[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 26

File: oil.jpg (72KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
72KB, 960x528px
Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.
>>
>>15406966
change your own oil?
>>
>>15406966
>Not even changing your own oil

get the fuck out.
>>
>>15406966
>non-anonymized mileage data
This isn't /g/ no one cares about muh freadumbs here
>>
>Not changing your fucking oil
>>
>>15406966
the land of the free start to look like a police state
>>
>>15406991
>private companies interacting with private companies is a police state

This is still bullshit, but come the fuck on, anon.
>>
>>15406988
>he doesn't use only the finest open source oil
it's like you want the NSA to control your brain
>>
>>15406991
>private companies
>police state

holy shit euro education at it's finest.
>>
>>15406966
Got cucked by statefarm
>>
>>15406997
I don't give a fuck as long as I can pollute as much as I want and burn tire on my driveway.
>>
>>15406988
>not installing gentoo on your car
>>
>>15407013
supposedly the ozone holes are shrinking over the ice caps, meaning we can have fun with engines again.
the market for 2-stroke cars looks bright.
>>
>>15406966
Sounds like they requested it from a state inspection station.
>>
>>15407005
>cucked
You guys still struggle with that term desu
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 500x585px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 500x585px
>>15407032
Meh, just means we can have CFCs back and get the gud huffs again.
>>
>>15407083
at least he was huffing team colors
>>
The last two sentences are literally a fuck you. I switched from them to liberty mutual and pay half of what I did.
>>
>>15406966
Start changing your own oil

>>15406991
>private insurance industry
>police
pick one idiot
>>
>>15406966
That doesn't seem legal unless the oil change place has a policy posted somewhere, or you signed something.

Any legalfag able to weigh in on this?
>>
>>15406966
Did they report when they changed your oil or was if for an inspection?
>>
>>15406966
That doesn't seem legal unless the oil change place has a policy posted somewhere, or you signed something.

Any legalfag able to weigh in on this?

Also
>Google this issue
>2 results
>Some twitter post and this thread
>Same image and lack of details

I don't have a twitter account and couldn't read the comments but this seems like it would be a noteworthy issue if it were true, aka would have more Google results.
>>
>>15406966
I'd tell them to frig the fuck off
>>
what % of americunts actually change their own oil? 5% 3%?
>>
>>15407332
If I had to guess I'd say the same percentage of amerifats change their own oil as those in any first world nation
>>
>>15407332
I change my oil but honestly it only costs a little more getting it done at a shop. Like $15. A $15 convenience fee to not have to crawl under the car could be worth it.
>>
File: euro.jpg (105KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
euro.jpg
105KB, 800x500px
>>15407332
>>
>>15407905
the inconvenience of me getting on the ground is worth knowing it's not cocked up

the stories I've seen/heard of those quick lube places...
>>
>>15407905
>A $15 convenience fee to not have to crawl under the car could be worth it.

if only they didn't spy on you and rat you out to the insurance company ;)
>>
>>15407925
Given Americans are usually the quickest to react to anti American jokes and propaganda, I'd say your image lacks any credibility.
>>
File: 1467771731686.jpg (622KB, 636x4538px) Image search: [Google]
1467771731686.jpg
622KB, 636x4538px
>>15406966
Just call up, demand they dont change shit or you will switch insurance companies
>>
>>15407997
>Shitpost about Americans
>Get called on it
>Shitpost more about Americans
Are you just trying to prove his point?
>>
>>15407905
A lot of places do it cheaper than I can, even if I use bottom dollar oil/filter. Lots of garages doing specials to get you in the door and on their books.

Have never had an issue with Midas. Though only went twice out of the 6 or so changes I've done.
>>
>>15408035
>implying that was me
>implying I'm from either side of the Atlantic
That image wasn't "calling out" anyone or anything. It was simply implying something that's incorrect.
Given your prompt overly defensive response further disproves the image in question.
>>
File: how to arguee with amerifats.jpg (49KB, 1235x199px) Image search: [Google]
how to arguee with amerifats.jpg
49KB, 1235x199px
>>15407332
nice, you triggered the autistic tripfag
>>
>>15406966
All these posts and yet nobody has yet pointed out how absolutely bullshit that piece of paper is.

No company in 2016 uses shit that looks like that. No letter head, no contact information, no modern font, no nothing.
>>
>>15406976
/Thread
>>
>>15406966
>going to those name brand auto insurance companies
i went to cost-u-less. those people make damn sure you get a low rate. i have "pleasure" driving policy and they put down that i got my license at 16 when i actually got it at 19. also i drove 44k miles in 1 year and 4 months. they dont care. they want to make sure you save money
>>
>>15408349
This whole post and you didn't realize even one time that the paper was folded
Good job Ace Detecive
>>
>>15408349
>no modern font

kill yourself
>>
>>15408349
State farm uses that font. As a state farm customer that letter looks legit but with the identifying parts folded out. More importantly the milege came from an inspection most likely and if so its reported to the state.
>>
>>15406988
Fuck off kike everyone everywhere cares about freedom

YET ANOTHER REASON TO NEVER TRUST CHAINS
>>
I must be driving state farm crazy. There aren't any service records on my car for the last 8 years.
>>
>>15406966
Have you ever done a VIN check? You dont think private insurance companies are benefiting from the same information?

The data is anonymized, but is still car specific.
>>
File: Make_America_Great_Again.jpg (82KB, 650x364px) Image search: [Google]
Make_America_Great_Again.jpg
82KB, 650x364px
>>15406966
>non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

Your car will tell the insurance companies in the future. See this thread at >>15404045 >>15405009
>>15405026
>>
>>15410389
>I must be driving state farm crazy. There aren't any service records on my car for the last 8 years

Not even an auto inspection? My state requires emission testing every two years. So they record the mileage then.

My insurance policy has terms that require me to report to them if I have variances in expected driving history. So if I drive more than the expected 12K miles per year average, I am required to tell them per the policy that I signed.
>>
>>15411219
I did have to get emission tested when I moved. But before that my state didn't inspect anything.
>>
>>15406966
You went to fucking Jiffy Lube, didn't you?

Sounds like some shit they'd do.
>>
>>15410389
>There aren't any service records on my car for the last 8 years.

They can get your mileage if you have Onstar and you signed a form without marking the checkbox and signing it denying info collection. You can also lose privacy if you go to the Onstar site and open up an account there. Or you accept to use the Onstar app in your phone to monitor the car and allow partners access to data. Remember that non-personally identifying data doesn't mean the data cannot be used to identify you. It just means that your own personal info is not sent, so your name, home address, email, driver license, phone number, email are not sent. But your VIN and license plate for the car can be sent. BUT hey, isn't the VIN and plate linked to a person (you)? Sure, but it in itself was not direct personal information. So your insurance company can find out thru those other means as more deregulation occurs in order to streamline business operations and save money for businesses and increase jobs and prosperity for all. Deregulation of these expensive privacy walls is still ongoing.
>>
>>15411378
>So your insurance company can find out thru those other means as more deregulation occurs in order to streamline business operations and save money for businesses and increase jobs and prosperity for all. Deregulation of these expensive privacy walls is still ongoing.
ah, yes
>>
>>15411372
>You went to fucking Jiffy Lube, didn't you?

Lots of shops sell data. Body shops update your data to various services. In return they get discounts on their database subscriptions or discounts with partners with those databases, so there is financial incentive.

If you buy tires, they record your mileage when you get new tires installed or each time you use their shop. Even when I get a flat tire patched, they write down my plate number, VIN, and odometer reading. State Farm can get it from there because many shops turn in statistics to the various database companies buying them or giving discounts to stores' database subscriptions in return for data.
>>
>>15411418
Im putting tape over my odo next time i visit a shop
>>
>>15411378
It's an 03 cavalier shit box so I don't have to worry about that.
>>
>>15411514

well... there's a bulletproof solution :)
>>
Plenty of auto shops send non-anonmyized data to bureaus like Carfax.

