[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do used cars have such high mileage on them these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: confused-messages.jpg (72KB, 1695x1133px) Image search: [Google]
confused-messages.jpg
72KB, 1695x1133px
Why do used cars have such high mileage on them these days?

Back in the early 2000s you could expect a 10 year old car to have done 60,000 miles. These days a 10 year old car has done over 100,000
>>
>>15409960
Fat fucks driving down the road instead of walking and public transport is so bad it makes the hassle of dealing with parking at work or university the lesser evil.
>>
Cash for clunkers killed a lot of good used cars. Insane amounts of them.
>>
>>15409960
you werent even driving 10 years ago
>>
>>15409960
Not really.
And if thgere's any truth to it it's probably because it was easier to tamper with the odometers.
>>
>>15409960
Also 10 years ago you could get a 10 year old beater car for $300-$500

Today 10 year old beater cars are selling for $1000-to-$2000 or more

Cash for Clunkers destroyed the natural cycle of used cars.

The economy being in the toilet means people are keeping their cars longer and putting more miles on them
>>
>>15409960
People run the shit out of their cars nowadays, because they need to and can't afford to replace it as often.

Also, America's economy is heading for another bad credit recession, so that's probably another reason why.
>>
>>15409960
why are you so afraid of mileage? if it was maintained well it'll be fine.
>>
>>15409975
They're going to do another round soon, too. They don't give a fuck.

The economy isn't in a position where people can afford cars, but they're going to force it anyways because the auto industry needs the money.
>>
>>15409991
>economy being in the toilet
the economy is better now than it was before the crash. it's the best it's been since the .com bubble.

>>15409997
americans have made more income in 2015/2016 than they have in the last 15 years.
>>
>>15410007
>The economy isn't in a position where people can afford cars
why does this fucking meme exist. the US economy is STRONG. it's not 2009 amy more it's time to stop using this as an excuse for being broke.
>>
File: vintage-man-confused.jpg (14KB, 948x858px) Image search: [Google]
vintage-man-confused.jpg
14KB, 948x858px
Also why have classic cars like tripled in value over the last 5 years.
>>
>>15410020
cars/motorcycles as a hobby have increased in popularity a shitload in the last 5 years.
>>
>>15409960
The difference is, used cars are auctioned and shipped around the country much more now. Suburban commuter cars that have racked up 100,000 miles can end up in your area. Meanwhile, the best low-mileage cars from your area may end up in more affluent areas where buyers are willing to pay more for the condition of the car.
>>
>>15410020
It really looks like rich people are moving shit currency into physical value.
>>
>>15409991

Only people who don't understand how inflation works believe in this
>>
>>15410014
The economy as a whole sure, but the average person is up to their eyes in debt and working a job 1 hour short of full time so that Wal Mart doesn't need to pay them minimum wage
>>
>>15410020
It's not even proper classics, that I understand.

It's the 70s/80s shitboxes covered in rust. I just wish that I could pick up a rusty 70s Toyota for $1000 still
>>
I think 10 year old used cars now are a lot better than 10 year old cars from the early 2000s so people tend to keep them longer and use them more.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am talking about normal everyday cars.

Compare a 2006 Mondeo to an early 90s Sierra, there is just no comparison. Most Sierras were well and truly fucked by 100k and 10 years old, but a mid 2000s Mondeo is still a fairly fresh car with lots of usable life left in it. Should easily see 200k out of one.
>>
>>15410132
>It's the 70s/80s shitboxes covered in rust.

That's just owners seeing the good cars' prices skyrocketing and wanting to jump on that train.

A problem arises when idiots buy that shit, thinking they can profit the same way, or because they think it's a good deal.
>>
>>old people don't use craigslist.

Ive found plenty of low mileage cheap cars, usually in local classified ad's.
>>
>>15410143
God I hate idiots, nearly as much as boomers

>Hey that guy got $1.5M for his 69 manual V8 Mustang in mint condition
>That must mean my 84 automatic V6 Mustange covered in dents must be worth $12000
>>
>>15410153
This, the best place to look for cheap cars in good condition is in the back of a car magazine
>>
>>15410125
>up to their eyeballs in debt
they made shitty decisions.
>>
>>15410266
The entire economy is founded on shitty decisions, and requires shitty decisions to continue functioning
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.