[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, do standard brakes have an advantage or acceptable tradeoff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1454221788523.png (510KB, 500x568px) Image search: [Google]
1454221788523.png
510KB, 500x568px
So, do standard brakes have an advantage or acceptable tradeoff over ABS brakes? This goes for both cars and bikes, on road and off road.
>>
>>15423307
quicker response time
>>
>>15423321
lolno

>>15423307
for spirited driving there are theoretical situations where you would want to lock your breaks although it's "traction control" that really takes the fun out
>>
>>15423307
you can push them closer to the grip limit of the tires than ABS can.
>>
>>15423332
there is no, never a time you want to lock the front brake in a bike.
>>
So what about offroad?
>>
>>15423307
There is literally no advantage whatsoever to non-ABS brakes, in any situation.
>>
>>15423402
I want to know this too
>>
>>15423974
in cars*
>>
>>15423402
locking the rear is fine
>>
>>15424791
No, you are not faster at reacting than the computer. Don't flatter yourself.
>>
>>15424862

I will say most ABS systems suck at estimating grip level in the snow. On dry pavement the computer is much better though.
>>
>>15424866
they do not estimate. they trigger all wheels when only one locks though, i do not like that.
>>
File: DSC_0099.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0099.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
>>15424862
the ABS systems on motorcycles I've experienced thus far have been utterly woeful and I can give you a 100% guarantee I can outbrake them.

I'm sure the sytems on like...the 1299 panigale might be alright but unless you have one of those high end systems that has multiple levels of interference I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>15423402
>>15424781
It's absolute trash unless it's really sophisticated offroad. Sometimes you simply need to lock the wheels when offroading on a bike, like descending a steep hill when you're on the rear.

As for cars, it may be useful going fast to keep inside wheels from locking up under trail braking but even then it's not too useful. ABS shits itself whenever grip is lost on one wheel.
>>
>>15423336
Techically, yes. Practically, no. The response time on backing off and getting back on the brake again is far exceeded by the computer and actuator in an emergency situation.
Especially on a bike, this effect is exaggerated. When the front washes out, the whole COG and suspension becomes offset and unloaded, respectively. backing off and reapplying the front in that instance will have the COG fighting your body mass and the damper doing the best it can to handle this heightened load.
>>
>>15423974
Yea there is. Snow driving. I absolutely hate abs in snow. I'd rather lock the tires than have the abs system try to maintain traction on snow because I'll usually stop quicker without it.

Also I've used my ability to lock the brakes to keep me off the curb a few times. With abs you're going to go whichever direction the car is pointed while on the brakes which isn't always optimal.
>>
>>15423341
I used to do it because it made a super loud screeching noise
>>
>>15426260
No. You're literally ignoring the entire point of ABS. It is designed so that you can steer while on the brakes. You cannot steer while your tires are locked sliding. Be it on snow, or if you're actually retarded enough that you can't avoid stationary objects such as curbs that are always there.

If you think otherwise, there is only one answer, you're wrong, completely fucking wrong, and you need to research some more.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.