Hell, the MyCARFAX app lets you view the service and registration history for any vehicle you know the plate number and state of the plate number (or VIN) of. It's not complete because it's not an owner history, but seeing "Registration issued: 01/01/2015 SOMEPLACE, NEW YORK" and seeing "REGISTRATION ISSUED: 12/01/2015 SOMEWHERE ELSE, MA" is a hint that it may have changed hands. I never removed the 2002 Camry I sold November last year and I can see the service history still on it in this app.

Smaller shops generally don't report, or you can always change the oil yourself.
>>
>>15412669
It lets you enter any license plate? How many times can you use that per day?
>>
>>15413577
>It lets you enter any license plate? How many times can you use that per day?

An alternate method is to use the free version:
http://www.carfax.com/company/free-car-record-checks
>>
KEK
'mericans
>>
>>15411418
That's why I use a local mechanic shop. They don't bother with infometric shit. They fix what you tell them to fix.
They don't do extra work and bill you for it.
They don't upsell you onto other work.
They don't ignore growing problems.
The only databases they really keep is in the heads of the mechanics, and a list of repeat customers.
They even do small shit for free if they know you. Took my car there for new brakes, came back with a blown brake light bulb replaced with no note on the receipt or any mention.
>>
Has any one pointed out yet that any time you get your vehicle serviced it is logged and easily accessible. Have you ever had a Carfax? It lists the milage each time it was serviced and where it was serviced.

Stop trying to cheat your insurance Company, and pay your damn premium
>>
>>15415581
Why would you not service your shitbox yourself?
>>
>>15406966
fell for the jiffylube oil change meme LOL.
>>
>>15407140

If they're only listing the VIN with mileage, its arguable that they're not violating your privacy.

Its the same argument the NSA was able to make and get phone records.
>>
>>15415588
This.

Even when I have to take the vehicle into a shop, its so few and far between that there's really no way of consistently tracking me.
>>
>>15411219
>tfw last time my car was in a shop was 10 years ago when I had the stealership put it up on a lift so I could inspect it myself
>>
>>15415581
>Stop trying to cheat your insurance Company
But it's a okay for them to cheat you.
>>
>>15415635
You're lucky that you can mount and balance tires yourself. The tire shops also report your VIN, odometer, and other info to a database. The industry is well organized by now at trying to get information aggregated.

It's just like how the government has dentists report all your dental records to a central clearninghouse. After 9/11, even lawyers were required to report some things to the government about their clients without protection of the lawyer/client privilege. The same with doctors.

Data is getting combined and looked at in unexpected ways all the time. So your data has value against the day someone requests it and has to pay for it. For example, in divorce cases, the lawyers sometimes request shopping info about the husband. If he buys things that suggests having a woman on the side, that is used against him in court. For example, he buys condoms but the wife divorcing him says he never used condoms with her. Where the data costs money is when facial recognition search is used to determine what the person bought since they used cash instead of cards. My local police did that. Since cars are transportation, auto records have great value in determining time, place, duration as well as who your friends are simply by a pattern of co-mingled visits.
>>
>>15415863
>report all your dental records to a central clearninghouse.

So they have your teeth impressions on file. Just don't bite the hookers before you kill them.
>>
>>15406966
>sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

Hah! Fooled them. I don't have insurance.
>>
>>15415581

> Stop trying to cheat your insurance Company

don't make me slap that jew dick out of your mouth
>>
File: George-Orwell.jpg (226KB, 1024x824px) Image search: [Google]
George-Orwell.jpg
226KB, 1024x824px
>>15415863

how many times is your license plate scanned every day, every time you pass a cop car? are there stationary scanner cameras as well?
>>
>>15416783
>are there stationary scanner cameras as well?
Yes. Our city uses high resolution computer-driven cameras. A pod typically has a videocam and a high-resolution large photo camera with powerful optical zoom. The computer automatically drives both. Our downtown area has a number of them to record surveillance footage and they are well hidden mostly.

Traffic lights at major intersections have both video and stationary photo cameras to watch traffic. Based on traffic flow, they even adjust traffic light duration automatically and send traffic flow info back to a central computer so that lights over a wide area can be synchronized to improve total traffic flow. Of course, lights can also change to impede someone trying to run. We also have cameras in a few school zones where the teachers complain about speeders.

The cameras take photos of front and rear plates of those who run red lights (yellow means come to a stop here). Those who speed in a school zone also get $249 tickets in the mail. They're public record, so insurance companies eat that up.

The cameras used to send license plate info to the computer to crosscheck for valid current tags but due to racism complaints that feature was deactivated. Computer vision is powerful and can do many things like make a database of faces too (we have that).
>>
>>15416783
It's "old" tech now. Are you behind the times? Even some HOA use computerized camera systems. They are cheap and efficient. It's way to expensive to hire real people.
>>
>>15416783
>how many times is your license plate scanned every day, every time you pass a cop car? are there stationary scanner cameras as well?

Toll roads scan. This is done all over the country. Nothing new. Moving on. Nothing wrong with the FBI or local police accessing records of which plates appeared at certain locations either.
>>
>>15416868
yeah i mean that makes sense tho, they have to bill the people that are in the expresslane (Cali). Our city just installed cameras for all cars traveling in and out of the city, there was an issue with all dem poors traveling from other countys and breaking into homes. something like 80% of them were from outsiders (blacks and beaners)
>>
>>15416783
What's interesting is that the locations some of our cameras watch are "calibrated locations". They must have moved GPS measurement devices to those spots and recorded the exact GPS locations. So when the camera spots something at a location at a certain time, the police can go to the computer and request a cellphone track, tesla track, satellite radio track, ford track, or Onstar track to see what device was at that GPS location at that specific time. Thus, the person or cars can be identified from that even if they are shapeless blobs.
>>
If Ms Nooil is going to make an insurance claim when she burns up engine in her car, doesn't the insurance company have the right to know if she actually had the oil changed? Just sayin
>>
>>15406966

fake.
>>
>>15417151
No, I'm not going to bring my vehicle to a garage to do a 30 minute job I can do myself.
>>
>>15406966
>Insurance company pays to have someone look this shit up to fuck you out of 10 bucks per month.
>>
>>15417248
I agree. I do my own oil changes myself because I don't trust minimum wage paid monkeys to do that. But I won't make a insurance claim either if I run my car 30K miles without a oil change and seize the engine. There are plenty of people who would try.
>>
>>15417248
>No, I'm not going to bring my vehicle to a garage to do a 30 minute job I can do myself.

Our area has at least two self-service garages that put your car up on a four-point lift. You can stand underneath if you want. Their oil change special rates are $15 at one shop and $20 at another shop for 30 minutes of bay time. The $20 bay has all the tools and oil disposal gear. The $15 bay has the the oil disposal gear.

Even at $15 for use of a 4-point lift for 30 minutes, that means a self-serve change costs:

$15
$6.90 filter
$24.95 5qt jug full synth oil

versus $59.97 for full service oil/filter change using the same full synthetic oil and filter at a shop. My neighbor still does his oil changes, but he dumps used oil into the sewer since he has a convenient sink in his huge detached garage. It's too much trouble and expense to have a special container and then cart the oil to some store to dispose of the oil.
>>
>>15417314
You think a bunch of jews wouldn't have had a system to do it automatically?

Why hire a person?
>>
>>15417365
>It's too much trouble and expense to have a special container and then cart the oil to some store to dispose of the oil.

Are you saying that sarcastically?

Cuase its not that much trouble lugging the used oil jug back down to the local Vatozone or local dump here.
>>
>>15406966
>Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

I don't mind. It helps stop the dealer from trying to disqualify warranty coverage because their standard tactic is that the car wasn't properly maintained.

