>
>>15445167
But it sits higher so your point is moot
>>
>>15444833
Apparently if you do a really long constant doughnut in a boxer engined car (with a wet sump), a lot of the oil can't return to the pan due to centrifugal forces from the car turning. All the oil will stay in one of the heads and you risk blowing your engine.

Inline or V engines' oil always drains down into the pan due to gravity unless you drive the car upside down or something.
>>
>>15444984
Oh fuck yeah, mid engined 86 when?
>>
>>15445246
>moot
RIP
>>
>>15444850
The head gasket problem in subarus has more to do with the gasket quality than orientation. They don't leak and burn oil like crazy by any means. There is an issue with cylinder ovalization so they burn a little more but not a crazy amount.
>>
>>15441664
They are smooth and inherently self balancing. The weight distribution is just a bonus. After all its not like having a lower center of gravity really affects handling unless it's like a truck
>>
>>15445425
b-b-b-but it's more rare and I dont get it.Subaru is shit and lazy they cant even into corolla volume sales they can even LS, subaru a gay
>>
File: scion_fr-s_front.jpg (620KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
scion_fr-s_front.jpg
620KB, 960x540px
EVO 509mm
WRX 534mm

boxer is shit
>>
>>15445776
This WRX generation's CoG is 500 mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza#WRX_.28VA.29
>>
>>15444833
It's wide so polar moment of inertia and it eats up space so you get stuck with macphersons instead of being able to use double wishbone suspension
>>
>>15445993
Wrxs use double wishbones m8.
>>
>>15446374
Your mom uses double wishbones
>>
File: that is my fetish.jpg (89KB, 675x565px) Image search: [Google]
that is my fetish.jpg
89KB, 675x565px
>>15446599
>>
>>15446599
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIT
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.