[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /o/ I am looking to get a diesel truck to haul a trailer/flatbed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1stgencummins.jpg (110KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1stgencummins.jpg
110KB, 640x480px
hi /o/

I am looking to get a diesel truck to haul a trailer/flatbed with and really liking the 1st generation Dodge Rams so far with I6 cummins diesel engine.

Does anyone have any experiences with them? I am mechanically inclined, so I don't mind wrenching on the truck myself.

Also, would it be capable of slight offroading if modified?
>>
File: 1st-gen-cummins.jpg (245KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1st-gen-cummins.jpg
245KB, 800x600px
bump
>>
>>15427691
>Also, would it be capable of slight offroading if modified?
No. You'll hurt yourself, kid.
You need a custom built rig with at least $40k in parts to do slight off-roading.
>>
Id rather be cummin than strokin
>>
>>15427691
They're absolute trash in every way with exception to the Dana axles and Cummins 6BT. Plan on completely rewiring the truck if you plan on driving it.

Being mechanically inclined means nothing when the parts are literally impossible to get or expensive due to snowflake status. Remember, they only made something like 70k 1st Gens with the diesel.

I'd personally get a 90s C/K with a SBC. Just as capable, parts are actually obtainable, and they're cheaper to purchase, run, and maintain. Literally a no brainer.

Since you're going to ignore this anyway. Get the automatic, for the love of God. It's the only one that's actually plausible to find parts for.

t. W250 w/ NV4500 and Cummins owner
>>
>>15428139
thanks for the feedback, i am not hellbent on the 1st gen cummins, but I definitely like the way it looks.

Is there no aftermarket for this truck?
>>
>>15428203
No. There's not even OEM backing for critical driveline components for the Getrag models. Just check RockAuto. Even the 2nd gen components for the NV4500s are drying up fast.

If you really wanted a 1stgen that could run big HP and be reliable offroad , you could swap in a 47RH. The problem being, you're still going to have an old truck that's absolutely guaranteed to need major electrical work and or rewiring at some point.

The basic issues, and the fact that it's essentially a 1970s design with some modded 80s interior and a revised grille makes it a non starter for the "muh 1st gen cummins" premium paid. If you want a project as large as the first gen you can come out way ahead with a similar vintage Chevy/Ford Cummins swap and have a way better truck in terms of ride, reliability, and cost.
>>
1st gen cummins have a massive tax on them too. Worse than the toyota tax by far.
>>
>>15428267
Forgot to mention that the A518 and 47RH is "essentially" the same unit depending on how much HP and what converter you want. So that may or may not be an issue depending on what the truck has.
>>
>>15428139
>>15428267
>>15428302

with these being said, are the 2nd gens becoming more impossible to maintain as well? would going with a 2nd gen be a better idea?
>>
>>15428139
>90s C/K with a SBC
If he's going to be hauling he'd be better of with a BBC, 96+ preferred for improvements in both power and economy.

>>15428203
The 1st gen and 2nd gen Rams were great looking trucks. Whoever designed the body did a great job. The Cummins that was dropped into the diesel models was a great engine. But build quality on the trucks is terrible. The frames are shit. The wiring is shit. The transmissions are shit. They're overall just shit trucks.
Great for looking at pictures of on the internet, great for bragging about owning a Cummins, terrible to own.
>>
>>15428322
Hard to say anon. 10 years ago I wouldn't have had the foresight to predict parts for my rig becoming hard to get. Right now they aren't going to be junked because of something major that's unavailable.

Just know that they won't be as supported as the more popular GM/Ford offerings. My dad recently ditched OBS 7.3s that he ran in the fleet for years due to part prices and lackluster availability and they definitely have a large market compared to the 1st & 2nd gens.

>>15428378
The 350 has more power than the 6BT despite being down on torque. I'll always like the SBC for parts availability.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.