As for data in the hands of the corporations and government, I don't mind either. I've lived my life cleanly, so to my viewpoint (the same as my conservative parents who brought me up right), only the guilty need to feel fear. There are exceptions of course, but those are exceptions.

Exceptions occur everywhere for everything, and thus they don't matter all that much. So, only the guilty or those who want to break the law in the future have fear.
>>
>>15407332
I've always done my own. Then I know it's actually getting done (there have been at least a few chains caught on cameras not even doing services), I know what condition it's coming out, when, what I've got in it, and that it's not getting fucked up and started dry because some stoner Fuck forgot to fill it or something else stupid and terrible.

I do absolutely everything I can to my cars myself.
>>
>>15417945
>so to my viewpoint (the same as my conservative parents who brought me up right), only the guilty need to feel fear.
You and your parents need to leave my country.
>>
>>15417377
Seriously, it's like 5$ for a big ass storage jug. Just bring that shit in next time you buy oil, they'll dump it while you grab your oil and filter off the shelf..
>>
the only vehicle that i don't change the oil on myself (winter beater, subcompact shitbox, i get the oil done when i get the tires switched) i take to a local guy who salvages super cheap parts and doesn't charge tax so i think i'm safe
>>
This shit just happened to me today. Told them 11k miles a year, now when i log in it says 13k and my premium went up $75. Got a geico quote and they didnt even ask expected mileage, they knew from the VIN record. God damned dealership.
>>
File: CarWashing.jpg (31KB, 400x311px) Image search: [Google]
CarWashing.jpg
31KB, 400x311px
>>15418567
>my premium went up $75. Got a geico quote and they didnt even ask expected mileage, they knew from the VIN record. God damned dealership.

Well, you should get an Onstar car then. Those report your stats including mileage, how many panic stops, if you have hard acceleration at places you shouldn't such as traffic lights, if you use turn signals for all turns, if you speed, if you speed through a school zone during school hours, etc.

All that spying by your car phoning home the info was described in more detail in the thread at >>15404045
>>
>>15418567
>This shit just happened to me today.

If you have one of the newer GM cars such as the Chevy Malibu, you can buy access to an option called "Teenage Driver" monitoring. You can thus loan your car out but set conditions into the car. The car uploads to GM and then your smartphone app displays a report card on how your child was driving. It reports on use of seatbelts, turn signals, if s/he drives "on the line" roadway markings a lot, if s/he weaves in the lane a lot (drunk driver? distracted driver?), speeding, and of course you get a full GPS display on map of where s/he drove and how much time was spent. Move your cursor over the path and you see stats. Nice. You can now tell how much time was spent at certain locations or if s/he went to the planned parenthood pregnancy clinic (worry!). You can set a max speed limit for the car. And of course, a max volume on the radio if passengers and driver don't wear seatbelts (it has a passenger seat sensor).

The problem with the above is that the car phones home that info. That also means that info is probably collected on all drivers including yourself the owner.
>>
>>15417365
>have a special container and then cart the oil to some store to dispose of the oil.
Whats wrong with just using the empty new oil container you just bought?
>>
>>15419950
>>15417377
It's not me that dumps oil into the drain. I go to a shop. It's that penny pinching neighbor. He's always going on about paying taxes and the other usual conservative things. When I told him not to dump it into the drain, he got very very angry with me. He started a tirade of how liberal commies use environmental laws to keep business down or reduce their ability to compete. On and on.

So, I gave up on that. He's a senior member of the homeowner association staff (committee head) so he can do a lot of harm to me if he sees me as some liberal commie for saying that dumping used oil down the drain is harmful to the environment.

I don't want the HOA to come after me interpreting everything I do as worthy of getting a lawyer letter. The speed limit is 5 MPH. It is 0.48 miles from the beginning of the frontage road (HOA controlled) to the first security point. Then after that more security. Then about 0.2 miles to my home. If they enforced the 5MPH on me or gave me a lawyer letter each day, that would be killer. It has survived lawyer assault in court as being unfair due to selective enforcement. So trying again to defeat it would be expensive and fail. The people who tried had to move out afterwards since nothing they could do was ever "right".

When you get a lawyer letter, you are responsible for the cost of the lawyer firm in writing up the letter. That is where the "fine" is since an HOA cannot legally issue true fines. Only a court can. But as those of you know, an HOA has many powers similar to a government and can do things a city or federal gov't cannot legally due as a result of the Constitution. That's because covenants allow homeowners to sign away some of their bill of rights.

So, trying to defend the environment gets me branded as a liberal communist. Fuck that. I don't want "fines". They have converted me into proper conservatism - oil in sewers is good. Environmentalism is bad.
>>
File: lift.jpg (14KB, 474x347px) Image search: [Google]
lift.jpg
14KB, 474x347px
>>15418567
>This shit just happened to me today. Told them 11k miles a year, now when i log in it says 13k and my premium went up $75. Got a geico quote and they didnt even ask expected mileage, they knew from the VIN record. God damned dealership.

If your mileage was only 2000 miles per year, would they do the same thing and lower your rate based upon your proven low mileage?
>>
>>15420217
Call the EPA on his ass, idiot.
>>
>>15420233
It's the rare company that gives customer service when it doesn't have to. Insurance companies are out to keep as much of your money as possible. To cash-flow companies, reducing charges to you is like increasing debt. On the sheets it is a negative expense item to reduce charges as an insurance condition.
>>
>>15421522
Even when my mileage was lower I didn't see automatic reductions on my premium, I agree.

>>15418567
They may get it from the dealership but it can also come from other sources. States with annual safety/emissions inspections often require that the mileage be transmitted at the time of the inspection, that gets on the record no matter where you get your car inspected (dealership, big chain for car maintenance, or small garage) in New York State.

>>15418669
>Well, you should get an Onstar car then. Those report your stats including mileage, how many panic stops, if you have hard acceleration at places you shouldn't such as traffic lights, if you use turn signals for all turns, if you speed, if you speed through a school zone during school hours, etc.
I think they only do this if you opt in with State Farm. Either way, Progressive snapshot, onstar with state farm, etc. can all get fucked. I'm not installing an always on black box in my car (even without a constantly transmitting one tons of cars have event data recorders for accidents nowadays).
>>
>>15421545
>I think they only do this if you opt in with State Farm
GM has a partnership with Progressive now, so add Progressive to your list. I was notified in email that if I sign up, Progressive would give me a discount (or higher rates) by using my Onstar to track my usage, maintenance, location, driving, speeding, and safety-oriented behaviors. Liberty and 2 other insurance companies besides state farm and progressive can also use data from Onstar now.

So it looks like more and more insurance companies are getting onboard with automated monitoring of the truthfulness and risk factors of their customers.
>>
>>15406966
That's actually kinda funny thinking about it, I got a call from my insurance company a few months back that went something like

>We contacted your dealership to ask them the milage on your car, but they said you haven't been in for a service in 2 years, are you not maintaining your car
>are you legally allowed to do that?
>Yes, sir have you been maintaining your car?
>Yes, I just had an oil change last month
>Can you give us the name of the company that did it?
>No.
>Please, sir, I need to know the name of the company you took your car to sir.
>No.
>Sir, please I-
>I did it myself, Like i have been for the last 2 years, now will you fuck off.
>Semi-long pause, almost hung up
>Sir, what is the milage of your car
>80k KM
>hung up

Fucking Indians. Car actually has 130k on it but that's none of their business. I didn't even realise this was a thing until I saw your post.
>>
>>15421822
>I didn't even realise this was a thing until I saw your post.

The various information clearinghouses collect info and then sell it to insurance companies and other companies as well. Why would insurance companies buy the "same" data from 20 to 100 different sources? It is to cross-check the accuracy of the data.

My former bodyshop told me they submit data on all the cars they work on. So that means not only the VIN, odometer, but also the condition of the car and what bodywork was done.

