[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Electric cars are designed to save you money by not spending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: vintage-man-confused.jpg (14KB, 948x858px) Image search: [Google]
vintage-man-confused.jpg
14KB, 948x858px
>Electric cars are designed to save you money by not spending money on expensive petrol
>Electric cars are REALLY fucking expensive

I mean who the fuck is the target audience for the BMW i8?

>Ah yes we will build a BMW that you can save money on because it's electric!
>Oh wait it's going to cost the same as a fucking super car
>>
the i3 starts from 40k I think. And its not even the cheapest EV
>>
>>15438992
Are you implying that's cheap?

Look at the price of a comparable petrol car.
>>
>>15438996
What about the Nissan leaf?
>>
>buy electric car
>5 years later the battery capacity is halved
>costs 15k fur a new battery
Yeah man this sounds like a good idea
>>
Electric cars are designed to be THE FUTURE.
>>
Worse yet, electricity here is so expensive that you'll spend the same amount driving an LPG conversion.
>>
>>15439026
Stop living in a shithole.
>>
>>15439028
>one of the most developed countries in the world
>>
>Electric cars are REALLY expensive
>uses BMW i8 as his example
Come on, it's a sporty GT aimed at rich fucks who want to flaunt their money and "eco" conscious at the same time. More affordable options exist in the 20k range.
>>
>>15439034
lemme guess

>india superpower by2030
>>
Who makes the most money in the world?

The folks who own distribution of power with regards to transportation. Big oil.
Saving the world is the device used for massive restructuring of car manufacturing and ownership.

So the folks who own the power distribution make the money big oil can.

Remember cox cable?

They now own most of the automotive world. From kelley blue book to anything associated with your VIN to advertising for new cars.

As well as the power infrastructure.
Everything except for the manufacturing of cars.

And theyre mission statement? "Changg the way the world buys sells and owns cars" (so they make money off all of it)

So enjoy 2 year leases of electric cars that fall apart. Get your kicks now.
>>
Model s is expensive but so are the other performance luxury sedans in its class
>>
>>15439026
>>15439034
It depends on where you live in the US, electricity in many parts of Texas is DIRT CHEAP compared to much of California and New York.

You're better off charging in public places or at offices, where they have free electric chargers to be progressive since commercial rates are so much lower than residential rates.

>>15439011
Typically the plug-in hybrid or fully electric versions of cars are $10,000 or more expensive than the gas versions. Let's take the Ford Focus for instance
>$17,225 starting for gas
>$29,170 starting for electric

Now the electric comes with a couple extra features like an upgraded radio and push button start but you can get these for $2,000-$3,00. You can claim a federal income tax deduction of $7,500 for buying an electric car, but for most people at a 25% tax rate that's a little under $2,000. For the sake of argument, with the prior points let's say we closed the gap to $5,000 (not quite, especially since the additional sales tax on the electric model would be quite a bit in most states, but let's ignore that). Let's take an average oil price over the next five years of $4 (much higher than the average oil price now). Let's assume that you're fortunate enough to only use free chargers at your place of employment.

At $4/gallon against $5,000, you could buy 1,250 gallons of gas. Let's say your average MPG in the gas car was 26MPG. 1,250 gallons * 26 miles to the gallon is 32,500 miles. This assumes a steep and sudden hike in the price of gas over the next five years that hasn't happened. It assumes all charging occurs for free (most people will need to charge at home sometimes at which they might pay thirty cents or more per Kwhr). But hey, that's not bad if you do only charge it for free, and Nissan says the battery warranty is 8 years/100K miles, right?

Well, forgetting that gas engines often run past 100K fine (and you don't have to replace the battery at that point), there's other issues...namely, limitations.
>>
>buy hybrid
>it uses little/no fuel for 40 miles
>it uses a shitload of fuel afterwards because its heavy as fuck and needs to re-fill batteries.

Its like a slot machine. You make a little money for a while then lose it all afterwards.

Plus something extra.
>>
>>15439859 here
(I use nIssan because the leaf and Focus electricity are similarly priced and in class).

Nissan says warranty is void if you expose the vehicle to ambient temps over 120F for more than 120F or store it in temps below -13F for more than seven days. You don't have a heated garage? Bad vehicle for you.
>Leaving your vehicle for over 14 days with near zero charging
>charging the battery daily to top it off when at a high state of charge
If they say the computer detects this at all you're fucked.
All of this forgets to mention that the length of warranty depends on the vehicle you get. The cheapest Nissan leaf is only warranted for 5 years/60,000 miles.

Here's what it covers
>capacity loss below nine bars of capacity as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level
So, basically, unless your battery loses more than 25% of it's battery life within the warranty period, they consider that normal "gradual" lose. If the battery nosedives right after that, it's your fault.

There are other benefits to electric cars - they can have good torque, they can be quiet and not put out emissions, many tolling agencies allow you to pay a lower toll and many highways allow you to use the HOV lane with an electric vehicle (even if you're the only one in it), etc. - but it's hardly a perfect scenario from a value scenario. At this point though, you are paying to try to encourage development of the technology.

One of the other problems is batteries right now aren't easily modular. At best, you're going to get 84 miles on the base model. Hell, let's go with the 107 miles on the highest model. Let's say in five years your car has 80% of the battery capacity still left (20% loss, within the warranty). A little under 86 miles.
>>
>>15439914 here (last of it)
I'm going to drive 164 miles today. If I drove door to door with no traffic and got the maximum mileage promised, I would have to charge the car at least once on the way. Assuming I found one fo the fastest chargers (440V), the promised charge time is a half hour. I can have a gas tank full in two minutes. And there are a lot fewer EV charging stations for public use than there are gas stations, so now I have to plan my trip around finding a station. If there isn't a station just off the highway, that might increase my mileage to the point where I need TWO stops in order to make it to my destination. Not including the time to detour to the charging station, I've just added a half hour on a three hour drive. On a trip that would use half a tank in my traditional gasoline sedan.

If we can narrow the price gap, that's one victory for electric cars. But at best they are going to be secondary vehicles in households, not sole vehicles, because until the technology advances the charge time and range limitations just limit the usable scenarios. It doesn't matter if the average American drives less than 40 miles to work a day, once in a while you will find yourself in a scenario where you want to drive further, and then you're either going to have to rent a second vehicle you own, rent a vehicle with the appropriate range, or not make your trip.
>>
>>15438977
Used Nissan Leafs are cheap.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.