[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So. Aut/o/, I have a question. I have a stock bore 440. 4.320"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

So. Aut/o/,

I have a question. I have a stock bore 440. 4.320" bore (IIRC). The bore is still good, same with the pistons.

Now, I want to use thinner head gaskets, but the only thinner gaskets I can find are for 4.350" bores. Could I use these? Or am I basically stuck with factory thickness head gaskets?
>>
>>15423215
You're stuck with using the correct part.
>>
File: 20150315_161809.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20150315_161809.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
If I remember correct, most head gaskets have a larger bore anyways so that it doesn't squish into the cylinder when torqued down.
>>
>>15423215
Factory head gaskets are steel shim types about .020 think, the usual blue composite replacement ones are 0.039-0.040

Almost every head gasket is made with a bigger than the largest overbore size though. For a 440 usually the fire ring is about 4.410. The only gaskets I know of that have exact bore sizes are Cometics, but even the thinnest ones are about .020, no thinner than the factory type.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/mopar-performance-steel-shim-head-gasket-sets/make/chrysler/engine-size/7-2l-440
>>
>>15423215
Until you deck the heads bore the block or change out the cam, valves and springs use oem gaskets.
>>
>>15423599
You don't reuse gaskets. And if you went napa or autozone and asked for head gaskets for a 440 they'd give you a set of Fel-Pro/FM etc that are 0.040 thick.
You'd have to go to a dealer and get the Mopar Performance ones to get the original style, which many people don't use because they can be a pain to seal if everything isn't totally flat. But spray them copper coat or silver paint (old trick) and they should seal fine.
>>
>>15423624
Mopar parts still makes those gaskets fucktard thats why i said oem. Original Equipment Manufactor doesnt mean reuse 40 yr old gaskets.
>>
>>15423645
Ok, no need to be so salty.
>>
>>15423624
Well, this engine has never been opened up. So, its still using the original gasket.

To be honest. There's actually nothing wrong with either gasket. The engine has about 30% blowby past the rings on a cold engine. So I've been thinking of re-ringing but I was also looking for cheap ways to bump up the compression ratio and was hoping to do so with using thinner head gaskets
>>
>>15423215
>bore is still good, same with the pistons.
>this engine has never been opened up
wat
>>
>>15423659
that word doesn't mean what you think it means
>>
>>15424310
Borescope and leak down test bro.
>>
Sounds like you have everything figured out. Go ahead and delete this thread.
>>
>>15424836
Well, not really. For the sake of knowledge, I still don't have a definitive answer on if I can use 4.350 head gaskets with a 4.320 bore.

One guy says yes and the next says no.

Which is it?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.