Tire companies submit data. So when you buy tires, they get your odometer reading. You go in to switch from summer tires to your winter studded tires, they get your odometer. You go in for balancing tires or flat repair, they get your odometer.

Everyone needs to be aware of the loss of privacy. If you hear of legislators being lobbied to provide the "phoned home" data to the gov't or info clearinghouses or to insurance companies, please protest and fight it. If not enough people resist, it will happen. Then the cars will become the big spy in our household. With bluetooth synching in the cars, the car thus knows the identity of all the passengers who have cellphones. It has to have the ID of each phone in order to know if it has permission or not after all. And it can report those ID to the cloud just like it reports when you performed maintenance or if you illegally removed the catalytic converter, etc.
>>
>>15421822
>Are you having an affair, sir?
are you legally allowed to check?
>Your car says you have a female adult passenger not regularly your wife.
there's no way you know that, no passenger has cells on them.
>Her Bluetooth ID sync to her iPod shows her name as <name here> which your car reported as part of the official record now.
>Your car regularly drives to Embassy Suites hotel on these dates
>Would you like to purchase a temporary information lock on your data? Our company charges $100 per month for the privacy service. Just like paying extra for a private phone line, you can privatize some of your travel information. Each passenger in your car costs $50 extra. So that is a total of $150/month plus taxes and fees. We have a handling fee of $200 per month. So your bill for your affairs from now on runs $490 per month.
I pay up. Cheaper than divorce since I have a small business to run. My wife helped me when I was in school, so she is legally entitled in a community property state to half of my future earnings in my career. Cheaper to pay than to divorce.

Thanks Mr Car for phoning home all that data.
>>
File: 1432261543448.jpg (259KB, 460x800px) Image search: [Google]
1432261543448.jpg
259KB, 460x800px
>mfw reading this thread
>>
>>15421520
>Call the EPA on his ass, idiot.
I was the only one to complain to him. So if the EPA even shows up, I will get all the blame from my highly conservative neighborhood. The HOA will then make my life difficult so no thanks.

>>15422011
It's just like that guy with the stripped oil drain screw who went to the Good Chevrolet dealership. He had low oil so the dealership was right to question him about that. The problem about the drain plug will lie with the prior places the guy got oil changes from. If the previous place was Good Chevrolet, then no wonder the car owner was angry. But it can't be proven it was Good Chevrolet anyways.

What happens on other forums is that negative posts get deleted due to lawyer threats. The forums won't even defend postings of court case results which should be considered truthful enough to be valid. It's because they just don't want to pay the money even to win. In that way, companies and dealerships silence people. As moot said, there aren't many alternatives to 4chan where people can freely speak their mind and have it seen by others (without being immediately censored or silenced by a corp).
>>
File: PennUltraPlatinum.jpg (26KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
PennUltraPlatinum.jpg
26KB, 450x450px
I prefer Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It's great at cleaning. After I saw the time lapse photos someone made of the insides of their dirty engine being cleaned by the oil, I was convinced.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-Full-Synthetic-5W20-SN-Motor-Oil-5-Qts/36030480
>>
>>15423692
Any other sellers of the 5 quart Pennzoil Ultra Platinum jugs? Or is that size a discontinued item at Pennzoil?
>>
>>15421950
Cheating scum
>>
>>15424565
That was "obviously" a fake story? Anyways, maybe such stories should make things more obvious like end with

and after all that
I went out to walk my dinosaur.

and after all that
I went back to my home in Bel-Aire.
>>
>>15422333
Christ man you're on the spectrum. Seek help.
>>
>>15406966
> nice dubs
most states have laws about not fabricating odo readings and laws about most agencies reporting the actual milage
>>
>>15425542
Tampered odo pretty risky here. The law says suspected temperings are required to be reported.
>>
>>15421822
>I didn't even realise this was a thing until I saw your post.

Lots of people don't realize how much info about their own lives they leak out. The fact that someone is having an affair would be easy to spot not just by police, but by others with access to the person's travel records for the car and cellphone. Because the car has bluetooth sync, it queries each bluetooth device in range for its Identification. If the ID matches what it was given permission, it allows that smartphone or iPod or tablet to sync up to the car (depending on the car's software of course).

The insurance agent can certainly see if the 4channer is married or not. And from the map there is a lot of travel to one motel.... Should insurance rates be adjusted for having affairs. No. But one starts to wonder how that "Big Data" situation can be seen by others who also have access to multiple data streams. When the car spies on us, that is another data stream.

Someone who drives to bars a lot might be worth raising rates though. And people who drive after midnite.
>>
>>15407066

No.... actual cuckolds who get offended by the term being used as a general insult struggle with the term tbhsenpaidesu
>>
could someone post this on o
>>
File: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20.jpg (86KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20.jpg
86KB, 1500x1500px
>>15423692
>>15424525
Well, as online sellers go, Amazon is the only one that sells the 5qt jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. You can get the smaller bottles from amazon or the websites of major autoparts stores such as Advanced Auto Parts, oreilly, or Autozone. I've seen the 1 qt bottles in autozone stores.
>>
>>15430362
Why would that happen? Don't the oil company make more money by having more sellers?
>>
>>15429236
No, actual cuckolds who use the term out of context as a generic insult struggle with the term tbqh famalam
>>
>>15430362
I'll try to remember to stop by some stores on the way home to look for Ultra Plat. It has a lot more detergent in it than Mobil1. I think it would be a good choice to use to top off oil loss in beween oil changes.
>>
>>15427332
someone who drives to bars a lot you say... like how i often pick up friends so they don't have to drink and drive?
>>
>>15433010
They're not interested in that you claim to not drink at bars despite going to them frequently. They only look at the things they can prove such as that you do drive your cars to bars frequently. The insurance company hears lots of claims from drivers such as "I drive only 11K or less per year" yet the odometer shows 13K per year. As Reagan said, trust but verify.

It might be interesting if insurance companies banded together to insist that Ford and Chrysler also had their cars phone home info about the way the car was driven and maintenanced. My car knows when the hood is open for example.
>>
>>15406976
I bring my car to the dealership for everything it needs, they're the only ones I let touch my baby. I don't want some greasy mechanic who's going to give me the shit tier oil, and I don't do it myself because of how easy it is to ruin a modern engine these days with an oil change.
>>
File: bicyclist.jpg (196KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bicyclist.jpg
196KB, 1920x1080px
>>15433259
>only get oil changes from dealer
>I don't do it myself because of how easy it is to ruin a modern engine these days with an oil change.

That's a pretty tall tale. If you went to any of the BITOG forums and said "you guys are ruining your engines by changing the oil yourselves", they'd be shocked. They LOVE their cars, which is why they take care of their Baby themselves.

I love my Baby, so that's why I have some stranger take care of her.

I love my children, so that's why I have a nanny take care of them instead of myself.

I love my wife, so that's why I have Tyrone take care of her. I wouldn't want to touch my wife for fear of harming her.
>>
>>15434047
They aren't just strangers, they're trained professionals certified by Mazda. They do this kind of thing all day, so they know what their doing. I don't want to go through all the training or buy the expensive tools needed to work on my car.

>They LOVE their cars, which is why they take care of their Baby themselves

That's all well and good until they trip one of the electrical sensors and the whole thing just fucks up.
>>
>>15434293
>That's all well and good until they trip one of the electrical sensors and the whole thing just fucks up.
I'm dying. Jesus fucking Christ anon. It's basic maintenance that only takes like 20 minutes. And if you're that paranoid then read the owner's manual. There's probably an article online that explains how fucking simple it is for your car.
>>
>>15434327
>People train for years to learn to work on cars
>"It's easy bro, just read the manual!"
>Then go through all the Mazda certifications
>Then buy all the expensive tools
>Do it correctly the first time, gain confidence.
>Try it the next time
>Forget to unhook the oil sensor
>It reads that you have double the oil you should have, because it didn't register the removal of the old oil
>Shuts down as an automatic safety feature.
>Voids warranty, have to pay hundreds or more dollars to get it fixed.

Fuck off.
>>
>>15434401
What a cuck, just kill yourself.
>>
>>15434455
>Argument gets beaten down.
>"Hmm, how will I come back from this?"
>"I know, I'll tell you to kill yourself"
>"That means I win right?"

Again, fuck off.
>>
>>15434327
>It's basic maintenance that only takes like 20 minutes.

The way those posts go about ways things go wrong is like how a dealership service writer talks to customers. They sow Fear Uncertainty Doubt (FUD) and get you to sign service contracts.

Oil Changes can have lots of things go wrong, so it should be done by the dealer instead of someone else. My ass! That kind of FUD talk is how a service writer works.
>>
File: what the fuck am I reading.jpg (39KB, 421x834px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck am I reading.jpg
39KB, 421x834px
>>15408032
>tinder
>not just for hookup
Literally what the fuck else is it for?
>>
>we appreciate your business

i guess they don't

i'm too lazy to read through the 120+ replies, was this resolved?
>>
>>15435996

girls use it nowadays to scout for marriage material

which is a pain in the ass because it used to be 'you're hot, i'm hot, lets fuck' to 'so what do you do for a living? do you like kids? where do you see yourself in 20 years?'
>>
>>15435945
>undo drain plug
>undo filter
>wait
>reinstall drain plug with new crush washer
>apply a small amount of clean oil to gasket and threads on new filter
>screw on new filter
>fill with amount of oil specified in owners manual

I seriously don't see how anyone can fuck this up.
>>
>>15436034

>drop car off at dealership
>give them my info
>drive off with my girlfriend to the beach
>fall asleep on the sand for a few hours
>wake up, head back home
>have sex
>shower
>drive to the dealership
>car is ready
>give them $50 and drive off

it really is impossible to fuck it up
>>
>>15407905
i can change my oil just by crouching in front of the bumper and working the ratchet/ oil filter wrench,

git gud
>>
>>15436074
>$50
>couple of hours
Fucked up twice from what i can see
>>
>>15408036
>A lot of places do it cheaper than I can, even if I use bottom dollar oil/filter.

Some wal-mart supercenters have oil/filter/battery/tire service centers. The price is typically the lowest in the area for brand name full synthetic oil changes. The conventional oil change uses your choice of major oils and a fram extra guard orange can filter. You can substitute other filters if you want for a small extra charge of a few dollars as long as they are on the shelves of the nextdoor walmart which they use as their "warehouse".

A full synthetic oil change is $49.95 and you get the choice of pennzoil platinum, castrol magnetec, mobil1 full synthetic, or valvoline full synth and again with the fram extra guard filter.. They have quaker state full synth at extra charge. I use the fram synthetic filter because it has a wire mesh that even goes between the pleats. That prevents filter blowouts and makes sure the filter maintains its pleated shape if the filter gets clogged up with grunge or pressure surges from EcoTec engines stress the filter. EcoTec engines start and stop frequently and that causes pressure surges in the oil.

If your local supercenter doesn't have an oil/filter change service center, tell the manager there you (and probably others) would like one and would use it. The walmart in my area didn't have one, but when it announced it was moving, it added an oil/filter center due to perceived demand. Competition from walmart would also lower the oil/filter change prices of other competitors. Even my local car dealership lowered his oil/filter prices as a result of walmart moving just two blocks from him.
>>
>>15434401
haha wow. what a fuccboi.
>>
>>15436029
as always, things ruined by fucking girls.
>>
File: fighter05.jpg (190KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fighter05.jpg
190KB, 1920x1080px
>>15415127
>An alternate method is to use the free version:
>http://www.carfax.com/company/free-car-record-checks

Time to give it a try.
>>
>Go to Mavis to get my tires replaced (got a bubble on a front tire because of a huge pothole on the Garden State Parkway, THANKS NEW JERSEY, so I was away from my local shop)
>use my first and last name, my driver's license, title, etc. all have my middle initial
>two weeks later I get a later in the mail
>it's from "Auto Service Agency" alerting me that I have yet to activate a warranty from them - basically a scam letter for selling extended warranties
Since the car is still in warranty I've only had it serviced by the dealership. When I signed up for financing with my car manufacturer, I opted out of them sharing my information with affiliates. I've owned the car for eighteen months and never gotten mail about my car from anyone except my insurance company (new/renewed policy) or the dealership. And two weeks after visiting Mavis some shitbag extended warranty company mails me. Jesus christ.
>>
>>15411418
Odometer readings are completely normal at almost every shop. Its not always an information selling thing, but more of a covering our ass thing. If you sign off on an RO saying your mileage is 75000, then you can't come back and say it was originally 74500 and bitch and complain that we drove your car 500 miles, because we didn't.
>>
>>15438144
Similarly, a tire shop must have the odometer reading because of the tire mileage warranty.
>>
>>15438144
>>15438809
Trust but verification is necessary to prevent scams. Too many scammy customers AND dealers out there.
>>
>>15436398
>as always, things ruined by fucking girls.

Not really. How many of those girls report your odometer readings to the gov't and your insurance company? Probably none. So by thread topic standards, those girls don't ruin anything for you other than they don't want to put out for you if you don't put out for them with a stable relationship with a prosperous guy who proves he wants marriage because of kids.
>>
File: 1465750755459.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465750755459.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
>>15410438
>The data is anonymized, but is still car specific.

That still gets around the privacy law because the car is owned by a specific person. So having the data on the car de facto is the same as getting data on that person. But instead of saying "These are the travel and usage records of the person named Anon", they say "These are the travel and usage records of VIN123456789". Nice way to avoid the privacy law but still get info on the person.
>>
>>15434401

kek
>>
File: why.png (3KB, 501x89px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
3KB, 501x89px
>>15408053
Americans are minding their own business talking about cars, europeans come in and start shouting about how terrible america is.
America:america is great
europe: HOLY FUCK WHY DO YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT EUROPE LIKE WHAT THE FUCK GET A LIFE!
Europe please, the only time I think about you guys is when the terror attacks from your migrants are on the news.
Enjoy your cultural enrichment.
>>
>>15435996
>>15436029
>>15436398
degenerates really need to be quarantined to shitboards like /b/
>>
>>15406966
>Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

Combined with how modern cars phone home your driving data for insurance companies to look at, it's ominous. See the thread at >>15404045 for how some cars and the car companies are selling your driving info to insurance companies.

That way, the insurance company can see real driving data. Such as how many panic stops you do (hard braking), fast accelerations from traffic lights, do you weave in lane, do you drive on the line, do you run stop signs or fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs? And more. And most critically, do you ever drive reckless overspeeding 90MPH or more.
>>
>>15417365
I hope you and your neighbor get in a wreck, you're both retarded
>>
>>15440023
>Trust but verification

all you dumb cunts need to stop quoting that other dumb cunt (ronny the cowboy) and look up the definition of the word "trust" ;)
>>
>>15421950
Shane
>>
>>15444643
You're the fan of having a professional shop like the dealer do oil changes.
>>
>>15444567
>>15421898
>>15421822
Various insurance companies already have tracker plans available. The actual savings are an illusion though. If you are a super safe driver, you get a vanity discount. But they will sneakily increase your base rates to compensate for the deductions. You would think that the rates should have gone down simply due to the depreciation of the new car, but it doesn't do much to the rate.

Someone tried the monitoring plan for Progressive and reviewed it in detail. It's a well written informative article.

https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/

Progressive's measurement tool needs 3 to 6 months of monitoring before you can get the discount (or rate increase). So you can't do a "try one month and done" method. At the end of the 6 month period, his 6-month rates in 2014 increased from $741 to be $846 with a 12% discount on that time period for having the monitoring device for a net savings of $1. So progressive seems to have suspiciously engineered the rates to not give a real discount but the $1 discount means he becomes one of progressive's statistics that can claim the monitoring program saves them money.
>>
File: Racequeen.jpg (177KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Racequeen.jpg
177KB, 720x1080px
>>15421822
>>15421774
>>15445310

Insurance company monitoring plans use various criteria. Even if a plan says it only does discounts and will not increase rates, the data can be used to increase your base rates without you being able to accuse them of lying. It is technically true the reward program's rates didn't go up (they can only go down). It is also technically true that the base rates can go up based upon data. Those rates are not the discount plan's rates. Tricky legal sophistry wording. But it's legal lawyering.

Keep in mind that what an insurance company considers a safe driver and what you consider a safe driver are not necessarily the same thing. It's not just a matter of avoiding tickets and accidents. Progressive's idea of a safe driver is the only one that matters here.

Example measurement criteria are:

a. MILES DRIVEN
Measures how many miles a vehicle is driven. Statistics show that on average, the more miles driven, the higher the chances of an accident. If you drive 30 or less miles per day you can get a discount. One of progressive's best discount poster girls gets 28% discount on her entire plan because she only drives her car Once Per Week maximum.

b. HARD BRAKING
Hard braking means forcing the vehicle to suddenly stop or decelerate in excess of 7mph (Progressive) or 7.7 mph (Nationwide) per second. Safe drivers will see very few instances of hard braking.

c. FAST ACCELERATION
Fast acceleration is abruptly speeding more than 7.7 mph per second. It can be a sign of aggressive driving. Stop and Go traffic can aggravate this statistic.

d.. NIGHT TIME DRIVING
Driving between midnight and 5 a.m (Nationwide) or 12am to 4am (Progressive). increases the chances of having an accident. Drivers during these times may be tired or distracted.
>>
>>15445384
>c. FAST ACCELERATION
>Fast acceleration is abruptly speeding more than 7.7 mph per second. It can be a sign of aggressive driving. Stop and Go traffic can aggravate this statistic.

>Reaching 40 mph in less than 6 seconds increases your insurance premiums

The fuck
>>
File: 1412374002991.jpg (42KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
1412374002991.jpg
42KB, 501x585px
>>15406966
>>15406988
>>
>>15442080
Why did someone make a car with N64 graphics?
>>
File: sabina11.jpg (33KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
sabina11.jpg
33KB, 600x400px
>>15433259
>he thinks the mechanics at a dealership are any better than the shitty mechanics everywhere else in America

Just change your own fucking oil, it's easy and it'll make you feel good about yourself.
>>
>>15445412
For every competent person, there are two idiots with snail-like reaction times and the inability to hold a wheel straight. People that rear-end others when the light turns green exhibit "fast acceleration". Insurance companies are pretty much /pol/ with the way they use statistics to mindlessly judge you.
>>
>>15445418
Haha epic dude
>>
>>15445384
>c. FAST ACCELERATION
Racing or jackrabbit starts are not safe activities. That's why if you do one of those quick starts with the police nearby, he will pull you over.

So it makes sense for the insurance companyh to look for symptoms of reckless driving such as speeding, high acceleration rates, and hooning. You still have your freedom as the insurance company didn't forbid you or prevent you. It only charged a higher rate for risky behaviour which is legal.
>>
>>15406966
all services are reported to carfax at the lube garage i worked at, that is if a VIN is rendered when we type in a license plate number into the computer.
It will send carfax the date of the service, as well as the mileage and services rendered.

this is a very common practice at any third party service shop...
>>
>>15446691
Maybe one day, more and more parts will have an encrypted VIN broadcaster. Then each car passing by a certain point can be sensed by one of the government sensors and tracked. This would be a necessary part of monitoring a robot fleet of cars, commerce and business trucks, and delivery drones (wheel type land only).
>>
>>15406966
>Thank you for choosing Safe Farm the insurance company that is fucking you
>>
>>15407997
Then again our culture pretty prevalent worldwide. So maybe your just a bit jealous.
>>
>>15448333
>america
>culture
>>
>>15448333
>Then again our culture pretty prevalent worldwide

While americans have a semi-culture, it is mostly a "mutt" culture due to the huge mix of immigrants that join the melting pot that is america.

However, the melting pot concept is a bit old and doesn't work so well with things like Islam which refuse to assimilate into american society. It's the only subgroup in the USA other than Shakers and neo-naxis and those satan worshippers that have their own distinct policies of non-assimilation.

However, Shakers don't use intimidation and assassination and terrorism tactics. The 72 virgins reward would be uncouth to them since they believe in spouse loyalty and not the 72 different wives thing. So do muslim wives get 72 virgin males?
>>
>>15445384
>Insurance company monitoring plans use various criteria.

GM sent me an email listing the names of four other insurance companies that were willing to offer me lower rates than the plan I have now based upon my driving record. Say what? Driving record?

I didn't tell GM anything or solicit the info.

GM knew my insurance since I was required to show proof of insurance to get the car. So they had the name. Policy coverage cost can be assumed and predicted by other insurance companies so that they can make offers solely based upon policy cost and my credit score and non-police ticket record.

But I guess GM can tell them here is user anonymized code <12345> with insurance by <name here> and his driving record and odometer is <odometer,1 hard brake per month,never drives after midnite,uses turn signals, no weaving in lane, doesn't race, has never driven faster than 90, has never driven faster than 80, has only driven faster than 70 five times and that was in the first week of ownership, etc).

I assume they can tell even more about how I drive because I have the full boat of options including sensors, adaptive cruise control, drive in lane (it will nudge your steering wheel over if you get on the lane marker, and more. In order to do those options, the car must know I am driving in a perilous situation. I bet GM's central computer would know if I was doing "donuts" too from anlyzing the data.

I drive nicely, so the other offers were good. One was 28% less so I took that one and still have all the same coverage and even a bit more.

So this info invasion has only helped me. Why do you guys think it is so bad. I benefitted.
>>
>>15434401
So you have literally no idea how cars work what-so-ever? Probably best that you don't attempt anything yourself. Oh and I'll let you in on a secret, pretty much every new car dealer has a lube area staffed by pot-smoking college kids and dudes that are otherwise useless for anything else. While the service drive is blowing smoke up your ass about "highly trained certified techs" twiddle-dee and twaddle-dumbfuck are monkeying their way through your oil change. They may or may not spill oil all over the place, over tighten the drain plug, under tighten the drain plug, overfill the oil pan, ding your door on the lift post, gouge a wheel when it falls off the car during a tire rotation, over inflate the tires, etc, etc.

Sleep tight princess.
>>
>>15436034
>doesn't prefill the filter before installing to prevent dry start up

gg anon
>>
>>15451197
>Oh and I'll let you in on a secret, pretty much every new car dealer has a lube area staffed by pot-smoking college kids and dudes that are otherwise useless for anything else.

I agree with you on the trained certification issue. Every dealer I see always displays that sign saying they have and use factory certified technicians. But they don't guarantee that 100% of all mechanics, technicians, and apprentices they have are certified. Just enough of them. Legally speaking, a shop can claim to have only 100% certified mechanics, but they might have technicians or apprentices work on your car instead. The other problem with signage is that the converse is not always true as lawyers point out. We have only 100% certified mechanics doesn't mean that 100% of all mechanics are certified. That first statement only means that those mechanics that do have certification have achieved 100% of the certificate goals.

My dealer is not a stealer. His prices ARE high, but so are his costs since I look at the lot and garage and can see huge infrastructure differences between the dealer and a goodyear or firestone shop. Everything at the dealer is robust, lifts are premium and hulk-worthy while goodyear and midas has modest ones. His lot is sparkling, not one bit of trash ever on any inspection drive. He has an open lot, so sometimes I drive my car thru his lot to check out what is there. Not many dealers have open lots. I'm just wondering when I'll get a letter in the mail from his security saying please stop driving thru our lot but they have no sign up yet. It's a dealership that is trying to be 100% welcoming so any sign that says "NO, you cannot do this" is not seen except the one sign "no customers in service area" and it's small in keeping with their attitude

As for druggies, not my dealer. My dealer requires a drug test of every employee. By the way, recreational marijuana use is legal in my state. So that really is a tough discipline policy.
>>
>>15451207
>implying you get all of the oil out with a regular drain & fill oil change
There's a reason you see a higher number on the oil capacity for rebuilds. 4cyl Hondas for example are usually 4.2qt for oil and filter, but for a rebuild you'd put in 5 quarts. There's enough oil left on the crank bearings to keep it sufficiently lubricated in the two tenths of a second before the oil pump has pumped the oil to operating pressure.
>>
>>15407032
Yeah right
>>
>>15407332
Not enough. it's sad and too fucking easy. You do it what, once every 3-6 months?
It costs less than $30 to do mine with full synth and a filter off the shelf and that's not counting the price inflation for the materials, the 20 or 30 bucks labor for the 45 minutes it takes, nor the fact I think most shops charge more if you take more than 5 quarts iirc and mine takes 5.7
>>
>>15445430
fewer polygons = lower loading times
lower loading times = faster commute

It's just common sense
>>
>>15451988
The oil pressure light very briefly comes on than goes out if I don't pre-fill the filter. Might just be a Honda thing though.
>>
>>15445384
>b. HARD BRAKING
>Hard braking means forcing the vehicle to suddenly stop or decelerate in excess of 7mph (Progressive) or 7.7 mph (Nationwide) per second. Safe drivers will see very few instances of hard braking.

>Safe drivers will see very few instances of hard braking.

One of the neat things about Michigan is sometimes you'll see deer just chilling in four-lane roads. Sometimes you'll see them on the side of the road and they have to cross at just that instant and you bet they'll try to race across before you can just pass them. Actually seen two cars get rekt by deer since I started driving home the shift I'm on.

Yeah, this is a wonderful statistic that totally reflects on the driver 100%.
>>
>>15445430
>Why did someone make a car with N64 graphics?
Because Japan. It would be cool if Nintendo asked owners of some of these cars to park somewhere (safe) for awhile so that they could spawn some Augmented Reality pikachu around it. That new game is a big hit. It's too bad it isn't available for Microsoft Hologram glasses because that simultaneous display over reality will be the next frontier. I hope Microsoft saw what is going on and has some AR apps coming for their hologram glasses soon. It would be way superior to having to look at the smartphone constantly.
>>
>land of the free
>company is free to demand (and receive) your private info
>insurers plant black boxes in your car
>insurers use NSA satellites to literally track your mileage while you drive
>>
>>15429236
actual cuckolds would like the humiliation and degradation of being called a cuck or people talking about cuckolding.
>>
>>15452350
>>15452431
>Yeah, this is a wonderful statistic that totally reflects on the driver 100%.

It doesn't reflect on EITHER the car owner OR the car driver yet. The danger of such records is not just on the car, but also the driver as stats are kept on both.

Right now, the insurance companies can get all the driving data for each discrete automobile except for the VIN, plate, and name of the driver due to privacy laws. It's a very thin protection but the legislators may be convinced to change the privacy law to allow insurance companies to have more accurate records.

If not enough people protest, then that is what will happen. The insurance lobbyists are well aware it's a big privacy issue, so they might try to have congress sneak it under the radar. Bernie would never sign it, but Hillary would as she's pro-monitoring and was also one of those against Edward Snowden and his reveal of the governments illegal activities. Certainly Hillary is pretty corrupt and did a lot of influence peddling as the wife of governor clinton. She'd certainly take the corporate money just like before. Ignoring the clinton foundation, there's already an income of $150 million thru honorarium speeches and awards up to the period before she registered as a candidate. After that, it's all recorded, so she stopped with a lot of the influence peddling. But then the email hiding program kept on dogging her. Since she is possibly the next boss of the FBI, they don't want to prosecute her now because all those managers there will be fired and some "For Cause" which means pensions and 401K matching are revoked. So no wonder they decided to stop all prosecutions of their next boss. Justice can be bought evidently.
>>
>>15452431
>>15406966
>land of the free

Freedom is not automatic. It requires constant vigilance. They'll stop me from doing my own oil changes when they take the oil filter wrench out of my cold dead hands.
>>
File: 1464401517503.jpg (31KB, 382x379px) Image search: [Google]
1464401517503.jpg
31KB, 382x379px
>>15452431
>>
>>15452431
>>15452668
>>15406966
>The danger of those records is not just on the car, but also the driver as stats are kept on both.

Since insurance companies like to use data in negative ways, this kind of data collection would let them Double Down their benefits by increasing the rates on both the owner of the car and the driver if they are different. So, if people loan their car out to asshole drivers, that car's owner will also get a dose of karma treatment from the way that asshole drove the car like an asshole would.

Moral of the story: don't loan the car to assholes because the insurance company will make sure the bad karma gets back to you. After all, you FACILITATED the asshole driver onto the public.
>>
>>15406966
>oil change companies
wat
>>
>>15454921
Would prospective employers start to use this data to evaluate possible employees? They use other data as it became available.

The way you drive reflects your personality traits such as callousness, obedience to the law, carelessness, selfishness, immaturity, assholeness, or even if you do strange things like drive late at night.
>>
>>15453741
>Freedom is not automatic. It requires constant vigilance.

I sometimes wish for less vigilance. It makes things a lot less efficient (thus costs are higher indirectly).

Potassium nitrate is a great fertiilizer. So is ammonium nitrate. I remember when my grandfather would buy 50 pound bags of ammonium nitrate. But try to get any of those now and it is nearly impossible for consumers without a license. And people who buy it get recorded since the gov't requires that. I don't care if I get recorded. Nope, not available to consumers at the commercial fertilizer warehouse. I tried to get some since I wanted only nitrogen and not all those other potash things from the weak boxed fertilizers at the hardware store. At this rate, the plants get better nitrogen if I urinate on a new piece of garden soil at all times of the day when I need to go.

Damn druggies and bomb-making muslims in the USA make the good stuff impossible to get for the garden. I don't like using manure for nitrogen, but it's back to using poop due to fear of terrorist sympathizers.
>>
>>15454969
>wat
Oil Change companies such as JiffyLube, QuickLube, and many other chains collect your odometer data and either sell it or trade it in for discounts on discounts on database access. Those database companies then sell the info to insurance companies and others that are interested in using the data.

When you signed up for your insurance policy, you got a rate based upon things like age, credit rating, criminal record, past accidents, where you live, the type of car you have, etc. One thing you said was your expected annual mileage. Many people say some number like 8000 miles, 10,000 miles, or 12,000 miles. If you said 12K, that corresponds to about 1,000 miles per month. So your monthly insurance premium will be based upon that. But what if someone lied to the insurance company to get a lower rate? No problem, they get all sorts of reports from snitches who tell them your mileage. Basically, everyone that looks at your odometer is going to tell them.

So they see you drove 1300 miles this month. They now increase your insurance rate by $29 per month and that is your new rate even if you drive less the next month. It almost never goes down. SO doesn't that feel unfair? They can always raise it but never lower it due to snitching?

That's why some people are upset. It's because they gave the annual estimated rate of 12K, but the insurance company almost lied and looked for the highest peak month rate instead to set your new rate.

So, you said 12K avg per year to set the rate. They never asked you the monthly average. Only the final year total. That is insurance rate $100 per month avg of 1000 mile/month. You drive: jan=1 mile, feb=11,898 miles, mar=1 mile, april=1 mile, may=0,june=0,july=0,aug=0,sept=5 miles,oct=0,nov=1,dec=3.

Your rate: jan=$100 no discount for low miles
feb=$300 due to hi miles
mar=$300 new rate
apr=$300
may=$100 due to quarterly review (policy)
jun=100 no discount for low miles
jul=100
:
dec=100

We hate snitch
>>
File: lavabit_snowden.jpg (38KB, 427x546px) Image search: [Google]
lavabit_snowden.jpg
38KB, 427x546px
>>15452431
>land of the FREE

>company is FREE to demand (and receive) your private info

>insurers FREE to monitor your lifestyle risks and record your travel destinations, mileage, and driving style from your car

>police evaluates citizens based on where and when they drive. If you meet other people, they see other cellphones near you and make assumptions

>your HMO or health plan evaluates your rates based on places you visit or shop at from your car data
>>
>>15406966
Dude that's fucking creepy.
>>
>>15416856
>The cameras used to send license plate info to the computer to crosscheck for valid current tags but due to racism complaints that feature was deactivated
Just because niggers never pay tag fees doesn't mean it is racism.
Fucking doo gooders just fucking shit up.
>>
>>15460198
>Fucking doo gooders just fucking shit up.
The program to catch fake license was even financially successful. It wasn't a money-wasting effort.

But the people it caught were almost always mexicans and blacks. The anti-racism activists said those poor people couldn't afford to license their cars but needed them for jobs. So punishing people who are trying to work and not be on welfare was counter-productive. So the robot scanning for fake car licenses were stopped.

I think it would also be good to stop prosecuting for burglaries and shoplifting and murders too. They are just trying alleviate their financial problems, and putting them in jail stops them from trying to get out of the welfare system trap. If we had simply surrendered to hitler, there would have been no war needed. Peace for all. Super intelligence wins again. But we were stupid and decided to fight people counterfeiting car licenses. That was just more racism.

So wait a minute. That means car license counterfeiting is going on again? And now that the counterfeiters know they cannot be caught by robots they feel encouraged to do it even MORE than before? Nahhh. That couldn't happen, right?
>>
>>15406976
I go to the dealer cuz I get all that shit done for free from them. Including brake pads, alignments and all that other shite
>>
>>15410688
I wish I was so rich, I could just take a Lamborghini and shit it up just because I wanted to play a practical joke on society
>>
>>15406966

This is why go through progressive/hagerty and do your own oil like a non-shitlord. Dad signed his '73 MGBGT for classic insurance at like $20 a month for 1500 miles a year then dove it 2000 miles on his first trip lmao.
>>
File: Compact_Pussycat_Peugeot.jpg (151KB, 820x352px) Image search: [Google]
Compact_Pussycat_Peugeot.jpg
151KB, 820x352px
>>15406966
>oil change companies sell non-anonymized data to insurance companies.

From old thread on self-driving cars:
https://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15404045

Car companies are already working with insurance companies to develop tracking methods of drivers and perfect a driver rating system. Right now, GM is working with various insurance companies and collecting data via Onstar and rating the car drivers.

I recently got an invitation from GM to participate in their new program to rate drivers. Regardless, your insurance rates could go down or most likely go UP.

This will mean the old non-computerized cars have the best value in terms of Big Brother watching you at all times. Just don't carry a cellphone with you since they can determine if you are speeding or not by how fast the phone moves.

Progressive Insurance does have a voluntary monitoring program people can sign up for. You get a small device that plugs into your OBD2 port and it measures what you do since it has a GPS in it too. While your insurance rate can go down, in practice, it seems that most peoples' rates go up. That's because Progressive penalizes your insurance rate for panic braking, hard accelerations, speeding on city roads, going over 90MPH on highways, and driving between 12AM to 4AM.

SCENARIO: Progressive Punishes Good Samaritans:
You drive along and see Penelope Pitstop in her Compact Pussycat parked alongside the road. Smoke comes from her engine compartment. You decide to help her.

You brake hard and come onto the shoulder. You now get an insurance rate hike for hard braking on highway which implies to Progressive you had a near collision. You talk to her and there's no problem. Furthermore, you find out she is gay (lesbian).

In a huff, you take off fast causing a hard acceleration to be recorded against your record.
>>
File: nyaa_23.jpg (74KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
nyaa_23.jpg
74KB, 512x640px
Data gathering goes far beyond odometer info from oil change shops.

>>15462787 >>15458302 >>15459809
>>15450996 >>15445384 >>15445310
GM has the program with Progressive but for now, the privacy laws stop them from sharing your name with the data. You can register with the program though and surrender a number of your privacy rights. Or you can wait for corporate lobbyists from insurance and database companies to convince legislators to allow the data to flow without your express permission for the "good of the children" or "for improved more accurate insurance rates" or "increase jobs and productivity" reasons that lobbyists use for everything.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/4313843204001/currentChannelId/Most%20Recent.gsaOff.html

GM has admitted in the past that even if you are not an active Onstar subscriber, that it has collected driving data from cars that have Onstar.

Quote from Camaro driver who tried it:
"""Just for the hell of it I enabled OnStar smart driver for a week to see what my "driving score" was and what data they were collecting. The best score I got was around a 70. On a particular Sunday where I was driving around town I received a score of 10. On their website they stated a good driver is between 70-90. On top of the score I also saw a map that showed my exact locations of where I rapidly accelerated, pressed "hard" on my breaks, and areas where I turned off my car. I have now swiftly disabled OnStar and am debating a fuse pull. It feels like hard acceleration and hard breaking gets set off really easily. Besides those diagnostics I am not a fan of the whole here's the exact locations where you were speeding sir."""
>>
>insurance has me down for 4000mi a year
>just work has me at 25k a year
>>
>>15462862
They're probably ignoring what you tell them about your annual miles then, and going with what is reported for your odometer.
>>
>>15462787
>going over 90MPH on highways
Shit, I do that almost daily when the highway is clear.
>>
>>15464116
Then don't sign up or allow your data to be passed along. If you have onstar, the data is shared as others have posted already when they got competing offers passed on by GM due to privacy laws not allowing GM to sell the name with that data.

But if you signed up for GM's plan,then you authorize it. I looked at it and I don't remember seeing where you could permanently revoke permission once you gave it away. You can cancel participation, but your permission seems to not be cancelled. That's why I don't sign up even though I'm very curious how well I can rate on the "good driver" ranking system. I think of myself as a good conscientious driver who uses turn signals, slows down if someone signals to get into the lane in front of me, and doesn't intentionally drive to cut people off in hopes of making them rage. But I will go to 65 in order to pass someone that is erratic (their speed varies from 58 to 62 up and down like a yoyo) because I like to set 60 on adaptive cruise control.
>>
File: e55.jpg (50KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
e55.jpg
50KB, 550x550px
>>15407101
This.

Got State Farm when I got my own insurance because rates were decent with family history. After I got my policy State Farm jacked my rates 150% after they found one speeding ticket. I went to an independent agent and got better coverage for less money than state farm in the first place. Fuck State Farm. They had me then fucked me, now I enjoy throwing away their spam mail every week.
>>
>>15462834
It's impossible to avoid hard braking because other people may suddenly cut in. I understand that the insurance company doesn't care whose fault it is, but only whether or not that particular car they are insuring gets into situations of risk. But it still feels unfair to me because I am the one that has to pay for someone else's aggressive driving.
>>
>>15466051
There will be situations that also have higher rates of accidents than normal driving. If the car data shows that you spend more than what they call average time in stop-and-go traffic (whether it is traffic lights, downtown congestion, or freeway), then your rates may go up for that. That kind of situation can't be detected by them normally unless they have access to your car's driving data. While some may point out they only have to look at cellphone location, you can be commuting or on a bus, so they don't want to get sued for using false data.
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.